ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

fxxxxx
Learning to Wiggle

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by fxxxxx » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:00 pm

Nice update, bank sets will be incredibly useful for me

fxxxxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fxxxxx » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:09 am

First issue I've noticed. When you have more than five bank sets the screen doesn't follow the cursor, you just scroll off of the bottom but are still going through the available bank sets.

wavefold
sonic lad

Post by wavefold » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:02 am

Small feature request: it would be nice to implement some kind of sample preview when loading, I have many recorded loops/breaks banks and it's kind of difficult to remember which bank has the exact sample I need
Wavefold Racing Team

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/wavefold

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:08 am

wavefold wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:02 am
Small feature request: it would be nice to implement some kind of sample preview when loading, I have many recorded loops/breaks banks and it's kind of difficult to remember which bank has the exact sample I need
You can preview each channel in a bank, just go to load one channel and before you select the channel to load, you can press func + the encoder to preview it :goo:

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:22 am

fxxxxx wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:09 am
First issue I've noticed. When you have more than five bank sets the screen doesn't follow the cursor, you just scroll off of the bottom but are still going through the available bank sets.
:doh:

yellowecho
Wiggling with Experience

Post by yellowecho » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:24 am

Is there a way to trigger individual channels using the Channel Input?
It might be cool if a quantized sequence could trigger hits without the need for 8 cables.

Hek
Common Wiggler

Post by Hek » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:44 am

yellowecho wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:24 am
It might be cool if a quantized sequence could trigger hits without the need for 8 cables.
This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wavefold
sonic lad

Post by wavefold » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:33 am

ronnieb wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:08 am
wavefold wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:02 am
You can preview each channel in a bank, just go to load one channel and before you select the channel to load, you can press func + the encoder to preview it :goo:
:doh: how did I miss this in the manual? thanks lad
Wavefold Racing Team

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/wavefold

baleen
Common Wiggler

Post by baleen » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:57 pm

ah late check in but yep lets give it roll! thanks!

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:50 am

Fantastic update! Respek.

One thing I noticed while playing with the Squid the other night, pitch shifting ch1-5 seems to have a very slide glide whereas ch6-8 via v/Oct seemed tight. Is this correct?
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

baleen
Common Wiggler

Post by baleen » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:07 pm

OHEXOH wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:50 am

One thing I noticed while playing with the Squid the other night, pitch shifting ch1-5 seems to have a very slide glide whereas ch6-8 via v/Oct seemed tight. Is this correct?
check the Quant options for ch6-8 under Quality, if you pick NO you get a smooth sweep:
Quality - Quant (only present on chans 6,7 & 8)
This is a basic quantisation control for the playback speed. Possible settings are;
• 'NO' - No quantisation
• '12' - Quantisation to Chromatic 12 tones
• 'OT' - Full per octave quantisation - this is useful for easily matching original
sample speed with controls.

Michaalhell
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Michaalhell » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:53 pm

I’m having a hard time modulating sample end point. The graphics is showing the end point jumping way off the actual sample end. The results is almost always silence from the sample as well. Is this something anyone else has experienced?

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:15 pm

baleen wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:07 pm
OHEXOH wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:50 am

check the Quant options for ch6-8 under Quality, if you pick NO you get a smooth sweep:
Quality - Quant (only present on chans 6,7 & 8)
This is a basic quantisation control for the playback speed. Possible settings are;
• 'NO' - No quantisation
• '12' - Quantisation to Chromatic 12 tones
• 'OT' - Full per octave quantisation - this is useful for easily matching original
sample speed with controls.
Thanks for the reply and a good reminder there are quantize options for channels 6 - 8. But, that's not the issue I'm describing. I find that modulating the v/OCT on CH6 - 8 to be tight and responsive (as you would expect). However modulating Speed on CH 1 -5 ends up with sounds that glide into position - they don't sound like clean pitch shifts.

I'm not sure if this is intentional, a limit of the CV inputs, or CH 1 -5 or...? :hmm:
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

fxxxxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fxxxxx » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:03 am

Michaalhell wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:53 pm
I’m having a hard time modulating sample end point. The graphics is showing the end point jumping way off the actual sample end. The results is almost always silence from the sample as well. Is this something anyone else has experienced?
Do you have DC offset on your incoming CV?
OHEXOH wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:15 pm

Thanks for the reply and a good reminder there are quantize options for channels 6 - 8. But, that's not the issue I'm describing. I find that modulating the v/OCT on CH6 - 8 to be tight and responsive (as you would expect). However modulating Speed on CH 1 -5 ends up with sounds that glide into position - they don't sound like clean pitch shifts.

I'm not sure if this is intentional, a limit of the CV inputs, or CH 1 -5 or...? :hmm:
Yeah there is a definite glide on mapped CV, I presume the smoothing is intentional to stop harsh clicks or pops for the parameters that can cause that.

Owl.Qaeda
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Owl.Qaeda » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:44 pm

yellowecho wrote:
This would be amazing!!

boboter
Ultra Wiggler

Post by boboter » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:22 am

The recent updates to the Squid firmware have all been super useful. Thank you!

Should it be technically possible, my Nr. 1 wish would be for some sort of quantized tuning mode for channels 1-5. Similar to 6-8, just without 1v/oct, of course. The goal is just to easily change semitones or octaves on samples and have a wider pitch range. Maybe that is worth considering.
jogging house ... new album 'chants' out now.

adg672
Common Wiggler

Post by adg672 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:40 am

boboter wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:22 am
The recent updates to the Squid firmware have all been super useful. Thank you!

Should it be technically possible, my Nr. 1 wish would be for some sort of quantized tuning mode for channels 1-5. Similar to 6-8, just without 1v/oct, of course. The goal is just to easily change semitones or octaves on samples and have a wider pitch range. Maybe that is worth considering.
Second that, be a great feature!

adg672
Common Wiggler

Post by adg672 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:47 am

If it’s possible, a basic LP and HP per channel would be super useful

Eurocat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Eurocat » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:27 pm

This is probably obvious already but I made a bank with 15-20 drum hits per channel. This way you can scroll through each channel looking for different sounds per that bank. Sorry if this has already been discussed but I had great results with it yesterday and wanted to share.

depaffect
Common Wiggler

Post by depaffect » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:01 pm

I found a bug! What do I win?

When you send a channel out of another channel (ie, by holding the CHAN button and twisting the program knob) , the cue sets are still of the ORIGINAL channel.

So if channel 2 had 31 cues, and you sent it out of channel 6 which originally had 20 cues; it's cue list information is still coming from the original channel 6 - ie 20 cues. Which are all in the wrong spot of course.

For my bug spotting prize I would LOVE it if there was a parameter that specified the probability of a trigger being ignored!

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:43 am

depaffect wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:01 pm
I found a bug! What do I win?

When you send a channel out of another channel (ie, by holding the CHAN button and twisting the program knob) , the cue sets are still of the ORIGINAL channel.

So if channel 2 had 31 cues, and you sent it out of channel 6 which originally had 20 cues; it's cue list information is still coming from the original channel 6 - ie 20 cues. Which are all in the wrong spot of course.
Pretty sure this is expected behaviour. If you reference another channels data then thats all you actually reference, just the audio data - all parameters (including cues) stay the same.
depaffect wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:01 pm
For my bug spotting prize I would LOVE it if there was a parameter that specified the probability of a trigger being ignored!
This kind of behaviour is more suited to the sequencer end of things imho.

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:47 am

yellowecho wrote:
How do you mean ? The channel input can only register a trigger, not voltage levels.

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:23 am

ALM wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:47 am
yellowecho wrote:
How do you mean ? The channel input can only register a trigger, not voltage levels.
I think yellowecho was looking to have is a cv addressable switch (similar to how boss bow tie/two works) that would trigger a specific channel depending on the voltage. But seeing as the channel input only registers triggers, it could be cool if you could use it like a sequential switch?
Bonus points if it would be possible for it to only trigger channels which don't already have a trigger coming in? Or maybe if there was a way to assign each channel to a switch group?

I have to say, I always feel weird/bad asking for more features on the squid as it's already probably my single favorite module but damn it's hard to stop the mind wandering with these ideas ;)

yellowecho
Wiggling with Experience

Post by yellowecho » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:02 pm

ronnieb wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:23 am
ALM wrote:
yellowecho wrote:
I think yellowecho was looking to have is a cv addressable switch (similar to how boss bow tie/two works) that would trigger a specific channel depending on the voltage. But seeing as the channel input only registers triggers, it could be cool if you could use it like a sequential switch?
Bonus points if it would be possible for it to only trigger channels which don't already have a trigger coming in? Or maybe if there was a way to assign each channel to a switch group?

I have to say, I always feel weird/bad asking for more features on the squid as it's already probably my single favorite module but damn it's hard to stop the mind wandering with these ideas ;)
100% this is what I was thinking.. it could function similar to the Boss Bow Tie as a CV addressable switch. Plug a sequence into CV1, plug a trigger into Chan. input, assign CV1 to Chan.

I also feel rude/weird suggesting features.. I'm a nobody that's just a massive fan of ALM products; they're wonderful just as they are. :cloud:

fxxxxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fxxxxx » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:20 pm

yellowecho wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:02 pm
ronnieb wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:23 am
ALM wrote:
yellowecho wrote:

100% this is what I was thinking.. it could function similar to the Boss Bow Tie as a CV addressable switch. Plug a sequence into CV1, plug a trigger into Chan. input, assign CV1 to Chan.

I also feel rude/weird suggesting features.. I'm a nobody that's just a massive fan of ALM products; they're wonderful just as they are. :cloud:
If the length of all the samples you want to use comes to less than 11 seconds you can already sequence this way by loading them up as a single wav and using cue points. If it’s less then 22 seconds you could get away with one CV and two triggers etc.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”