ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Tue May 26, 2020 2:55 am

yellowecho wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:28 pm
baleen wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:15 pm
DJ Tap Water wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 5:12 pm
V/o is nice but not where the module shines.
gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.
Yeah, I disagree too. I like to setup patches where drum hits use 1-5 while 5-8 are setup with bass, harmony, and melody sounds that are sequenced. It allows for full compositions using a single module!
But you can do melodic sequences with cv to slices and avoid the pitch aliasing (and also introduce tons more variation with one cv control). You could also have a cv input controlling pitch in a quantised way with different firmware (maybe).

NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler

Post by NaiveMelody » Tue May 26, 2020 8:56 am

DJ Tap Water wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:46 am

Yes you can totally do granular ish sounds with squid. I actually sold my fracture because I could do such a good impression of it with squid: modulate pitch, start, end, loop type, attack, decay, bitcrush: you can take a simple hihat sample and make it sound like a masticating demon. Which is why I wish squid had more CV inputs... It does have a cv matrix and a good UI. It's a great module.
Thanks for that, really good to know and exactly the kind of thing I want to do! My desire for Squid Salmple is increasing by the minute!

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Tue May 26, 2020 4:18 pm

Another feature suggestion: trigger delay, so incoming triggers can be given a few milliseconds before they are processed, to allow sequencers which send laggy CV (*cough* er101 *cough*) to hit their intended slices. Assimil8or has this feature. Would anyone else find this useful?

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Common Wiggler

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Wed May 27, 2020 9:47 am

I think im missing something, but how does the scrub feature work? I remember seeing something about it in a previous firmware but can't figure it out

Hek
Common Wiggler

Post by Hek » Thu May 28, 2020 12:58 pm

ALM wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:12 pm
pmarchitect wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:48 pm
Can anyone tell me the use of the Channel CV input?

I’m baffled by it.
It was originally intended so you can control a recordings channel destination... i.e you could build a patch which would automatically fill a full bank with samples.
Would it be possible to also make the ”chan” input trigger the samples when switching channels? Like a random trigger input?

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:37 am

I would find gated playback with a release envelope useful. The gated looping currently produces pops becuase there is no release envelope.

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:08 am

DJ Tap Water wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:37 am
I would find gated playback with a release envelope useful. The gated looping currently produces pops becuase there is no release envelope.
Pops ? no release envelope ? could you elaborate a bit ..maybe provide example ?

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:44 am

When the gate goes low in gated looping mode, the sound just immediately cuts off. This sudden change in audio amplitude often creates a popping or clicking sound. Most samplers get around this by adding a release envelope in audio amplitude, so rather than just suddenly cutting out there is a quick fade out. Not enough to notice the fade (don't need much), but just enough to eliminate the pops. Right now gated looping creates tons of pops/clicks. Many samplers employ this subtle release envelope globally: not a bad idea tbqh.

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:15 am

In fact it's really important.. There needs to be a release envelope on volume every time a sample is cut short by retrigger or chokes or whatever. This will get rid of pops.

depaffect
Common Wiggler

Post by depaffect » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:37 pm

ALM wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:52 pm

The CV inputs can't update as fast the trigger inputs can react.. the workaround is to delay any triggers by approx ~10 ms after you've updated CV to the value you want (or update CV 10 ms early).
I am curious : when trying to sequence particular slices of a sample : has anyone been able to do this with only a 10ms delay between the CV change and trigger?

I have to delay my trigger by around 40ms to get the "correct" slice to play

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:11 am

DJ Tap Water wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:44 am
When the gate goes low in gated looping mode, the sound just immediately cuts off. This sudden change in audio amplitude often creates a popping or clicking sound.
Do you realise if you set the a Decay value (under Env) it will add a release envelope and not immediate cut off when gate goes low ?

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:48 pm

ALM wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:11 am
DJ Tap Water wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:44 am
When the gate goes low in gated looping mode, the sound just immediately cuts off. This sudden change in audio amplitude often creates a popping or clicking sound.
Do you realise if you set the a Decay value (under Env) it will add a release envelope and not immediate cut off when gate goes low ?
I did not know that, thanks that's useful. What do you think about a release envelope for when a sound is interrupted by a retrigger or a choke? Just long enough to eliminate clicks and pops. It's a common problem for me with the squid.

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:55 pm

I see in the manual the inputs only accept 0-5v — so there's no way to adjust the CV inputs negatively. I'm wondering if there might be an update which enables the CV matrix to work like the CV matrix on Pamela's New Workout?

On Pam's it is a very elegant solution — a simple CW or CCW turn of the parameter lets you attenuate or attenuvert. This means the CV going in can be fully adjusted per parameter. It's super powerful.

The reason I ask is, I'm looking to open up the decay of a sound with CV but since longer decays have lower values on the Squid I have to use an external module to first apply offset and then remove it to get the desired effect - all this before the CV enters the Squid.

This would be easier if short decay envelopes correlated with low decay values within the Squid but strangely, a decay value of 1 creates the longest envelope and a decay value of 99 creates the shortest. :doh:

THX
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:21 am

OHEXOH wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:55 pm
I see in the manual the inputs only accept 0-5v — so there's no way to adjust the CV inputs negatively. I'm wondering if there might be an update which enables the CV matrix to work like the CV matrix on Pamela's New Workout?

On Pam's it is a very elegant solution — a simple CW or CCW turn of the parameter lets you attenuate or attenuvert. This means the CV going in can be fully adjusted per parameter. It's super powerful.
Yep sorry I cant remember exactly why the Squid does not let you attenuvert :( ! It could of been a simplification usability wise or maybe more likely just missed. I will investigate and if possible add in to firmware update.
OHEXOH wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:55 pm
The reason I ask is, I'm looking to open up the decay of a sound with CV but since longer decays have lower values on the Squid I have to use an external module to first apply offset and then remove it to get the desired effect - all this before the CV enters the Squid.

This would be easier if short decay envelopes correlated with low decay values within the Squid but strangely, a decay value of 1 creates the longest envelope and a decay value of 99 creates the shortest. :doh:
So the thinking here on how the decay parameter works is its a measure of the amount of 'slope' added to a sample - at 0 there is no extra decay slope applied, 99 is maximum. so with CV is applied - 0V means no decay slope added , 5V means full slope (very short decay). The admittedly thin advantage this has over handling it the other way around is it mirrors the attack settings and with CV assigned and 0v applied you still hear something...

It used to be the previous way around and people complained about that thus the change so :despair:

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:33 pm

ALM wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:21 am
Yep sorry I cant remember exactly why the Squid does not let you attenuvert :( ! It could of been a simplification usability wise or maybe more likely just missed. I will investigate and if possible add in to firmware update.
That would be amazing - fingers crossed! Yeah, Pam's does it so well (CCW is attenuvert and CW is attenuate).
ALM wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:21 am
So the thinking here on how the decay parameter works is its a measure of the amount of 'slope' added to a sample - at 0 there is no extra decay slope applied, 99 is maximum. so with CV is applied - 0V means no decay slope added , 5V means full slope (very short decay). The admittedly thin advantage this has over handling it the other way around is it mirrors the attack settings and with CV assigned and 0v applied you still hear something...

It used to be the previous way around and people complained about that thus the change so :despair:
Yeah, I thought it used to be the other way round. I hear the issue and why reversing it would solve the 0v issue. I wonder if the CV input could be attenuverted - it would help solve this? Interesting problem for sure. :hmm:
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:55 am

What do people think about mapping sample slice cv selection to v/o semitones? If not as the default, as an option.

emergingstates
Learning to Wiggle

Post by emergingstates » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:13 am

I was looking at the microgranny for a quick fun sampler, the ALM is a lot deeper, but do you guys find it quick and fun to get around? I'm finding it hard to grasp all the possibilities this module offers and wonder if the simpler granny would be a better fit for me. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:24 am

emergingstates wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:13 am
I was looking at the microgranny for a quick fun sampler, the ALM is a lot deeper, but do you guys find it quick and fun to get around? I'm finding it hard to grasp all the possibilities this module offers and wonder if the simpler granny would be a better fit for me. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
The squid was one of the first major modules I got and I think I've looked at the manual maybe two or three times at most .
In my opinion, ALM have some of the most well thought out design in their products. Sure there is a lot you can do and it's entirely menu driven which can seem off putting but in reality, the GUI is super simple and easy to wrap your head around, the whole thing is an absolute breeze to use. If you have the extra cash & HP, don't think twice. Quick & fun are two of the first words I'd use to describe squidy :guinness:

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:25 am

That being said, I actually haven't tried much granular stuff with the squid so if that's your main use case, maybe someone else can chime in.

emergingstates
Learning to Wiggle

Post by emergingstates » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:58 am

thanks

baleen
Common Wiggler

Post by baleen » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:45 pm

emergingstates wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:13 am
I have an original microgranny, and I think the Squid is in some ways a fair comparison (which obvious, multichannel, exceptions) - I have found Squid very easy to get into and make things happen. I'm doing a lot of real-time salmpling, looping and or cutting, stretching, scrubbing. squid doesn't have to be doing something complicated, and unless you want to be, say, looping a single sample longer than 11 seconds, Squid has basically everything a Microgranny does, across 8 channels, with treats.

emergingstates
Learning to Wiggle

Post by emergingstates » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:13 am

Cheers

baleen
Common Wiggler

Post by baleen » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:48 pm

np lmk if you have any Qs

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:42 am

Im pleased to announce a bew BETA release firmware - the main new feature is you can now switch between different sets of 99 banks on the same usb stick. These 'bank sets' are created by making a sub folder in the ALM022/ folder and naming it 'Set ABCD' where 'ABCD' is your Bank set name (max 8 characters). Within this folder new 'Bank X' named folders of wavs can go. The ALM022/ 'Bank X' named folders become the 'Default' Bank set... hope that makes sense!

You can then switch 'Bank Sets' by pressing the USB button on the 'SEL BANK' screen or by clicking the encoder when the 'SEL BANK'' screen displays the current bank set name (i.e before bank 01).

Here the Changelog excerpt with other tweaks.
VER 129 BETA (7/20)
==
 - Add support for 'Bank Sets' - multiple sets of Banks on same usb
        + Essenially name ALM022/ subfolders as 'Set ABCD' when 'ABCD' is your Bank Set name.
	+ Access via pressing USB button on bank selection screen. 
 - Add attenuversion control to CV inputs.
 - Fix potentially lock up when modulating chan 1 loop/end point.
 - Fix key press handling on special cue set options..

You can download here - https://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm022/129-BETA/

Full changelog is here; https://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm022/ChangeLog.txt

Please please please try and provide feedback if you encounter any problems. Its seems pretty solid but Id advise you back up your usb stick files before using just in case !

For some 'premade' bank sets please check http://squidbanks.com - Freely downloaded bank sets here can be used by renaming there containing ALM022/ directory to 'Set whatevs' and then dropping into your existing ALM022/ directory on your USB stick.

Finally the Squid Salmple manual got recently updated to include loads of nice patch examples - see https://busycircuits.com/docs/alm022-manual.pdf

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:42 am

ALM wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:42 am
- Add attenuversion control to CV inputs.
:love: :love: :love: :love:

The new bank sets implementation is super welcome too btw
Pity I didn't know about it yesterday I wouldn't have spent so long trying to make selections from the new banks you guys did :hit:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”