ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by mckenic » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:09 pm

w0wzaa...

I really slept on this... and just reading thru the thread and watching the vids has made me realize I need a Squid!

Great work ALM!!!

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:23 am

I've made another BETA release with just a few tweaks;

VER 137 BETA (8/20)
==
 - Alphabetically sort Pool filename entries
 - Fix issue with channel name getting updated when chans swapped.
 - Fix tuning fork getting rendered over channel filename

Grab via https://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm022/137-BETA/

Please do give it a spin and provide feedback. Seems pretty solid thus far :hyper:

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:31 am

OHEXOH wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:41 pm
Limiter - I find it to be a little too easy to clip audio when sampling (I find the red LED indicator not sensitive enough, I've sampled my Taiko with no red LED action to find it's still clipped the audio). A limiter to negate clipping would be really useful - or a more accurate LED indicator.
I think this is maybe more an issue with the LED indication and it letting fast transients through without triggering the LED. Id like to fix that and hopefully it will be enough.
OHEXOH wrote:
Normalizing - for the reason above I really turn down the level to make sure I am not clipping but then I end up with quite inconsistent sample volumes. The ability to normalize the samples to the optimum level would be super useful.
Yep agree this would be cool. Normalise to -3db like included samples ?
OHEXOH wrote:
Trim - being able to detect silence (under a threshold perhaps?) and trimming away unwanted audio would really maximize the 11 second sample time and also speed up sample loading.
Autochop may do this in cues (or could be made to do this).

Beyond that maybe another recording mode which would automagically trim and normalise any new recording. 'Processed record' or some such.
OHEXOH wrote:
I love how the Salmple is becoming a classic like the often revered Akai samplers of old! Genius!!
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Durdee
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Durdee » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:06 pm

ALM wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:31 am
OHEXOH wrote:
Limiter - I find it to be a little too easy to clip audio when sampling (I find the red LED indicator not sensitive enough, I've sampled my Taiko with no red LED action to find it's still clipped the audio). A limiter to negate clipping would be really useful - or a more accurate LED indicator.
I think this is maybe more an issue with the LED indication and it letting fast transients through without triggering the LED. Id like to fix that and hopefully it will be enough.
OHEXOH wrote:
Normalizing - for the reason above I really turn down the level to make sure I am not clipping but then I end up with quite inconsistent sample volumes. The ability to normalize the samples to the optimum level would be super useful.
Yep agree this would be cool. Normalise to -3db like included samples ?
OHEXOH wrote:
Trim - being able to detect silence (under a threshold perhaps?) and trimming away unwanted audio would really maximize the 11 second sample time and also speed up sample loading.
Autochop may do this in cues (or could be made to do this).

Beyond that maybe another recording mode which would automagically trim and normalise any new recording. 'Processed record' or some such.
OHEXOH wrote:
I love how the Salmple is becoming a classic like the often revered Akai samplers of old! Genius!!
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
I typically monitor the output through AUM and keep the transients at around -12dB tops, which has helped greatly in getting good sample levels the first time.

Normalizing to -3 would be amazing.

Totally agree on Salmple becoming a new classic. It’s just so utterly usable!

JM Midnight
Common Wiggler

Post by JM Midnight » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:36 pm

Oh! This salmpler would pair great with the Future Sound Systems STUMM. Live, on-the-fly VCA output with clickless muting. It's six VCAs with two, three-unity mixers. Mute any channel or admixture thereof.

baleen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by baleen » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:53 am

+1 for -3db normalizing

Durdee
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Durdee » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:54 am

How about being able to record directly to the pool, and the ability to set a channel to choke more than one or all other channels?

depaffect
Common Wiggler

Post by depaffect » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:11 am

Durdee wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:54 am
How about being able to record directly to the pool, and the ability to set a channel to choke more than one or all other channels?
Agree on these!

Choke groups would be a handy way to do it

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:41 pm

Just playing with the Squid and sampling tones from Akemie's into channels 6, 7 & 8. What I love is the little tuning fork to let you know when you're at the original sampling pitch. Taking that further, it would be neat to display octaves up & down from the original pitch. This can help you to tune a sample for another purpose (eg: baseline). Visually that could be a simple set of markers along with the tuning fork. Or something ;)

Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

Durdee
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Durdee » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:22 pm

OHEXOH wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:41 pm
Just playing with the Squid and sampling tones from Akemie's into channels 6, 7 & 8. What I love is the little tuning fork to let you know when you're at the original sampling pitch. Taking that further, it would be neat to display octaves up & down from the original pitch. This can help you to tune a sample for another purpose (eg: baseline). Visually that could be a simple set of markers along with the tuning fork. Or something ;)

NICE

peachesandbacon
Common Wiggler

Post by peachesandbacon » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:09 am

Am super tempted to pick up a squid now that it does transient detection and drum loop chopping.

Has anyone played with this and had good results?

Tim Lairy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Tim Lairy » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:48 am

peachesandbacon wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:09 am
Am super tempted to pick up a squid now that it does transient detection and drum loop chopping.

In practice it’s not quite there yet unless theres zero crossings to detect i guess.. loops have to be pretty clean to work. Not had much luck with many oldschool breaks, tend to chop first in ableton and make sure theres some silence for it to detect.. just my personal experience

peachesandbacon
Common Wiggler

Post by peachesandbacon » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:39 am

Tim Lairy wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:48 am
peachesandbacon wrote:

In practice it’s not quite there yet unless theres zero crossings to detect i guess.. loops have to be pretty clean to work. Not had much luck with many oldschool breaks, tend to chop first in ableton and make sure theres some silence for it to detect.. just my personal experience
Thanks. That's a shame. Is this something that's on the cards to be fixed / updated?

Also, another question, are you able to control internal sample envelopes, from external CV / envelopes?

fxxxxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fxxxxx » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:23 am

peachesandbacon wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:39 am
Tim Lairy wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:48 am
peachesandbacon wrote:

Thanks. That's a shame. Is this something that's on the cards to be fixed / updated?

Also, another question, are you able to control internal sample envelopes, from external CV / envelopes?
I think it works as well as expected, noisy samples will be impossible to get right automatically. I make sure my noisy loops are easily divisible, use the split in to 8/16 etc and fine tune from there.

You can control the individual envelope parameters via cv.

shellfritsch
Common Wiggler

Post by shellfritsch » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:36 pm

Sometimes the auto slice function wont work at all for me... even with a clean recording that has a few drum hits with very defined attack transients. Would love some sort of lazy chop feature but i cant imagine how that would work UI wise..

peachesandbacon
Common Wiggler

Post by peachesandbacon » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:37 pm

shellfritsch wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:36 pm
Sometimes the auto slice function wont work at all for me... even with a clean recording that has a few drum hits with very defined attack transients. Would love some sort of lazy chop feature but i cant imagine how that would work UI wise..
Maybe there's a detection sensitivity setting that needs to be adjusted?

I'm picturing how simpler works in ableton when you put it into slice mode. There's a sensitivity setting that adjusts how many slices appear on the transients.

I'm basically looking for something in Eurorack that works as well as the slice function in Simpler. I was hoping the Squid was it.

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:58 am

peachesandbacon wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:37 pm
shellfritsch wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:36 pm
Maybe there's a detection sensitivity setting that needs to be adjusted?
Check a sample recorded with the Squid doesn't have DC offset on it. Its easy to check if you open up a recorded wav on a desktop audio editing app and visually check for the sample being shifted slightly vertically around the mid point.

If DC offset is present then its very likely that confusing the auto chop as this will mess with the zero crossing detection. You can use your audio editor to remove and then reload sample into Squid and see if it chops better. If it does, next try adjusting the S value on the Squid calibration screen (func+usb buttons) likely by around +/- 50. Then re-record and see if chop works better. Alternatively adjust S value following the calibration steps in manual.

If its not DC offset then it likely noise on the recording - again easy to spot this on audio editor.. to cause a problem noise will need to be clearly noticeable on silent parts of the wav.

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:04 pm

Would love a little more fine control with the attack parameter. Setting it to 1 seems to add quite a noticeable fade compared to 0 which is instant. I want to remove some of the click of the attack but 1 softens things to the point where it stops being percussive.

I'd also love it if turning the parameter knob CCW for Attack & Decay took you to 99 - like how Offset works in CV Control modulation menu.

Today I've been really getting into using single cycle waveforms as well as using the Squid as a way to generate envelopes in my super small Palette system. This module is so flexible!! 8-)
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:34 pm

I’ve got a very simple question hopefully… What is the shaft size of the knobs on ALM stuff (Squid, Mum M8, PE-1)? Was hoping to swap them to Rogans (like on Verbos modules) and I can’t seem to find the diameter listed anywhere.

orbita
Wiggling with Experience

Post by orbita » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:40 am

I recently got the Salmple too - Great little unit. One reason I wanted it was to use for sampling CV and playing it back but I haven't quite figured out a good workflow.

I'd like to be able to have CV going into the record and being able to toggle between constant loop record and playback. Anyone attempted to use it like this?

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:50 am

trickness wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:34 pm
I’ve got a very simple question hopefully… What is the shaft size of the knobs on ALM stuff (Squid, Mum M8, PE-1)? Was hoping to swap them to Rogans (like on Verbos modules) and I can’t seem to find the diameter listed anywhere.
Regular 6mm D shafts. Rogans on ALM tho :eek: :despair:

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:54 am

orbita wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:40 am
I recently got the Salmple too - Great little unit. One reason I wanted it was to use for sampling CV and playing it back but I haven't quite figured out a good workflow.

I'd like to be able to have CV going into the record and being able to toggle between constant loop record and playback. Anyone attempted to use it like this?
Check the delay patch setups in the squid deep dive videos;

you should be able to apply that kind of technique to CV rather than audio and play with looping etc.

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:15 am

We've released a new firmware 141 and made it a proper non beta release :hyper:

This release adds mainly bug fixes and tweaks over the last release + the manual has been updated.

From the ChangeLog;

VER 141 (8/20)
==
 - Various Pool and file handling tweaks. 
 - Improvements to autochopper - attempt to computationally remove any DC offset. 
 - Clip LED better catch fast transients.
 - Fix loading of wavs with more than 64 cue markers.
 - Fix preview of playback of pool stereo samples.

You can download the firmware from here; https://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm022/141/

The updated manual is here; https://busycircuits.com/docs/alm022-manual.pdf

wavefold
sonic lad

Post by wavefold » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:40 am

ALM wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:15 am
We've released a new firmware 141 and made it a proper non beta release :hyper:

This release adds mainly bug fixes and tweaks over the last release + the manual has been updated.

From the ChangeLog;

VER 141 (8/20)
==
 - Various Pool and file handling tweaks. 
 - Improvements to autochopper - attempt to computationally remove any DC offset. 
 - Clip LED better catch fast transients.
 - Fix loading of wavs with more than 64 cue markers.
 - Fix preview of playback of pool stereo samples.

You can download the firmware from here; https://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm022/141/

The updated manual is here; https://busycircuits.com/docs/alm022-manual.pdf
the new banks and samples management system is mega, thanks!
Wavefold Racing Team

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/wavefold

Jonny
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jonny » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:32 am

Any of you squid users come from using an Er-301 and have thoughts about differences between the two for audio?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”