ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Post Reply
User avatar
shellfritsch
Common Wiggler
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:57 am
Location: Glendale, CA
Contact:

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by shellfritsch » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:10 pm

@ALM is there any info you can share about i2c plans? i would love to be able to use the 16n faderbank with salmple and have extra manual controls beyond the hardware cv inputs :)

User avatar
ALM
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:43 am

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by ALM » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:13 pm

shellfritsch wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:10 pm
@ALM is there any info you can share about i2c plans? i would love to be able to use the 16n faderbank with salmple and have extra manual controls beyond the hardware cv inputs :)
So far I've not had much joy getting i2c work simply and reliably in a generic sense.. i2c isn't really intended for this kind of thing :( .

I've made some progress on more specific expander(s) for extended control but tbh having most fun still improving the Squid itself right now.

User avatar
Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Common Wiggler
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:52 pm
Location: Cincinnati

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:33 pm

Not sure if I'm doing something incorrectly but I can't seem to get the Auto cue creation to work. I'm clicking the knob with some transient-ey samples but no cues are being made.

User avatar
shellfritsch
Common Wiggler
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:57 am
Location: Glendale, CA
Contact:

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by shellfritsch » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:27 pm

ALM wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:13 pm
So far I've not had much joy getting i2c work simply and reliably in a generic sense.. i2c isn't really intended for this kind of thing :( .

I've made some progress on more specific expander(s) for extended control but tbh having most fun still improving the Squid itself right now.
ah, yeah - i2c is a bit funky.. and i imagine adding generic i2c support would be a pain on the UI side... thanks for the update on that.
and thanks for your continued work on squid features. just had a go at the new "extend" sample recording mode and found that creating a bank of SY0.5 samples was a total breeze. amazing!

i am wondering if you'd consider a random cue select mode that doesn't repeat the same cue twice in a row? i was using it to add natural variation (SY0.5 sampled with slight parameter tweaks) - but on faster 16th notes, when the same cue repeats 2 or 3 times in a row the effect is lost...

User avatar
greyscales
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 4:17 pm

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by greyscales » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:56 pm

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:33 pm
Not sure if I'm doing something incorrectly but I can't seem to get the Auto cue creation to work. I'm clicking the knob with some transient-ey samples but no cues are being made.
I haven’t had any luck with this either. Thought I would try it out on an Amen break but nothing happened. Really looking forward to it when I finally do figure it out.

User avatar
Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Common Wiggler
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:52 pm
Location: Cincinnati

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:01 pm

Played around some more and was also running into strange issues with the random cue setting - it seems to only pick from the first half of the cues made. Using CV to control cues seems to have full control. Still as fun as can be!

User avatar
ALM
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:43 am

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by ALM » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:14 pm

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:33 pm
Not sure if I'm doing something incorrectly but I can't seem to get the Auto cue creation to work. I'm clicking the knob with some transient-ey samples but no cues are being made.
Check there is no DC offset on your sample as that can confuse things. If you sampled via Squid check the calibration (see manual) particularly incoming ('s') offset.

...But I wouldn't worry too much as I think its improved a little in version I have locally which I'll release this week.
Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:01 pm
Played around some more and was also running into strange issues with the random cue setting - it seems to only pick from the first half of the cues made. Using CV to control cues seems to have full control. Still as fun as can be!
I'll get this fixed!

User avatar
elinch
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:50 am
Location: Germany

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by elinch » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:51 am

Hello ALM :-),
your new videos are really very inspiring.

However, I have been trying to patch the granular example for 3 hours. It just doesn't work. For me, the 3 values ​​(start, end, loop) never run in parallel, if at all. An error occurred every time when saving. Only a small piece of the 11 second sample was saved.
I have the latest software.

Would it be great if you could publish a step-by-step description here in the forum?

User avatar
baleen
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 1:55 pm
Location: sf ca

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by baleen » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:27 pm

elinch wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:51 am
Hello ALM :-),
your new videos are really very inspiring.

However, I have been trying to patch the granular example for 3 hours. It just doesn't work. For me, the 3 values ​​(start, end, loop) never run in parallel, if at all. An error occurred every time when saving. Only a small piece of the 11 second sample was saved.
I have the latest software.

Would it be great if you could publish a step-by-step description here in the forum?
off the top of my head:

•record a salmple
•patch in a unipolar CV source to a CV in
•enter the CUE UI, "start" should be selected
•press the Assign button by the CV input you've used
•press FUNC+Assign to enter the attenuation/offset menu for CV to "Start"
•Personal Tip: I attenuate "Start" so that it doesn't smash up against the end of the salmple.
•when set, press Cue again, and again, to select "End" (end point of playback)
•Assign the same CV source, press Func+Assign to enter the atten/offset menu, OFFSET becomes maximum "grain size" (again I attenuate a little)
•back to Cue, press twice to get to "Loop" (loop point of playback)
•Assign the same CV source, press Func+Assign to enter the atten/offset menu, OFFSET becomes "grain size"

think i covered it at least as I've been doing it. this works every time for me.

User avatar
ALM
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:43 am

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by ALM » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:09 am

Announcing release 125 with some fixes + tweaks on the previous beta.. from Changelog;
VER 125 (4/20)  
==    
 - Fix Cue split to split to 64 sets (rather than 32) 
 - Add option to remove all cue sets. Make add option stay on add selection.     
 - Make extend record warn when chan full. Add Enc+Rec to clear.   
 - Fix potential crasher on Extend when ram overwritten.  
 - Fix extend with short triggers.    
 - Fix bank num being show correct in load title bar.        
 - Fix sync bank name if set before bank saved.   
 - Fix Random cue set selection not selecting all sets.

You can download here - https://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm022/125/

Full changelog is here; https://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm022/ChangeLog.txt

The manual has only been updated covering new features and redoing the cue sets section so hopefully now more clear.

Check & follow ALM TV youtube for videos showing the new features and our Instagram

User avatar
ALM_Zach
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:48 am

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by ALM_Zach » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:36 pm

This video shows off some patches with the new features:
- Autochop and remove all cue sets
- Using the EOS triggers to make a full beat from a couple of gate inputs
- Making an easier delay with the new overdub record mode and assigning EOS to the physical trigger output


User avatar
ALM_Zach
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:48 am

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by ALM_Zach » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:59 pm

baleen wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:27 pm
elinch wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:51 am
Hello ALM :-),
your new videos are really very inspiring.

However, I have been trying to patch the granular example for 3 hours. It just doesn't work. For me, the 3 values ​​(start, end, loop) never run in parallel, if at all. An error occurred every time when saving. Only a small piece of the 11 second sample was saved.
I have the latest software.

Would it be great if you could publish a step-by-step description here in the forum?
off the top of my head:

•record a salmple
•patch in a unipolar CV source to a CV in
•enter the CUE UI, "start" should be selected
•press the Assign button by the CV input you've used
•press FUNC+Assign to enter the attenuation/offset menu for CV to "Start"
•Personal Tip: I attenuate "Start" so that it doesn't smash up against the end of the salmple.
•when set, press Cue again, and again, to select "End" (end point of playback)
•Assign the same CV source, press Func+Assign to enter the atten/offset menu, OFFSET becomes maximum "grain size" (again I attenuate a little)
•back to Cue, press twice to get to "Loop" (loop point of playback)
•Assign the same CV source, press Func+Assign to enter the atten/offset menu, OFFSET becomes "grain size"

think i covered it at least as I've been doing it. this works every time for me.
Hey, I make the YT videos. Yeah this description is pretty much it. The offset is really important to apply to the end and loop time CV assignments, with the loop offset you can make the "grain" even smaller. If there is no offset between the start and end it wont really make sound because they are in the same location. I always start with a fixed offset when setting this up so its easier to get the attenuation and offset levels sorted out.

Its strange you said they aren't running in parallel for you. Even if you just go to a sample and assign the same CV to start, end and loop it should show a single solid line moving along. The one thing that may be happening is if you move the start/end line forward too quickly the dotted loop line will follow behind and play the sample normally. I find the granular/time stretch effect works better with slower moving CV signals but it is kind of a cool effect that it can play normally while also producing granular sounds. (With more specific control patched the "following loop playhead" can be less noticeable.)

If you skipped to the granular/time stretch portion of the video and missed the wavetable section that is where the patch for this is really explained. I find it is pretty important to get every little step right in the initial setup for some of these more complex functions.

User avatar
baleen
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 1:55 pm
Location: sf ca

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by baleen » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:31 pm

ALM wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:09 am
Announcing release 125 with some fixes + tweaks on the previous beta.. from Changelog;
VER 125 (4/20)  
   
 - Make extend record warn when chan full. Add Enc+Rec to clear.   
 
as i'm not sitting w my synth rn - this means Enc+Rec will clear the salmple buffer? :tu:

User avatar
elinch
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:50 am
Location: Germany

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by elinch » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:14 am

thanks for the explanations.

but somehow it still doesn't work for me. the 3 lines do not want to run parallel. I always watched the video in parallel.

Well then I will jump on the new sample functions of the update :-)

User avatar
greyscales
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 4:17 pm

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by greyscales » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:21 am

New firmware seems to have fixed my issue with the auto-cue creation! Should be a lot of fun to chuck samples in and see what kind of chops will come out.

User avatar
elinch
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:50 am
Location: Germany

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by elinch » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:43 am

Granular stuff works now with the new installed softwareversion. Thanks for your support!

User avatar
Hek
Common Wiggler
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:15 am

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by Hek » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:15 pm

Great work with the updates.

Got a SanDisk Ultra Fit USB3.1, this doesnt seem to work? Still its the only "flush" usb stick thats sold around here. Should i format it in any special way, or could it work in a future update?

Surfrdan
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:17 am

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by Surfrdan » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:31 pm

I'm still struggling with the auto cues, I also went with an Amen, grabbed straight from http://www.orangefreesounds.com/amen-break/ and just changed the name. No processing ITB, just straight to USB. I'm running ver. 125 and like above, nothing seems to happen when pressing 'auto'. time division slicing all works fine and I've had a blast pairing this with Pamela today but auto cueing would be great to get working too :D Thanks for the huge updates (and for adding quantization to Pam)

User avatar
insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1148
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:48 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by insoul8 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:27 am

Are there any custom cue sets people have made that they are sharing? Not sure if there is already some place for that similar to how people share reels for the Morphagene on freesound.org.

User avatar
shellfritsch
Common Wiggler
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:57 am
Location: Glendale, CA
Contact:

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by shellfritsch » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:58 am

@alm i was sequencing cue selection and noticed that it was always updating late- one gate after where it should be. I guess my sequencer is sending the cv update just after the gate. Would it be possible to add an adjustable micro gate delay to the squid?

second, unrelated question: do you think you’ll ever add midi support? Maybe with an expander?

User avatar
ALM
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:43 am

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by ALM » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:52 pm

shellfritsch wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:58 am
@alm i was sequencing cue selection and noticed that it was always updating late- one gate after where it should be. I guess my sequencer is sending the cv update just after the gate. Would it be possible to add an adjustable micro gate delay to the squid?
The CV inputs can't update as fast the trigger inputs can react.. the workaround is to delay any triggers by approx ~10 ms after you've updated CV to the value you want (or update CV 10 ms early).

I've tried to improve this with various ideas but no luck. I could add a 'slow trigger' mode (kind of like you suggest) but holding out for a better solution as yet.
shellfritsch wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:58 am
second, unrelated question: do you think you’ll ever add midi support? Maybe with an expander?
Would like too..

User avatar
ALM
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:43 am

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by ALM » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:53 pm

insoul8 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:27 am
Are there any custom cue sets people have made that they are sharing? Not sure if there is already some place for that similar to how people share reels for the Morphagene on freesound.org.
Watch this space...

User avatar
Crimesofthecrown
Common Wiggler
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:25 pm
Location: Santa Monica

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by Crimesofthecrown » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:43 am

ALM wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:53 pm
insoul8 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:27 am
Are there any custom cue sets people have made that they are sharing? Not sure if there is already some place for that similar to how people share reels for the Morphagene on freesound.org.
Watch this space...
:goo: :yay: :goo:
GOD IS WAR - Curator of Hyper-Violent Industrial and Heavy Electronics


User avatar
Mikeyg3k
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:48 pm
Location: Bronx, NY

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by Mikeyg3k » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:33 am

ALM wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:53 pm
insoul8 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:27 am
Are there any custom cue sets people have made that they are sharing? Not sure if there is already some place for that similar to how people share reels for the Morphagene on freesound.org.
Watch this space...
I heard there was a magician who could turn morphagene reels into banks for the squid 🦑............... ✨

User avatar
insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1148
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:48 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by insoul8 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:49 am

Mikeyg3k wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:33 am
ALM wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:53 pm
insoul8 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:27 am
Are there any custom cue sets people have made that they are sharing? Not sure if there is already some place for that similar to how people share reels for the Morphagene on freesound.org.
Watch this space...
I heard there was a magician who could turn morphagene reels into banks for the squid 🦑............... ✨
It's really quite annoying you can't mess with markers in Logic/Ableton/Audacity. What are you all using as an editor?

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”