ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by ALM » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:08 pm

Luke2020 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:42 pm
mine is barely used (as yet)... can you set multiple loop points along a wav?
You can set multiple 'cue sets' on sample which each contain there own start, loop and end points and then select the active cue by various means.

joskery
Veteran Wiggler

Post by joskery » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:10 pm

Now that it’s been out and seen updates -

I’m interested in the rapid sampling approach; how’s the Salmple to use in terms of just grabbing sounds quickly, while a sequence is playing, and layering stuff on top of a sequence using various channels?

Do you find the UI to get intuitive after learning it for a while?

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:42 am

Durdee wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:42 pm
ALM wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:27 pm
Michaalhell wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:34 am
Would it be possible to update the encoder so that it behaves more like the encoders on Elektron devices I.e push and turn encoder fast scrolls through parameters. I am almost getting karpal tunnel syndrome from twisting that encoder so much.
Specifically where are you finding this happening ? Generally the param range quite limited as to avoid apart from the cues but you can zoom in/out to change that.

Something like this could potentially be added but your the first person to ask for it.

This actually popped into my head a couple of days ago when I was scrubbing through at sample level and had to keep zooming in and out to find a particular zero crossing. It would make some things a bit easier in a couple of situations!
Or maybe a way of detecting rotation speed, faster rotation = larger increments, slower = smaller increments... :hmm:
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

osten
Learning to Wiggle

Post by osten » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:05 pm

I find the volume of playback of samples to be quite low. The stock samples, e.g. the kickdrum on the 606 DRM, is barely audible... Maybe its just my leveling, but I need to set the level of this track to 70 for it to be able to compete with other voices in my system, but then it starts clipping when other samples play... Any tips regarding this? Thanks

baleen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by baleen » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:10 am

joskery wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:10 pm
Now that it’s been out and seen updates -

I’m interested in the rapid sampling approach; how’s the Salmple to use in terms of just grabbing sounds quickly, while a sequence is playing, and layering stuff on top of a sequence using various channels?

Do you find the UI to get intuitive after learning it for a while?

I more or less do this and this is the use case for which I purchased The Squid. I generally find the UI intuitive for changing channels, recording, flipping settings or adjusting gain, and continuing on.

I have not (yet) used CV to automate channel selection and recording but that's my laziness more than anything.

benofbrown
Common Wiggler

Post by benofbrown » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:40 am

I've just made a short video using the Squid (as well as Pam's and some friends) to make Eno style ambient loops:

It was fun to make, though next time I use this technique I'll make the gates shorter to add a bit of space in between the notes, I kinda forgot about it when I set up the channel in Pam's I was using to modulate it.

crowleywaltz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by crowleywaltz » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:14 am

benofbrown wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:40 am
I've just made a short video using the Squid (as well as Pam's and some friends) to make Eno style ambient loops:

It was fun to make, though next time I use this technique I'll make the gates shorter to add a bit of space in between the notes, I kinda forgot about it when I set up the channel in Pam's I was using to modulate it.
well that sounds fantastic. Is there a reverb on the end of the chain as well or just Salmple and filter bank?

benofbrown
Common Wiggler

Post by benofbrown » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:34 am

crowleywaltz wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:14 am
well that sounds fantastic. Is there a reverb on the end of the chain as well or just Salmple and filter bank?
Thanks!

There's a tiny bit of reverb from Monsoon on the end. I've since dropped the speed down a bit more on the squid and it sounds even better.

finnurbjarna
Common Wiggler

Post by finnurbjarna » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:46 am

I'm really enjoying the Squid - what a brilliant module!

I have a couple of questions about the live audio sampling:

When I sample audio, I am getting artifacts even before shifting the pitch unless the quality is in quantised mode - is that normal?

Also, what is the relation between the V/oct knobs and the incoming recording? I find the recording has been shifted in pitch when I trigger a new recording before I've moved the knob, unless it's in the 'neutral' position, which seems to be around 11 o'clock.

rew_
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rew_ » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:19 pm

I'm having an issue:

When I've chosen a non-default bank set (e.g. Set USER in the directory) and attempt to "Load 1" into a channel, I'm unable to preview (func + encoder push) the sample. Func + encoder push does nothing: no audio or visual feedback. When I return to the default bank set, I can preview samples as expected.

All of the samples I'm trying to preview were recorded directly into the Squid, so bit depth / resolution is not the issue.

If I load one of the samples I'm unable to preview, everything works as expected: when I send the channel a trigger I hear the sample.

I'm on firmware 141 and re-flashed it last night just to be certain.

finnurbjarna
Common Wiggler

Post by finnurbjarna » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:14 am

rew_ wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:19 pm
I'm having an issue:

When I've chosen a non-default bank set (e.g. Set USER in the directory) and attempt to "Load 1" into a channel, I'm unable to preview (func + encoder push) the sample. Func + encoder push does nothing: no audio or visual feedback. When I return to the default bank set, I can preview samples as expected.
I had a similar issue where I I was also not in the original set and the preview stopped working, although I think I was trying to audition sounds I'd put in the Pool. I can't replicate it now, though.

On a slightly different note, it would be great if it were possible to choose what bank to "save all" to. That way you could mess about with some of the supplied samples and then just save everything to an empty bank. To get around it I've just duplicated the whole original set to avoid overwriting it.

elob
Learning to Wiggle

Post by elob » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:47 am

hi,
I don't understand one thing for my purpose: can you play a long sample, for example, 2 minutes without interruption?
thankkkkz

rosten
Common Wiggler

Post by rosten » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:55 am

Nope. 11 seconds max length per channel.
FS: Rene2, Access VirusB, Mutable Frames, Shades

NS4W
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by NS4W » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:57 am

elob wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:47 am
hi,
I don't understand one thing for my purpose: can you play a long sample, for example, 2 minutes without interruption?
thankkkkz
No, each sample can be 11 seconds long max. You can have 8 of them at the same time and with some modular trickery trigger them in sequence and get approx 1min 28 seconds total.

benofbrown
Common Wiggler

Post by benofbrown » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:28 pm

NS4W wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:57 am
No, each sample can be 11 seconds long max. You can have 8 of them at the same time and with some modular trickery trigger them in sequence and get approx 1min 28 seconds total.
You can get even longer by reducing the playback speed too, though that will only work for prerecorded samples and not stuff you're looping live I think.

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:17 am

finnurbjarna wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:46 am
When I sample audio, I am getting artifacts even before shifting the pitch unless the quality is in quantised mode - is that normal?

Also, what is the relation between the V/oct knobs and the incoming recording? I find the recording has been shifted in pitch when I trigger a new recording before I've moved the knob, unless it's in the 'neutral' position, which seems to be around 11 o'clock.
Both normal. Because of (deliberate) lo fi nature of pitching you'll potentially get some aliasing even if the pitch is very slightly off the original sample pitch - thus the quantised mode so you can easily get back to exact sampled pitch if you need to.

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:18 am

rew_ wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:19 pm
Sounds like a bug - will investigate and fix.

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:23 am

finnurbjarna wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:14 am
On a slightly different note, it would be great if it were possible to choose what bank to "save all" to. That way you could mess about with some of the supplied samples and then just save everything to an empty bank. To get around it I've just duplicated the whole original set to avoid overwriting it.
You've always been able to do this. Once you've loaded a bank and want to save elsewhere - press usb and then just select a different (i.e an empty one) bank and then select save.

finnurbjarna
Common Wiggler

Post by finnurbjarna » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:48 am

ALM wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:23 am

You've always been able to do this. Once you've loaded a bank and want to save elsewhere - press usb and then just select a different (i.e an empty one) bank and then select save.
Great - thanks!

wavefold
sonic lad

Post by wavefold » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:18 am

-
Last edited by wavefold on Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wavefold Racing Team

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/wavefold

Noisepan
Common Wiggler

Post by Noisepan » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:53 pm

Is it possible for each successive trigger to step through cue points without using the 3 mod inputs? So if I set up 2 cue points every trigger will alternate between the two starting locations? Perhaps this could be implemented within the playback modes?

Bigwerm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bigwerm » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:51 pm

Noisepan wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:53 pm
Is it possible for each successive trigger to step through cue points without using the 3 mod inputs? So if I set up 2 cue points every trigger will alternate between the two starting locations? Perhaps this could be implemented within the playback modes?
The Squid can do that.

Durdee
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Durdee » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:02 am

Noisepan wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:53 pm
In the “cue“ list for any channel, scroll down and you’ll see “random” and “step”. Clicking the encoder on “random” will play a random sample from your cue list each time the channel is triggered (although sometimes it seems not-so-random). Selecting “step” will move sequentially through each cue when triggered and then jump from the last to the first once it reaches the end of the list.

84Strikes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 84Strikes » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:14 am

Does anyone know if there are any specific settings that need to be applied to the USB itself?
It's freezing on me when I plug my brand new mini SanDisk USB (to replace the relatively chunky steel one that came with it)
Have named, formatted it correctly as far as I can tell from the manual.

As soon as I insert the disk it gets stuck on whatever the screen was displaying and the module becomes non responsive.

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:52 am

84Strikes wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:14 am
Does anyone know if there are any specific settings that need to be applied to the USB itself?
It's freezing on me when I plug my brand new mini SanDisk USB (to replace the relatively chunky steel one that came with it)
Have named, formatted it correctly as far as I can tell from the manual.

As soon as I insert the disk it gets stuck on whatever the screen was displaying and the module becomes non responsive.
What firmware are you running ? If not latest (141) I would advise you upgrade and then retry new stick.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”