ADDAC701.REV2 VCO

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

dekemcculo
Common Wiggler

ADDAC701.REV2 VCO

Post by dekemcculo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:07 pm

Any word on when this is going to be released/audio demos? Haven't been able to find anything on this, but it appears to be live on the addac website with prices and specs and whatnot. looks very cool for FM and great value both in terms of price and hp, so I've been surprised there's not more convo about it.

http://www.addacsystem.com/product/adda ... dac701rev2

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:59 am

Saw it on preorder at one site and a blurb from a japanese blog about it, awful tempted just hoping to hear a sound demo!

I will likely preorder one regardless. The demos of the origina 701 sounded bad ass. Really tight tone and accurate pitch.

Buttons ARE toys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Buttons ARE toys » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:01 am

This one has caught my eye as well. ADDAC stuff seems to be very good quality and I really like the onboard waveform mixing and octave switch.

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:24 am

They are out & available!! Nice HP size and features. I planned to replace a few original 701s with rev2s however I found an odd issue in LFO mode and frequency range limitation to Octave switching. In short it did not function the same as LFO mode in the old 701 which created a tuning problem when patched to a sequencer. I contacted ADDAC regarding and they changed a capacitor on newer rev2s to account for however I'm waiting the part (capacitor) to perform the mod/test myself. If you order you shouldn't experience the issue I have since it should be fixed....but for me I'll have to wait.

Psalm37
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Psalm37 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:11 am

monads wrote:They are out & available!! Nice HP size and features. I planned to replace a few original 701s with rev2s however I found an odd issue in LFO mode and frequency range limitation to Octave switching. In short it did not function the same as LFO mode in the old 701 which created a tuning problem when patched to a sequencer. I contacted ADDAC regarding and they changed a capacitor on newer rev2s to account for however I'm waiting the part (capacitor) to perform the mod/test myself. If you order you shouldn't experience the issue I have since it should be fixed....but for me I'll have to wait.
How did it sound out of LFO mode, satisfactory or better?
-----------------------------------------------------
http://www.timmantle.com/about.html
-----------------------------------------
https://www.instagram.com/timplease37/

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:22 am

It sounded nice. But I didn't perform any direct comparisons to the original since I had the tuning issue and subsequently pulled from my rack immediately thereafter. I'm waiting to receive the part from addac, do the mod then compare against the original.

Buttons ARE toys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Buttons ARE toys » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:09 pm

I'm confused about how the mixing section works. How do you determine what waveforms you're actually mixing together? Are the Sin/Tri and Saw/Rect knobs to control balance between each of those waveform pairs (i.e. balance between sine and triangle) and then the mix knob a control of the balance between Sin/Tri and Saw/Rect?

Psalm37
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Psalm37 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:23 pm

Buttons ARE toys wrote:Are the Sin/Tri and Saw/Rect knobs to control balance between each of those waveform pairs (i.e. balance between sine and triangle) and then the mix knob a control of the balance between Sin/Tri and Saw/Rect?

Yes exactly...Also, I should have updated on my experience with this module after I purchased one. Basically, I think it's excellent. Very tight, responsive and well rounded. I love it. Thinking of buying a few more.
-----------------------------------------------------
http://www.timmantle.com/about.html
-----------------------------------------
https://www.instagram.com/timplease37/

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:48 pm

It's very precise and has some great features but I sold mine because at the ed of the day it's just another 3340 vco. A neutron isn't as precise but a heck a lot cheaper for what you get :cry:

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:25 am

At 160eu it looks fairly priced though. Rev1 was almost 3 x that.
It would be nice if it included a sub.

evs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by evs » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:01 pm

Anyone used it yet?
Is the sine clean enough for fm?
(Would like to have a clean sine as a source for my tz osc...)

And, I read it in another thread also, that it’s „just“ a 3340 vco..
I don’t know what that means, is it so cheap? Is it so often used?
And if so, which oscs do use it? (Except the behringer one...)

malnourish
Learning to Wiggle

Re: ADDAC701.REV2 VCO

Post by malnourish » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:15 pm

Looking to pull the trigger on one of these in the next couple days, seems like a sound purchase but if anyone has any qualms I'd love to hear them lol

euxine
Wiggling with Experience

Post by euxine » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:20 pm

If I was in the market for 'basic' oscillators, this would be at the top of my list. Amazing price and good features in a small package. Pretty too😍

malnourish
Learning to Wiggle

Post by malnourish » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:27 pm

euxine wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:20 pm
If I was in the market for 'basic' oscillators, this would be at the top of my list. Amazing price and good features in a small package. Pretty too😍
that's what i'm thinking, great feature set for cost esp. compared to some of the other oscs i was considering, like an STO or an EVEN VCO. I am also really interested in the NANO ONA but i'm too impatient and this gives me almost all the functions besides a sub out

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:22 pm

No qualms, I really like mine. Octave switching, good mix of waveforms, tracks really well. It's my 'basic' module in the case, sitting next to a Verbos HO and a SSF ZPO so it usually plays the role of the modulator. But I could imagine having a few of these in a small case as a main voice.
FS: Bargain Bin updated 8/4, Eloquencer+EME steal, more
viewtopic.php?p=3062675

miminashi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miminashi » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:45 pm

I got one of these and took it out of my rack after about 5 minutes, the issue being that it seems to require negative voltages to reach low notes, even with the tune control and octave switch fully counter-clockwise. I'm driving things from the old Cirklon which is putting out 0V to 10V, but this thing seems to be wanting +/- 5V. Am I mistaken?

euxine
Wiggling with Experience

Post by euxine » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:10 am

miminashi wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:45 pm
I got one of these and took it out of my rack after about 5 minutes, the issue being that it seems to require negative voltages to reach low notes, even with the tune control and octave switch fully counter-clockwise. I'm driving things from the old Cirklon which is putting out 0V to 10V, but this thing seems to be wanting +/- 5V. Am I mistaken?
Reading through the calibration procedure, it looks like fully ccw should give 32.7 hz (C1). If that's not what you're getting, then perhaps it needs to be calibrated? Addac are also very helpful with stuff like this👍

miminashi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miminashi » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:10 pm

euxine wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:10 am
Reading through the calibration procedure, it looks like fully ccw should give 32.7 hz (C1). If that's not what you're getting, then perhaps it needs to be calibrated? Addac are also very helpful with stuff like this👍
Thanks, euxine. I don't think there's any recourse in the calibration, the offset trimmer is already pretty much at the bottom. This VCO has plenty of tuning range, unfortunately for me it's all up. That's why I'm wondering if it was designed with bi-polar CV in mind.

I'll have to verify, but I think that's the tuning that I'm getting, and unfortunately that is still an octave or two higher than I would like for a few reasons. One reason is that I like a bit of sub-sub-bass in my controllable range, such that 0V-1V bumps against LFO territory. Another reason is that the lowest octave on the Cirklon CVIO is not well-behaved, especially near 0V, so that the musically-useful octaves start at 1V (there is an updated CVIO that fixes this, BTW).

Return to “Eurorack Modules”