ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

gigala
Learning to Wiggle

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by gigala » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:25 am

joskery wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:47 am
EDIT: yes, func-assign. We need to get a cheat sheet going.
This video shows all button combos:

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:34 am

joskery wrote:
We need to get a cheat sheet going.
Maybe it's because I work with quite a modest system so I don't have so much cramming for brain space but the squid is probably the deepest module I have that I never need to consult the manual. After a quick read, while waiting for it to arrive, I don't think I've looked at it since.
Tbf I use it a lot so muscle memory prob comes into but to give credit where credit is due, ALM has some of the best interfaces I've used.

joskery
Veteran Wiggler

Post by joskery » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:44 am

It’s me as much as the module - with so little time for music right now, remembering these things can be hard sometimes. Agreed that the interface is surprisingly effortless for the amount of functions!

Thanks for the video!

sierraoskar
Common Wiggler

Post by sierraoskar » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:48 am

joskery wrote:

I don’t know if it has everything you want but I have https://busycircuits.com/docs/alm022-manual.pdf#page23 printed out next to me to refer to occasionally and it’s a good summary :-)

yellowecho
Wiggling with Experience

Post by yellowecho » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:57 pm

THIS RULES!!! :headbang:

lyesmel
Common Wiggler

Post by lyesmel » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:04 pm

sierraoskar wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:48 am
joskery wrote:

I don’t know if it has everything you want but I have https://busycircuits.com/docs/alm022-manual.pdf#page23 printed out next to me to refer to occasionally and it’s a good summary :-)
Damn ! really need this in the 'Modes' app. Love that app so much but its in desperate need of some additions.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:03 am

“Heres a video of the filters in action

Please Enjoy”

Mic drop! :sb:
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

nios
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nios » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:52 am

X'thing the suggestion for an expander for this. I mean it's got a connector waiting for one in the back anyway; I suppose it's just a matter of time and I think this thing has already gotten crazy-awesome enough from updates alone. I always liked this thing a lot but it's almost getting to the point where it's like "I dare you to justify not having one now" with onboard filters.

I wouldn't think the expander needs to be something bulky and expensive, as the Salmple itself already does so much now; it really just needs more CV ins. However, I definitely wouldn't mind another v/oct knob or some more individual outs. Probably the efficient thing for space would be to have just 1-2 each of these and have them assignable with a button.

7C
Wiggling with Experience

Post by 7C » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:57 am

vraufen wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:53 pm
wonkychris wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:52 pm
vraufen wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:39 pm
Does anyone think we will get an expander for the squid? Namely looking for more CV inputs
Was literally just thinking the same. Hadn't looked at the board, but there is a header.

Can you make it 1hp please :-)
Jacks take up 2 hp minimum
3 hp ;) so it's an even number all together. more cv ins and maybe one midi in for live or travel setups would be fantastic!
soundcloud > https://tinyurl.com/y6jbowbh
--
nonetheless bandcamp > https://tinyurl.com/qrt5bjp
nonetheless soundcloud > https://tinyurl.com/yc98l8s5
--
racks > http://tinyurl.com/p4clpyp

vraufen
Common Wiggler

Post by vraufen » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:32 am

7C wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:57 am
vraufen wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:53 pm
wonkychris wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:52 pm
vraufen wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:39 pm
Does anyone think we will get an expander for the squid? Namely looking for more CV inputs
Was literally just thinking the same. Hadn't looked at the board, but there is a header.

Can you make it 1hp please :-)
Jacks take up 2 hp minimum
3 hp ;) so it's an even number all together. more cv ins and maybe one midi in for live or travel setups would be fantastic!
You have to consider that there are only 5 exp pins. If they are analog then we will be restricted to I think 4 inputs+gnd (im not sure how euro electronics work). If its digital then the expander will have its own processor and anything goes

yellowecho
Wiggling with Experience

Post by yellowecho » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:46 am

Here's a mockup I did for a PNW expander awhile back. Unfortunately Mr.ALM said it wasn't feasible bc of the pins on the PNW, but maybe the Squid could do something similar!

Cpaf
Common Wiggler

Post by Cpaf » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:31 pm

I really like the idea of a 3 hp expander! Many possibilities! I think I would like more dedicated buttons to go to the different functions. Two more assignable ins. Two more individual outs (like channel 6 and 8) and when plugged in would make the 5+6 out only output the 5 so on.

Another question: How are you all finding the button interactions. I don't own a Squid so haven't tried the work flow. But I have seen on videos how sometimes you have to hold the channel button up top while holding function AND scrolling the encoder. It seems like a not very nice interaction? It would make more sense to have the channel button close to the function so you could do button combos with the right hand and scroll the encoder with the left hand?

ultar
Common Wiggler

Post by ultar » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:42 pm

Is it to possible to enable / disable a loop by gate signal? Or is it possible to mute / un-mute a track via CV assignment rather than button combos?

For example: I want to enable a loop on channel 1 via a pad on Pressure Points so that channel is active only when gate is high. This could easily be patched through a vca but it would apply to channel 2 as well due to the Squid output groupings.

Track muting would definitely do the job but I'd like to be able to control it with an external device.

vraufen
Common Wiggler

Post by vraufen » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:35 pm

ultar wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:42 pm
Is it to possible to enable / disable a loop by gate signal? Or is it possible to mute / un-mute a track via CV assignment rather than button combos?

For example: I want to enable a loop on channel 1 via a pad on Pressure Points so that channel is active only when gate is high. This could easily be patched through a vca but it would apply to channel 2 as well due to the Squid output groupings.

Track muting would definitely do the job but I'd like to be able to control it with an external device.
There is a gated loop mode in which the loop plays for as long as the gate is high in the trigger input.

ultar
Common Wiggler

Post by ultar » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:33 pm

vraufen wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:35 pm
There is a gated loop mode in which the loop plays for as long as the gate is high in the trigger input.
Completely missed that in the manual. Thanks!

Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!
Common Wiggler

Post by Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:08 pm

would also love to say that a cv expander would be a game changer to this already game-changer of a module

induktor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by induktor » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:42 pm

Another vote for a CV expander. The ability to break out the individual channel outputs would be welcome as well but I imagine that it may not be technically possible in this case.

lyesmel
Common Wiggler

Post by lyesmel » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:13 pm

When using 'sample in', is it possible to 'auto' split the cues ? I'm trying to do so with a recording with some clear transients (some drum hits from plonk) but it does not seem to work so I have to split the cues manually.

gigala
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gigala » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:39 am

lyesmel wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:13 pm
When using 'sample in', is it possible to 'auto' split the cues ? I'm trying to do so with a recording with some clear transients (some drum hits from plonk) but it does not seem to work so I have to split the cues manually.
You can, as far as I know. Record your first drum hit and use the extend mode for the followings. This will add cuepoints for every new recorded drum hit.

lyesmel
Common Wiggler

Post by lyesmel » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:38 pm

gigala wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:39 am
lyesmel wrote:
You can, as far as I know. Record your first drum hit and use the extend mode for the followings. This will add cuepoints for every new recorded drum hit.
Thanks - doesn't seem to work for me unfortunately ! When I extend recording, it adds extra cues but when I hit 'auto' it clears them all.

Tim Lairy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Tim Lairy » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:35 pm

lyesmel wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:38 pm
gigala wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:39 am
lyesmel wrote:
Thanks - doesn't seem to work for me unfortunately ! When I extend recording, it adds extra cues but when I hit 'auto' it clears them all.
You shouldn’t have to hit auto at all if you created the cues you wanted in the previous step

ALM
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ALM » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:06 am

Just a quick heads up - There was a small snafu in 147 where filters weren't getting correctly applied from saved banks or on swapped channels. This is now fixed in a new 148 release - grab here; https://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm022/148/ :hyper:

pmarchitect
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmarchitect » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:53 pm

Thanks!

Am I right that even at zero resonance there’s some res built in?

Not sure if it’s my ears or not.

Edit: definitely sounds like a large resonant peak with Res at 0.

Makes it kind of impossible to do a normal low cut without big frequency boosts :( not to sound like an ungrateful knob, but can this be changed / worked around somehow?

Cpaf
Common Wiggler

Post by Cpaf » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:56 pm

To the squid owners: What's your general experience of using channels 6-8 for "oscillator duties" (see page 24 in the manual if you don't know what I'm talking about)?
What's your favorite samples to use and what kinds of resulting sounds do you like/use the most? Or maybe you don't use it like that at all - why not?

I am not thinking of e.g. playing a marimba tone sample and then have it v/oct. following - just so there's no confusion with that.

I really like the squid for several reasons but I am also for a portable rack and it is big for me to allocate that amount of HP to samples. But if the oscillator "trick" is nice with the squid - maybe you use the bit reduction and it gets magic, tell me? - it can cover (potentially even awesome) an extra duty!

greyscales
Common Wiggler

Post by greyscales » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:29 pm

You can always load up a single cycle waveform to loop and use that as a straightforward oscillator. There are plenty of samples for that purpose on the web. You'll hear a little aliasing as per usual but it just adds character.

With the new filter update it basically allows you to use channels 6-8 as full voices, just add envelopes (which could come from another channel of Squid).

What I've been doing recently is running channel 7 and 8 as a detuned unison pair. Sounds very good. You don't even need a buffered mult if you turn on quantization.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”