emitum thin and clean power case!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Re: emitum thin and clean power case!

Post by plainjanefrancis » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:22 pm

This case looks super nice. I'm a little disappointed about the power, however. It provides the same amount of power as 1 Intellijel Palette case. If I were to move from my two palette cases to this one, I'd still be over the power limit (not including my 1U rows) Now I'm trying to figure out if I should sell some of my digital modules to make this case work... :help:

mikmanner
Common Wiggler

Post by mikmanner » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:51 pm

I have this case its very good. The power I was concerned about but Jason at Signal Sounds contacted the guy who makes them and was told the real upper limit is 1700 not the advertised 1200 +12 I guess maybe it's less efficient past 1200? No idea. But I have been running it at about 1500 for a couple months and it's fine still super clean.

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:40 pm

mikmanner wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:51 pm
I have this case its very good. The power I was concerned about but Jason at Signal Sounds contacted the guy who makes them and was told the real upper limit is 1700 not the advertised 1200 +12 I guess maybe it's less efficient past 1200? No idea. But I have been running it at about 1500 for a couple months and it's fine still super clean.
Thanks for posting this info! That's great to hear. I just placed my order, so hopefully my setup will work as well (fingers crossed).

*update, I got an email from Frank of Emitum saying that the PSU actually can handle up to 2A+12v (max) and is stable at 1.8A

attacca
Common Wiggler

Post by attacca » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:21 pm

I just ordered this case, I hope it works out well. I've been wanting a smaller 2x84 or 2x104 similar to intellijel but without their 1U row/IO for years!

Can someone share a use case for the Quad Balanced Outs? Any idea on the voltage input range for use with battery power?

Thanks!

attacca
Common Wiggler

Post by attacca » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:51 pm

DO NOT BUY THIS CASE! This is not worth $425, the materials are cheap, it is poorly though out, and poorly put together. I only paid $382 and it is still a ripoff.

The threaded inserts aren't the right pitch so I am unable to fill either the top or bottom row. I can only fill about 3/4 of the row before the holes are no longer aligned.

When I received the case the lid had slid down over the case (if modules were installed the lid would be on the knobs). The aluminum is thin and flexes a lot allowing the case to slide over its ~1.5mm lip instead of resting on it. Also, I would not trust that handle with a full case.

Almost all of the screws were loose, barely hand tight (busboard was ok). Top and bottom rails flopping freely (bottom rail upside down).

The quad balanced outs (seriously what is the point of these) do nothing but get in the way and take up precious depth. I cannot install a Mutable Links or Peaks (25mm deep) in the top left corner without the ribbon connector hitting the outs preventing the module to sit flush. You shouldn't have to worry about a 25mm deep module fitting....ever.

I don't really trust the power either, it works but I would expect it to be more precise. I get 5.261v on the 5v rail and only 11.95v on the +12v rail. I tested with and without modules installed and let it warm up for a bit. My EP-360 has 5.02v on the 5v rail even if the case is empty or full and is dead on 12v too. I don't know how sensitive modules are these days, it may be nothing.

Anyway the case is nothing but a disappointment. The quad outs should be ditched, the busboard should be either on the top or bottom, in the middle just fucks your depth on both rows. The aluminum should be a bit heavier duty or at least give the lid a platform to rest on or some reinforcement.

Save your money, the cardboard box the case comes in is stouter than the case itself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

attacca
Common Wiggler

Post by attacca » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:06 am

I would like to give an update.

Emitum (Frank) have been very accommodating and patient with me (I was pretty unpleasant to them in my email). I was informed there were some QC issues with an early batch and I got one that slipped through and assured the rails and power are better now.

They have offered to replace the case free of charge.

I will update again when the new one arrives.

attacca
Common Wiggler

Post by attacca » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:33 pm

Alternate title could be: Sán-Sán Review Pt. 2: Electric Boogaloo and it wouldn't be far off.

This is a follow up to my original review of said case.

I was sent this replacement for free directly from Emitum, they did not want the other case in return (I had already RMA'd it with PC anyway and ordered a different brand altogether from Thomann). I was pretty upset with them and imagine the free case was them trying to salvage reputation, I told them I was going to review the replacement. This case has the updated busboard design and rails. Notice the right angle keyed headers this time.

Long story short, this case is worse than the first one. Pictures and details are in the imgur gallery below (easier that way, I have a couple places to post this).

Also, as soon as I powered on the case, the busboard started emitting (Emituming) very high pitched electrical noise akin to coil whine. I made a recording as fair as I could, no fuckery. I kept the mic equal distances from myself and the busboard, I didn't mess with the gain to make it sound worse than it is. I didn't even convert the .wav to .mp3 as to be completely transparent. Have a listen:

https://u.teknik.io/mmeW6.WAV

Overall I'm pretty disappointed in the whole situation. I have much better things to do than rearrange my racks, arrange RMAs, make trips to the post office, trade countless emails, and write reviews to warn people.

I'm sure starting a competitive Eurorack company in this day and age is hard work and I applaud them for trying. But IMHO, these products are not fit for sale, especially how picky noodlers/wigglers can be.

Thanks for reading.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”