ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

baleen
Wiggling with Experience

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by baleen » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:18 pm

MrShifter wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:35 am
Thanks for your reply, what about the random cue sets part of my question, have you tried this and noticed any weirdness? Anybody else reading this post could you test this for me? Doing my head in :)
Cheers.
my UI gets draggy and unresponsive when I've got 4+ channels filled, playing back (looping or triggered), CV modulating playback start/loop/end, esp if i engage filters on any of these channels. def if i've got 8 channels really popping off the squid is clearly burdened. I don't think this is related as much to the shuffling through cues randomly as it is having full buffers and a lot of CV processing.

MrShifter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MrShifter » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:11 am

pmarchitect wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:50 pm
MrShifter wrote:
Thanks for your reply, what about the random cue sets part of my question, have you tried this and noticed any weirdness? Anybody else reading this post could you test this for me? Doing my head in :)
Cheers.
I haven’t noticed this. Are you using a bunch of massive samples? I only use short drum hits for random.
Massive? The limit is 11 seconds, but yeah, not one shots as I'm using cue sets which are being modulated by the random function in the cue sets menu.

kingsmore
Common Wiggler

Post by kingsmore » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:29 am

MrShifter wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:11 am
pmarchitect wrote:
MrShifter wrote:
Cheers.
I haven’t noticed this. Are you using a bunch of massive samples? I only use short drum hits for random.
Massive? The limit is 11 seconds, but yeah, not one shots as I'm using cue sets which are being modulated by the random function in the cue sets menu.
is it the same if you load all your samples from that new option one or two custom folders? literally have only used 6 at one time so haven't maxed it out but the folder org fixed loading and sampling issues Ive had

uredsteve
1-Post Wiggler

Post by uredsteve » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:24 am

I'm trying to upload samples to Squid, by exporting regions from Reaper (from a drum loop). The samples (44/16 bit) samples are recognised, but they sound low pitched. Any ideas anyone?

MrShifter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MrShifter » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:41 am

kingsmore wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:29 am
MrShifter wrote:
pmarchitect wrote:
MrShifter wrote:
Cheers.
is it the same if you load all your samples from that new option one or two custom folders? literally have only used 6 at one time so haven't maxed it out but the folder org fixed loading and sampling issues Ive had
is it the same if you load all your samples from that new option one or two custom folders? Not tried this yet, only had it a short time. Not had any sampling or loading issues yet. Could you explain the custom folder new option?
Many thanks :)

kingsmore
Common Wiggler

Post by kingsmore » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:36 pm

MrShifter wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:41 am
kingsmore wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:29 am
MrShifter wrote:
pmarchitect wrote:
MrShifter wrote:
Cheers.
is it the same if you load all your samples from that new option one or two custom folders? Not tried this yet, only had it a short time. Not had any sampling or loading issues yet. Could you explain the custom folder new option?
Many thanks :)
for sure lemme find it...pages 18-20 ish have the feature im talking about

i guess if your squid salmple is new you would have already used this way....but it was only part of an update maybe a year or less ago

anyway...my loading and playback can be inconsistent...but using this file system and "load only bank" improved my use
Attachments
Screenshot (2).png

MrShifter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MrShifter » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:18 am

baleen wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:18 pm
MrShifter wrote:
Cheers.
my UI gets draggy and unresponsive when I've got 4+ channels filled, playing back (looping or triggered), CV modulating playback start/loop/end, esp if i engage filters on any of these channels. def if i've got 8 channels really popping off the squid is clearly burdened. I don't think this is related as much to the shuffling through cues randomly as it is having full buffers and a lot of CV processing.
Thanks very much for this response. If I'd have know this I'd probably not have bought the Squid.

baleen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by baleen » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:06 pm

I think my use of Squid is definitely an edge case considering that "drum salmpler" is clearly the intended design. that it can stretch to do the kind of multiple, full buffer work I want it for is fine with me. yes I have found bugs doing this and ALM has been prompt and brilliant in resolving these. I'm not surprised that making Squid do literally everything it can crunches the UI. its not ideal, but it could have half as many channels and still be exactly what I want.

peachesandbacon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by peachesandbacon » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:05 pm

Considering picking one of these up.

Can I ask:
1) how well does it slice up loops automatically via transient detection?
2) how well does it time stretch loops to a new bpm?

Is it quick and easy to do?

Daandriks
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Daandriks » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:34 am

peachesandbacon wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:05 pm
Considering picking one of these up.

Can I ask:
1) how well does it slice up loops automatically via transient detection?
2) how well does it time stretch loops to a new bpm?

Is it quick and easy to do?
1. If you make sure you have zero crossings before the transients it does a fine job. It do misses sometimes.

2. It can’t timestretch

Daandriks
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Daandriks » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:49 am

First of all big 👍🏼 To ALM for this amazing module. I have the bought the System Coupe as my first module and it’s rad. I do have some questions about the squid I could not find that easily.

I make techno / house the most time.

1. When I have a couple of loops and modulating them with cv then the squid starts to get laggy for switching in menus. A button press won’t work sometimes or I have to wait a long Time. Is this normal behavior?

2. I would like to sample drums easily with a trigger in. But then the envelope follower Kicks in and the first cue is a long sample of all the drums. But I want it to place a new cue every time the trigger hits. That the first trigger replaces the current sample and the second extends on that. So I can sample quickly variations of that drum hit. Am I missing something?

3. I am having trouble with the volume output of this device. It is pretty low compared to the other modules. To get a decent balance in the mix my squid Hs to be on 50 volume and the Tangled Quartet fully open. The MCO on the other hand just has a tiny twist from the Tangled Quartet. But it would be nice that I could use the fully knob of the Tangle to easily play with the volumes of others.

4. I don’t use the V/ octave on the squid. Personally I don’t like the sound of melodic / bass being pitched up or down from a sample where the sample gets shorter or longer. So I tried creating some 11 seconds samples with cue points where there are 12 samples referring to a chromatic octave. Then I would like to play these with CV in. But then a 1V/ Octave only would play the lowest sounds. I could offset the signal. But then it shifts up. I want the 1V / octave signal to trigger the right cue points. So the 1V gets evenly spread across the 5V input. Is this possible?

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:48 am

Daandriks wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:49 am
1. When I have a couple of loops and modulating them with cv then the squid starts to get laggy for switching in menus. A button press won’t work sometimes or I have to wait a long Time. Is this normal behavior?
Can you be a little more specific as to how many channels you are using and exactly what you are modulating ? Do you filters turned on on everything ?

The filters use a lot of cpu and thus a lot of them can cause the ui to get laggy (better that than dropping audio). Anything other than the filters may be able to be optimised more - but Im not super aware of anything other using a ton of cpu ?
Daandriks wrote:
2. I would like to sample drums easily with a trigger in. But then the envelope follower Kicks in and the first cue is a long sample of all the drums. But I want it to place a new cue every time the trigger hits. That the first trigger replaces the current sample and the second extends on that. So I can sample quickly variations of that drum hit. Am I missing something?
Check the 'extend' record mode for this sort of thing ?
Daandriks wrote:
3. I am having trouble with the volume output of this device. It is pretty low compared to the other modules. To get a decent balance in the mix my squid Hs to be on 50 volume and the Tangled Quartet fully open. The MCO on the other hand just has a tiny twist from the Tangled Quartet. But it would be nice that I could use the fully knob of the Tangle to easily play with the volumes of others.
MCO is very loud as its 'raw' & expected you going to 'sculpt' & 'subtract' from it ... filter, shape via via etc + it doesn't really do any mixing and thus worry about clipping. Squid is much more conservative as it has to mix (both analog & digital) and thus avoid nasty digital clipping + its assumed it likely sounds are more pre sculpted. The shipped samples mastered to -3db too (to allow for a bit of headroom when mixed). With a -0db sample at 50 the amplitude is likely not that much off the MCO (~ +/-5v whilst the MCO goes a bit above that iirc...). Try matching the MCO more to squid volume than other way around.
Daandriks wrote:
4. I don’t use the V/ octave on the squid. Personally I don’t like the sound of melodic / bass being pitched up or down from a sample where the sample gets shorter or longer. So I tried creating some 11 seconds samples with cue points where there are 12 samples referring to a chromatic octave. Then I would like to play these with CV in. But then a 1V/ Octave only would play the lowest sounds. I could offset the signal. But then it shifts up. I want the 1V / octave signal to trigger the right cue points. So the 1V gets evenly spread across the 5V input. Is this possible?
Easiest way would be to amplify the 1v going in by x5 but I can't at least otoh think of an easy way to do that with what's available in the Coupe.

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:06 am

I'm a bit amazed by the fact that you guys are actually using the digital filters in the module, whereas you probably have analog ones nearby, which both do a better job at it ánd don't eat Squid CPU.
(And nothing beats the sound of raw digital sources into analog filters :hail:)

I've experienced some lags too, when asking too much of the module. (Recording and playing all 8 channels)
I guess ALM just wanted to offer a lot of possibilities, but doesn't protect us against over-asking the module by using too much at once.

Daandriks
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Daandriks » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:09 am

Thnx for the quick & in depth answer!

1. Going to take a look at later on. The filters are probably on as they are very nice.

2. The “extend” starts after the first part of the recording. I would like to just put in a trigger and then starts from 0 seconds & then extends it after. But it keeps the original sample and extends after. It would be nice if it first replace and then extend. Also sometimes it doesn’t place a right cue when a trigger is met. It looks like it keeps just recording instead of perfect sample chops of 1/8 notes in 128 bpm.

3. Yeah I sculpt the MCO that way. But still think it is a lot hotter then the squid. But I manage it thus far but a bit more punch would be helpful to mix. I ordered a 1010music Bluebox. Then the squid can go directly in there and I gain and level on the Bluebox. The Tangled Quartet can do a bit more in patch gain staging & attenuating.

4. Also I could use the Disting Ex in a bit for some precise adding. Also the CV inputs & Outputs of the Hydrasynth come in mind. I could sum the input 5 times in the mod matrix. Worth trying :-)

Thnx again. Will come back after some test results of the squid when it is lagging.

Daandriks
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Daandriks » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:31 am

ALM wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:48 am
Can you be a little more specific as to how many channels you are using and exactly what you are modulating ? Do you filters turned on on everything ?

The filters use a lot of cpu and thus a lot of them can cause the ui to get laggy (better that than dropping audio). Anything other than the filters may be able to be optimised more - but Im not super aware of anything other using a ton of cpu ?
I tried a patch recreating the lagging of the Squid Salmple. I didn't use the filters in this one.

I made a video, but the forum wont let me share it here. So I have to explain it in here. I will try to explain it per channel what I did.

Channel 1
On the first channel I loaded the "Mega - 909" channel one kicks. And used one of the cue's as a kick. Send it out from the 1 +2 out to the Tangled Quartet. Nothing more changed from the sample. It is triggered from the PAM Pexp-1 X1 output with a tempo of 130 BPM.

Channel 2
Did not use this channel

Channel 3
I've loaded a closed hihat from the "Mega - 909" channel 3 sample bank. Lowered the level in "Env" to 20. It is triggered from PAM Pexp-1 x4 output. Send it out from the 3 + 4 Out.

Channel 4
I've loaded a open hihat from the "Mega - 909" channel 4 sample bank. It is triggered from the PAM's at 1X with a phase of 50%. The "Env" decay is set to 97. It is set to forward looping. Changed a bit from the Start, End & Loop parameters. A triangle LFO from PAM at /2 speed is in the CV 1 and controlling End (With +01 attenuation).

Channel 5
I've loaded a bass sound from the "NYZ - SYN2" sample bank. It its triggered from the PAM Pexp-1 /4 output. The "Env" level is set to 23, the Attack to 05, the Decay to 40. Bits is on 05 & Rate on 04. Forward looping is on with X-fade on 72. I've changed the Start, End & Looping point and modulating all three with the same Triangle LFO from PAM at /2 speed in the CV 1. All with attenuation of +50. Send it out from the 5+6 Output.

Channel 6
I've loaded a Chord Sample from one of the Juno sample banks. This one is triggered from PAM with a X4 output and a Euclidean pattern of 16 / 6. The "Env" level is set to 20 and nothing else has changed. Send it out from the 5+6 Output. Is set on QUANT 12.

Channel 7
I've loaded a Synth sound from the "NYZ - SYN4" sample bank. It is triggered trough a Intellijel Scales from the PAM with a X2 output. The Intellijel sends a 1V / Oct to the V/Oct input. Further nothing is changed. Send it out from the 7+8 Output. Is set on QUANT 12.

Channel 8
Again I've loaded a Synth from the "NYZ - SYN2" sample bank. it is triggered from a PAM with a X2 output an phase of 50% and a Euclidean pattern 6/4. It receives a 1V / Oct from Disting EX to the V/Oct input. Furhter nothing is changed. Is set on QUANT 12. Send it out from the 7+8.

Summary
So basically it has one modulation in the CV 1 input and it is modulating a total of 4 parameters in the Squid and no filters is used. When I want to change menu's while playing in some cases the button doesnt let the menu pass. Also when trying to reverse a sample it wont work. I have to press the buttons multiple times before it works. Somes it works right away and sometimes it wont. To be honest it is hard to perform this way as I dont know if the menu will work or not. There is nothing really special going on besides one track with some End/ Start points being modulated.

Also the Reverse function on channel 6 & 8 isnt working. Even if I change End point where sound should be.

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:31 am

Daandriks wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:31 am
Summary
So basically it has one modulation in the CV 1 input and it is modulating a total of 4 parameters in the Squid and no filters is used. When I want to change menu's while playing in some cases the button doesnt let the menu pass. Also when trying to reverse a sample it wont work. I have to press the buttons multiple times before it works. Somes it works right away and sometimes it wont. To be honest it is hard to perform this way as I dont know if the menu will work or not. There is nothing really special going on besides one track with some End/ Start points being modulated.

Also the Reverse function on channel 6 & 8 isnt working. Even if I change End point where sound should be.
Thanks for this - am investigating!

Cfcarter
Common Wiggler

Post by Cfcarter » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:03 pm

Wouldn't it be excellent with an option called "save in pool"? Been using the squid with some recorded cv, sampling the resulting sequence from my vco/voice in the squid and after a while it gets really messy with the bank and channels and suddenly I've 😳 replaced all my recorded cv. Some sort of quick pool save so I can continue recording stuff onto one of the squids channels without the worry of the above mentioned problem.

Daandriks
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Daandriks » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:51 am

ALM wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:31 am
Thanks for this - am investigating!
No problem. Happy to help. Hope you can find something!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”