Any Fake Chord Effect Module around???

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

mentalskragma
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mentalskragma » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:22 am

JohnLRice wrote:mentalskragma, would a pedal instead of a module work for you? Check out the Meris Hedra and if you get the MIDI interface box you can even control the pitch intervals from a keyboard and play changing chords etc.
https://www.meris.us/product/hedra-pedal/
I thought this was pretty cool, a single pitch from a mic'd wine glass harmonized:
[video][/video]
Great one... Yes this would work.... But it's amazing that these FX aren't made on Eurorack modules yet...

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:34 am

Modular is not well-suited for harmonically-based music. Controlling voicing and voice-leading is difficult and expensive. Modular excels at rhythm, melody, and texture—not harmony. I would recommend a keyboard instrument.

The bigger question is: Why do you need chords at all?
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

void23
Wiggling with Experience

Post by void23 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:16 pm

electricanada wrote:Modular is not well-suited for harmonically-based music. Controlling voicing and voice-leading is difficult and expensive. Modular excels at rhythm, melody, and texture—not harmony. I would recommend a keyboard instrument.

The bigger question is: Why do you need chords at all?
Says who?!?

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:41 pm

void23 wrote:
electricanada wrote:Modular is not well-suited for harmonically-based music. Controlling voicing and voice-leading is difficult and expensive. Modular excels at rhythm, melody, and texture—not harmony. I would recommend a keyboard instrument.
Says who?!?
Says I! I've spent decades working with harmony and voice-leading. Modular simply does not offer the ease of control that a guitar or keyboard does. One needs to go to great expense and trouble to get a modular to pull off things that would be trivial to accomplish on an instrument better suited for harmony.

But I'm more interested in what kind of harmony OP wants to do in modular, and why he wants to do it in modular. We can give him better advice if we know what his goals are.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:43 pm

mentalskragma wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:mentalskragma, would a pedal instead of a module work for you? Check out the Meris Hedra and if you get the MIDI interface box you can even control the pitch intervals from a keyboard and play changing chords etc.
https://www.meris.us/product/hedra-pedal/
I thought this was pretty cool, a single pitch from a mic'd wine glass harmonized:
[video][/video]
Great one... Yes this would work.... But it's amazing that these FX aren't made on Eurorack modules yet...
I'd love that box in Euro with cv control. Someone make it happen, please!

Sonnenberg
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Any Fake Chord Effect Module around???

Post by Sonnenberg » Mon May 18, 2020 9:52 am

Nothing beats the Patch Chord. I have 2 of them and recommend that you just look for a used one. If it doesn't have the latest firmware, there are ways to reach Erthenvar and get the last version from him.

The morphing from a PWM signal into a triangle to saw, and the strange way it approaches a "hard sync" function is worth it. I find the harmonic series mode way more useful than the chromatic mode.

The Patch chord through an automated console such as the Roland CPE-800/VCA-800 is just superb. I have more information on my site here:
http://artoftravelogue.blogspot.com/201 ... chord.html

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Fri May 22, 2020 3:05 pm

Intellijel Rainmaker will do it. A tad overkillish, perhaps, but still. :goo:
My first modular track where I used drum modules! There's also a ton of FM cross modulation from the Instruō Cš-L in there and the Metasonix R56 is a big part of the sound. :star:

We also just did a live performance. Just eurorack, a mixer and two nitwits. :hyper: http://tiny.cc/8ndspz

JM Midnight
Common Wiggler

Post by JM Midnight » Sat May 23, 2020 5:20 pm

I think the 4MS Ensemble can make chords in just 16 hp. Not really sure if it is just a chord player or actually polyphonic, but I plan to get it. Sounds really good.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun May 24, 2020 12:01 am

Again, the OP asks for some kind of effect that will turn a sound into a chord (based on that sound), not an oscillator that can make chords. 🙂

Return to “Eurorack Modules”