OMG! Lots of good VCAs!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

OMG! Lots of good VCAs!

Post by guigui » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:53 pm

I was planning to add an Intellijel Quad VCA to my new rack and stumbled upon a lot of good alternatives to it. As it would be quite absurd to ask here about all that caught my attention, I've narrowed the list down to those that attracted me the most and that I didn't found much about.
  • Happy Nerding PanMix: more like a mixer with the option of using VCA or panning (I really like the option of using panning), more inputs than Quad VCA but bigger, not individual outputs;
  • ADDAC802 Quintet Mixing Console: same size as the Quad VCA but with one more output, Solo/Off/Mix switch, individual outs, solo out, pre and post VCA out, external input. This one is a strong contender;
  • Złob VnIcursal: amazing 6 outputs in 8hp, individual outputs or sum, attenuators for CV;
  • Bastl Instruments Quattro Figaro: smaller than Quad VCA, nice panning, interesting mixing combinations, individual outs, CV inverter per channel, CV in jack with attennuator;
Have anyone tested any of those modules?

Agawell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:18 am

mi veils & befaco hexvca are also worth looking at
Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine - and stops them tarnishing too!!!

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:37 am

Agawell wrote:mi veils & befaco hexvca are also worth looking at
Hexvca is very nice but when compared Złob VnIcursal seems too big. And the curve form knob is not that important to me.

And Veils is very similar to Quad VCA, so I wouldn't "gain" much.

diffrentstrolks
Common Wiggler

Post by diffrentstrolks » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:13 am

I’ll shut up directly after this, but the +20db you can “gain” with Veils is the best thing about it :P

If response curve isn’t important, I’d absolutely recommend the Zlob; it’s simple and great.

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:03 am

The zlob isnt the easiest build if you choose to DIY it. The board is pretty dense. But in terms of bang for the buck without bells and whistles, its great.

The ADDAC is a fab piece, too. You can tell by how rarely they come up on the second hand market.
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:56 am

Tangle Quartet: smallish, proven performer, has some gain on tap, linear only (a problem for some)

Muton: super dense, excellent mutes—very handy to have around

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:45 am

diffrentstrolks wrote:I’ll shut up directly after this, but the +20db you can “gain” with Veils is the best thing about it :P

If response curve isn’t important, I’d absolutely recommend the Zlob; it’s simple and great.
I should have seen that coming.

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:48 am

Multi Grooves wrote:The zlob isnt the easiest build if you choose to DIY it. The board is pretty dense. But in terms of bang for the buck without bells and whistles, its great.

The ADDAC is a fab piece, too. You can tell by how rarely they come up on the second hand market.
I don't plan to build the Zlob if I choose that.

I realized that about ADDAC. And it's quite pricey too.
Last edited by guigui on Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:55 am

mdoudoroff wrote:Tangle Quartet: smallish, proven performer, has some gain on tap, linear only (a problem for some)

Muton: super dense, excellent mutes—very handy to have around
Those seem very nice.

I wanted more than 4 inputs. But 4 ins with 2164 in 8hp is very cool.

8 ins with different cascading configurations in 10hp is even cooler. And those mutes may be very useful. I just wanted it to have knobs. But we can't have it all.

Oh man, I'll have to add them to the list.
Last edited by guigui on Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:06 am

VCA Matrix by 4MS Company is nice and quite different. It does things others cannot.

LINK = https://www.modulargrid.net/e/4ms-company-vca-matrix

8-)
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

kpreid
Common Wiggler

Post by kpreid » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:03 am

Note that a single large summing VCA isn't necessarily best. If you have separate VCA modules or a cascading VCA (like Veils / Intellijel Quad VCA), then you can create multiple mixes, which is useful for combining CVs, or for putting some but not all of your audio through a single effect.

Multiple VCA modules also means that you can distribute them around your rack for easier patching, and get different types with different features. That said, you're not going to get the same density as the 6/8 channel single modules if you do that. but there are various options for 4-channel cascading mixers in 8 HP, and two of those gets you 8 channels in 16 HP.

I don't know of a cascading VCA larger than 4 channels.

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:33 am

kpreid wrote:Note that a single large summing VCA isn't necessarily best. If you have separate VCA modules or a cascading VCA (like Veils / Intellijel Quad VCA), then you can create multiple mixes, which is useful for combining CVs, or for putting some but not all of your audio through a single effect.

Multiple VCA modules also means that you can distribute them around your rack for easier patching, and get different types with different features. That said, you're not going to get the same density as the 6/8 channel single modules if you do that. but there are various options for 4-channel cascading mixers in 8 HP, and two of those gets you 8 channels in 16 HP.

you can chain Veils together
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

mrerdat
Common Wiggler

Post by mrerdat » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:04 pm

2x XAOC Tallin is the same hp as the Intellijel Quad VCA and the same amount of outputs. It's probably the best sounding VCA I've heard so far with all of it's extra saturation options. Might look elsewhere if built-in summing/cascading is a must though. For my purposes I just use 2hp unity mixers or other mixer modules to sum.

I had the Quad VCA a few years back but sold it because I needed extra space at the time. Still a great option to consider imo if cascading/summing.

chiavere
Common Wiggler

Post by chiavere » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:23 pm

Very happy owner of the HN Panmix + Isolator combo - great design/function and sound.

I would also put Bubblesound VCA4P on my list of “best” euro VCA - wonderful sound and very functional.

Parnelli
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Parnelli » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:31 pm

You can use the boost switch and cascade channels on the Intellijel Quad to get distortion. Also the response curve is adjustable, which I find nice for percussive sounds.

I don't really have a lot of experience with the others named though.

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:28 pm

kpreid wrote:Note that a single large summing VCA isn't necessarily best. If you have separate VCA modules or a cascading VCA (like Veils / Intellijel Quad VCA), then you can create multiple mixes, which is useful for combining CVs, or for putting some but not all of your audio through a single effect.

mdoudoroff suggested the Muton, 8 channels, cascading, 10hp. Just no knobs.

Summa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: OMG! Lots of good VCAs!

Post by Summa » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:56 pm

guigui wrote:
[*]ADDAC802 Quintet Mixing Console: same size as the Quad VCA but with one more output, Solo/Off/Mix switch, individual outs, solo out, pre and post VCA out, external input. This one is a strong contender;
It might be worth noting that it's not one more output but a whole channel as it's quintet, the pre/post and solo outs are very useful too.
The 802 also has Lin/Log selectable response curves and is available with a reversed panel if you feel like using it in a skiff with the knoba facing you.

cloudleft
Common Wiggler

Post by cloudleft » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:20 pm

Some may argue that 802's individual outs make it worth the price. I love how compact it is and how deep the routing options are. It's my VCA/mixer combo of choice and I've never felt like it couldn't meet the task at hand. There's a dedicated thread on it in the ADDAC subforum if you're looking for more details.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:49 pm

Veils and QuadVCA both have individuals outs.... Wouldn't say that makes it, worth its price.

khyber
Veteran Wiggler

Post by khyber » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:16 pm

DVCA by Antumbra Audio is 1/2 of a Veils in 4HP. Best VCA bang for the buck in terms of HP

cloudleft
Common Wiggler

Post by cloudleft » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:23 pm

cackland wrote:Veils and QuadVCA both have individuals outs.... Wouldn't say that makes it, worth its price.
I see where you're coming from. Patching to the outputs on quadVCA removes them from the subsequent channel. with the 802 you don't have to make that choice – individual channels are always available at their individual outs and the mix (depending on routing/switch control) regardless of how it's patched. For some, that's an advantage. For others, the cascading topology in quadVCA is an advantage.

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:46 pm

khyber wrote:DVCA by Antumbra Audio is 1/2 of a Veils in 4HP. Best VCA bang for the buck in terms of HP
Those are pretty nice if you have a 4hp hole to fill, but I was pretty close to buying 2 of them (which would be 4 channels @ 8hp) it would have been close to $250.

If you want more than 2chs (chaining them together) the normal Veils are a much better deal . If these uVeils were $99, it would be a different story, but they seem to be in the $120-130.

Just food for thought. The Antumbra ones are pretty cool looking IMO.
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:40 am

chiavere wrote:I would also put Bubblesound VCA4P on my list of “best” euro VCA - wonderful sound and very functional.
I was originally looking at getting the Zlob VnIcursal VCA, but went with the bubblesound VCA4p instead. The VCA4p only has four VCAs compared to the VnIcursal's six for the same hp space, but each is switchable between linear and exponential, and with a small system like mine, that flexibility is very handy.

snm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by snm » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:22 pm

diffrentstrolks wrote:I’ll shut up directly after this, but the +20db you can “gain” with Veils is the best thing about it :P

I agree that it is the best thing about Veils, but the response curve is important there. You get higher gains with exponential response curves. You probably can't reach the 20db mark in linear mode.

This is from the Veils manual : "Continuously variable between exponential and linear. Because the exponential function grows rapidly, very high gains (above 10) can be achieved with an exponential response curve. Beware of clipping!"

mmpingo
Common Wiggler

Re: OMG! Lots of good VCAs!

Post by mmpingo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:29 pm

guigui wrote: [*]Złob VnIcursal: amazing 6 outputs in 8hp, individual outputs or sum
Does it mean it can be a mixer?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”