ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

rew_
Wiggling with Experience

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by rew_ » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:41 pm

My reading of the manual is that I should be able to record parts of a continuous signal into different channels if I use the channel trigger/button to step through the active channels while record is active.

Has anyone been able to do this? Whether I'm using triggers or the button itself to change channels the entire recording is captured on the initial channel.

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Common Wiggler

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:22 pm

Had a thought that would be really cool to have in an update if possible (unless this is doable already) - sort of an 'inverse cv' setting. for example, if cv1 is set to control the loop end location, 0v would correspond to the end being at the farthest point in the sample, and 5v being at the very start of the sample.

84Strikes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 84Strikes » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:49 am

ALM wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:52 am
84Strikes wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:14 am
Does anyone know if there are any specific settings that need to be applied to the USB itself?
It's freezing on me when I plug my brand new mini SanDisk USB (to replace the relatively chunky steel one that came with it)
Have named, formatted it correctly as far as I can tell from the manual.

As soon as I insert the disk it gets stuck on whatever the screen was displaying and the module becomes non responsive.
What firmware are you running ? If not latest (141) I would advise you upgrade and then retry new stick.
I'm running the latest firmware.

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:30 am

84Strikes wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:49 am
ALM wrote:

What firmware are you running ? If not latest (141) I would advise you upgrade and then retry new stick.
In which case the stick could be faulty or a fake. Try reformatting (fat32) or a different stick.

How big is the stick ? dont think I've tested anything past 32GB.

vraufen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vraufen » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:20 pm

Hi, not sure if I was looking in the right place but from the manual I can't quite gather - can you sample while there are sounds being triggered? Im interested in resampling and hoping the salmple would be able to sample itself, even if not the same channel it is recording to

baleen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by baleen » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:26 pm

vraufen wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:20 pm
Hi, not sure if I was looking in the right place but from the manual I can't quite gather - can you sample while there are sounds being triggered? Im interested in resampling and hoping the salmple would be able to sample itself, even if not the same channel it is recording to
absolutely (mult an out back in) and you can get delay/feedback this way too

vraufen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by vraufen » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:30 pm

baleen wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:26 pm
vraufen wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:20 pm
absolutely (mult an out back in) and you can get delay/feedback this way too
Wow duh I shouldve gathered that from the delay examples... :doh: Thanks ;)

Happyanimal
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Happyanimal » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:34 pm

ALM wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:30 am
84Strikes wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:49 am
ALM wrote:

In which case the stick could be faulty or a fake. Try reformatting (fat32) or a different stick.

How big is the stick ? dont think I've tested anything past 32GB.

Just got a squid today, updated to 125. Recorded a sample to ALM stick on channel 8 and it locked and froze, emitted high pitched whine. Had to power cycle the case.

I noticed there’s a new “beta” release- 141. Does new release resolve this?

Thanks.

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:59 am

Happyanimal wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:34 pm

Just got a squid today, updated to 125. Recorded a sample to ALM stick on channel 8 and it locked and froze, emitted high pitched whine. Had to power cycle the case.

I noticed there’s a new “beta” release- 141. Does new release resolve this?
Yep it should do. There are a couple odd potential lock ups in 125 which are fixed in 141. Also note 141 isn't a beta but a proper release (see here).

Happyanimal
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Happyanimal » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:21 pm

Ah, your support > firmware > latest link still points to old version - v125.

Had to go in through “products” to get the latest.

Happyanimal
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Happyanimal » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:14 pm

Updated to 141- same freeze again while recording. Recorded to ALM provided stick on ch 8. Playing back sample adjusting pitch and whole unit locks up and emits a high pitched buzz. Any ideas?

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:14 am

Happyanimal wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:14 pm
Updated to 141- same freeze again while recording. Recorded to ALM provided stick on ch 8. Playing back sample adjusting pitch and whole unit locks up and emits a high pitched buzz. Any ideas?
Can you email help <at> busycircuits with specific steps to reproduce the lock up and it'll get fixed asap.

(website fixed btw - sorry!)

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StrangeAttraction » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:47 am

Can a S950-like Time-strech be added to the Salmple? The more hairy/old-school Akai-like the better! Or two modes: modern and vintage!
I think that would expand the creative possibilities of the sALMpler by miles.
I understand there's a hacky way to achieve this with the granular approach but it'd be great to have this as an easily accessible feature that doesn't eat up CV inputs.

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:57 am

StrangeAttraction wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:47 am
Can a S950-like Time-strech be added to the Salmple?
+1, would be amazing if this was possible!

Ghost Logic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ghost Logic » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:28 pm

ALM, are there any plans to add the following features (which can of course be done on the computer but it would be really helpful to be able to do this tasks quickly on the Squid):
1) Basic sample editor with ability to (a) crop start and end point of sample (separate from cues), (b) adjust gain (separate from level adjustment in the context of a bank), including the ability to increase the level of the sample by a specified number of DB--this ends up working like a compressor as the gain on the sample is increased beyond full scale at the peaks, (c) remove DC offset.
2) Ability to manually set/adjust the root key of the sample (so that pitched sample playback is in the desired octave for a controller keyboard, sequencer etc.).

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:46 am

Ghost Logic wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:28 pm
ALM, are there any plans to add the following features (which can of course be done on the computer but it would be really helpful to be able to do this tasks quickly on the Squid):
1) Basic sample editor with ability to (a) crop start and end point of sample (separate from cues), (b) adjust gain (separate from level adjustment in the context of a bank), including the ability to increase the level of the sample by a specified number of DB--this ends up working like a compressor as the gain on the sample is increased beyond full scale at the peaks, (c) remove DC offset.
2) Ability to manually set/adjust the root key of the sample (so that pitched sample playback is in the desired octave for a controller keyboard, sequencer etc.).
Most (all?) of these functions Squid can already do but non destructively - and thats how it was designed. Why would you want to do it destructively and on such a small display where (unrecoverable) mistakes can easily be made ? Destructive editing is much more easily done on your computer where there are plentiful sophisticated free or very cheap wave editors available.

There is a possibility there could be some destructive editing support added in future but that would only be for things that couldn't be done on the fly (i.e potentially timestretching) or maybe some kind of bounce like export.

wonkychris
Common Wiggler

Post by wonkychris » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:39 am

I have spent a bit of time with my Squid finally and I have to say it really spanks the breaks...

I just sampled a two bar break out of ableton, split into 8 cue points and hit random. A bunch of Tempi gates and away we go!

Good work ALM ;)

Ghost Logic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ghost Logic » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:36 pm

ALM wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:46 am
Ghost Logic wrote:
Most (all?) of these functions Squid can already do but non destructively - and thats how it was designed. Why would you want to do it destructively and on such a small display where (unrecoverable) mistakes can easily be made ? Destructive editing is much more easily done on your computer where there are plentiful sophisticated free or very cheap wave editors available.

There is a possibility there could be some destructive editing support added in future but that would only be for things that couldn't be done on the fly (i.e potentially timestretching) or maybe some kind of bounce like export.
As a long time user of Akai and EMU samplers (which of course have all of the features I noted above) I think the reason having the items in 1 and 2 available directly on the Squid would be helpful is so that you can quickly work up a patch after sampling a sound on the Squid without having to pull the USB, go to the computer, do the editing and come back to the Squid. It is not a big deal and 1(a) is obviously just a nice to have given you can achieve this with cues, but I'd think those functions would be super easy to implement and would save time/enhance the workflow. Obviously any in depth sample editing can and should be done on the computer.

wavefold
sonic lad

Post by wavefold » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:00 am

StrangeAttraction wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:47 am
Can a S950-like Time-strech be added to the Salmple? The more hairy/old-school Akai-like the better! Or two modes: modern and vintage!
I think that would expand the creative possibilities of the sALMpler by miles.
I understand there's a hacky way to achieve this with the granular approach but it'd be great to have this as an easily accessible feature that doesn't eat up CV inputs.
This, definitely :party:
Wavefold Racing Team

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/wavefold

wavefold
sonic lad

Post by wavefold » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:03 am

ALM wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:46 am
Ghost Logic wrote:

and what about a feature that allows you to trigger different cues using a v/Oct signal, so you can play and sequence them on a keyboard like with oldschool samplers? like C0 = cue 1, D0 = cue 2 and so on
Wavefold Racing Team

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:05 am

Ghost Logic wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:36 pm
As a long time user of Akai and EMU samplers (which of course have all of the features I noted above) I think the reason having the items in 1 and 2 available directly on the Squid would be helpful is so that you can quickly work up a patch after sampling a sound on the Squid without having to pull the USB, go to the computer, do the editing and come back to the Squid.
Sorry I don't follow at all. You can do all this editing on the squid and save and load any edits. The only difference is the edits arn't destructive - which is surely better :despair:

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:11 am

wavefold wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:03 am
and what about a feature that allows you to trigger different cues using a v/Oct signal, so you can play and sequence them on a keyboard like with oldschool samplers? like C0 = cue 1, D0 = cue 2 and so on
Have you tried patching a v/oct signal into a CV in, assigning that your cue set and then just adjusting the CV's attenuation parameter as to map each note to a different cue ?

wavefold
sonic lad

Post by wavefold » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:55 am

ALM wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:11 am
wavefold wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:03 am
Have you tried patching a v/oct signal into a CV in, assigning that your cue set and then just adjusting the CV's attenuation parameter as to map each note to a different cue ?
ah, I knew there was a trick to do so, will try thanks :guinness:
Wavefold Racing Team

tyson
1-Post Wiggler

Post by tyson » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:12 pm

The Squid Salmple is my favorite module, and one thing I love about it is that you don't really need anything else to play it and make interesting patterns. I've been experimenting with copying the same sample across the first five channels, looping them, and changing their speeds. After some trial and error, I created a major scale spanning several octaves using the following speed settings derived from pitch ratios (blanks for speeds which don't divide evenly):

C: 6, 12, 24, 48, 96
D: __, __, 27, 54 [9/8 of C]
E: __,15, 30, 60 [5/4]
F: 8,16, 32, 64 [4/3]
G: 9, 18, 36,72 [3/2]
A: 10, 20, 40, 80 [5/3]
B: __, __, 45, 90 [15/8]

My music theory is pretty rudimentary, but this article helped me figure out the fractions for the "just intonation" scale:

https://medium.com/@borisreitman/the-ma ... a6536bca5d

Higher pitches play faster, creating asynchronous patterns, and this can of course be tweaked with cues and modulation, or by changing sample speeds on the fly.

The downside of setting the "root" speed to 48 is that you can't use quantization on the three V/oct channels, because they're based on the speed being 50. Well, you can use quantization, but it will be a bit off. So you have to fiddle with the pitch knobs to get them in tune with the first five channels. I prefer to save the V/oct channels for other stuff, like very short looping waveforms. (Presumably the Squid could also be used for percussion.)

I hope this might be useful for someone, and would love to hear if anyone has used a similar technique or more exotic scales. Thanks to ALM for creating this brilliant, inspiring, and ridiculously fun module.

peachesandbacon
Common Wiggler

Post by peachesandbacon » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:40 pm

Eyeing this up at the moment.

Reading that you can save up to 99 banks.

This is kind of vague. banks of samples?
how many samples can be stored in one bank?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”