ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

kwil
Common Wiggler

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by kwil » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:08 pm

ALM wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:38 am
kwil wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:42 am
Feature request-wise, assignable outputs would be cool, for example putting just the kick on 1+2 and 6,7,8 each on their own outs.
You can swap the channels around easy enough via key combo but what you are suggesting is putting more than 2 channels on a single output ?
I tried using the key combo to reference sample data from another channel.

For example on channel 3 I reference sample 6 to go to “3+4 out”, but then it doesn’t respond to pitch via the v/oct inputs.

I was trying to end up with three looping samples as oscillators on 6,7,8, which have their own v/oct inputs to be able to send out as separate outputs to 3 VCAs. Anyhow I can almost get there with looping 6 and either 7 or 8.

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:17 am

Referencing will just reference the sample data, it wont actually dupe the channels settings (like V/oct) ... also I said/meant actually swap the channels (Chan + Func) but I dont think this will help in what your trying to do.

FWIW You could assign each CV input to each level of 6,7 & 8 and use the Squid itself as a VCA.

DJ Tap Water
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DJ Tap Water » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:25 am

ALM wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:35 am
DJ Tap Water wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:03 pm
Feature request float: stepping through cue points with a trigger.
Ha - already ahead of you... just added this morning :hyper: . Will release shortly.
😁Excellent

In that case, 64 cue points, anyone?

Hek
Common Wiggler

Post by Hek » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:00 pm

ALM wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:17 am
FWIW You could assign each CV input to each level of 6,7 & 8 and use the Squid itself as a VCA.
That is actually a great tip i didnt think of, wow. You should post more tutorials on youtube as kong as all the new functions unveil. Functionality of this module seems endless.

rew_
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rew_ » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:23 am

just here to say that the new sample audition feature is really simple and nice, and also that this:
Improve bank rename UI a little with 'end option' & proper spaces
from the change log is very welcome. I thought maybe I was just too stupid to figure out how to properly rename
whoosy boxes / zoomy panels

boboter
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boboter » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:23 am

Not salmpling yet, but the module is super interesting. As I would use it mainly for non-percussive sounds, I wanted to check if some of these features could happen at some point in the future:

1. Would there be a chance to see some simple filtering on the individual channels? Just some basic highpass/lowpass settings to shave off some unwanted parts would be very useful.

2. An option to mute the channels from mix output, and maybe even from their individual outputs. Would give a bit more routing flexibility.

3. An enhancement of the sampling time. I realize that this is by design and the old-school mentality is what attracts me to the module in the first place. But something like 22 or 33 seconds would allow recording of a few bars even in slower BPMs and open a lot of possibilities for remixing patterns.

Thanks!
jogging house ... new album 'names' out now.

benofbrown
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by benofbrown » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:15 am

ALM wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:57 am

- Add 'RANDOM' cue set which jumps to a random cue set when trigger recieved.
Awesome! That's freed up one of the CV inputs for me :)

DJ Tap Water
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DJ Tap Water » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:27 am

I would like to be able to record samples in segments, so instead of over writing a sample when recording there could be an option to add to the end of the sample, ie recording would start at the end of the current sample with reduced sampling time available. It would be useful for working with slices. If each subsequent recording was automatically set as a cue slice that would be a bonus.

I'm currently sampling a phrase and sequencing all the variations into one sliced sample is a challenge.

RE extending sample time. 11 seconds is quite a lot... Recording an octave up and then chromatically scaling down would double your time. These kinds of weird workarounds lead to interesting results sometimes and that's one of the things hardware is about for me...

boboter
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boboter » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:04 am

The octave-up thing sure is a fun trick that I like to use regardless of sample limit. But it doesn't work that well, if I just want to record a few bars of the active patch without basically changing everything.

Anyways, I was just asking if there is a possibility of this happening. All good.

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:13 pm

boboter wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:23 am
1. Would there be a chance to see some simple filtering on the individual channels? Just some basic highpass/lowpass settings to shave off some unwanted parts would be very useful.
Agree it would be nice but worried it wouldn't have the juice to do 8 filters at once (and if its limited to less how that would work UI wise). Also its likely gonna be pretty crappy compared to running through plentiful analog filters available in euro land. Its on the todo but fairly low down.
boboter wrote:
2. An option to mute the channels from mix output, and maybe even from their individual outputs. Would give a bit more routing flexibility.
This exists either by patching a physical dual output (taking them out of the mix output) or taking out of both by using key combos to mute or solo individual channels.
boboter wrote:
3. An enhancement of the sampling time. I realize that this is by design and the old-school mentality is what attracts me to the module in the first place. But something like 22 or 33 seconds would allow recording of a few bars even in slower BPMs and open a lot of possibilities for remixing patterns.
Yeah as you say its really by design and intended! I can't make any promises here - Let it push you... plenty of truly amazing music was made on a lot less sample time (when 8mb of RAM was an absolute luxury) :hyper:

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:17 pm

DJ Tap Water wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:27 am
I would like to be able to record samples in segments, so instead of over writing a sample when recording there could be an option to add to the end of the sample, ie recording would start at the end of the current sample with reduced sampling time available. It would be useful for working with slices. If each subsequent recording was automatically set as a cue slice that would be a bonus.
Agree would be nice. Also some kind of overdubbing... all like in a 'Record mode' somehow. :hmm:

boboter
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boboter » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:12 pm

@ALM
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I did not realize channels get subtracted from the mix when individual outputs are patched. Very nice!

Regarding the filter, you are of course right, an analog filter is always nicer. When I e.g. play a few sounds at half speed, I like to cut off some lows so the mix is cleaner, or smooth some highs when bits are crushed. So I was more looking for a simple mixing helper than a full-on filter. Great that you still find it worth considering, even if it's not high on the list. Much appreciated.
Last edited by boboter on Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronnieb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ronnieb » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:24 pm

Just gonna pop in a massive +1 for the filter idea if it helps with motivation!
Been secretly yearning for this but assumed it would be asking too much.

Even something as "simple" as a selectable bus to a highpass or lowpass filter before hitting the mix out would be well useful :goo:

shellfritsch
Common Wiggler

Post by shellfritsch » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:12 pm

while onboard digital filters would be nice - a simple workaround is to "resample" through an analog filter to an empty sample slot...

DJ Tap Water
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DJ Tap Water » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:41 pm

Filters.. Nyyhheeeaahh but I ready have some

Toggling between different types of recording (overdub, overwrite, sequential) would be sick

How about cross fade chokes?
Instead of a choke cutting off a sound immediately, the choked sample fades out - proportionally to the attack parameter of the sample doing the choking - creating a cross fade. I'm just freeballing here.

Create cue points with a trigger in whilst recording, so you can quickly chop a sample into various custom slices.

ronnieb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ronnieb » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:30 am

shellfritsch wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:12 pm
while onboard digital filters would be nice - a simple workaround is to "resample" through an analog filter to an empty sample slot...
I have being doing this a bit but it doesn't really apply for one of my more common use cases, when automating squids parameters like speed or rate and wanting to tame some of the artifacts introduces by the beautiful aliasing.

Saying that, this is by no means a knock on the squid! More like a pipe dream for my baby case.
DJ Tap Water wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:41 pm
Create cue points with a trigger in whilst recording, so you can quickly chop a sample into various custom slices.
I could see this being super useful too if it's possible but also starting to feel bad about all the feature requests. The squid is already an absolute gem as is :omg:

boboter
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boboter » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:22 pm

A little thought I had regarding the recording time: If you could select a lower sample rate prior to recording to e.g. double the sampling time (like on the SP303 for example), it might still be in spirit of the old-school philosophy.

Just an idea, but it found it worth sharing.

radar24
Common Wiggler

Post by radar24 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:01 pm

I'm wondering if output routing could be possible on firmware update level without any hardware revision.
Right now when I want to send kick, snare, hihats, toms to individual outputs then I use channel 1, 3, 5, 7.
however, I also want to use 2, 4, 6, 8 for various samples but I can live with them all routed to Mix Out.
so it would be so nice if I can route 2, 4, 6, 8 to Mix Out
Would this be possible with future firmware update?

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:16 pm

I was playing with the Squid Salmple last night in a patch where I had multiple CV assignments, adjusted sample settings (speed, loop mode etc). I powered down thinking this state would be saved, it wasn't. My bad.

However, it got me thinking... to save this state do I need to save it as a new bank? Knowing there are only 99 banks I can see these running out fast when saving versions with subtle variations.

This had never occurred to me up until this point as I had only really been using the Squid in its most basic way (as a preset drum kit player), but now that I'm asking more from it I am realizing this is a limitation.

Am I correct in this or am I missing a key piece of info (like more banks or the option to save a state that doesn't use a bank slot)?

THX
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

boboter
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boboter » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:47 pm

Edit: Never mind.

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Common Wiggler

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:28 pm

Here's some stuff I've been experimenting on. Eight copies of the same vocal sample, all pitched to harmonious notes, CV over the loop point being controlled by a slow, changing envelope. Heaven!

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:36 am

I spun anothe release - 111 , basically builds on previous beta release fixing a weird potential lockup and adding a step mode for cue sets.

Changes listed here; https://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm022/ChangeLog.txt

Download firmware here; https://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm022/111/

Enjoy :hyper:

benofbrown
Learning to Wiggle

Post by benofbrown » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:24 am

ALM wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:36 am
I spun anothe release - 111 , basically builds on previous beta release fixing a weird potential lockup and adding a step mode for cue sets.

Changes listed here; https://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm022/ChangeLog.txt

Download firmware here; https://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm022/111/

Enjoy :hyper:
Loving all these updates, thanks!

I was just wondering how difficult it would be to add a "loop" setting to the RANDOM mode, I'll try to explain.

At the moment one of the things I like to do is have a 1 bar drum loop split in to 8 cue sets. I've then been assigning the CV for the cue set to a random channel on Pamela's New Workout, which I then use the "Loop" parameter to either lock down to a few steps or open up to complete randomness.

It would be amazing if I could do all that just with the Squid, but I don't know how much work that would be for you to implement.

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:31 am

benofbrown wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:24 am
It would be amazing if I could do all that just with the Squid, but I don't know how much work that would be for you to implement.
Set a chans cue set to 'RANDOM' and every time you trigger you'll get a different cue set made active (I think is is what your asking for...? ).

benofbrown
Learning to Wiggle

Post by benofbrown » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:21 pm

ALM wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:31 am
benofbrown wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:24 am
Set a chans cue set to 'RANDOM' and every time you trigger you'll get a different cue set made active (I think is is what your asking for...? ).
Almost, I want to be able to loop that randomness for X beats like I can with Pam's.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”