QD Quad Drum Voice by vpme.de

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

mcpepe
Common Wiggler

Post by mcpepe » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:03 am

av500 wrote:
you can use the already existing wavetable feature for exactly that ;)

yes, there is an expansion header, one could add more outs, but they will be with a higher latency as the builtin ones...
Thanks for the quick answer. It is really a very interesting module. :yay:

Boris_Yeltsin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Boris_Yeltsin » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:21 pm

I've been waiting for this module for about 6 months now, can't wait to see some demos :mrgreen:

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:02 am

Just got some of these in stock and they look excellent in the flesh! :party:

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:03 am

Man, I really want to see some reviews of it. I think it may be the all-in-one drum module I was looking for.

AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Post by AbundantChoice » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:41 pm

Yeah, this is super-tempting. I've got a Matter II for blippy-bloopy weird-patchy percussion stuff, but i've been wanting a good (and not too huge) solution for more 'regular' drums to go along with it. I was *this* close to getting a SSF Entity Bass for kicks, and 2hp Snare and Hat modules, but I think this QD might be perfect and be just the thing I need.

AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Post by AbundantChoice » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:47 pm

Argh, and now it's on sale at a 15% discount at PerfectCircuit. Has anyone played around with the finished version? How are the kicks?

waveplant
Common Wiggler

Post by waveplant » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:29 am

Can this be used as 4 independent tonal voices tracking 1V/Oct?

AbundantChoice
Common Wiggler

Post by AbundantChoice » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:37 pm

Just got mine in from PFC. The box it comes in seems super-tight; the pins on the expander header on the PCB were punched through the bubble-wrap and bent together into a trapezoidal shape. Also for some reason the blue channel didn't want to accept triggers right away and I had to re-seat the cable and move the voice selection for that channel on and off the kick a few times before it started triggering like the other 3. Which is... maybe concerning? Maybe first power-up jitters? Who knows.

Other than that... this thing rules. The Quickstart guide it comes with is more than enough to get it up and running; I had it hooked up to Euclidean Circles and firing off beats in no time. One thing that's not in the quick-start guide (but is in the online manual) is once you move past the first ring of digitally modeled drums and into the sample banks (the blue ring for sample banks 1-16 and the violet ring from sample banks 17-32), the MOD pot for the voice you're choosing selects the sample within that bank; most of the sample banks have a number of samples available. The sample banks have a ton of variety to them as well; some of those kick samples are *beefy*

The built in mixer, compressor, and LFO options are really, really interesting, but I haven't had much time to mess with them yet. I also appreciate the ability to save and load pre-sets: if you get a set of four voices set up just the way you want them, it's trivial to save that state. It looks like you can CV-control state selection too, which might be interesting.

EDIT: now having played around with the built-in compressor, EQ, and panning features, my impression of this module keeps going up. I also like that you can re-assign the 4CV inputs to basically whatever you want; they don't have to go to the 4 MOD pots if you don't want them to. One thing that's not immediately clear from the manual but you figure out is when you assign the CV to a pot using the central circle you literally just point the LED at the pot you want to control, so like in the "blue voice quadrant" it goes Mod - Pitch - Decay as those are the "order" of the closest LEDs to those pots (and then 2 lit LEDs in a quadrant = pan and 3 LEDs= volume). Built-in 32-step attenuators on the CV inputs as well (note that you set attenuation through the central encoder wheel thing; the CV gets added to the pot value; it's not like Rev 1 of the SSF Entity module where the pot became the attenuator when CV was input). The built-in LFOs are interesting as well: it's not just sines, there's synced sines, ramps, squares, random, etc. And you can assign them to whatever in pretty much the same manner you assign CVs: just point the central LED ring at what you want the LFO to affect.

You're never going to get the super-granular level of control over a particular voice you get out of a module dedicated to one sound like an Entity Bass or a Fracture, since each voice only gets 3 pots. But man, if you want a Swiss Army Knife of modular percussion, this one module basically has *everything* you need in 22hp. Having built-in compression, EQ, LFOs, etc is kind of nuts, and even if you never load in your own samples and just use the digital drum models along with the sample banks that come with it, you've got an overabundance of options.

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:41 am

here is the video of the workshop I did at Schneidersladen, covering a lot of the QD functionality and sound samples:

[video][/video]

SnipeCatcher
Common Wiggler

Post by SnipeCatcher » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:06 am

Well, this just got added to ‘the list’

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:18 am

waveplant wrote:Can this be used as 4 independent tonal voices tracking 1V/Oct?
yes (and no). the wavetable drums and some of the drum models can be turned into "VCO" mode by opening the decay fully, then you can use the CV input for v/oct tracking. but beware its not the worlds best tracking CV input.

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: QD Quad Drum Voice by vpme.de

Post by windspirit » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:08 pm

Hey there, really enjoying my quad drum. I'm trying to upload some amen samples (basic I know) and it doesn't seem to be working. I have them loaded into a folder called "01_amen" and there are maybe 5 - 6 slices in there. When I put back in the SD card it seems to be a bank of snares/ claps that has at least 10 - 20 samples in there. I scanned through the other folders but couldn't find the samples I was looking for. Does this necessitate copying the entire sample pool together in one operation or am I doing something else wrong?

Also the 1st mode (808 bassdrum) seems to freeze sometimes, I have to load another drum and then go back to the original. Had the same issue on my friends QD as well, doesn't happen with the other drum modes at all.

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:37 pm

yes, I know about the freezing 808 drum and I am still trying to find out why that happens :/ hang in there, will solve it eventually ...

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:48 pm

about the samples, I just published a new firmware that fixes some WAV files from DAWs not being read, give that a try

tuj
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tuj » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:55 pm

Anyone in the USA have these in stock? (that isn't perfect circuit)

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:00 pm

so far PC is the only US retailer to have picked these up, but I can do a direct sale as well

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:13 pm

oh, btw :)

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:54 pm

FYI I figured out the samples and it was because my files were stereo. Doh, the amen breaks are coming through strong now.

paperCUT
Veteran Wiggler

Post by paperCUT » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:26 am

Are there any plans to do a DIY version? 8-)

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:30 am

paperCUT wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:26 am
Are there any plans to do a DIY version? 8-)
for the moment, no

Geaux
Common Wiggler

Post by Geaux » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:36 am

Any chance euclidean circles gets a black faceplate like this? :hihi:

Drum module looks great though, wish I had room for it!

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:47 am

windspirit wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:08 pm
Also the 1st mode (808 bassdrum) seems to freeze sometimes, I have to load another drum and then go back to the original. Had the same issue on my friends QD as well, doesn't happen with the other drum modes at all.
fixed this bug, get the new v1.3.0 firmware here: vpme.de/qd

ES
Common Wiggler

Post by ES » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:44 pm

This is exactly what I have been looking for for ages! Love the UI and programming simplicity

I would be keen regardless but would a seperate audio outs expansion introduce latency that would be really noticeable? I'm sort of stuck in wanting to be able to process stuff individually.

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:54 pm

Just get a second one ;).

Absolutely loving this module as well. So much flexibility and really easy to get used to menu system.

I realize this would be an entirely different beast but have you thought at all about preset interpolation the way that the sonic potions lxr works? I get a lot of lovely sounds from that.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:06 pm

this looks FUN.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

Return to “Eurorack Modules”