ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

rew_
Wiggling with Experience

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by rew_ » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:38 pm

fastest and most feature-rich firmware development cycle I have ever seen in euro. bravo.

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Common Wiggler

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:32 am

Just so I'm understanding the pool thing correctly; I could have, say, 20 random samples in the pool folder, and as the Squid is being triggered swap out any of those 20 individual samples into any of the 8 channels? Will it do the thing it does (wonderfully) now where it keeps playing the old sample until the new one is finished loading?

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:53 am

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:32 am
Just so I'm understanding the pool thing correctly; I could have, say, 20 random samples in the pool folder, and as the Squid is being triggered swap out any of those 20 individual samples into any of the 8 channels? Will it do the thing it does (wonderfully) now where it keeps playing the old sample until the new one is finished loading?
Yes - see the last post on the ALM instagram (link in sig below).

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Common Wiggler

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:38 am

ALM wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:53 am
Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:32 am
Yes - see the last post on the ALM instagram (link in sig below).
So so so dope, this thing keeps getting better and better. Whenever an expander exists it'll be pure heaven!

orbita
Wiggling with Experience

Post by orbita » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:16 am

ALM wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:54 am
orbita wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:40 am
I recently got the Salmple too - Great little unit. One reason I wanted it was to use for sampling CV and playing it back but I haven't quite figured out a good workflow.

I'd like to be able to have CV going into the record and being able to toggle between constant loop record and playback. Anyone attempted to use it like this?
Check the delay patch setups in the squid deep dive videos;

you should be able to apply that kind of technique to CV rather than audio and play with looping etc.
Thanks Matthew, great videos!
Gonna try it out soon.

Noisepan
Common Wiggler

Post by Noisepan » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:32 pm

So can you essentially build 'banks' or 8 samples assigned to 8 tracks, and then change bank changing all 8 samples, but is there a way for this to include information like cv assignments and cue/loop/env settings?

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:37 am

Noisepan wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:32 pm
So can you essentially build 'banks' or 8 samples assigned to 8 tracks, and then change bank changing all 8 samples, but is there a way for this to include information like cv assignments and cue/loop/env settings?
Yes if you set up the bank with various parameter and cv settings and then save via Squid they'll get remembered then time you load in the bank. Squid adds specific metadata to wav files it saves.

Noisepan
Common Wiggler

Post by Noisepan » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:50 am

ALM wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:37 am
Noisepan wrote:
Yes if you set up the bank with various parameter and cv settings and then save via Squid they'll get remembered then time you load in the bank. Squid adds specific metadata to wav files it saves.
Just what I wanted to hear, perfect!

Michaalhell
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Michaalhell » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:34 am

Hi, I have some input regarding the Squid Salmple.

All in all it’s a wonderful module both on the inside and outside.

But.

Would it be possible to update the encoder so that it behaves more like the encoders on Elektron devices I.e push and turn encoder fast scrolls through parameters. I am almost getting karpal tunnel syndrome from twisting that encoder so much.

Is there anything that can be done about clipping? I feel like Samples clip in a really nasty way real easily. Someone was mentioning a limiter, would that be possible?

osten
Learning to Wiggle

Post by osten » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:43 pm

ALM wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:37 am
Noisepan wrote:
I was also curious, is it possible to switch kits in a quantized fashion? would be awesome to be able to trigger different kits depending on the step in a sequence

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:27 pm

Michaalhell wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:34 am
Would it be possible to update the encoder so that it behaves more like the encoders on Elektron devices I.e push and turn encoder fast scrolls through parameters. I am almost getting karpal tunnel syndrome from twisting that encoder so much.
Specifically where are you finding this happening ? Generally the param range quite limited as to avoid apart from the cues but you can zoom in/out to change that.

Something like this could potentially be added but your the first person to ask for it.
Michaalhell wrote:
Is there anything that can be done about clipping? I feel like Samples clip in a really nasty way real easily. Someone was mentioning a limiter, would that be possible?
Hmmm yeah - I've not had much luck with decent limiting. It may fix the clipping (which I tend to just avoid by watching levels and/or summing elsewhere via the dual outs) but also have a much wider overall effect on the sound in general (of which I like quite raw and unprocessed).

Durdee
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Durdee » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:42 pm

ALM wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:27 pm
Michaalhell wrote:
Specifically where are you finding this happening ? Generally the param range quite limited as to avoid apart from the cues but you can zoom in/out to change that.

Something like this could potentially be added but your the first person to ask for it.

This actually popped into my head a couple of days ago when I was scrubbing through at sample level and had to keep zooming in and out to find a particular zero crossing. It would make some things a bit easier in a couple of situations!

Luke2020

Post by Luke2020 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:56 pm

i bought one for cv recording purposes mostly, but it feels wasted rn... any tips for getting the most out of it, would ofc be cool.

:)

yellowecho
Wiggling with Experience

Post by yellowecho » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:01 pm

Luke2020 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:56 pm
i bought one for cv recording purposes mostly, but it feels wasted rn... any tips for getting the most out of it, would ofc be cool.

:)
Tip #1 - Use it for audio :razz:

Michaalhell
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Michaalhell » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:45 am

ALM wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:27 pm
Michaalhell wrote:

Michaalhell wrote:
Hmmm yeah - I've not had much luck with decent limiting. It may fix the clipping (which I tend to just avoid by watching levels and/or summing elsewhere via the dual outs) but also have a much wider overall effect on the sound in general (of which I like quite raw and unprocessed).
I think I’ve wanted this addition the most when scrubbing positive voltage to negative (+99 to -99) but I think it would be a great addition for ease of use.

On another note, I’ve been really enjoying mixing back my sequences into the sample input to create a feedback chain like your delay example on YouTube. Should I be worried about damaging the input? How much of a beating can it take?

NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NS4W » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:56 pm

Finally got around to use the sample function after enjoying the Squid as a deluxe wav player for such a long time!

The 'Extend 'mode is brilliant :sb:

I have found one small bug though - I first remove any cues on the channel using the RM ALL and then starts to record with a short trigger into REC. When I have filled the available time with one shot samples I check the Cue Sets and the first cue contains the whole sample, the second is silent and the rest of the cue markers are perfect. It's not a big deal to just delete Cue Set #1 and #2, but I thought I'd let you know. :party:

Nivenmusic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nivenmusic » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:14 am

Hi all, loving my Squid so far. I have a question regarding what is and isnt saved during power cycles. I had loaded a bank then replaced one channel with a sample from the pool. When powered back on this sample had reverted to the original sample from the bank. Is this usual behaviour?

Should cv assigns be saved between power cycles?

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:19 am

Nivenmusic wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:14 am
Hi all, loving my Squid so far. I have a question regarding what is and isnt saved during power cycles. I had loaded a bank then replaced one channel with a sample from the pool. When powered back on this sample had reverted to the original sample from the bank. Is this usual behaviour?

Should cv assigns be saved between power cycles?
To save cv assignments or any changes you make to a bank you need to save the bank itself. The squid only loads the last used bank so it will pull whatever has been saved on that bank. So any changes you make to a bank that you want to save between power cycles, save them as a new bank (so you don't overwrite the original, unless you want to)

Nivenmusic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nivenmusic » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:45 am

Ah thats a shame I was hoping it would be like Pamelas where there's no faff with having to think about what modules need saving when you power off and on the system but want to keep the patch.

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:48 am

Nivenmusic wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:45 am
Ah thats a shame I was hoping it would be like Pamelas where there's no faff with having to think about what modules need saving when you power off and on the system but want to keep the patch.
The problem with that would be that it would be too easy to overwrite banks or it would fill the USB with lots of garbage every time you power cycle it. It only takes a couple of seconds to save a bank so I reckon it's a decent compromise ;)

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:17 pm

Also keep in mind the CV assignments etc are more a property of the loaded wav files rather than the squid itself (which is different to Pam where everything is internal and 'owned' by Pam). Decoupling the two and as to be able to save just the settings between power cycles could lead to some really weird subtle but annoying (& confusing) issues. Plus it was never really designed this way so there could be technical issues too with current h/w.

I know it can be a bit annoying though :(

Luke2020

Post by Luke2020 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:42 pm

props to ALM, you seem nice.

mine is barely used (as yet)... can you set multiple loop points along a wav?

Nivenmusic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nivenmusic » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:21 am

ALM wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:17 pm
Also keep in mind the CV assignments etc are more a property of the loaded wav files rather than the squid itself (which is different to Pam where everything is internal and 'owned' by Pam). Decoupling the two and as to be able to save just the settings between power cycles could lead to some really weird subtle but annoying (& confusing) issues. Plus it was never really designed this way so there could be technical issues too with current h/w.

I know it can be a bit annoying though :(
Ah yes understood. Would it be possiblet to add a button shortcut that just saves whatever your currently working on to an extra bank (say bank 101) that way you could just hit a couple of buttons before you power down and everything would load up automatically when you restart the system. Would save you overwriting your normal banks with changes your only going to use for a single patch. Just a thought! :eek:

NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NS4W » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:15 am

Nivenmusic wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:21 am
that way you could just hit a couple of buttons before you power down and everything would load up automatically when you restart the system.
You just hit a couple buttons now already and it does what you want :razz:

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:01 pm

NS4W wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:15 am
Nivenmusic wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:21 am
that way you could just hit a couple of buttons before you power down and everything would load up automatically when you restart the system.
You just hit a couple buttons now already and it does what you want :razz:
Indeed! I just do like this and use bank 99 as a kind of scratch bank. All the 9x banks are empyt iirc for this kind of purpose.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”