OMG! Lots of good VCAs!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

snm
Learning to Wiggle

Re: OMG! Lots of good VCAs!

Post by snm » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:35 pm

mmpingo wrote: Does it mean it can be a mixer?
Yes, 'sum' means all outputs are summed to a single output, like a mixer.

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:39 pm

Has somebody tried the A-135-2 Quad VCA / VC Mixer ?

8 hp and some interesting output options (similar to the ADDAC 802)

And Malekko Quad VCA ?

8 hp, mutes, scanning, panning, offset, attenuation, it doesn't seem to have cascading outs.
Last edited by guigui on Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crashlander42
Common Wiggler

Post by Crashlander42 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:45 pm

The VOID Modular Hexagram isn't bad -

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/void-modular-hexagram
https://www.etsy.com/listing/644636705/ ... -6xvca-mix

6xVCAs and a sum output in 10hp.

*In interest of full disclosure I am highly biased

RogerStrom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RogerStrom » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:28 pm

Da new NANO modules ALT is a great one!
Has lots of clean headroom, no crosstalk / CV bleed, can be a VC mixer and it is b-l-a-c-k ! :party:

www.thomann.de/gb/nano_modules_alt.htm

noisewreck
Common Wiggler

Post by noisewreck » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:36 pm

Also look at Malekko Quad VCA
Per channel mute
Scan and Pan
And other goodies

8hp

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:39 pm

noisewreck wrote:Also look at Malekko Quad VCA
Per channel mute
Scan and Pan
And other goodies

8hp
Yeah, I found that minutes ago.

Do you have one? Does is sound good? Does is have cascading outputs?

snm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by snm » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:17 pm

noisewreck wrote:Also look at Malekko Quad VCA
Per channel mute
Scan and Pan
And other goodies

8hp
Thanks. I haven't seen that before. This is actually a pretty useful circuit, but only one pot for scale and attenuation is kind of a bummer. Worth the HP to include those IMO.

pekbro
Common Wiggler

Post by pekbro » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:12 pm

I should probably buy a VCA at some point.

mick
Common Wiggler

Post by mick » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:06 am

RogerStrom wrote:Da new NANO modules ALT is a great one!
Has lots of clean headroom, no crosstalk / CV bleed, can be a VC mixer and it is b-l-a-c-k ! :party:

www.thomann.de/gb/nano_modules_alt.htm
NANO makes great stuff, love their filter and mixer :sb:

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:09 am

guigui wrote:...

And Malekko Quad VCA ?

8 hp, mutes, scanning, panning, offset, attenuation, it doesn't seem to have cascading outs.
I recently got this to add to my system--I already have Blinds for cascading stuff.

The Quad VCA's scanning appealed to me, as did having both the attenuation and offset. I have another VCA I can play in real-time (offset knob per channel), so I was ok with this one as a set-and-forget. Note that with the single set of controls for each channel on the Malekko, there will be that parameter jump if the pots are at a different setting than the previously-selected channel. (Make sense? Kind of like the virtual analog hardware synths did in the '90s-'00s.) Oh, and this can accept bipolar CV using that offset pot, even though it's a unipolar VCA--good for my purposes.

guigui
Wiggling with Experience

Post by guigui » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:33 pm

scuto wrote:
guigui wrote:...

And Malekko Quad VCA ?

I recently got this to add to my system--I already have Blinds for cascading stuff.

The Quad VCA's scanning appealed to me, as did having both the attenuation and offset. I have another VCA I can play in real-time (offset knob per channel), so I was ok with this one as a set-and-forget. Note that with the single set of controls for each channel on the Malekko, there will be that parameter jump if the pots are at a different setting than the previously-selected channel. (Make sense? Kind of like the virtual analog hardware synths did in the '90s-'00s.) Oh, and this can accept bipolar CV using that offset pot, even though it's a unipolar VCA--good for my purposes.
What do you think about its sound?

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:13 am

guigui wrote:What do you think about its sound?
Clean and transparent to my ears.

Edit: I have the VCA4p for "character" VCAs.

adaris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adaris » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:43 am

Something to keep a lookout for: Arcus Audio will be coming out with a 2 hp, 2 channel, DC-coupled VCA, with each channel independently switchable between linear and exponential response. When no CV is input the CV attenuators attenuate the input signal. In addition, the signal and CV inputs are both normalized from channel 1 to channel 2. There are bipolar LEDs for both channels as well.

Disclosure: I'm not affiliated with Arcus Audio, I just did some beta-testing on the VCA.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:29 pm

adaris wrote:Something to keep a lookout for: Arcus Audio will be coming out with a 2 hp, 2 channel, DC-coupled VCA, with each channel independently switchable between linear and exponential response. When no CV is input the CV attenuators attenuate the input signal. In addition, the signal and CV inputs are both normalized from channel 1 to channel 2. There are bipolar LEDs for both channels as well.

Disclosure: I'm not affiliated with Arcus Audio, I just did some beta-testing on the VCA.
2HP also has a 2HP vca.. couldn't think of anything worse considering its lack of size and wiggle ability.

oilpanic
Common Wiggler

Post by oilpanic » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:26 am

I have the zlob x6 and switched to happy nerding. In my experience the HN was much easier to operate and my whole system opened up.

adaris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adaris » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:13 am

cackland wrote:
adaris wrote:Something to keep a lookout for: Arcus Audio will be coming out with a 2 hp, 2 channel, DC-coupled VCA, with each channel independently switchable between linear and exponential response. When no CV is input the CV attenuators attenuate the input signal. In addition, the signal and CV inputs are both normalized from channel 1 to channel 2. There are bipolar LEDs for both channels as well.

2HP also has a 2HP vca.. couldn't think of anything worse considering its lack of size and wiggle ability.
Well as I mentioned above, the Arcus Audio VCA will have a few features that the VCA from 2HP does not.......as for the size, some people will appreciate it, some won't. 2 hp modules aren't for everyone, but for some systems they are just right.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:33 am

Of course, options are there for a reason. Just my 2 cents

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:13 am

pekbro wrote:I should probably buy a VCA at some point.
Don't buy into the hype. All it does is twiddle knobs automatically for you. Kids these days...too lazy to even turn their own attenuator knobs for themselves...have to get control voltage to do it for them. I swear.
:hihi:

Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Illwiggle » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:49 pm

Good thread. Ive been looking at VCAs lately, realized i dont really have any except for a gang of lo pass gates, which isnt cutting the mustard.... any votes for the Xaoc Tallin?

Anjunagasm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Anjunagasm » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:58 pm

I can’t decide whether I want the zlob vnicursal or intellijel quad. I want the linear/exponential of the quad, but I like the fact you get six VCAs in 8hp space with the zlob. I also like the look of vnicursal. Also the Pentamix has a cool aesthetic to it.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:43 pm

If you want high VCA / hp count, then zlob. However I would recommend quad vca, better playability / flexibility

turin horsey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by turin horsey » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:58 pm

Good stuff in here, I'd also add ALM009 as a nice looking 8hp quad option:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/alm-busy- ... le-quartet

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:12 pm

WMD DVCA packs a lot of greatness into 4hp for smaller systems. 2 VCAs, zero-crossing detection to eliminate clicks, and also capable of ring mod and even sample & hold.
https://wmdevices.com/products/dvca

ChromaStatic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ChromaStatic » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:11 pm

I have a Happy Nerding 3X VCA and love it. One thing I've really settled on personally is I appreciate VCAs that have bipolar CV attenuation knobs. It just makes it so easy to use an envelope as a positive or negative modulator, and with that feature in a knob, I use for real-time performance. I also really like the dual potentiometer design, and the spacing/ergonomics works for me.

http://www.happynerding.com/category/3xvca/

I also have an Erogenous Tones VC8. It's incredible useful with 8 outputs that can also be submixed between 2 groups of 4. It's become the center of my rack, and it has the positive + negative CV offset knob feature per channel that I have come to rely on. In terms of ergonomics, I've noticed it's gotten hard to grab the knobs in real-time with the cluster of cables currently attached, but that's a cable management problem that's easy to work around.

https://erogenous-tones.com/modules/vc8/

I'm currently looking at picking a quad VCA like either the Malekko Quad VCA or the Nano ALT. They both have the bi-polar CV attenuation per channel. I like the mutes and scan function on the Malekko but the offset and CV knobs are shared by each channel and you need to press a button to switch between them. The Nano ALT gives gain and CV attenuation for 3 of the 4 channels, and I wish it was for all 4!

I would probably just get another HN 3X VCA, but I think my system will benefit from a Quad unit at this point.
Electronica:
www.aetherchroma.com

Sound-art, Installation and Sculpture:
www.derekhoffend.com

sleepmute
Common Wiggler

Post by sleepmute » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:56 pm

Quad VCA is great. I use the mixing function all the time to create sub mixes, and having the CV normalized downward is really useful. Sounds transparent; good interface. It’s not the narrowest module, but I honesty wouldn’t want it any narrower.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”