ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Post Reply
User avatar
rew_
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 483
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:32 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by rew_ » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:41 pm

My reading of the manual is that I should be able to record parts of a continuous signal into different channels if I use the channel trigger/button to step through the active channels while record is active.

Has anyone been able to do this? Whether I'm using triggers or the button itself to change channels the entire recording is captured on the initial channel.

User avatar
Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Common Wiggler
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:52 pm
Location: Cincinnati

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:22 pm

Had a thought that would be really cool to have in an update if possible (unless this is doable already) - sort of an 'inverse cv' setting. for example, if cv1 is set to control the loop end location, 0v would correspond to the end being at the farthest point in the sample, and 5v being at the very start of the sample.

84Strikes
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:52 pm

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by 84Strikes » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:49 am

ALM wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:52 am
84Strikes wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:14 am
Does anyone know if there are any specific settings that need to be applied to the USB itself?
It's freezing on me when I plug my brand new mini SanDisk USB (to replace the relatively chunky steel one that came with it)
Have named, formatted it correctly as far as I can tell from the manual.

As soon as I insert the disk it gets stuck on whatever the screen was displaying and the module becomes non responsive.
What firmware are you running ? If not latest (141) I would advise you upgrade and then retry new stick.
I'm running the latest firmware.

User avatar
ALM
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 789
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:43 am

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by ALM » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:30 am

84Strikes wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:49 am
ALM wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:52 am

What firmware are you running ? If not latest (141) I would advise you upgrade and then retry new stick.
I'm running the latest firmware.
In which case the stick could be faulty or a fake. Try reformatting (fat32) or a different stick.

How big is the stick ? dont think I've tested anything past 32GB.

vraufen
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:13 pm

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by vraufen » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:20 pm

Hi, not sure if I was looking in the right place but from the manual I can't quite gather - can you sample while there are sounds being triggered? Im interested in resampling and hoping the salmple would be able to sample itself, even if not the same channel it is recording to

User avatar
baleen
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 1:55 pm
Location: sf ca

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by baleen » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:26 pm

vraufen wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:20 pm
Hi, not sure if I was looking in the right place but from the manual I can't quite gather - can you sample while there are sounds being triggered? Im interested in resampling and hoping the salmple would be able to sample itself, even if not the same channel it is recording to
absolutely (mult an out back in) and you can get delay/feedback this way too

vraufen
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:13 pm

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by vraufen » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:30 pm

baleen wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:26 pm
vraufen wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:20 pm
Hi, not sure if I was looking in the right place but from the manual I can't quite gather - can you sample while there are sounds being triggered? Im interested in resampling and hoping the salmple would be able to sample itself, even if not the same channel it is recording to
absolutely (mult an out back in) and you can get delay/feedback this way too
Wow duh I shouldve gathered that from the delay examples... :doh: Thanks ;)

User avatar
Happyanimal
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by Happyanimal » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:34 pm

ALM wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:30 am
84Strikes wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:49 am
ALM wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:52 am

What firmware are you running ? If not latest (141) I would advise you upgrade and then retry new stick.
I'm running the latest firmware.
In which case the stick could be faulty or a fake. Try reformatting (fat32) or a different stick.

How big is the stick ? dont think I've tested anything past 32GB.

Just got a squid today, updated to 125. Recorded a sample to ALM stick on channel 8 and it locked and froze, emitted high pitched whine. Had to power cycle the case.

I noticed there’s a new “beta” release- 141. Does new release resolve this?

Thanks.

User avatar
ALM
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 789
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:43 am

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by ALM » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:59 am

Happyanimal wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:34 pm

Just got a squid today, updated to 125. Recorded a sample to ALM stick on channel 8 and it locked and froze, emitted high pitched whine. Had to power cycle the case.

I noticed there’s a new “beta” release- 141. Does new release resolve this?
Yep it should do. There are a couple odd potential lock ups in 125 which are fixed in 141. Also note 141 isn't a beta but a proper release (see here).

User avatar
Happyanimal
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by Happyanimal » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:21 pm

Ah, your support > firmware > latest link still points to old version - v125.

Had to go in through “products” to get the latest.

User avatar
Happyanimal
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by Happyanimal » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:14 pm

Updated to 141- same freeze again while recording. Recorded to ALM provided stick on ch 8. Playing back sample adjusting pitch and whole unit locks up and emits a high pitched buzz. Any ideas?

User avatar
ALM
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 789
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:43 am

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by ALM » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:14 am

Happyanimal wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:14 pm
Updated to 141- same freeze again while recording. Recorded to ALM provided stick on ch 8. Playing back sample adjusting pitch and whole unit locks up and emits a high pitched buzz. Any ideas?
Can you email help <at> busycircuits with specific steps to reproduce the lock up and it'll get fixed asap.

(website fixed btw - sorry!)

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 311
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:51 pm
Location: London

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by StrangeAttraction » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:47 am

Can a S950-like Time-strech be added to the Salmple? The more hairy/old-school Akai-like the better! Or two modes: modern and vintage!
I think that would expand the creative possibilities of the sALMpler by miles.
I understand there's a hacky way to achieve this with the granular approach but it'd be great to have this as an easily accessible feature that doesn't eat up CV inputs.

ronnieb
Common Wiggler
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:07 pm

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by ronnieb » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:57 am

StrangeAttraction wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:47 am
Can a S950-like Time-strech be added to the Salmple?
+1, would be amazing if this was possible!

Ghost Logic
1-Post Wiggler
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:19 pm

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by Ghost Logic » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:28 pm

ALM, are there any plans to add the following features (which can of course be done on the computer but it would be really helpful to be able to do this tasks quickly on the Squid):
1) Basic sample editor with ability to (a) crop start and end point of sample (separate from cues), (b) adjust gain (separate from level adjustment in the context of a bank), including the ability to increase the level of the sample by a specified number of DB--this ends up working like a compressor as the gain on the sample is increased beyond full scale at the peaks, (c) remove DC offset.
2) Ability to manually set/adjust the root key of the sample (so that pitched sample playback is in the desired octave for a controller keyboard, sequencer etc.).

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”