Looking for a mentor

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

drherb_1216
Learning to Wiggle

Looking for a mentor

Post by drherb_1216 » Fri May 24, 2019 4:59 pm

Total noob! Can someone answer a few questions on connecting a beatstep pro to my eurorack? :despair:

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Sun May 26, 2019 1:13 pm

I'd just ask away if I were you - maybe post the modules you are using (hint use modular grid and link to the actual public grid, not just an image)

but the very basics are

channel 1 and 2 are cv sequencers:

connect the cv out (to the v/oct in of your oscillators)

connect the gate out to however you are generating an envelope for the oscillator, this maybe to a level or ping input on the oscillator itself or an envelope generator controlling a vca which the oscillator audio out is routed through - you may also want to mult this for modulating a filter (with the BSP there is also velocity which could be used for this too)

channel 3 is a trigger sequencer: connect these outputs to the trigger inputs of, for example, drum modules or clock dividers, etc etc etc -you can assign the bottom 8 buttons to these channels - if you have enough drum voices then you could do something like kick, snare,tom1,tom2,tom3,openhat,closedhat,cymbal

nb these buttons are combined with the top 8 for midi output so if you want to use both and then assigning the midi so that the bottom 8 buttons are only for cv is a good idea (you have to use the software for this)

if you want to use the knobs then you'd need to use a midi-cc to cv converter
Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

ckwjr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ckwjr » Mon May 27, 2019 12:29 pm

I use Beatstep Pro's trs MIDI out to the Bitbox trs MIDI in for drum sequencing and use the Beatstep Pro's knobs for velocity control. Saves a lot of patch cables.

nostalghia
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nostalghia » Mon May 27, 2019 12:43 pm

Lots of info in this thread (some of it outdated now, related to bugs/feature requests fixed by later firmware updates):
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=130039&start=all&postdays=0&postorder=asc&sid=a237d96ef1228f2cfbd303e573bc8fbf

Since search function is still broken, workaround is to use google and include the forum name-just search for "beatstep pro muff wiggler" in this case, first couple of hits will give you links to multiple related threads here.
“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky
https://soundcloud.com/nostalghia70s

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Looking for a mentor

Post by kay_k » Mon May 27, 2019 1:12 pm

drherb_1216 wrote:Total noob! Can someone answer a few questions on connecting a beatstep pro to my eurorack? :despair:
how does your Eurorack look like?

Splashwater Boom-Boom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Splashwater Boom-Boom » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:06 am

ckwjr wrote:I use Beatstep Pro's trs MIDI out to the Bitbox trs MIDI in for drum sequencing and use the Beatstep Pro's knobs for velocity control. Saves a lot of patch cables.
You bloody genius. I was about to sell my bsp from disuse, now it may become central to my jam kit. Thanks!

MuadMusic
Common Wiggler

Re: Looking for a mentor

Post by MuadMusic » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:39 am

Genius indeed! I'm not sure I would have thought to skip the TRS to MIDI adapters. I had a beatstep before the beatstep pro came out. I should get the clock out of the beatstep & patch it to the pro for 3 CV/gate/vel outputs.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”