ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

DJ Tap Water
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DJ Tap Water » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:34 am

It would also be sweet if one could split cues into 3s as well as 2s:)

Cilonen
1-Post Wiggler

Re: Missing sample banks from USB

Post by Cilonen » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:08 pm

Lomoring wrote:So I bought a used one but unfortunately missing the sample banks on the USB. Is there a way to download it anywhere? :despair:
Did you end up getting your hands on a copy of the sample collection. I haven't done any editing on mine yet so it's stock, I could throw it up on google drive for you if you'd like.

Lomoring
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Missing sample banks from USB

Post by Lomoring » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:15 pm

Cilonen wrote:
Lomoring wrote:So I bought a used one but unfortunately missing the sample banks on the USB. Is there a way to download it anywhere? :despair:
Did you end up getting your hands on a copy of the sample collection. I haven't done any editing on mine yet so it's stock, I could throw it up on google drive for you if you'd like.
I did but 75 onwards was corrupted and was not playing. If you dont mind sharing those. I would be oh so grateful. Thanks!

depaffect
Common Wiggler

Post by depaffect » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:06 am

ALM wrote:
plainjanefrancis wrote: The beta firmware has solved my cue set saving problem. It also removed all the cue sets from the last bank I was using (a bank with cue sets made from the computer). Fortunately it only removed the last banks cue sets, during the update process.

So aside from that small hiccup, everything is working great, thanks!
Yes sorry worth noting the beta firmware supports 64 cue points *but* it means the wav file metadata saved with with earlier firmwares is ignored. I think that's what's happening here.
A weird thing with cue sets on the latest beta firmware

I made some cue sets on my computer using Oceanaudio - these work beautifully on the Squid

However, lets say I load one of my cue sets (ie an individual channel) over the top of a channel on an existing kit. Still works beautifully.

If I then save this entire kit and load it back up - the channel with my cue set has the cue markers in the wrong places!

So there's a problem with the saving for some reason. But it's worth noting that other cue sets (ie ones that were part of the original kit not made by me) are still fine!

desdinova
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desdinova » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:23 am

DJ Tap Water wrote:i got one. it's sick. fast to use, sounds good. didnt have to read the manual, the UI is very intuitive.
Don't think this is mentioned enough, if you've ever interacted with a sampler it's very easy to stumble through, super fast operation. Just a great module.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:27 am

desdinova wrote:
DJ Tap Water wrote:i got one. it's sick. fast to use, sounds good. didnt have to read the manual, the UI is very intuitive.
Don't think this is mentioned enough, if you've ever interacted with a sampler it's very easy to stumble through, super fast operation. Just a great module.
Yeah! A friend bought one after I pointed this out. I’ve been beating around the sampler bush for a while, and while the Assimil8or has great specs and patchability, it looks rather tedious to set up. BitBox actually looks pretty friendly, but it has some very different capabilities and focus from Squid.

DJ Tap Water
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DJ Tap Water » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:27 am

It's currently possible to use gate controlled channel selection to automate live sampling between sequential channels and quickly create kits. Cool feature. It would be nice if the functionality of this gate input could toggle between channel selection and adding cue points to a single channel. This would also eliminate the need to implement auto transient detected cue points, because one could use an external envelope follower. I'm using cue sets in at least half the channels, and currently split 2 is the only fast way to make them (it will be called split 2 and split 3 when that feature is added :nut:)

Mikeyg3k
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mikeyg3k » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:40 am

I’ll say this to anybody who will listen - this is the most insanely fun sampler I’ve used .... ALM seems to have a knack for bringing that slight old school flavor into super capable modules that are easy & FUN to use! And You know You’ve struck gold when You start buying more modules to use with that new fun inspiring module. That’s it for me

Hek
Common Wiggler

Post by Hek » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:36 pm

Scales on the CV input would be amazing and superfun. Otherwise, perfect.

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:51 am

wavefold wrote: Wondering if some kind of basic timestretching would be possible. I find myself working a lot with loops and it would be nice to change their BPM on the fly without having to edit them on a daw according to song tempo :guinness:
Its highly unlikely anything realtime (just not the horsepower). Maybe something non realtime in future not sure anywhere near as useful (and maybe too clunky)..

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:02 pm

You can patch the Squid up as a delay. I thought this was possible somehow but props go to friend Zach who actually figured it out.

Its not super easy to patch up initially, and has some limitations, but great fun once you get it going and only uses 2 channels. Its not crucial but I recommend the latest beta firmware for the 'record channel lock' feature which makes it much easier to use remaining 6 channels for other purposes.

You'll need a clock and a mixer, and some kind of filter (though not critical). With the signal you want to add a delay too running in, patch up like this (with clock stopped and no sample bank loaded);

Then;

- Make Chan 2 reference Chan 1 (With Chan 2 active, hold Chan button and twist encoder one click CCW)
- Make Chan 1 active, turn on monitoring (press Func + Rec) - VERY IMPORTANT. Also if you ahve latest firmware record lock the channel (press Chan + Rec)
- Start the clock. Adjust signal input level on squid, settings on feedback loop (filter to input2 on mixer) to taste.

You can change various params on Chan 2 to change the delay sounds - i.e the bit depth, speed for a pitch shift like effect .. and of course then assign CV control to them.

The clock speed is essentially the delay time though it doesn't work so well at low speeds (try keeping clock gate high for 99.9% duty cycle) . It can go faster though..

If you get clicks, lower Squid input & feedback levels. Also check Chan 2 buffer length is logn enough (i.e adjust end point). You can also try adding a tiny bit of Delay to Chan 2.

You can add 'more' taps by having more Chans reference 1 and triggering with offset clocks (easy with Pam) .

Im still figuring out possibilities of this and ultimately the limitations (with what can be improved via firmware upgrades to more support this) . There will be a proper instructional video Im sure at some point on the ALM youtube chan if above all a bit daunting.

Please enjoy. Am interested in what people think and where it gets taken.

Edit: couple of demos now on ALM insta (link below)
Last edited by ALM on Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:00 pm

ALM wrote:You can patch the Squid up as a delay. I thought this was possible somehow but props go to friend Zach who actually figured it out.

Im sure at some point on the ALM youtube chan if above all a bit daunting.
wow, this is too cool. about to set this patch up right now <3

ronnieb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ronnieb » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:11 pm

that's so sweet, can't wait to play with this

wavefold
sonic lad

Post by wavefold » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:30 am

ALM wrote:
wavefold wrote: Wondering if some kind of basic timestretching would be possible. I find myself working a lot with loops and it would be nice to change their BPM on the fly without having to edit them on a daw according to song tempo :guinness:
Its highly unlikely anything realtime (just not the horsepower). Maybe something non realtime in future not sure anywhere near as useful (and maybe too clunky)..
And what about a specific pitching mode in which the increments are based on something like semitone/bpm? I know there’s a way to properly calculate it, I remember using a website for this back in the day.
ghost stories and drum breaks

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/wavefold

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:03 pm

wavefold wrote:
And what about a specific pitching mode in which the increments are based on something like semitone/bpm? I know there’s a way to properly calculate it, I remember using a website for this back in the day.
Something like if you had a bar of something, salmple could then work out the bpm and thus then provide increments to change it +/- a bpm ? Will investigate.

wavefold
sonic lad

Post by wavefold » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:27 pm

ALM wrote:
wavefold wrote:
Something like if you had a bar of something, salmple could then work out the bpm and thus then provide increments to change it +/- a bpm ? Will investigate.
http://www.thewhippinpost.co.uk/tools/t ... ulator.htm

Managed to find the site I was talking about! yes something like that
ghost stories and drum breaks

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/wavefold

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:08 pm

meep. just a suggestion, but where it says -

"A 'Cx' will be displayed to the left of the channel number if set to 'Choke'
another channel - 'x' being the Channel. You can set this by holding down the 'Chan'
and 'Env' Button and then turning the program knob. "

, it might make more sense as "Hold down Chan button THEN press Env button and turn program knob.".

took me about a dozen dozen times of trying to time the Chan and Env buttons to perfectly coincide before i realized it's hold one then the other.

loviiiiiiiing this little buggerererer.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:00 pm

also, what does the No Key Found error mean? a problem reading the USB card?

i'm using a tiny TINY little small brand one (not gonna lie. got it because it was the smallest available, but mostly because they stole Aperture Technologies symbol and put it on the stick.), so it might be shite/buggy. grabbed a SanDisk at the same time in case this one is a failure.

but had that message twice on boot up. rebooted, everything worked perfectly.

murp?

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:29 am

behndy wrote:also, what does the No Key Found error mean? a problem reading the USB card?

i'm using a tiny TINY little small brand one (not gonna lie. got it because it was the smallest available, but mostly because they stole Aperture Technologies symbol and put it on the stick.), so it might be shite/buggy.
Yep, a No Key Found means a problems reading the USB stick/'key'. Assuming your running a recent firmware its indeed likely a dodgy/weird key - stick with (non fake) known branded ones and you should be fine.

Thank you for manual feedback :hyper: I am updating.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:12 am

lol. gotcha. don't buy rando crap sticks based on sexy imagery. UNDERSTOOD.

thanks!

ronnieb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ronnieb » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:47 am

When lowering a channel's level, if you scroll pass 0 it jumps to 99 and scares the bejebus out of me. The problem is I can't just scroll up to 0 then, I have to scroll back down through the level.

Would be cool to either have it so the channel's volume stops at 0 or alternatively have it so that you can scroll back to 0 from 99.

Hope that makes sense as I'm writing this in a rush/on the sly in work :zombie:

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:41 am

ronnieb wrote:When lowering a channel's level, if you scroll pass 0 it jumps to 99 and scares the bejebus out of me. The problem is I can't just scroll up to 0 then, I have to scroll back down through the level.
Arg yep, this is a bug. Just fixed in latest firmware (v100) & uploaded ...http://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm022/

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:18 pm

spinalbeatz wrote:Wow didn't realize this also sampled CV!
wow too. I just get aware of this right now......by reading the thread header :lol:
so: it can also "live-sample" CVs ?

great to see that the level adjustment "bug" has been corrected !
thats the things i definitly would NOT want to deal with. really
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

shellfritsch
Common Wiggler

Post by shellfritsch » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:40 pm

new salmple user here :) having a lot of fun with this. looooove the aliasing :hail:

ALM i am wondering if you'll consider adding an attack envelope? i mainly want it to soften hard clicks but i think it could be nice in general with non-percussive elements...

thanks for making this!

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:56 pm

shellfritsch wrote: ALM i am wondering if you'll consider adding an attack envelope?
Yep its already in the latest firmwares.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”