ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

induktor
Wiggling with Experience

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by induktor » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:56 am

insoul8 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:49 am
Mikeyg3k wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:33 am
ALM wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:53 pm
insoul8 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:27 am
Are there any custom cue sets people have made that they are sharing? Not sure if there is already some place for that similar to how people share reels for the Morphagene on freesound.org.
Watch this space...
I heard there was a magician who could turn morphagene reels into banks for the squid 🦑............... ✨
It's really quite annoying you can't mess with markers in Logic/Ableton/Audacity. What are you all using as an editor?
Reaper does the trick for me in this case.

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:00 pm

thanks!

baleen
Common Wiggler

Post by baleen » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:09 pm

i'd love to know if anyone has a process for automatically chopping files into 11 sec chunks

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:21 am

insoul8 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:49 am
It's really quite annoying you can't mess with markers in Logic/Ableton/Audacity. What are you all using as an editor?
Ocen Audio is a nice free cross platform editor which does Markers nicely.

My favourite is Twisted Wave which is paid Mac only but is really nice for Markers and can do nice batch type stuff like splitting files up on markers and what not, really useful.

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:21 am

Thanks. I'll be sure to check out Ocen Audio. I have a Mac for recording but I use PC day to day for everything else. I really dislike MacOS for most stuff but I sure do love my aggregate devices and rock solid RME drivers! And Firewire 800 port for that matter. I really am stuck on this damn Mac for the foreseeable future, aren't I?

Mikeyg3k
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mikeyg3k » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:01 am

Mr ALM.... silly question... is there a way to use one of those 1/8 stereo to mono Y split cables to split the outs of 1/2, 3/4, etc?

ATW
Common Wiggler

Post by ATW » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:06 am

My favourite is Twisted Wave which is paid Mac only but is really nice for Markers and can do nice batch type stuff like splitting files up on markers and what not, really useful.
Yes, this is my favorite sample editor for Mac, worth every penny.

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:12 pm

Mikeyg3k wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:01 am
Mr ALM.... silly question... is there a way to use one of those 1/8 stereo to mono Y split cables to split the outs of 1/2, 3/4, etc?
No - they are mono jacks not stereo... and the dual outputs are mixed digitally.

oliq
Common Wiggler

Post by oliq » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:51 pm

Is this a good place for ideas/feature requests?

I'd love a different load mode as well as load full kit and load 1. This is 'load except 1'. So load a whole kit, except for a specified channel. Not sure how useful others would find this, but I want to be able to sample a loop and keep it going while I then load a new kit to transition between different tracks in a live set. Would also be good to keep something going like a percussion part or drone while loading in the rest of a kit of new samples for a bit change in a piece. Or if using as a drum machine, keep the kick going on channel 1 but load a new set of kit samples across all the other channels.

Would anyone else find this useful?

Love this module by the way, powerful for simple uses like a drum sampler but really creative too.

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Common Wiggler

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:23 pm

oliq wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:51 pm
Is this a good place for ideas/feature requests?

I'd love a different load mode as well as load full kit and load 1. This is 'load except 1'. So load a whole kit, except for a specified channel. Not sure how useful others would find this, but I want to be able to sample a loop and keep it going while I then load a new kit to transition between different tracks in a live set. Would also be good to keep something going like a percussion part or drone while loading in the rest of a kit of new samples for a bit change in a piece. Or if using as a drum machine, keep the kick going on channel 1 but load a new set of kit samples across all the other channels.

Would anyone else find this useful?

Love this module by the way, powerful for simple uses like a drum sampler but really creative too.
I think an easy way to cheat this is just copying the desired sample to another bank or however many banks. Haven't tried it myself but I've thought about something similar to what you're describing, and the squid does a stellar job of swapping banks without any latency/sample stopping

oliq
Common Wiggler

Post by oliq » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:27 pm

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:23 pm
I think an easy way to cheat this is just copying the desired sample to another bank or however many banks. Haven't tried it myself but I've thought about something similar to what you're describing, and the squid does a stellar job of swapping banks without any latency/sample stopping
Thanks! Yes that's a good way of doing it for the single sample continuing playing.

I was also thinking of resampling a loop on the fly, keeping it playing on channel 8 and then loading the rest of the samples for a new kit on the other channels. Maybe I am over-complicating it.

georgechond
Learning to Wiggle

Post by georgechond » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:43 pm

Hey guys,
Squid Salmple is such a great module, I am in love with mine so far.
Feature request, which might be helpful to more people than just me (especially when performing live/and easy to implement I suppose):

Being able to assign mute/solo to the CV controls.
(FUNC) + Chan + Env + CV 1/2/3 Assign.
Send trigger/gate to mute/solo and back.

Something similar can be achieved by assigning the Channel Level to a CV input, but as long as mute/solo functionality is there, why not CV control it 8-)

pmarchitect
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmarchitect » Fri May 01, 2020 2:48 pm

Can anyone tell me the use of the Channel CV input?

I’m baffled by it.

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Fri May 01, 2020 3:12 pm

pmarchitect wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:48 pm

I’m baffled by it.
It was originally intended so you can control a recordings channel destination... i.e you could build a patch which would automatically fill a full bank with samples.

pmarchitect
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmarchitect » Fri May 01, 2020 3:18 pm

ALM wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:12 pm
pmarchitect wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:48 pm

I’m baffled by it.
It was originally intended so you can control a recordings channel destination... i.e you could build a patch which would automatically fill a full bank with samples.
I see. Thanks!

rutabaga40
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rutabaga40 » Sat May 02, 2020 8:44 am

ATW wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:06 am
Yes, this is my favorite sample editor for Mac, worth every penny.
Hey folks, will either the labels in Audacity work as markers or the marker function in Izotope RX7? Those are two programs I already own and know...

Thanks!

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Sun May 03, 2020 5:12 pm

Re the channel trigger input. Switching channels with a trigger input is only useful when you're recording. So, why not have it do something else whilst recording is not active? It could enable another way to navigate cue points: an extra option next to Step and Random - Trigger. When this is selected, the channel trigger input advances cue position.
Any other ideas?

RE muting channels with cv input. You can already do this by creating a cue set which contains silence.

I'd like to be able to adjust the pitch by whole octaves on every channel...

I don't use the v/o stuff much. Usually they stay in octave mode. I'd swap all 3 v/o inputs for an extra cv. Sequencing cue sets beats v/o sequencing hands down for me. Also, for drums, sequencing bitcrush and start/end, pitch
and envelopes... Especially when each cv input can be assigned multiple things, is super powerful. V/o is nice but not where the module shines.

Love my squid tho 😩🦑💔

baleen
Common Wiggler

Post by baleen » Sun May 03, 2020 6:15 pm

DJ Tap Water wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 5:12 pm
V/o is nice but not where the module shines.
gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.

georgechond
Learning to Wiggle

Post by georgechond » Mon May 04, 2020 4:01 am

DJ Tap Water wrote:
RE muting channels with cv input. You can already do this by creating a cue set which contains silence.
That's true partially, what if the sample doesn't contain silence at all? And what if u wanna solo something? Do u wanna create cue sets which contain silence for 7 channels?

As long as mute/solo functionality is there, and cv assign is there, why make it possible to mute/solo only by using a button combination?

Sounds like a useful and easy to implement feature to me. 8-)
DJ Tap Water wrote:
I agree but that also depends on your system and what u wanna do with it, v/o is suuuper useful in a more compact system, like System Coupe for example.

NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler

Post by NaiveMelody » Tue May 12, 2020 4:40 am

I'm really drawn to the non-traditional percussion sounds that can be got out of the WMD Fracture, such as in the below:

I was wondering how achievable that is with the Salmple? I appreciate I could load up 'pre fractured' samples, but I'd rather be able to bend, break and fracture samples to create those sorts of non-traditional sounds that just 'play' pre-made samples - in a way like Fracture functions.

I'm drawn to Salmple as it would enable a wider palette of sound and use.

Keen to hear your thoughts.

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Tue May 12, 2020 9:21 am

FYI, i have been using Adobe Audition (I believe it began as Cool Edit Pro a long, long time ago) to create cue sets and it is super easy. You can use the open append feature and it automatically inserts the markers at the beginning of each sample. I can make 8 cue sets from organized samples in just a matter of minutes. Just remember to get the levels right as the first few I made were way too loud and clipped on the Squid. Please correct me if this is wrong but I think you want to normalize to around -3db.

yellowecho
Wiggling with Experience

Post by yellowecho » Tue May 12, 2020 12:28 pm

baleen wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:15 pm
DJ Tap Water wrote:
gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.
Yeah, I disagree too. I like to setup patches where drum hits use 1-5 while 5-8 are setup with bass, harmony, and melody sounds that are sequenced. It allows for full compositions using a single module!

wavefold
sonic lad

Post by wavefold » Tue May 12, 2020 2:56 pm

insoul8 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:21 am
FYI, i have been using Adobe Audition (I believe it began as Cool Edit Pro a long, long time ago) to create cue sets and it is super easy. You can use the open append feature and it automatically inserts the markers at the beginning of each sample. I can make 8 cue sets from organized samples in just a matter of minutes. Just remember to get the levels right as the first few I made were way too loud and clipped on the Squid. Please correct me if this is wrong but I think you want to normalize to around -3db.
was wondering too if there's an ideal gain to normalise samples to for the Squid. I'm normalising my loops at -3db too (as I've seen that's the average level on the factory library
Wavefold Racing Team

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/wavefold

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis » Sun May 17, 2020 11:23 am

maybe this has been asked before, not sure, but i see there's an expansion header on the back of Squid salmple, any chance that could be used to normal mmMidi trigger outs to the 8 triggers inputs of the Squid? Would be super cool and convenient :)

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Tue May 26, 2020 2:46 am

NaiveMelody wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:40 am
I'm really drawn to the non-traditional percussion sounds that can be got out of the WMD Fracture, such as in the below:

I was wondering how achievable that is with the Salmple? I appreciate I could load up 'pre fractured' samples, but I'd rather be able to bend, break and fracture samples to create those sorts of non-traditional sounds that just 'play' pre-made samples - in a way like Fracture functions.

I'm drawn to Salmple as it would enable a wider palette of sound and use.

Keen to hear your thoughts.
Yes you can totally do granular ish sounds with squid. I actually sold my fracture because I could do such a good impression of it with squid: modulate pitch, start, end, loop type, attack, decay, bitcrush: you can take a simple hihat sample and make it sound like a masticating demon. Which is why I wish squid had more CV inputs... It does have a cv matrix and a good UI. It's a great module.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”