ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Crimesofthecrown
Common Wiggler

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by Crimesofthecrown » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:48 am

Recently created an EP using nothing but the Salmpler. Entitled "Yakuza", you can listen below:

Enjoy for all you folks in quarantine!

I fall more and more in love with this module the more I use it!
GOD IS WAR - Curator of Hyper-Violent Industrial and Heavy Electronics

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:58 pm

Crimesofthecrown wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:48 am
Recently created an EP using nothing but the Salmpler. Entitled "Yakuza", you can listen below:
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:01 pm

technocalypse wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:06 pm
is it possible to mute or solo multiple channels at the same time (with one click) for performance?
Nope just one at a time. I think setup/management would end up way too fiddly on Squid to be practical ...your likely better doing it externally in your sequencer, mixer etc.

baleen
Common Wiggler

Post by baleen » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:12 pm

ALM wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:01 pm
technocalypse wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:06 pm
is it possible to mute or solo multiple channels at the same time (with one click) for performance?
Nope just one at a time. I think setup/management would end up way too fiddly on Squid to be practical ...your likely better doing it externally in your sequencer, mixer etc.
i'm mostly using mute/solo for troubleshooting ("which channel is clipping"). having a dummy cable ready is an easy way to mute if you are sending to the mix out.

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:52 pm

I pleased to announce a bew BETA release firmware some much requested new features.. from Changelog;
VER 121 BETA (3/20)
==
 - Add new recording modes;
       + Replace (As orig)
       + Overdub (Record over existing sample at 50% volume)
       + Extend (Tag on to end of current recording, craeting a Cue set)
 - Tidy up Cue Sets screen and add new 'Auto' cue creation option.
       + Cue sets are made with Env follower and zero crossings
 - Add new 'E Trig' screen under Env.
       + Trigger is sent when sample playback finsihed. Can be 'Virutal' to
          trigger another chan or 'Physical' via trigger output.
       + Assigning CV controling virtual destination. 
- Fix bug with saved cue sets potentially getting offset when sample cropped.
- Fix potential lockup up with some operations on full length chan 8.

You can download here - https://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm022/121-BETA/

Full changelog is here; https://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm022/ChangeLog.txt

There is also an updated (beta) manual there which should cover the new features.

Please please please try and provide feedback if you encounter any problems. I know its a 'BETA' but here at ALM Towers we've been using for a while and seems solid (and a lot of :hyper: ).

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:39 pm

this new update :hail:

Control
Common Wiggler

Post by Control » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:09 pm

Looks really great. Thanks for posting the beta firmware.

finegroove
Learning to Wiggle

Post by finegroove » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:05 pm

:party:
Super excited to be getting one of these Monday, hopefully! I ordered a FLUX - Temporal Modulation Rhythm Sequencer on Kickstarter to go with this and a 10 pack of USB sticks to fill while awaiting delivery 🚚. I think 🤔 these modules will work very well with each other. I think there’s still some of the Fluxes available for preorder. Now to dust off my drum 🥁 machines and start making salmples, achoo :eek:
Plug In, Turn Knob, Drop Out
What happens when I press this bu...

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:24 pm

The only issue I'm running into with the 121-beta firmware is the ability to save cv parameters. I've set up a bank to work like the live looper demonstrated in the first Deep Dive video. But when saving the entire bank, or each channel individually, it doesn't save the loop setting and attack settings.

benofbrown
Learning to Wiggle

Post by benofbrown » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:26 pm

ALM wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:52 pm
- Fix potential lockup up with some operations on full length chan 8.
I hit this a couple of times today, it was pretty confusing.

I'll give this a try soon.

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:14 am

plainjanefrancis wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:24 pm
The only issue I'm running into with the 121-beta firmware is the ability to save cv parameters. I've set up a bank to work like the live looper demonstrated in the first Deep Dive video. But when saving the entire bank, or each channel individually, it doesn't save the loop setting and attack settings.
Will check into it. This worked ok previously for you ? and if which version ?

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:27 am

ALM wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:14 am
plainjanefrancis wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:24 pm
Will check into it. This worked ok previously for you ? and if which version ?
To be fair, I never paid much attention to saving CV settings in the past aside from custom Cue Sets.
Just testing it again, If I save a bank with cv setting changes and samples and try to save it to a new bank, the changes don't save*
I was able to get it to save properly once, by copying the settings from Channel 1 to channel 2 and 3. But the initial save didn't keep if I switched to another bank and then back to the bank I was trying to save. I had to first turn of the system, and turn it back on and then the settings were saved properly but only for the channels where I specifically copied them from channel 1.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I'm going to try to problem solve on my end today, I have nothing but time these days :)
And I'm not stressing about it, it's good for my muscle memory setting up the live looper anyway.

Just tested it again, I can only get settings for a bank to save cv settings by copying from channel one and then cycling the power.

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:30 am

plainjanefrancis wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:27 am
Just tested it again, I can only get settings for a bank to save cv settings by copying from channel one and then cycling the power.
Im not having much luck replicating this. Could you email specific step to help at busycircuits ... a video would be really useful too if pos.

ronnieb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ronnieb » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:49 am

By any chance, would it be possible to add an inverting option to the CV attenuation/offset menu?
One thing I keep wishing I could do is when I use a random CV source for the speed of a channel, I wish I could assign the inverted CV of that random to the decay parameter so that the low notes have a similar decay to the high ones. This is one of a million use cases obviously but one I keep wishing I had.

Do you reckon it could be something to add to your long list of feature requests Matt? :hail:

PS. The new firmware is so sweet, ETrig idea is not something I thought I would use much but is worlds of fun to play with!

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:55 am

ALM wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:30 am
plainjanefrancis wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:27 am
Im not having much luck replicating this. Could you email specific step to help at busycircuits ... a video would be really useful too if pos.
I was going to make a video this morning, but now it's working perfectly. Not sure what the problem was, but after saving and cycling power several times yesterday it seems whatever bug I was facing has fixed itself :party:

baleen
Common Wiggler

Post by baleen » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:43 pm

ronnieb wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:49 am
ETrig idea is not something I thought I would use much but is worlds of fun to play with!
just putting a :sb: to this bc Etrig makes things instantly interesting and reduces the amount of inputs i "need" to squid the salmples

plainofjars
Learning to Wiggle

Post by plainofjars » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:05 am

Squid Salmple noob question here: I have resisted modular for soo long but this module may be the one to break me. What would be the minimum setup for being able to get results, of at least some variation and interest, out of the SS? The SS seems to do a lot and as someone new to the modular game who’s still getting my head a around the intro materials here and on YouTube, I’m unclear about just how self-contained a thing the SS is. The demo vids seem to be doing a lot with fairly sparse patching.

I was thinking of going the Intellijel 4u Palette route (not the bare minimum for a case, true, but gives me a good platform to grow down the road) and the SS; what else would I need?

Sorry if this is an eyeroll-y question or idea!

ronnieb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ronnieb » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:20 am

plainofjars wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:05 am
Squid Salmple noob question here: I have resisted modular for soo long but this module may be the one to break me. What would be the minimum setup for being able to get results, of at least some variation and interest, out of the SS? The SS seems to do a lot and as someone new to the modular game who’s still getting my head a around the intro materials here and on YouTube, I’m unclear about just how self-contained a thing the SS is. The demo vids seem to be doing a lot with fairly sparse patching.

I was thinking of going the Intellijel 4u Palette route (not the bare minimum for a case, true, but gives me a good platform to grow down the road) and the SS; what else would I need?

You could get a Squid and a Pamela's New Workout and you're off to the races. Pam can handle trigs/gates and modulation with plenty of options for interesting variations
Last edited by ronnieb on Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

benofbrown
Learning to Wiggle

Post by benofbrown » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:26 am

ronnieb wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:20 am
You could get a Squid and a Pamela's New Workout and you're off to the races. Pam can handle trig's/gates and modulation with plenty of options for interesting variations
Yeah I'd second that, you'll go far with those two modules on their own.

plainofjars
Learning to Wiggle

Post by plainofjars » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:33 pm

ronnieb wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:20 am
plainofjars wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:05 am

You could get a Squid and a Pamela's New Workout and you're off to the races. Pam can handle trigs/gates and modulation with plenty of options for interesting variations
Okay great—that's doable, I think: just a 4u Intellijel Palette, SS, and Pam. That would run about $1000. And I think this gives me the necessary connections to sequence from my Keystep if I want. Thanks a bunch ronnieb and benofbrown. Open to other ideas too of course.

baleen
Common Wiggler

Post by baleen » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:00 pm

Pams and Squid are going to be a lot to kick off with but they will get clicking quickly.

I'd say VCAs/LPGs, at least one additional modulation source, and some logic can come after that, but really what are you hoping to do as you fill out the case?

1u row can get you some very handy modules without eating up too much space.

plainofjars
Learning to Wiggle

Post by plainofjars » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:25 pm

baleen wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:00 pm
Pams and Squid are going to be a lot to kick off with but they will get clicking quickly.

I'd say VCAs/LPGs, at least one additional modulation source, and some logic can come after that, but really what are you hoping to do as you fill out the case?

1u row can get you some very handy modules without eating up too much space.
Well I'm not actually looking to fill up the case with complimentary modules right now. I want the absolute minimum to be able to use the Squid as a creative sampler/sample-manipulator. And of course I need it to have the essential I/O. I had forgotten that ALM has a demo of it with just a PAM and a little headphone amp—so it makes sense that others would recommend a setup like that. The demo is just these modules in a tiny 4ms case but I'm thinking it makes more sense to get the Intellijel 4u to give myself room to grow as money permits. Ideally id love to have a couple of of the Michigan synth works syncussion 1voice clones, a Plonk... but can't afford it all right now. Just bought a Fender custom shop/vintage "time machine" 1959 p-bass and a melodium 42b from the 40s... oof! Absolutely no regrets though.

I'm obviously happy to get suggestions about what to add down the road though. I tend to like really thoroughly digitally sounding stuff (EP7-era AE) and, separately, really old-sounding analog/noisy/musique concrete stuff (Luc Ferrari i guess is an example). Love the ALM/Busy Circuits modules but obviously that's way more in the former aesthetic direction rather than the latter.

baleen
Common Wiggler

Post by baleen » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:47 pm

well get the 'jel I/O modules (I wouldn't get a 4u case and not take advantage of the 1u row) and just salmple the bass and melodium. keep an eye on the 2nd hand sources, if something seems interesting and affordable, do your best or worst. IMO if you are going to be sticking with the Palette case for even a moderate term I wouldn't build it out so that Squid salmples from other modules, but add things that mix/manipulate the various outputs in compelling ways. this of course depends on what your creative goals are.

it's easy enough to just use Squid's mix out for everything but I've been breaking out all the outs and letting CV do some mixing/filtering (which I can then resalmple).

plainofjars
Learning to Wiggle

Post by plainofjars » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:18 pm

baleen wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:47 pm
just salmple the bass and melodium
Sorry, didn't mean to suggest my only equipment was a bass and a mic! Just explaining the financial constraints lol. I have other standalone synths and instruments. Not new to music-making or even electronic music-making, just to modular.

And yes your point about building it out with modules that creatively shape the outputs makes absolute sense. Feel free to add any other suggestions. Was just sort of musing about other things that have been on the wishlist without regard to their degree of complementarity to the Squid. Thanks for making that suggestion before I end up with just a grab bag case full of things that don't really interact much with one another or at least only in a sort of limited way.

baleen
Common Wiggler

Post by baleen » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:32 pm

plainofjars wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:18 pm
And yes your point about building it out with modules that creatively shape the outputs makes absolute sense. Feel free to add any other suggestions. Was just sort of musing about other things that have been on the wishlist without regard to their degree of complementarity to the Squid. Thanks for making that suggestion before I end up with just a grab bag case full of things that don't really interact much with one another or at least only in a sort of limited way.
I'm very very into sending different channels to different inputs on Three Sisters and splitting those outs through different VCA/LPGs. You can keep it ALM and get a Tangle Quartet, or go with the 'Jel 1u VCAs. I have a Taakab LPG ($30) which is 3hp so balances the Squid's 21hp nicely.

I guess Batumi and Cold Mac will really fill out your modulation options. Yes there is some functional overlap bw Batumi and Pams. I'm skipping trad envelopes rn as I'm not using them with Squid but your use case might want something else. I find that Cold Mac is particularly good at getting things to relate and interact.

please please don't forget boring plumbing stuff like mults and mixers and attenuation. Pick a mixer that fits what space is left?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”