ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

perx
Learning to Wiggle

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by perx » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:21 pm

Speaking of single-cycle waveforms. When I have the gated loop mode on I get very loud popping sounds no matter my envelope settings.

edit: player around some more - managed to get rid of most of the pop
Last edited by perx on Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cpaf
Common Wiggler

Post by Cpaf » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:28 am

greyscales wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:29 pm
You can always load up a single cycle waveform to loop and use that as a straightforward oscillator. There are plenty of samples for that purpose on the web. You'll hear a little aliasing as per usual but it just adds character.

With the new filter update it basically allows you to use channels 6-8 as full voices, just add envelopes (which could come from another channel of Squid).

What I've been doing recently is running channel 7 and 8 as a detuned unison pair. Sounds very good. You don't even need a buffered mult if you turn on quantization.
Hmm I suppose the only way to really know if that aliasing is pleasing to me too, is to get one and try out. Do you mostly use such single cycle waves as stuffer for the oscillation? I myself find it interesting to do it by using regular recordings of nature/music/people whatever. But maybe it is a bit of a chore to find a pleasing part for oscillation without clicks and the likes? I am wondering if there wouldn't be a lot of clicks with the squid when using squid as an oscialltor - but maybe the Filter can remedy this?

But yeah the Filter addition is crazy - I love filters, they are like microscopes and unveil/focus potentials of a sound. But I can't have a rack of just filters, so the update is pretty much just amazing in giving that to 8 channels of samples... (still a little star struck)

I like your detuned unison idea! It is also pretty nice that you can use it for some serious triad output - I have been thinking of getting Harmoniag and man it would complement the squid nicely in that regard.

A bonkers feature would be to able to chain channel 6-8 as a triad coupling, send pitch to just channel 6 but get different triads that could be modulated by an assignable CV in. I guess it is similar to what Saich can. Cause everybody don't have a harmoniag.

greyscales
Common Wiggler

Post by greyscales » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:32 am

Personally I don't mess with any ol' sample for oscillators. Not because it sounds bad or anything, I'm just lazy and don't enjoy scrolling through waveforms looking for the right part and trimming.
In my experience you can use the gated looping mode with some attack/decay and there are not clicks. But it does depend on the sample and loop points.

gigala
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gigala » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:13 am

[/quote]
Hmm I suppose the only way to really know if that aliasing is pleasing to me too, is to get one and try out. Do you mostly use such single cycle waves as stuffer for the oscillation? I myself find it interesting to do it by using regular recordings of nature/music/people whatever. But maybe it is a bit of a chore to find a pleasing part for oscillation without clicks and the likes? I am wondering if there wouldn't be a lot of clicks with the squid when using squid as an oscialltor - but maybe the Filter can remedy this?
[/quote]

I think with ambient type of loops you won‘t have problems with pops as long as the sample doesn‘t has to much low end content.
Maybe this video is helpfull. Seems pretty easy to load waveforms of your choice and let it cycle wirhout poping the crossovers.

Cpaf
Common Wiggler

Post by Cpaf » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:37 am

gigala wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:13 am
[/quote]

I think with ambient type of loops you won‘t have problems with pops as long as the sample doesn‘t has to much low end content.
Maybe this video is helpfull. Seems pretty easy to load waveforms of your choice and let it cycle wirhout poping the crossovers.

[/quote]
Nice video had missed that one! That is pretty straight up workflow with ready made waves. Still wondering 'bout using regular samples - but as greyscales mentions above, I might also be too lazy for that if it is too much of a hazzle, just thought it a really interesting workflow with the squid as a "super" sampler if it easily would let me do that too! :)

Cpaf
Common Wiggler

Post by Cpaf » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:26 pm

One more question: You can record a CV modulation, and trigger it to repeat at a steady clock - thereby essentially looping it. But you could also use the inbuilt looping mode right? What about then change the recording destination to the next channel, record modulation, and then have it loop in sync to the first channel too. Can you stop both channels simultaneously - and then trigger them again simultaneously from a single trigger?

Is this - record and sync (start stop) multiple CV modulations from a single trigger - plausible at all with the squid?

lowflung
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lowflung » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:42 pm

Hey Wigglers

I want to use Channels 6,7 and 8 on a Squid Salmple to play back samples at their original tempo (Essentially muting the V/Oct knobs)

Does anyone know if this is possible? Have tried searching around but can't find anything

Cheers
Low Flung

JuliusRe
Common Wiggler

Post by JuliusRe » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:38 am

lowflung wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:42 pm
Hey Wigglers

I want to use Channels 6,7 and 8 on a Squid Salmple to play back samples at their original tempo (Essentially muting the V/Oct knobs)

Does anyone know if this is possible? Have tried searching around but can't find anything

Cheers
Low Flung
Wouldn´t you achieve that by simply having the knob in center position and nothing put into the v/oct input? :hmm:

Cpaf
Common Wiggler

Post by Cpaf » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:09 am

lowflung wrote:
Hey Wigglers

Cheers
Low Flung
When you tune it it will show a tuning fork when the original tempo of the sample is reached

autopilote
Learning to Wiggle

Post by autopilote » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:40 am

Theres no way we can record audio and dump that straight into the pool (rather than just the active channel in the current bank), correct? im recording loops off old tapes and it would be much easier to make a large batch quickly if i dont have to make new banks constantly to accommodate them.

i suppose i can make 99 new empty banks and record into those and move the samples over to the pool later. unless im missing a shortcut of some sort here

baleen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by baleen » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:51 pm

lowflung wrote:
Hey Wigglers

Cheers
Low Flung
Id set quantization to “OT” (octave transposition) and then your “center” (original) setting will be more generous

Tim Lairy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Tim Lairy » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:19 am

Hi all,
Wondering what people are using to batch convert files to 16bit for use on the squid?
So far i've found doing small runs of conversion a bit laborious..
bonus points for options that add markers too but mainly just converting tons of samples to drop

mosorensen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mosorensen » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:23 am

Tim Lairy wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:19 am
Hi all,
Wondering what people are using to batch convert files to 16bit for use on the squid?
bonus points for options that add markers too but mainly just converting tons of samples to drop
I don't have the squid, but I use Fission by Rogue Amoeba for all my batch conversions of audio files. It has a "batch conversion" mode that has worked perfectly for me. It has a free trial, so you can check it out.

lyesmel
Common Wiggler

Post by lyesmel » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:05 pm

mosorensen wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:23 am
Tim Lairy wrote:
Hi all,
I don't have the squid, but I use Fission by Rogue Amoeba for all my batch conversions of audio files. It has a "batch conversion" mode that has worked perfectly for me. It has a free trial, so you can check it out.
Nice - great tip that I didn't know I needed. Rogue Amoeba make great stuff too - audio hijack is very useful for resampling within your system.

Cfcarter
Common Wiggler

Post by Cfcarter » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:26 pm

Got my squid and it sure is a wonderful module. But, wouldnt it be convinient, when loading samples from the pool that it stays in the same directory in the file browser if you load one sample then decide to change it? It keeps going back to the root of the USB which for me is a bit of a hassle..

johane
Learning to Wiggle

Post by johane » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:14 pm

Tim Lairy wrote:
Hi all,
Twisted Wave batch functions. Added bonus is the you can prep files for both the Morphagene and Squid really easily.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.instagram.com/nom_night_on_mars/
https://linktr.ee/nightonmars

depaffect
Common Wiggler

Post by depaffect » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:21 pm

I feel like I must recommend Reaper for this too

Great for adding cue markers to WAV files

And it's just an awesome DAW - for only $60 - crazy

40watt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 40watt » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:05 pm

I've found doing it in Reaper wasn't much of inconvenience.
Listen to F is for Finality by derelict electric on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/PuzFi
https://derelictelectric.bandcamp.com/releases

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:47 am

Finally checking out this module - I’ve always wanted to include more vocal samples in my jamming. Would this be perfect for manipulating vocals in live setting? Maybe pair it with a filter and delay?

And does it constantly sample audio, so it could help catch those fun accidents and use for instant playback?

gigala
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gigala » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:17 am

You can manipulate audio by bit-/ samplerate-/ temporeducing or even play [vocal]samples with 1v/oct on three of squids channels. With cues (start- end- looppoints) within the samples and cv over postion there is a lot more to explore.
Last firmware update includes 4 filtertypes+resonance control.

And no, it does not constantly sample audio. Max sample length is 11seconds.
You could monitor audio constantly through the squid and create effects with this.

Tim Lairy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Tim Lairy » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:28 pm

depaffect wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:21 pm
I feel like I must recommend Reaper for this too

Great for adding cue markers to WAV files

And it's just an awesome DAW - for only $60 - crazy
Thanks, having checked out the demo this seems like the one, plus obviously highly useful software all round

JuliusRe
Common Wiggler

Post by JuliusRe » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:10 am

Hey guys,

i finally ordered a Squid Salmple and am totally hyped :party:

I was wondering - can anybody confirm, that i can use the CV inputs to create accents by routing an additional trigger sqeuence to the amp level inside the squid? (and attenuate it, of course)

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:05 am

JuliusRe wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:10 am
Hey guys,

i finally ordered a Squid Salmple and am totally hyped :party:

I was wondering - can anybody confirm, that i can use the CV inputs to create accents by routing an additional trigger sqeuence to the amp level inside the squid? (and attenuate it, of course)

You would need to use a gate or stepped cv if you want to control the level of sample, a trigger would just cause spikes in volume.
The level is simply just a vca.

JuliusRe
Common Wiggler

Post by JuliusRe » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:31 am

ronnieb wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:05 am

You would need to use a gate or stepped cv if you want to control the level of sample, a trigger would just cause spikes in volume.
The level is simply just a vca.
But with a gate sequence it should work?

optiprime8
Learning to Wiggle

Post by optiprime8 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:55 am

But with a gate sequence it should work?
Yes, this will work and Squid has built-in offset and attenuation for external CV.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”