QD Quad Drum Voice by vpme.de

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: QD Quad Drum Voice by vpme.de

Post by av500 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:56 am

windspirit wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:54 pm
Just get a second one ;).

Absolutely loving this module as well. So much flexibility and really easy to get used to menu system.

I realize this would be an entirely different beast but have you thought at all about preset interpolation the way that the sonic potions lxr works? I get a lot of lovely sounds from that.
not sure how that works, can you explain? problem is a preset can have a totally different drum or samples per voice and there is no way to morph between models and/or samples

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:11 pm

im guessing there isn't enough processing power to crossfade between two sets of 4 drums as that would basically double the number of voices, on the LXR when you interpolate a setting where there are a set number of options (like filter type or LFO shape) it will literally just sweep between the settings and it actually sounds pretty good. I'm thinking maybe just interpolating the between selected algorithms could be cool, it could also sound annoying.

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:04 am

yeah, that cant be done, sorry

Bignorthumbrian
Common Wiggler

Post by Bignorthumbrian » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:14 pm

I just bought a second hand QD off eBay and all I can say is WOW, what an amazing module. Very quick to get good results and the sound quality is superb.

Drums and percussion sorted forever :hail:
here hare here!

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:00 pm

Bignorthumbrian wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:14 pm
[...] WOW, what an amazing module. Very quick to get good results and the sound quality is superb.
+1 ... I'm keeping it busy with a combination of Euclidean Circles v2 and a Intellijel Steppy. Endless possibilities, easy to use and a lot of helpful features (e.g. build in LFOs) ... you can even "route" the four voices to the two outputs by using the panning mechanism (in case you have a need for seperating them). Great stuff :tu:

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:56 am

tdallas wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:00 pm
.. you can even "route" the four voices to the two outputs by using the panning mechanism (in case you have a need for seperating them). Great stuff :tu:
Oh, off course! Good thinking. So having e.g. a separate Kick output is easy. And a good choice, that Vladimir did not go all in with separate outputs. For me it always ends up as wasted space.

And yes, it looks great with Davies knobs. :sb:
IMG_4305.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:13 pm

How do I get to settings? The manual says long press on encoder, but I have tried long presses in all modes with no luck. So?

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:21 pm

LDT wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:13 pm
How do I get to settings? The manual says long press on encoder, but I have tried long presses in all modes with no luck. So?
does a short press on the encoder work? e.g. to change the drum models/samples?

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:56 pm

av500 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:21 pm
LDT wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:13 pm
does a short press on the encoder work? e.g. to change the drum models/samples?
Yes. I can get to every function except settings.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:00 pm

Ah wait, long press DOES get me to settings. But I was confused, because I had just been checking out the LFO stuff. In the manual there is a picture of how the circle looks with all the colours. And after that there is a picture of Settings, but the actual module does not look like that in reality.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:24 pm

Also I am not sure about this: How many LFOs are there?

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:30 pm

Ok, I think I have figured out that there is four LFOs.

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:38 pm

LDT wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:30 pm
Ok, I think I have figured out that there is four LFOs.
yes, everything comes in fours, voices, triggers, CVs, LFO, preset banks ... :)

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:07 am

BTW, I think it would be great, if you point out in the manual, that each of the LFOs and each of the CV inputs can be assigned to any of the four voices. It is very easy to assume, that they are tied to each voice. And it is a great feature that they are not.

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:32 am

LDT wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:07 am
BTW, I think it would be great, if you point out in the manual, that each of the LFOs and each of the CV inputs can be assigned to any of the four voices.
This is already in there (the second last point in the feature overview) :tu:
Screenshot_20200314-152543~2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:28 am

Ooops. I think my brain told me it had read the manual, but something tells me that it took the job too lightly. :-D

evasporque
Common Wiggler

Post by evasporque » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:56 pm

Expanded my rack from 96 to 208...found a nice used Structures portable case....soooo....fast forward a week and I have a stream of new modules coming...the QD being one of them....I wanted to get everything in the rack and only have the outboard mixer with 2 effects AUX I am still planning on using the BEatStep Pro and the KP3 for effects and live sampling...being stuck at home...(work from home) but all my summer plans are in the toilet....I thought I would spread some of that $$ to my local region module clone builders and resellers. (Detroit & Michigan Modular and MomoModular) to satisfy my desire for a few classics and some new stuff...

Plaits, CLouds, O_C and a new one Dust of Time....then I added the PM micro sequencer and the QD...I do like minimal tech - dancy stuff as much as I like soft girly plonk or spacey ambient stuff too... but I have had a long relationship with Electribe ESX-1 (Red one), a Jomox kick drum synth, and recently the gloriously wonky TomCat. So Drums were a agonizing decision....

I hope it put some $$ in the builders coffers...I know so many are without jobs now...so cash flow is bound to be down...trying to spread some love....either food, money gifts, or some good old musical consumer spending....

staying safe making some patches...impressing no one...but having some lovely sounds to hangout with...stay safe people

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:20 pm

evasporque wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:56 pm
staying safe making some patches...impressing no one...but having some lovely sounds to hangout with...stay safe people
thanks, stay safe and make some music! :yay:

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:17 pm

Hello there, I’m a total drum fanatic! I’ve had my eye on this for a while but didn’t have the space for it. Ended up with a couple other modules for drums; BIA, FR Transient Plus, Pico drum and a 4ms STS. Except for BIA all of those are sample players, FF Tans+ is the only one that has and oscillator built in that gives it some unique kinda tweakable control over the sounds.

So I’m wondering are the wave tables in this module geared towards drum sounds specifically? I know people pushed for the added feature (as it was only going to be a sampler) and I’m assuming that was the intention.

Everything I’ve seen and heard about this looks/sounds amazing. I’m sure it would be a great addition to what I already have or could replace something altogether.

Kinda surprised this topic is only 3 pages long, maybe everyone is to busy jamming on this thing? Definitely not seeing many complaints. Cheers!

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:03 am

GregIcky wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:17 pm
So I’m wondering are the wave tables in this module geared towards drum sounds specifically? I know people pushed for the added feature (as it was only going to be a sampler) and I’m assuming that was the intention.
the wave tables are not drum specific, but together with the other features like CV or LFO controlled CV morph you can make a wide range of sounds. also, you can always put your own on the card

GregIcky
Common Wiggler

Post by GregIcky » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:27 pm

Finishing my case and realize I don’t have much in the way of hard crashes. How’s the QD for cymbals? Are there some good crashes with long decay?

Also, how’s the output level? I’ve got. FR Transient plus and the samples without any modulation can be really low.

tuj
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tuj » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:19 am

Well you can load your own samples into the QD, so if you aren't happy with the stock sounds, you aren't stuck. I'm trying to recall what stock crash sounds are there and not a lot is coming to mind. The output level is fine, higher than the Transient. You shouldn't have to amplify it.

The contents of the stock memory card are:

1. deKaro Signature Drums
2. deKaro Signature Snares
3. deKaro Signature Hats
4. deKaro Signature Glitches
5. INSTANT Kicks
6. INSTANT Hats
7. INSTANT Claps & Clacks
8. Marco Scherer Kicks 1
9. Marco Scherer Kicks 2
10. Marco Scherer Snares 1
11. Marco Scherer Snares 2
12. Marco Scherer Hats 1
13. Marco Scherer Hats 2
14. Marco Scherer Toms
15. Marco Scherer Claps
16. Marco Scherer Percussion 1
17. Marco Scherer Percussion 2
18. Richard Devine 808 Bent Kit
19. Richard Devine Cwejman S1 Kit
20. Richard Devine Modded ARP 2600 Kit

deKaro
Learning to Wiggle

Post by deKaro » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:57 am

GregIcky wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:27 pm
Finishing my case and realize I don’t have much in the way of hard crashes. How’s the QD for cymbals? Are there some good crashes with long decay?

Also, how’s the output level? I’ve got. FR Transient plus and the samples without any modulation can be really low.
The QD has the option to increase the volume level by adding an internal EQ AND a compressor for the sum! :tu:
i̫͚̬͎̻͗̉

R͋̇̒̏͂͋a̫̝̾ͬ̎ͫn̪̪̪͆̽ͧ͑d̾͑̒ͭͮͨͫo̖͉ͧͮmͦͬ̏ ͔͎̭̯̱͙̏͆̄̇ͪ͊w̠͖͈̖ͮ̌̑̑ͨ̌ͮẩ͙͎̩̺̳ͅĺ̰͖͙̒̌͆̇̎k̍̽͂s̹͎̫̆ͥͣͬ̉ ̣͍͕̬͉̲͑̓͗́͗o̿ͪ̑ͦ̏ͫn̒ ̮̘̜̘̪̉ͭn̮̲̼͎͓͎̮͊ͨ̇ͨͮȇ̮̦̻͖͈̇̓̉ͣv̲̬̪̟̟ͬe̿̔̽r̰̹̍̐̀-̬ͨ̿ë́̅̎̿ͯ̋͑n͍͈͎͙͖͋dͅi̫͚̬͎̻͗̉ñ͈̱g̞̯̠̈́̐ͨ̔̈ͩ ̙͙̹͙̠͍ͮ̀̉ͯ̾p̯͖̰̫͉͇͔a͇t̩̜̗͎ͫ͐ͯ̌͐̓ṭ̭͆̃ͩ̓ḛ̫͈͖̠̼͚̑̇̂͐r͓̳͚͗̅ͩ̋̽̀́ṉ̣͚͔̝͓̎̋̂ͅ

https://www.youtube.com/tonydekaro

Supervillain
Common Wiggler

Post by Supervillain » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:47 pm

Hey!
Any news about an expansion for individual outputs?

deKaro
Learning to Wiggle

Post by deKaro » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:53 am

Supervillain wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:47 pm
Hey!
Any news about an expansion for individual outputs?
Has an expander been announced? :hyper:
i̫͚̬͎̻͗̉

R͋̇̒̏͂͋a̫̝̾ͬ̎ͫn̪̪̪͆̽ͧ͑d̾͑̒ͭͮͨͫo̖͉ͧͮmͦͬ̏ ͔͎̭̯̱͙̏͆̄̇ͪ͊w̠͖͈̖ͮ̌̑̑ͨ̌ͮẩ͙͎̩̺̳ͅĺ̰͖͙̒̌͆̇̎k̍̽͂s̹͎̫̆ͥͣͬ̉ ̣͍͕̬͉̲͑̓͗́͗o̿ͪ̑ͦ̏ͫn̒ ̮̘̜̘̪̉ͭn̮̲̼͎͓͎̮͊ͨ̇ͨͮȇ̮̦̻͖͈̇̓̉ͣv̲̬̪̟̟ͬe̿̔̽r̰̹̍̐̀-̬ͨ̿ë́̅̎̿ͯ̋͑n͍͈͎͙͖͋dͅi̫͚̬͎̻͗̉ñ͈̱g̞̯̠̈́̐ͨ̔̈ͩ ̙͙̹͙̠͍ͮ̀̉ͯ̾p̯͖̰̫͉͇͔a͇t̩̜̗͎ͫ͐ͯ̌͐̓ṭ̭͆̃ͩ̓ḛ̫͈͖̠̼͚̑̇̂͐r͓̳͚͗̅ͩ̋̽̀́ṉ̣͚͔̝͓̎̋̂ͅ

https://www.youtube.com/tonydekaro

Return to “Eurorack Modules”