OMG! Lots of good VCAs!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

muleskinner
Common Wiggler

Re: OMG! Lots of good VCAs!

Post by muleskinner » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:24 pm

The Intellijel Quad might not be the most 'boutique-y' option but it's really good - bias setting comes in really handy as does the ability to mix lin/exp response.

But one thing that doesn't get mentioned enough is that it gives a *really* nice breakup when pushed (to my ears anyway).
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

timmmofa
Learning to Wiggle

Post by timmmofa » Tue May 05, 2020 2:29 am

ChromaStatic wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:11 pm
I also have an Erogenous Tones VC8. It's incredible useful with 8 outputs that can also be submixed between 2 groups of 4. It's become the center of my rack, and it has the positive + negative CV offset knob feature per channel that I have come to rely on. In terms of ergonomics, I've noticed it's gotten hard to grab the knobs in real-time with the cluster of cables currently attached, but that's a cable management problem that's easy to work around.

https://erogenous-tones.com/modules/vc8/
As I rely on my Happy Nerding 3xVCA's CV-inverting feature heavily, as you are, I was just wondering if i missed this feature on my VC8 - but mine only has a Attenuator for the CV, as the manual also states. Do you have a newer version or sth? I would LOVE this feature for the VC8!
Cheers.

megarat
Common Wiggler

Post by megarat » Tue May 05, 2020 4:10 am

I'm eagerly anticipating Doepfer's release of the A-130-8, which they previewed at NAMM. It looks like it got pushed back from spring to early summer -- presumably yet another coronavirus delay -- but I can wait.

benofbrown
Common Wiggler

Post by benofbrown » Tue May 05, 2020 4:35 am

Yeah, I want one of those A-130-8's too! Then hopefully I'll not need any more for a long while.

ZargZorg
Common Wiggler

Post by ZargZorg » Tue May 05, 2020 4:36 am

Anyone found the mutes on Muton to be quite hard to "play" when fully patched? I'm afraid my clunky fingers won't be able to work around a small place.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue May 05, 2020 6:20 am

ZargZorg wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 4:36 am
Anyone found the mutes on Muton to be quite hard to "play" when fully patched? I'm afraid my clunky fingers won't be able to work around a small place.
Surprisingly, no, I haven’t. I don’t think it’s at any significant disadvantage.

closedLoop
Common Wiggler

Post by closedLoop » Tue May 05, 2020 12:07 pm

ZargZorg wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 4:36 am
I don't find it so hard, either.

However, as others have said, I really wish all of the jacks were on one side of the module, and the buttons were on the other. That way, Muton could be on the edge of a case, and the buttons would be much more 'playable.' When Muton is fully patched, you are reaching between cables, and that it can be awkward at times, especially when making quick, performative gestures.

Buyakasoundman
Common Wiggler

Post by Buyakasoundman » Tue May 05, 2020 1:02 pm

However, as others have said, I really wish all of the jacks were on one side of the module, and the buttons were on the other. That way, Muton could be on the edge of a case, and the buttons would be much more 'playable.' When Muton is fully patched, you are reaching between cables, and that it can be awkward at times, especially when making quick, performative gestures.
[/quote]

+1 for the buttons along one side. I use stackables on my Muton outputs; it buys a 1/4” of knuckle room.

ChromaStatic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ChromaStatic » Thu May 21, 2020 8:39 pm

timmmofa wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:29 am
ChromaStatic wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:11 pm
I also have an Erogenous Tones VC8. It's incredible useful with 8 outputs that can also be submixed between 2 groups of 4. It's become the center of my rack, and it has the positive + negative CV offset knob feature per channel that I have come to rely on. In terms of ergonomics, I've noticed it's gotten hard to grab the knobs in real-time with the cluster of cables currently attached, but that's a cable management problem that's easy to work around.

https://erogenous-tones.com/modules/vc8/
As I rely on my Happy Nerding 3xVCA's CV-inverting feature heavily, as you are, I was just wondering if i missed this feature on my VC8 - but mine only has a Attenuator for the CV, as the manual also states. Do you have a newer version or sth? I would LOVE this feature for the VC8!
Cheers.
Yes the VCA8 has a CV OFFSET control that can add positive or negative amounts to the CV LEVEL value. So if you have the CV Level knob turned up (adding volume to an incoming signal), and the CV Offset going negative, you can have incoming CV envelopes attenuate the volume on input sounds instead of boosting them. I use that to gate sounds to make room for kick drums or that side-chain compressor effect.
Electronica:
www.aetherchroma.com

Sound-art, Installation and Sculpture:
www.derekhoffend.com

nomass
Common Wiggler

Post by nomass » Thu May 21, 2020 10:27 pm

My Xaoc Praga has vcas that were sounding pretty nice the other night. You probably don’t need a Praga if you don’t need all it’s mixing capabilities, but I’m 63% sure that the vxcas are the same as Tallin.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”