ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by ALM » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:45 am

benofbrown wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:21 pm
Almost, I want to be able to loop that randomness for X beats like I can with Pam's.
Ah ok yes.. for that kind of thing you really should use Pam.

benofbrown
Learning to Wiggle

Post by benofbrown » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:01 pm

ALM wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:45 am
benofbrown wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:21 pm
Almost, I want to be able to loop that randomness for X beats like I can with Pam's.
Ah ok yes.. for that kind of thing you really should use Pam.
No worries, I'll carry on doing that then.

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:13 pm

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

baleen
Common Wiggler

Post by baleen » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:17 pm

well its a good thing my Squid arrived in the mail just as you post a video showing exactly where I want to start with the thing

DJ Tap Water
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DJ Tap Water » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:41 am

Re isolating the kick on its own channel

This would be a useful thing for me too

How: an alternative output configuration accessed by a button combo (or settings sub menu?), where the mix output becomes the output of channel 1 only. Allowing one to use the individual outputs for the rest of the sample slots. Or, similarly, channel 1+2 output could become 1 only, and 2 is available at the mix output.

Atm there are 5 outputs but you can't use them all at the same time, so this would make the most of the hardware.

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:14 am

DJ Tap Water wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:41 am

Atm there are 5 outputs but you can't use them all at the same time, so this would make the most of the hardware.
MIx output is an anolog mix output though - its sources have to be something thats already going to an individual existing output. It cant be another separate output.

Im bit concerned re allowing more than 2 chans on a output due to potential clipping issues when chans are mixed (digitally) and sanely handling it all in the UI.

radar24
Common Wiggler

Post by radar24 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:41 am

ALM wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:14 am
DJ Tap Water wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:41 am

MIx output is an anolog mix output though - its sources have to be something thats already going to an individual existing output. It cant be another separate output.

Im bit concerned re allowing more than 2 chans on a output due to potential clipping issues when chans are mixed (digitally) and sanely handling it all in the UI.
If Mix out can't be used another existing output, would there be any possibility in design wise to route chan 2 to different channel out when chan 1 is still used at chan 1-2 out?

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:39 pm

radar24 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:41 am
If Mix out can't be used another existing output, would there be any possibility in design wise to route chan 2 to different channel out when chan 1 is still used at chan 1-2 out?
Yes potentially but as I tried to say above, more than 2 channels on an output are going to start horribly clipping really easily and how would the UI work ?

Also do you realise its easy to swap channels around etc so you can group similarly route'd/eq'd sounds together with the same output ?

oliq
Learning to Wiggle

Post by oliq » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:02 pm

Loving my squid, mostly for drums but I am using 7 and 8 for some more pitched parts. I'm sequencing from a cirklon.

If you import a sample and want to used pitched, am I right the original samples should be an E to properly track? This is just about working for me but I find I need to set the cirklons CV output to 104% for it to track anything like properly to the notes I'm feeding it, and this only works across about an octave. I have the v/Oct knobs all the way at the bottom.

Am I missing something to get samples to work with 1v/octave following a scale?

radar24
Common Wiggler

Post by radar24 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:05 pm

ALM wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:39 pm

Also do you realise its easy to swap channels around etc so you can group similarly route'd/eq'd sounds together with the same output ?
I do this all the time and I normally separate kick and snare. ex) kick at chan 1 and snare at chan 3 and everything else at chan 5-8.
however one thing I'd wish to do is not wasting chan 2 and 4 and group them with others at chan 5-8.

DJ Tap Water
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DJ Tap Water » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:30 pm

Thanks for explaining the mix output and the possibilities, Matthew.

With 3 channels coming out of one digital output, clipping would definitely be something to work around. However, it might not be that bad: you could just turn all 3 down and boost gain externally. Or you use choking to avoid sounds occuring simultaneously. For people who will always be isolating their kick (because they want to process it dynamically in a very particular way, sidechain etc.) it would be better than permanently wasting a sample slot. I'm currently using the "other" channel of my kick output as a kick variation... Which is cool...

The more I think about it, though, why not just get crazy and have completely flexible signal routing on the 4 individual outs, if it's technically possible? You could then do stuff like use all 3 v/o slots on one output to make chords. But it would be more about isolating things and working out what you can get away with grouping. For instance, if you have 3 different high pitched metallic percussion type samples, you could probably group them easily without clipping. Whereas my kick sample often has the slot's volume turned right up anyway, prohibiting simultaneous sounds from its twin slot. The UI is: an extra sample parameter accessed with a button combo: audio routing. If it was cv-able, that opens up some interesting experimental stuff. It could even have a step setting, where each trigger shifts the output channel one place.

Also:D
Is there any love for the idea of being able to transpose sample pitch in octaves outside of the v/o slots? The UI could be: press function whilst on the "speed" parameter and it changes from 0>100 to -4>+4 (octaves)

I also think scales on the v/o slots would be nice...

Thanks again for being so responsive, Matthew, especially when most developers would not bother to update what is already a killer module...

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:12 am

DJ Tap Water wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:30 pm

With 3 channels coming out of one digital output, clipping would definitely be something to work around. However, it might not be that bad: you could just turn all 3 down and boost gain externally. Or you use choking to avoid sounds occuring simultaneously. For people who will always be isolating their kick (because they want to process it dynamically in a very particular way, sidechain etc.) it would be better than permanently wasting a sample slot. I'm currently using the "other" channel of my kick output as a kick variation... Which is cool...
No it really is that bad Im afraid. Pick any reasonable pair shipped of samples (all -3db) and up the level to 50 (which in unity) and now trigger both in close proximity.... This is what playing 3 like at 30 will be and it wont be obvious to most people what/why this is happening. I can work around by further reducing levels (too low) or potentially by doing some kind of limiting which could very well lead to other negatives on the sound.

Also I kind of like the limitation as it forces me to think creatively - You've said it yourself - using 2 kicks is cool (which you maybe not of done otherwise).

The scales stuff is on the list btw :hyper: Func + Speed currently shows you BPM... but you could use to figure out +/- octaves too.

rikrak
Common Wiggler

Post by rikrak » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:06 am

Just got a Squid. @ALM - I'm sure you're already aware of this but the Bank number only displays the first digit in some menus (eg Bank 58 displays as "5"). I noticed it was the same on DivKids YouTube vid from last year. I'm running latest firmware 111.

Loving Squid so far - really intuitive. The only thing I haven't figured out is Cue Sets, which could be explained in more detail, preferably with an example, in the manual.

One suggestion - when loading/saving a single WAV, it would be good to be able to choose source/destination channel numbers, irrespective of active channel (would be good if destination was set to active channel by default - as it is now).

Looking forward to next update!

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:17 am

rikrak wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:06 am
Loving Squid so far - really intuitive. The only thing I haven't figured out is Cue Sets, which could be explained in more detail, preferably with an example, in the manual.
Any hints on what's not clear for you would be appreciated.

rikrak
Common Wiggler

Post by rikrak » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:00 pm

ALM wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:17 am
rikrak wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:06 am
Any hints on what's not clear for you would be appreciated.
Thanks for your support.

When a Wav with markers is imported, do the markers become Start and Ends - and does the second marker, say, become an End of the first Cue Set and a Start of the second Cue Set?

If I use Split, the Cue Sets get renumbered? Or are new sets created in addition? For instance, if I have two Cue Sets - 1st for first half of sample, 2nd for second half, when I Split (creating a 3rd and 4th Cue Set) is Cue Set 2 still set to the second half of the sample or is it now the second quarter of the sample?

I read that Wavs get truncated to minimum Start and maximum End points when Saved - so this means I should always have a Cue Set encompassing the entire Sample if I want to avoid losing anything?

I can't see where CV control of Sets is covered. Just that it is possible.

I think the Cue Sets section in the manual would benefit from some illustrations to aid comprehension. Perhaps a long sample with multiple Cue Sets marked on it - and some screengrabs. I found I was trying to picture it in my head while grasping the concept. I realise it's not rocket science but maybe I'm a visual learner!
Last edited by rikrak on Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJ Tap Water
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DJ Tap Water » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:38 pm

:sb:
🍷

ALM wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:12 am
DJ Tap Water wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:30 pm

No it really is that bad Im afraid. Pick any reasonable pair shipped of samples (all -3db) and up the level to 50 (which in unity) and now trigger both in close proximity.... This is what playing 3 like at 30 will be and it wont be obvious to most people what/why this is happening. I can work around by further reducing levels (too low) or potentially by doing some kind of limiting which could very well lead to other negatives on the sound.

Also I kind of like the limitation as it forces me to think creatively - You've said it yourself - using 2 kicks is cool (which you maybe not of done otherwise).

The scales stuff is on the list btw :hyper: Func + Speed currently shows you BPM... but you could use to figure out +/- octaves too.

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:22 am

rikrak wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:00 pm
When a Wav with markers is imported, do the markers become Start and Ends - and does the second marker, say, become an End of the first Cue Set and a Start of the second Cue Set?
Yes - with the addition of the actual start and end points of the sample too. The markers are basically cut points and the cue sets will be made from this (with start/end points)... so if you have a sample with a single marker in the middle, you'd get one cue with the start/loop being start of sample and end being the marker and the other with start/loop being the marker and end being the end of the sample.
rikrak wrote:
If I use Split, the Cue Sets get renumbered? Or are new sets created in addition? For instance, if I have two Cue Sets - 1st for first half of sample, 2nd for second half, when I Split (creating a 3rd and 4th Cue Set) is Cue Set 2 still set to the second half of the sample or is it now the second quarter of the sample?
They'll get renumbered staying in order with each cue getting split into two.
rikrak wrote:
I read that Wavs get truncated to minimum Start and maximum End points when Saved - so this means I should always have a Cue Set encompassing the entire Sample if I want to avoid losing anything?
Yes.
rikrak wrote:
I can't see where CV control of Sets is covered. Just that it is possible.
With the Cue Set screen active just press one of the CV assign buttons.
rikrak wrote:
I think the Cue Sets section in the manual would benefit from some illustrations to aid comprehension. Perhaps a long sample with multiple Cue Sets marked on it - and some screengrabs. I found I was trying to picture it in my head while grasping the concept. I realise it's not rocket science but maybe I'm a visual learner!
Yep agreed. I want to rework/think the cue sets UI a little somehow as its growing quite a bit.

baleen
Common Wiggler

Post by baleen » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:04 pm

ALM wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:22 am
I want to rework/think the cue sets UI a little somehow as its growing quite a bit.
yeah but cue sets are Cool As Hell already so just keep on keeping on with that.

I might give some time to a Long Post as I've been Salmpling for about two weeks and clearly should have just bought this thing a year ago.

baleen
Common Wiggler

Post by baleen » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:43 am

however I have experienced a couple freezes/crashes with my Squid. just stops what its doing, interface freezes, high pitched whine happens. resolved with a power cycle to my system. I'd prefer this doesn't happen but am not sure how to prevent it. tonight's happened after removing a CV source from a trigger input.

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:56 am

baleen wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:43 am
however I have experienced a couple freezes/crashes with my Squid. just stops what its doing, interface freezes, high pitched whine happens. resolved with a power cycle to my system.
Are you running latest firmware ? Can you reliably reproduce ?

baleen
Common Wiggler

Post by baleen » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:20 am

ALM wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:56 am
baleen wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:43 am
however I have experienced a couple freezes/crashes with my Squid. just stops what its doing, interface freezes, high pitched whine happens. resolved with a power cycle to my system.
Are you running latest firmware ? Can you reliably reproduce ?
yes (v111) and no/not yet. has happened two maybe three times but can’t say I was doing “X” when it happened. the crash last night was unplugging a square wave from batumi from a trigger in.

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:28 am

baleen wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:20 am
yes (v111) and no/not yet. has happened two maybe three times but can’t say I was doing “X” when it happened. the crash last night was unplugging a square wave from batumi from a trigger in.
If it happens again please try and note what channel number is was, what the sample was, what was assigned etc... The more info on state the better (you can just email).

ALM
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ALM » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:35 am

Deep Dive number II :hyper:

Paroxysm01
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Paroxysm01 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:05 am

I've been looking at this sampler for a while and it has everything I love about it, except one thing: there is no V/Oct scaling when using CV to switch between cues, meaning that using a keystep and having each key play a different cue is impossible, and there is really no convenient and deterministic way to sequence different samples with a sequencer because pitch CV outs will not play a different cue per note on a chromatic scale. So sending a C pitch, then an E, then an F# will most likely erratically change which sample is playing or change nothing at all. Coming from a background of using DAWs, every sampler which slices has this feature and I consider it as absolutely essential. Are there any workarounds for this?

Thanks

technocalypse
1-Post Wiggler

Post by technocalypse » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:06 pm

is it possible to mute or solo multiple channels at the same time (with one click) for performance?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”