ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Crimesofthecrown
Common Wiggler

Post by Crimesofthecrown » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:53 am

Real slow and heavy beat on this one:

The Squid is the best!
GOD IS WAR - Curator of Hyper-Violent Industrial and Heavy Electronics

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:17 am

NS4W wrote:
Trebbers wrote:
Multi Grooves wrote:
NS4W wrote:
insoul8 wrote:
NS4W wrote:1. Is there a guide anywhere how to add cue points to a wav file? Preparing the files on the computer before adding them to the usb stick might be a bit faster than doing it on the tiny screen :sb:

2. Is the limitation to 32 cue markers a memory issue or a design choice? If possible I would like to have had the ability to add more markers.
An 11 second sample split into 32 evenly spaced sections gives you 340ms per section. What are you trying to do that you need more markers?
I'm interested in CV over sample, and as many as possible. Using cue points is the only option to do this.
:tu:

I often get stuck on these things due to not knowing the verbiage.

My brain is stuck. Can explain this for a temporary simpleton?
The module can output DC, so they want to use the module as a CV source by having a sample with different CV values per cue marker.
Maybe my english was ambiguous - but what I want is to be able to change samples via CV.
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NS4W » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:38 am

After playing some more with the squid I have discovered the following:

I have 32 cues on a channel 1 for example.
I assign CV1 to cues. This is a static offset CV that let me turn a knob to change the cue. I assign CV2 to cues as well. Here I have an LFO that I can mute.

If I mute the LFO, so there is no CV going to CV2, the channel will alternate between triggering cue 1 and the cue set by CV1. In my understanding it should only trigger the cue set by CV1 in this situation.

If I unmute my LFO, the mixing of the two CVs seems weird, the module still wants to return and play cue 1 a lot... Ideally CV1 would set the inital cue point and then CV2s LFO would modulate to the cues coming after CV1s position.

Is this a bug? :cloud:

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:36 am

NS4W wrote:
Is this a bug? :cloud:
Dunno 8-) Sounds like you are expecting the 2 separate CV assignments to be combined together when what is happening is like a battle between the two ?

Does it work as expected if you mix the two CV's together externally and route into a single assign input ?

NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NS4W » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:17 pm

[quote="ALM"]
Dunno 8-) Sounds like you are expecting the 2 separate CV assignments to be combined together when what is happening is like a battle between the two ?

Does it work as expected if you mix the two CV's together externally and route into a single assign input ? [/quote]

So there is no internal CV mixing, only an alternating CV battle within the squid?

External CV mixing works of course, I'd need a few mixers to obtain the desired routing. This would add extra cost and HP. Aren't the numbers already there in the ADCs ready to do the proper math - no?

I fail to see the benefit of this alternating behaviour contra internal CV mixing :hmm:

NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NS4W » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:52 am

CV mixing before the squid opened up for some interesting macro control of my modulation - so thanks for that tip! On the other hand I still think as long as its possible to map different CVs to the same parameters that the "battle of the cvs" behaviour ought to be be sorted out :sb:

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:28 am

NS4W wrote:On the other hand I still think as long as its possible to map different CVs to the same parameters that the "battle of the cvs" behaviour ought to be be sorted out :sb:
Yep don't worry it will be sorted - considering it a bug.

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:51 pm

To clarify its not so much a battle but if you assign multiple CV's to the same parameter, the highest numbered one will take precedence currently.

If you want to add a simple offset (without mixing in a DC signal) to a CV assigment, with CV assigned press Func+Assign button and you can edit the attenuation for the input and then pressing assign again will let you add/edit a fixed offset.

This is all very similar behaviour as Pam CV's handling.

I've added doing proper CV mixing (rather than precedence) to the todo list.

NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NS4W » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:30 am

ALM wrote:To clarify its not so much a battle but if you assign multiple CV's to the same parameter, the highest numbered one will take precedence currently.
I've added doing proper CV mixing (rather than precedence) to the todo list.
I've only explored CV over cues yet, but there as explained above, there seems to be no precedence, only a 50/50 alternating between the two. Anyhow - glad CV mixing is on the todo :tu:

Further on the discussion on the number of cue sets available pr sample FWIW: My wavs filled with 32 different hits assigned to 32 cues now average around 5/6 seconds long - leaving potentially room for approx 32 more cues with the max 11second sample limit if this becomes a possibility.

Having lots of fun with the module as I'm getting into it!

Cryosion
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cryosion » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:43 pm

First off, let me say I love the Squid Salmple so far! It's exactly what I wanted and pairs perfectly with my Metron. I'm still going through all the stock samples, I haven't even begun to add my own yet.

I am having an issue with it though, and hopefully it's just me doing something wrong/stupid. I currently have the mix out going into my mixer module with some other oscillators, but the SS is way quiet compared to them. Even with the mixer volume turned up to max, it's still not even half as loud as any other oscillator. Yes, I know you can turn up the volume of each channel, but even at 100 (which distorts like crazy) it's not that different.

I already tried moving the power cable to a different plug in my case, just to see if that would help, but I have no idea what else to try. Am I doing something wrong here?

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:28 pm

ihavea4 wrote:First off, let me say I love the Squid Salmple so far! It's exactly what I wanted and pairs perfectly with my Metron. I'm still going through all the stock samples, I haven't even begun to add my own yet.

I am having an issue with it though, and hopefully it's just me doing something wrong/stupid. I currently have the mix out going into my mixer module with some other oscillators, but the SS is way quiet compared to them. Even with the mixer volume turned up to max, it's still not even half as loud as any other oscillator. Yes, I know you can turn up the volume of each channel, but even at 100 (which distorts like crazy) it's not that different.

I already tried moving the power cable to a different plug in my case, just to see if that would help, but I have no idea what else to try. Am I doing something wrong here?
That doesn't sound right to me. I was just using mine with a m32 and Sid guts deluxe and it sounded as loud as everything else in my mix. Could it be the input of your mixer?
Last edited by plainjanefrancis on Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cryosion
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cryosion » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:43 pm

plainjanefrancis wrote:
That doesn't sound right to me. I was just using mine with a m32 and Sid guts deluxe and it sounded as loud everything else in my mix. Could it be the input of your mixer?
I just tried a few more inputs on my Happy Nerding 6x mix, and they all sounded the same. I also have a 2hp mix that also sounded quiet, so I don't think it's the mixer.

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:36 am

ihavea4 wrote: I just tried a few more inputs on my Happy Nerding 6x mix, and they all sounded the same. I also have a 2hp mix that also sounded quiet, so I don't think it's the mixer.
Do the individual outs also sound low ? even when level is right up ?

Have you checked levels with something visual like a scope / even daw ?

Cryosion
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cryosion » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:34 pm

ALM wrote: Do the individual outs also sound low ? even when level is right up ?

Have you checked levels with something visual like a scope / even daw ?
I just double checked a few different sets of samples on each output (main, and each group) they all sound roughly the same level. Compared to my Moog DFAM and M32, it feels right with those synths at about half volume. Compared to my 4MS SWN, that needs to be at around 1/3 volume.

I don't have a scope or anything, and I run everything through the same input on my audio interface so I don't think the DAW will help much?

If this is just how I have to use it, I'll manage, I was just hoping I was doing something dumb, or there was an easy fix. It sounds like it's just me though, unless anyone has any other ideas?

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:53 pm

would love to see (if possible) an update that allows you to have a folder that's filled with more than 8 samples, that you could pull from into any bank that you're currently working on.

I like to start from scratch and load in samples that fit whatever project I'm working on, as apposed to pre-allocated kits/banks. But I also dig the dead simple approach to Squid.

NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NS4W » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:51 am

plainjanefrancis wrote:would love to see (if possible) an update that allows you to have a folder that's filled with more than 8 samples, that you could pull from into any bank that you're currently working on.

I like to start from scratch and load in samples that fit whatever project I'm working on, as apposed to pre-allocated kits/banks. But I also dig the dead simple approach to Squid.
If you use the LOAD1 function you are able to load a channel/sample from a different bank to just a single channel.

Also, using cue sets, you have possibly 32 samples on each channel to select from :sb:

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:10 am

NS4W wrote:
plainjanefrancis wrote:would love to see (if possible) an update that allows you to have a folder that's filled with more than 8 samples, that you could pull from into any bank that you're currently working on.

If you use the LOAD1 function you are able to load a channel/sample from a different bank to just a single channel.

Also, using cue sets, you have possibly 32 samples on each channel to select from :sb:
I've been loading individual samples from other banks from the start, and it works really well, just not the same workflow I'm used to with mpcs and elektrons. BUT you're absolutely right about using cues. I've never really used cue points or markers in general, but this seems like a great workaround for my purposes :).

Tomorrow Sounds Good
Common Wiggler

Post by Tomorrow Sounds Good » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:10 am

Is there anyway to control all samples simultaneously, ie reverse everything?

NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NS4W » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:22 am

Tomorrow Sounds Good wrote:Is there anyway to control all samples simultaneously, ie reverse everything?
You can assign one CV to the same parameter on all channels - effectively controlling all samples.

Tomorrow Sounds Good
Common Wiggler

Post by Tomorrow Sounds Good » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:40 pm

NS4W wrote:
Tomorrow Sounds Good wrote:Is there anyway to control all samples simultaneously, ie reverse everything?
You can assign one CV to the same parameter on all channels - effectively controlling all samples.

DJ Tap Water
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DJ Tap Water » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:12 pm

I have a question about CV addressing cue sets: say if you have a sample with 2 cue sets, how is the range of cv assigned to cue set selection? Since there is a maximum of 32 cue sets, is the 0-5v range split into 32? This would make it fiddly to adjust which cue set you are triggering on the fly via cv. It would be cool if the amount of cue sets in the sample affected the CV response, so with 2 cue sets 0-2.5v would be cue set 1 and 2.6-5v would be cue set 2. It would make the squid easier to sequence. I'm thinking of getting one and the cue sets are one of the most interesting things for me:)

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:17 am

alrighty, I'm having an issue with saving cue sets that I make within Squid. Cue sets I make on my computer work perfectly in Squid. But for samples that I've added cue points to directly from Squid, when I save the sample, or the entire bank, no matter what, when I turn off my system and turn it back on, Squid doesn't save any of the cue's I've made.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, any ideas?

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:07 am

DJ Tap Water wrote:I have a question about CV addressing cue sets: say if you have a sample with 2 cue sets, how is the range of cv assigned to cue set selection? Since there is a maximum of 32 cue sets, is the 0-5v range split into 32? This would make it fiddly to adjust which cue set you are triggering on the fly via cv. It would be cool if the amount of cue sets in the sample affected the CV response, so with 2 cue sets 0-2.5v would be cue set 1 and 2.6-5v would be cue set 2. It would make the squid easier to sequence. I'm thinking of getting one and the cue sets are one of the most interesting things for me:)
The selected *total* number of cue sets is split across the 5v range - i.e so 2 cues sets would work as you describe.

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:09 am

plainjanefrancis wrote:alrighty, I'm having an issue with saving cue sets that I make within Squid. Cue sets I make on my computer work perfectly in Squid. But for samples that I've added cue points to directly from Squid, when I save the sample, or the entire bank, no matter what, when I turn off my system and turn it back on, Squid doesn't save any of the cue's I've made.
Its seemingly saving them but the squid is then not loading back in ?

DJ Tap Water
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DJ Tap Water » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:56 am

ALM wrote:
DJ Tap Water wrote:I have a question about CV addressing cue sets: say if you have a sample with 2 cue sets, how is the range of cv assigned to cue set selection? Since there is a maximum of 32 cue sets, is the 0-5v range split into 32? This would make it fiddly to adjust which cue set you are triggering on the fly via cv. It would be cool if the amount of cue sets in the sample affected the CV response, so with 2 cue sets 0-2.5v would be cue set 1 and 2.6-5v would be cue set 2. It would make the squid easier to sequence. I'm thinking of getting one and the cue sets are one of the most interesting things for me:)
The selected *total* number of cue sets is split across the 5v range - i.e so 2 cues sets would work as you describe.
Thank you! Excellent, that's what I wanted to hear

Return to “Eurorack Modules”