ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

yellowecho
Wiggling with Experience

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by yellowecho » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:25 pm

fxxxxx wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:20 pm
If the length of all the samples you want to use comes to less than 11 seconds you can already sequence this way by loading them up as a single wav and using cue points. If it’s less then 22 seconds you could get away with one CV and two triggers etc.
That's a great point. I haven't used cue points this way very much but I'll try to play around with an Amen break this weekend :mrgreen:

fxxxxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fxxxxx » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:54 pm

yellowecho wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:25 pm
fxxxxx wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:20 pm
If the length of all the samples you want to use comes to less than 11 seconds you can already sequence this way by loading them up as a single wav and using cue points. If it’s less then 22 seconds you could get away with one CV and two triggers etc.
That's a great point. I haven't used cue points this way very much but I'll try to play around with an Amen break this weekend :mrgreen:
Yeah it’s incredibly powerful because really you don’t have 8 samples but however many you can fit in 88 seconds. I have a few banks with either 8 breaks or 8 drum kits, really useful for longer, evolving rhythm parts. It’s also really nice to have the same sample a few times on one channel recorded through different fx chains then modulate between them for variation.

depaffect
Common Wiggler

Post by depaffect » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:18 pm

ALM wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:43 am
depaffect wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:01 pm
I found a bug! What do I win?

When you send a channel out of another channel (ie, by holding the CHAN button and twisting the program knob) , the cue sets are still of the ORIGINAL channel.

So if channel 2 had 31 cues, and you sent it out of channel 6 which originally had 20 cues; it's cue list information is still coming from the original channel 6 - ie 20 cues. Which are all in the wrong spot of course.
Pretty sure this is expected behaviour. If you reference another channels data then thats all you actually reference, just the audio data - all parameters (including cues) stay the same.
Hmm I don't expect that kind of behaviour! I agree that I don't expect to reference the other channel's (other) parameters; since arguably all the other parameters are appropriate for any channel. But the cues themselves are *part of the WAV file itself* and appropriate only for the wave file they are in.

Basically as it is if you want to reference another channel that has a cue list; you end up playing things like a hihat with a second of since at the start of it!

yellowecho
Wiggling with Experience

Post by yellowecho » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:21 pm

fxxxxx wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:54 pm
Yeah it’s incredibly powerful because really you don’t have 8 samples but however many you can fit in 88 seconds. I have a few banks with either 8 breaks or 8 drum kits, really useful for longer, evolving rhythm parts. It’s also really nice to have the same sample a few times on one channel recorded through different fx chains then modulate between them for variation.
Great ideas- thanks for sharing!

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:31 am

depaffect wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:18 pm

Hmm I don't expect that kind of behaviour! I agree that I don't expect to reference the other channel's (other) parameters; since arguably all the other parameters are appropriate for any channel. But the cues themselves are *part of the WAV file itself* and appropriate only for the wave file they are in.
Sounds like you want to copy the channel rather than reference it.

depaffect
Common Wiggler

Post by depaffect » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:28 pm

Hmm that's a good question! I'm not sure! I guess I'd probably want the channel's CV assignments to stay as they are. I basically use it to quickly sub another sound in the current one's place. Which is what it already does - unless you have cuelists. Is there a reason why a user would not want the cue info to come across?

NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler

Post by NaiveMelody » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:29 am

dadRabbit wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:07 am
I just got mine yesterday and I'm loving it. Anybody have any custom sample banks they feel like uploading? I wanna make a Muslimgauze style bank of samples. I see myself having way too much fun with this thing! :guinness:
Did you do this? Am a HUGE Muslimgauze fan and sounds like a great use of Salmple!

dadRabbit
Common Wiggler

Post by dadRabbit » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:58 am

I did not but I had no problem coming up with MG styled breakbeats using the included banks.

NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler

Post by NaiveMelody » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:00 am

dadRabbit wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:58 am
I did not but I had no problem coming up with MG styled breakbeats using the included banks.
Great :yay: can't wait to give it a go.

Durdee
Common Wiggler

Post by Durdee » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:11 am

This thing keeps giving and giving. Last night I was dinking around with feeding the Squid super sped-up files and slowing them down in the quality menu to give me more sample time per channel... works like a charm with gross aliasing galore if you like that sort of thing. I’m currently experimenting with pre-eqing and working out exactly what the “speed” quality setting translates to in multiples/divisions of the original sample! Thanks y’all.

:yay:

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:26 am

Im pleased to announce another new BETA firmware release for the Squid. Firmware 135 further builds on the improved 'Bank set' usb handling in the previous release to now support loading of named per channel .wav files and 'freeform' sample browsing and loading from a new 'Pool/' directory on the USB.

In a nutshell, Squid now loads (and saves) samples for numbered bank sub directories (i.e 1/, 2/ etc) with any filename and having the first up to 8 chars of the filename displayed in the channel screen. It will fallback to the previous chanXXX.wav naming if a numbered subdir doesn't exist.

You can also now load single samples from a 'Pool/' directory on the USB on to a channel. You can fill this directory with wavs and sub dirs etc and then browse, preview and load direct from Squid.

Please read https://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm02 ... readme.txt which documents the new features.

The beta can be downloaded here; https://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm022/135-BETA/

Full ChangeLog here; https://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm022/ChangeLog.txt

Please please give it a spin and report back any issues - email is preferred.

:hyper:

plainjanefrancis
Common Wiggler

Post by plainjanefrancis » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:00 am

ALM wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:26 am
You can also now load single samples from a 'Pool/' directory on the USB on to a channel. You can fill this directory with wavs and sub dirs etc and then browse, preview and load direct from Squid.
So pumped for this! Thank you.

Eurocat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Eurocat » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:05 am

Oh this what I was going for. Thanks a million!

Durdee
Common Wiggler

Post by Durdee » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:34 am

Best firmware updates ever, every time.

teknobryan
Common Wiggler

Post by teknobryan » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:46 pm

Is there any reason why monitoring is only available out of output 8? For CV recording this makes it annoying if you want to record into anything other than 7 and 8 outputs, because you can't hear what you are playing. For Audio recording it's not as annoying because we can use the Mix out with is not DC coupled.

depaffect
Common Wiggler

Post by depaffect » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:21 pm

love this firmware update!!

it's awesome that the filenames are on the channel too

so damn handy

fxxxxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fxxxxx » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:06 am

Spent the last few days using the Squid as a sequencer and complex envelope generator and I’ve got to say I’d pay good money for an expander with extra CV inputs.

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Common Wiggler

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:18 am

fxxxxx wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:06 am
Spent the last few days using the Squid as a sequencer and complex envelope generator and I’ve got to say I’d pay good money for an expander with extra CV inputs.
Big same, but aimed towards a self-shifting granular tape splice machine

kingcons
Common Wiggler

Post by kingcons » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:37 am

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:18 am
fxxxxx wrote:
And it should be 7 or 9hp. Or maybe 4hp and then I can spend the other 5hp on the parametric EQ. wait, there's not really an expander in the works, is there? 😂

fxxxxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fxxxxx » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:27 pm

kingcons wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:37 am
fxxxxx wrote:
And it should be 7 or 9hp. Or maybe 4hp and then I can spend the other 5hp on the parametric EQ. wait, there's not really an expander in the works, is there? 😂
There’s and expansion connector on the back iirc

Durdee
Common Wiggler

Post by Durdee » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:43 pm

fxxxxx wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:27 pm
kingcons wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:37 am
fxxxxx wrote:
There’s and expansion connector on the back iirc

You recall correctly. I asked awhile back and apparently there’s a hardware limitation that prevents more individual audio outs so if/when they work on an expander it will likely involve deeper cv control. I think they’ve got lots of interesting irons in the fire but I’m with you 100%, I’ll take as much cv control as I can get!

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:41 pm

So many great updates for the Salmple - quite impressive.

I wonder if there might be any chance of some simple sample editing / processing tools.

Limiter - I find it to be a little too easy to clip audio when sampling (I find the red LED indicator not sensitive enough, I've sampled my Taiko with no red LED action to find it's still clipped the audio). A limiter to negate clipping would be really useful - or a more accurate LED indicator.

Normalizing - for the reason above I really turn down the level to make sure I am not clipping but then I end up with quite inconsistent sample volumes. The ability to normalize the samples to the optimum level would be super useful.

Trim - being able to detect silence (under a threshold perhaps?) and trimming away unwanted audio would really maximize the 11 second sample time and also speed up sample loading.

I love how the Salmple is becoming a classic like the often revered Akai samplers of old! Genius!!
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

yellowecho
Wiggling with Experience

Post by yellowecho » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:34 pm

Dumb question here.

How do I install the firmware? I put the .bin file in the top directory of the USB and nothing happened? What am I missing? :despair:

baleen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by baleen » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:46 pm

yellowecho wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:34 pm
Dumb question here.

How do I install the firmware? I put the .bin file in the top directory of the USB and nothing happened? What am I missing? :despair:
hold Func when powering on

yellowecho
Wiggling with Experience

Post by yellowecho » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:57 pm

baleen wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:46 pm
yellowecho wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:34 pm
Dumb question here.

hold Func when powering on
that was it :doh:
thanks!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”