a157b - A new Software for Doepfer's A-157

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

raizen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by raizen » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:18 am

Is it correct that there is no gate mode "adjustable voltage out per step" like in a cv sequencer?
Yes, that is correct.
I could do CV out, adjustable per step. But there are three challenges:
1. I only have a little bit of memory left, but it might fit for 4 tracks.
2 As you write, the input workflow wouldn't be easy, but I could work on that, I'm pretty sure there's a solution.
3. The A-157-2 module works with a LC5628 digital-to-analog converter, which has a resolution of only 8 bits. So I can output a maximum of 256 different values from 0 - 5 Volt (or 0-10 Volt), that would result in 0.0195V steps, and 1V/Octave doesn't work with that - aside from the fact that the output is not calibrated.

What do you think? Would a CV like that help you? Should I keep working on it? Or is that - because an output of a "frequency" is not possible - not useful enough?

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:01 am

raizen wrote:
Is it correct that there is no gate mode "adjustable voltage out per step" like in a cv sequencer?
Yes, that is correct.
I could do CV out, adjustable per step. But there are three challenges:
1. I only have a little bit of memory left, but it might fit for 4 tracks.
2 As you write, the input workflow wouldn't be easy, but I could work on that, I'm pretty sure there's a solution.
3. The A-157-2 module works with a LC5628 digital-to-analog converter, which has a resolution of only 8 bits. So I can output a maximum of 256 different values from 0 - 5 Volt (or 0-10 Volt), that would result in 0.0195V steps, and 1V/Octave doesn't work with that - aside from the fact that the output is not calibrated.

What do you think? Would a CV like that help you? Should I keep working on it? Or is that - because an output of a "frequency" is not possible - not useful enough?
Thanks a lot for your fast reply and the willingness to further develop the firmware!

I would never intend to use the 157 as a note sequencer with cv and gate outs, because there are so many superior solutions in the market, with scales, transpositions and so on. I merely tried out the envelope modes and thought: why is it possible to have a cv envelope per single step but not per 16 steps? A rough cv curve to control a high hat decay, for example. Like with WMD Metron adding a Voltera expander.

So the low DAC resolution and lack of calibration wouldn't be an issue for me. But from what you say and confirm, it's probably a bit complicated and maybe not worth the effort. I mean, the A-157 is a trigger sequencer and nobody would normally ask for a variable cv out if your special gate modes weren't already in place :)

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:54 pm

I would keep it as a trigger sequencer where it shines.
FS: Erica Synths Hi-Hats D $175, Cymbals $175, Stereo Mixer v2 $100, Intellijel 1U Pedal IO $70, MIDI $110, Rebel Tech Bit Reactor $95

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:15 pm

OK, need to report a bug with the new software. Am on the latest version but think I have noticed this with earlier versions too.

The bug is that the sequencer adds or misses a clock beat. Either way it falls out of time, but then comes back in. The image below gives you an idea. This is a recording from a kick drum using a standard 4/4 beat at 90bpm. You will notice that the 4th kick is not evenly spaced versus the prior kicks but then it reverts back to a steady beat. This happened at about 5 mins into a sequence.

I was using the first trigger track for the beat. Haven't seen whether this impacts the other tracks, but would assume it does.

Any chance you could investigate?

Ps. Still love this update!
FS: Erica Synths Hi-Hats D $175, Cymbals $175, Stereo Mixer v2 $100, Intellijel 1U Pedal IO $70, MIDI $110, Rebel Tech Bit Reactor $95

raizen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by raizen » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:27 am

batch wrote:Any chance you could investigate?
Yes, of course!

I can't explain it at the moment, but of course I will take a close look at it. Does it happen regularly? E.g. exactly every x minutes? And: Which module does the clock come from?

Independently of this, I have made the handling of the external clock more robust for the next release, perhaps this will also help. One thing: I am in Japan for the next few weeks, so I can't make the next release available until around Christmas.

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:56 am

Clock was coming from Pam’s New Workout.

Let me investigate a bit and will see if it affects all channels, repeats, etc.

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:38 pm

Just spent the last hour or so investigating.

I set up the a157 so that all channels trigger on 1,5,9,13. Used a 4ppqn clock from Pam's and also a square wave out of a Dixie 2+.

Am getting the same thing happening on all channels, but particularly channels 1, 6 and 7. I tried using different duty cycles on the square wave and think that it occurs more frequently when the the duty cycle is less than 50%.

The behavior is that I get an extra beat. So for example, the beat should be 1, 5, 9, 13, but when it occurs I get an extra beat on the 2 (or 6, 10 or 14). However it comes back in sync with the next beat.

I recorded it set up like this for about 20 mins and had it occur 6 times total.

It would be hard to notice this except when you are using a 4/4 beat and you get an extra one.

raizen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by raizen » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:52 am

Thanks for your help! I was able to reproduce the error; per track it occurred about every 2, 3 minutes, as you said.

With the next release the bug should be fixed (see picture below), I try to make it available as soon as possible.

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:49 am

Would it be hard to implement Euclidean Rhythm? :hyper:
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:22 am

The a157b already has Euclidean Rhythm capability. Read the “effects” section in the manual.

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:44 am

raizen wrote:Thanks for your help! I was able to reproduce the error; per track it occurred about every 2, 3 minutes, as you said.
That‘s funny, because I’ve also encountered this bug several times with the latest fw but so far didn‘t care too much because it was musical and could have been due to reset timing in my patch or whatever. I doubt that it was already present in earlier 157b fw versions though.

raizen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by raizen » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:17 pm

Version 0.9.6 is ready!

- The new panel is supported.
- MIDI Note and MIDI Clock output is now supported. For this the new module a157m is necessary.
- In addition to accent, roll (previously called ratchet) and probability, three types of flam can now also be set per step.
- If another pattern is selected in Single mode, it will be displayed immediately, but the previous pattern will be finished first. If you want all playheads to change to the new pattern immediately, simply press the Select button a second time.
- Fix: In certain constellations, a step was mistakenly output. This happened rarely, about every 2, 3 minutes once.

[video][/video]

As always, the complete release notes can be found here: https://www.rusche.ch/a157b#release-notes
And here is the software: https://www.rusche.ch/a157b-download

The software already supports the new panel and the new MIDI extension module. Please contact me if you're interested: With 20 pre-orders I would start production. The panel would cost about 90$, the module a157m about 50$. That's a lot... Sorry! but those are the production costs. About the a157m: The module is super trivial, it only and passively connects the already existing outputs on the back of the A-157-1 to a MIDI socket.

macs4music
Wiggling with Experience

Re: a157b - A new Software for Doepfer's A-157

Post by macs4music » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:30 am

Hi there, just trying to install on Mac and it gets stuck on the 'Search device:' stage. I'm on Catalina (OSX 10.15).

Regards,

Neil
Started with an Atari 1040STe, at least the timing was good....

raizen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by raizen » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:00 pm

macs4music wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:30 am
Hi there, just trying to install on Mac and it gets stuck on the 'Search device:' stage. I'm on Catalina (OSX 10.15).
I just tried it with Catalina and also USB-C, "here it works":
Please connect the USB cable first, then start the module by holding down the Shift key (the module will stay dark, this is normal). Then start the uploader program.
If it doesn't work: sorry! I will gladly help you, please send me a mail to a157b@rusche.ch, then we can look at it in detail.

Mustermark
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Mustermark » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:27 am

This is fantastic. A great service to the community! It is worth its weight in gold just so that I can save my patterns. Before even starting to explore the other wealth of features.
I really think you could offer a ‘donate’ button so we could show more appreciation for the time and effort you have given this! You made an aluminium brick into a great module! 🤗🤣

[It worked first time on my 2009 Mac Pro with El Capitan.]

macs4music
Wiggling with Experience

Post by macs4music » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:11 am

Raizen I’ll email you later thanks!
Started with an Atari 1040STe, at least the timing was good....

Return to “Eurorack Modules”