ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Re: ALM Squid Salmple - 8 channel CV and audio sampler

Post by Electro Something » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:03 pm

Is the Squid Salmple the most hands-on, performance-based sampler out there? I kinda wanna do 90s house and eurodance with lots of choppy vocals. I would think the Salmple’ spots are better for this than something with a screen and menus?

If not the Salmple, then what other samplers should I be looking at? Other than recording samples, what does the Squid do be better than the Rampler?

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:26 pm

ronnieb wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:05 am
JuliusRe wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:10 am
Hey guys,

i finally ordered a Squid Salmple and am totally hyped :party:

I was wondering - can anybody confirm, that i can use the CV inputs to create accents by routing an additional trigger sqeuence to the amp level inside the squid? (and attenuate it, of course)

You would need to use a gate or stepped cv if you want to control the level of sample, a trigger would just cause spikes in volume.
The level is simply just a vca.
If you don’t have a trigger to gate converter, you could use a channel of the Squid to trigger a CV sample (could be a DC offset or an Envelope or anything really) and then feed that into the CV input. You lose a channel but it would give you control over the CV sample itself (ie: if it was an envelope you could speed it up/down, loop it, bitcrush it etc.)
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

Underwood
Common Wiggler

Post by Underwood » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:34 pm

Electro Something wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:03 pm
Is the Squid Salmple the most hands-on, performance-based sampler out there? I kinda wanna do 90s house and eurodance with lots of choppy vocals. I would think the Salmple’ spots are better for this than something with a screen and menus?

If not the Salmple, then what other samplers should I be looking at? Other than recording samples, what does the Squid do be better than the Rampler?
To answer your 1st question: I'd say yes. Before i bought the salmple i tried the Erica synth sample drum, which was actually pretty nice and intuitive but only had two outs which just wasn't enough for me. Then i tried the bitbox micro, which can do pretty much anything you'd expect from a sampler but there's just so much menu diving and i never really enjoyed working with it.

baleen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by baleen » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:51 pm

Electro Something wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:03 pm

tbh you could probably build entire 90s house tracks out of a handful of thoughtful cue sets

WarpHead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by WarpHead » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:11 pm

Can confirm. :hihi:
Don't believe the hype.

WTB: Schippmann Omega-Phi Mk2.

Cfcarter
Common Wiggler

Post by Cfcarter » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:50 am

Cheers! Lovely module, exactly as expected! :)

One thing i've noticed: When using cue sets and selecting samples via CV i find it to be a bit "unstable"? Am i doing something wrong..? For example sending CV from a sequencer to select different sets, it "jumps" a bit, ie selecting different cue sets, not randomly but not as precise as i was expecting it to do. I've tried attenuate both internally and externally but i'm still having some issues.

fxxxxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fxxxxx » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:11 am

Cfcarter wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:50 am

One thing i've noticed: When using cue sets and selecting samples via CV i find it to be a bit "unstable"? Am i doing something wrong..? For example sending CV from a sequencer to select different sets, it "jumps" a bit, ie selecting different cue sets, not randomly but not as precise as i was expecting it to do. I've tried attenuate both internally and externally but i'm still having some issues.
Is it consistently the same cues? Does the sequencer have a slight slew or have you got some extra DC offset sneaking in?

Cfcarter
Common Wiggler

Post by Cfcarter » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:05 am

fxxxxx wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:11 am
Cfcarter wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:50 am

Is it consistently the same cues? Does the sequencer have a slight slew or have you got some extra DC offset sneaking in?
I havent done the most in depth research yet, but no, it doesnt seem to be the same cues. The extra DC offset might be an issue, as well as the slew. I do belive the seq i'm using does have some slew... But i did try it with a triangle wave from PNW and i did get the same issue. That signal was passed right from Pamela to Squid, and still the cues were "jumping" a bit up and down..

I did read the entire thread and i suppose it is the trigger/cv latency issue. Will try some trigger delay tomorrow and see if that helps!

c0rpse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0rpse » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:07 pm

I have two feature ideas I haven't seen in the thread yet.

1. Channel 5 v/oct follows Channel 6. - I've seen the suggestion for re-assigning the pitch knobs, but I think that's overkill. One setting to make 5 and 6 controlled by 6's v/oct would be enough for me.

2. Address cue set with v/oct for multisamples - A setting for changing sample rate and switching cue set per octave, and a setting for disabling sample rate and switching cue set per note.

I understand these suggestions may not be possible or logical because settings are stored with the sample. ie What does a "multisample" do when you load it into tracks 1-5? Keeping the meta data homogenous across all tracks is probably important.
VINO MALO streaming every Friday at 8pm Mountain | Designer and Software Developer for WMD

jr_n_0
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jr_n_0 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:41 pm

Is there a way to set a specific bank to load when you power on? Everything I've read suggests that it should load the last bank in use, but mine always powers on to bank 85. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

depaffect
Common Wiggler

Post by depaffect » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:26 am

I think it's the last bank you save, rather than load. I find this a bit annoying

c0rpse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0rpse » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:14 pm

Would anyone care to share any tricks for bank switching during a live performance? I will probably end up using cue sets, but converting my banks to cue sets seems pretty tedious. Resampling everything with it's filter and envelope settings...

My channel assignments are:
1&2 : open hat(choked by closed), closed hat
3&4 : clap and misc perc
5&6 : kick and bass
7&8 : Not used yet but planned for oscillators.

The most important part is that the kick and bass are always matched. The other parts can be a bit more loose.
In my performance last week, I relied on muting and fx while I loaded whole banks. It worked fine, but it definitely wasn't the cleanest sound. Some of the samples glitch out as they switch over.

Doing Load1 for every track during a performance seems tough. Using the pool might be a bit more manageable. I've thought about maybe making my hats and percs into loops that are manually loaded, with cue sets for kick and bass. Anyone using a workflow like this?

I'd be willing to give up half my sample time on each track for a buffered load feature. Load1 Extend, or Load Extend could be a work around.

Also another suggestion I haven't seen in the thread. I was thinking one more filter type, anti-alias, would be useful. The low pass filter works ok for this, but not ideal.
VINO MALO streaming every Friday at 8pm Mountain | Designer and Software Developer for WMD

TheMantle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TheMantle » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:10 am

I"ve been using the Salmple intensively lately and realized that I probably didn't need to buy a bigger rack as this cute lil module handles so many of my voices already lol.

Heres a little loop with the Salmple as the only sound source, all triggered by a Vector Sequencer.

Theres a tiny little bit of weirdness with my unit though, maybe some of you can help me out:
When starting the Salmpler sometimes the filters of some channels glitch out and make the sound almost inaudible until I sweep the filter a little. Is there a fix for that? Also, is there a way to load in a sample without loading in its other data, so that only the sound changes but all filter settings etc stay the same? Oh and is there a secret button combo for making the module twice the size? Id love to have an ultra playable Salmple XL lol.

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:18 pm

My Salmple arrived today.
Great fun so far!

One gripe though; is it normal that the unit doesn't recognise the usb stick when powered on? Only when taken out and in again while powered?

1n
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 1n » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:38 am

This question doesn't sound dumb to me...

Since triggers/gates are required per channel, or no sound comes out, why doesn't a module like the Squid - or indeed any sample player - have its own clock per channel/all channels? And/or assignable gates? Maybe like Metropolis/x or M-185?

Too big? Too expensive? Too much CPU? I get that this is modular... and I can find triggers somewhere ;)

Mule
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mule » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:54 am

I think the idea of the salmple was base off 80s type samplers of the day. But as far as triggers I have been using landscape all flesh https://www.landscape.fm/allflesh/ for the triggers and put the salmple and a small vca in a 4ms 26hp pod and it is a ton of fun to play it as an instrument with several voices at your finger tips. Combine that with an iPhone for recording and online sound sources, you end up with a portable mini experimental sound studio.

baleen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by baleen » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:06 am

you can also set all channels to loop and scan the start/end/loop points and then you need no triggers at all.

1n
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 1n » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:07 am

Mule wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:54 am
I think the idea of the salmple was base off 80s type samplers of the day. But as far as triggers I have been using landscape all flesh https://www.landscape.fm/allflesh/ for the triggers and put the salmple and a small vca in a 4ms 26hp pod and it is a ton of fun to play it as an instrument with several voices at your finger tips. Combine that with an iPhone for recording and online sound sources, you end up with a portable mini experimental sound studio.
All-Flesh - of course!

I ruined a bag of those through insufficient cleaning and poor soldering a couple of years ago :party:

1n
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 1n » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:08 am

baleen wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:06 am
you can also set all channels to loop and scan the start/end/loop points and then you need no triggers at all.
Thanks!

Next step - read the excellent manual...

baleen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by baleen » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:20 am

something less loop intensive is chaining the channels via the internal "env out" routing, you can manually start one channel and then they'll all bounce through each other, splice it up, randomize/step cue set selection on each channel -> big cut up zones.

c0rpse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0rpse » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:02 am

After a few more weeks performing I've realized the only way to switch sounds in a live context is with the cue sets.

-Load1 causes non loaded tracks to glitch out during load. IE Not respond to v/oct and make crackling sounds.
-Load will cause some crackling and pops even if no gates are being sent to the unit.

I never had an s1000 or any rack sampler, so I'm not sure if the load/save behavior is supposed to be part of the vibe. (Save basically makes the unit inoperable during the save and takes a while to complete.)

25 pages, and I don't really see anyone else bothered by it, am I outside of the expected use case?

I love the UI, physical layout, and the resample workflow. I'm having tons of fun coming up with great sounding samples, but as I dig in I'm pressing up against the weird lofi glitchiness, and not loving it. (quantization noise using CV over LEVEL, inescapable aliasing, clicks when sounds and envelopes retrigger, clipping induced by changing the filter cutoff when res is 0) Is this what comes with the territory of a rack sampler? I'm really not even clear on what parts of the Squid are supposed to be a recreation.

I really love this thing. It's quick workflow and patching limitations suit me well. I'm sure I can live with the unit in it's current state, but I would love to hear that there are plans for changes.

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:30 am

Can somebody confirm it doesn't recognise the thumb drive when powering on while being plugged in? Seems such a weird behaviour to me. So I know the unit is ok or not, I just got it.

@c0rpse I think ALM mainly wanted to take the simplicity of early rack samplers, combined with their somewhat gritty sound.
I even think it could have been more simple, with my first rack samplers I had to set cue points by ear, and actually that works best.
All the glitchyness is surely not part of the early rack sampler vibe... Clicks usually come from setting cue points at non-zero-crossings. I don't think you can make cue point selection snap to zero crossings?

I must say that for loops, the speed setting doesn't have enough resolution. Which is very weird... i.e. very UNlike early rack samplers. Our an I missing something? If some of you guys are doing early house, you can't do without synced loops, I imagine?

TheMantle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TheMantle » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:56 am

Dob wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:30 am
Can somebody confirm it doesn't recognise the thumb drive when powering on while being plugged in? Seems such a weird behaviour to me. So I know the unit is ok or not, I just got it.
Is the screen just staying black or does it show a specific message when you boot up your system? Mine has weirdly not booted up twice now recently, but I never got a "USB not recognized" message, usually it loads just fine.

Cfcarter
Common Wiggler

Post by Cfcarter » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:57 am

Squid was one of the modules that really draw me back to eurorack. I had it for a few months now and it does what it says, but some of the quirks are a bit annoying. For me it's more if I really want a sampler in my rack, the classic "you plan your rack in MG but after a few months everything that was there in the plan is out" sort of thing. As a pure/simple drum sampler I think it's totally awesome, but sometimes I feel like it doesn't really play well with the rest of my rack. But I will definitely give it some more time. It's a nice piece of gear!

optiprime8
Learning to Wiggle

Post by optiprime8 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:22 pm

Dob wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:30 am
This is a problem with the usb drive, not the unit. Mine started to do this, and eventually the drive was not recognised at all by the Squid or my computer. Alm were very quick to send me a new drive, but I’m now using a SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive and all works well.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”