a157b - A new Software for Doepfer's A-157

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

raizen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by raizen » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:12 am

Jaypee wrote:Does 157 accept multiple clock input through functions?
Not yet & great idea! It will be part of the next release; I am currently working on more activities, like stop, reset or recall with routing (and Func1-4). Clock fits very well here.

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:24 am

The uploader was 223k and is now 167k with more features - how's that possible? :) Just curious...

Will try out today, finally.

raizen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by raizen » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:16 pm

dbeats wrote:The uploader was 223k and is now 167k with more features - how's that possible? :) Just curious...
I removed the „bootloader“: this code was included but actually never used by the uploader. I think this could have been the cause of a problem some users mentioned („verify step failed, but everything seems fine“).

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:00 pm

raizen wrote:
Jaypee wrote:Does 157 accept multiple clock input through functions?
Not yet & great idea! It will be part of the next release; I am currently working on more activities, like stop, reset or recall with routing (and Func1-4). Clock fits very well here.
I will buy one as soon as multiple clock inputs feature is implemented :)

What 157 should have been from day one!
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

raizen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by raizen » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:57 pm

The (minor) release 0.9.5 is ready! It brings:
- The new activity „Clock": The inputs "Func 1-4" can be used as clocks for individual tracks; these tracks are then not affected by the normal clock.
- The activities „Next" and „Prev": The next or previous pattern is selected.
- Two new Routing gate modes „Stop" and „Reset“: the corresponding functions of the A-157-3 can be controlled by a track.

[video][/video]

The complete release notes can be found here: https://www.rusche.ch/a157b#release-notes
And here is the software: https://www.rusche.ch/a157b-download

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:12 pm

What's your PayPal address?

Amazing!

raizen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by raizen » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:56 am

Jaypee wrote:Amazing!
Thank you very much for your feedback! If you have an additional request (or find a error): please inform me, I would like to continue developing the software a157b according all your wishes.
And, the software is free: I can't possibly charge money for something I enjoy so much ;)

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:26 am

Muffwiglerzzz at its best here!

Big up Raizen!

maltemark
Veteran Wiggler

Post by maltemark » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:58 pm

Has anyone considered doing a new panel or overlay for this fantastic contribution by raizen supported by doepfer developer?
Feel free to use my old samplepacks: https://freesound.org/people/altemark/
--

raizen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by raizen » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:31 am

maltemark wrote:Has anyone considered doing a new panel or overlay for this fantastic contribution by raizen supported by doepfer developer?
I'm currently working on an alternative panel, better suited to the a157b software, but it will probably take 1, 2 months before I'm done with it.

If someone makes a new panel, even with a different arrangement of the functions, I will be very happy to support it with the software, and provide a setting for this panel as well.

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:44 pm

I have an A-157 on the way to me right now :yay:

Hey what CPU does the 157 run on, by the way? Just curious what you used to code this new software!

raizen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by raizen » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:39 am

sutekina bipu-on wrote:Hey what CPU does the 157 run on, by the way? Just curious what you used to code this new software!
The processor is a PIC32, the PIC32MX270F256D. I have rewritten the a157b software from scratch, based on the schematic I received from Doepfer (Thanks to you, Chris!) I left the bootloader on the chip unchanged, so you can go back to the original software. The uploader on the computer is new to be available on different operating systems.

PS: if something is not good, a bug, or something else: Please give me some feedback, I'll fix it in the next version.

Bob Borries
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bob Borries » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:15 am

Finally, Iv'e been waiting for a complete version of the software before buying this. It surprises me that it came from a 3rd party. Great work, definatly a no-brainer buy.

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:50 am

Wow great work!
Makes me reconsider getting a 157 again.
Congrats

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:10 am

This new accent function is amazing! Just like in the original TR-909 (and similar).

Now I need to find a smart solution, something like 8 comparators but smaller and cheaper, to "extract" the higher voltage accent information from the trigger outs. My Hexinverter suite needs separate accent signals for each drum voice.

Any suggestions?

raizen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by raizen » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:51 am

dbeats wrote:Any suggestions?
Yeah, that's a good question:
Some drum modules process the different voltage for accent well, e.g. the modules from MFB and also some from Tiptop. But many need the "digital" accent input. I don't have a solution yet, unless another track is only used for accent. (Since the sockets Func1-4 are only designed as an input, I can't use them.)

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:02 am

The nearest solution I've found so far is the relatively cheap Quad Voltage Comparator by EMW. But two of them would be 20HP and around 200 €.

A better solution would be an 8-channel level converter with a fixed minimum input voltage level of something above 5v. Or an 8-ch offset, set to -5v each.

Btw EMW as a brand in general seems more and more unavailable here in Europe.

raizen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by raizen » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:36 am

I have plans for an extension module for the A-157, but it will take some time, currently it looks like this...

Together with the new panel, it might be ready in a few months.

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:43 am

dbeats wrote:The nearest solution I've found so far is the relatively cheap Quad Voltage Comparator by EMW. But two of them would be 20HP and around 200 €.

A better solution would be an 8-channel level converter with a fixed minimum input voltage level of something above 5v. Or an 8-ch offset, set to -5v each.

Btw EMW as a brand in general seems more and more unavailable here in Europe.
Is this what you need? 8 lm393 on one board. Seems simple enough.

Module Name: 1-way Voltage Comparator Module.
Operating voltage: DC 12V
Typical operating current (relay pull state): DC12V 25mA;
Standby current (relay closed): about 5uA;

Function description (three functions):
Function 1:
Input a voltage and set the reference voltage on the module (the reference voltage can be set through the adjustable potentiometer) contrast;
When the input voltage is greater than the reference voltage, the relay is closed, the circuit connected;
When the input voltage is less than the reference voltage, the relay is disconnected and the circuit is disconnected.

Function 2:
Respectively inputting two voltage signals A and B to be compared;
When the voltage signal A is greater than the voltage signal B, the relay is closed and the circuit is switched on;
When the voltage signal A is smaller than the voltage signal B, the relay is opened and the circuit is disconnected.
Note: Function 2 requires that the jumper cap of the corresponding channel be unplugged.

Function 3:
Contrary to function 1, disconnect the jumper cap shown in the diagram and short-circuit the back contact in the diagram.
Input a voltage and set the reference voltage on the module (the reference voltage can be set through the adjustable potentiometer) contrast;
When the input voltage is less than the reference voltage, the relay is closed, the circuit connected;
When the input voltage is greater than the reference voltage, the relay is disconnected and the circuit is disconnected.

Reference voltage:
The reference voltage of the module is the input voltage after multi-turn precision potentiometer partial pressure obtained, the input voltage value determines the range of reference voltage value. For example, the input voltage is 12V, then the reference voltage adjustable range is 0-12V.

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:32 pm

sutekina bipu-on wrote: Is this what you need? 8 lm393 on one board. Seems simple enough.

Thx, yeah, something like that. Preferably without mechanical relays. Preferably consumer-ready in a small Eurorack module as I have little time and skills for a DIY project.

waves_of_awesome
Wiggling with Experience

Post by waves_of_awesome » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:41 pm

wow! Thank you! Excited to dig into this.

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:07 pm

dbeats wrote:
sutekina bipu-on wrote: Is this what you need? 8 lm393 on one board. Seems simple enough.

Thx, yeah, something like that. Preferably without mechanical relays. Preferably consumer-ready in a small Eurorack module as I have little time and skills for a DIY project.
Im like 99.9% sure youre either gonna need to use that or diy something :hihi:

You could probably bypass all the mechanical relays on that with minimal effort. But check Aliexpress.

raizen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by raizen » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:08 am

dbeats wrote: Now I need to find a smart solution, something like 8 comparators but smaller and cheaper, to "extract" the higher voltage accent information from the trigger outs. My Hexinverter suite needs separate accent signals for each drum voice.

Any suggestions?
I found this info here (PDF):
TRIG INPUT
This input has an approximately 1V trigger threshold and activates the bassdrum when that threshold is met. Almost
any signal can be used here as long as it goes all the way back down to 0V and up again with each repetition.
ACC INPUT
This is the ACCENT input. Applying a 0-5V signal here will vary the ACCENT amount of the bassdrum from least (0V) to
most (5V). ACCENT varies the volume of the bassdrum as well as makes the attack of the sound more aggressive when
at maximum.
If this is true, then you could do it without a comparator, simply set 2 volts for the a157b at "VO Voltage Out" and 5 volts at "VA Voltage Accent" and connect the output of the A-157 to both inputs of the hexinverter with an Multiple.

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:22 pm

raizen wrote: I found this info here (PDF):
If this is true, then you could do it without a comparator, simply set 2 volts for the a157b at "VO Voltage Out" and 5 volts at "VA Voltage Accent" and connect the output of the A-157 to both inputs of the hexinverter with an Multiple.
Yeah, that's true, thx for the research and suggestion! I know, I've also had that idea. But a 2v trigger would always also induce a 40% accent per default, which would only be a mediocre solution for me. Besides, I also have a couple more drum voices that are not hexinverter, and some of them do respond dynamically to lower voltage triggers. Since the voltage settings in the 157b are global (which is gorgeous) and not per track (which I would never ask for), I would only solve one problem in exchange for a new one.

I've already scanned all those MG entries back and forth several times, and several different solutions came into my mind, like comparators, offsets, switches, but so far no satisfying solution in terms of HP and cost. I might not need accents for all 8 channels, so a 4-ch comparator like the EMW one would probably be a reasonable starting point. If only I could order it online somewhere in Europe...

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:46 am

Spent some more time with a157b. It's really easy to configure, it's a great user interface with neat visualisation, and therefore easy to memorize. Individual clock division per track is still my #1 feature. Gate lengths and voltage levels are also super useful settings, as well as reset behaviour.

I've just tried out the gate modes ED and ES as well as the performance modes PK and PF - simply amazing. One question or request: Is it correct that there is no gate mode "adjustable voltage out per step" like in a cv sequencer? This would be a much more common feature compared to the envelope modes, but would probably need a new work flow to program, right?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”