Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by brandonlogic » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:27 am

i picked up one of these to go with Melisma
should be a great combo!
https://www.hypnotriod.org/beatsqueezer/#/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:30 am

It's a great combo! Good choice.
Being able to control effects via CC control through the Melisma opens things up a lot.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:46 am

Yes that looks like an ace machine. Last winter I designed a 7 button foot switch board that does almost the same thing (but with a MIDI sequencer also) but not as big internal memory.

I was thinking that the "keyboard split" regions could be used with LHAND by simply setting the zero note offset to a higher (or lower) octave setting. That way LHAND could play other samples while the chord would play the main set. It appears it's single channel so that would be the way to do it
LHAND Percussa also uses the same offset so it would work too!

Sorry about the delays we just just came out of a 2 day power outage and snowstorm antics continue so things were set back from today to tomorrow or Friday.
We'll start taking orders tomorrow but they likely won't be out until Monday
Last edited by Sandrine on Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:04 pm

Pre-order requests are out, those will have have priority but anyone else wanting to order can go ahead and email me
Cheers!

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:33 am

Update

A couple of features in V1.0 (Release version) were added
Melisma Sync -
If there are two Melisma's (or a Melisma and Sequarallel) on the same PSU bus the master can control the slave's Root and/or Chord selection instantly via Select bus. This is better than a multed patch to the slave because it's immediate and doesn't require a Gate to load them so they can be used by LHAND as a scale.
Patching one or the other on the Slave module will defeat the select bus so different chords can be played on the same Root key giving possibility of compound chords or different roots on the same chord can expand the chord to another octave.
All of the other controls are autonomous to the slave so the possibilities are endless!
Th slave can also follow the Master's PROGram preset selection of course.

Sequarallel Lists Loading -
This is a future compat with the Sequarallel module also in our Accord series
Upon request, the Sequarallel can read and store the present Root & Chord Progression Lists plus the CV Chord List, and the upper/lower limits information along with one of it's sequences. When the sequence in loaded these lists are sent back to the Melisma for temporary use (non destructive) with the Sequence. The lists can then be used to augment the play-ability of the Sequarallel Sequence (i.e. chords that are used in the Sequence) under CV or trigger control. i.e. for controlling pads or embellishments. The above Sync feature will also work with the Sequarallel module.

These features can be used to provide quantizing scales for recording Layers onto a Sequence with the Sequarallel as a Slave to the Melisma.

Finalized features for the release:

Progression Reset Options -
There are now several Progression Reset options:
Time 1s, 2s, 5s. No triggers after set time will result in a Reset of chord or root progressions
Gate input. Any Gate input will reset both progressions.
HOLD input. A low to high on the Hold input will reset both.
ACLK input. A low to high on the ACLK will reset both
Pulse Width x2. A double width trigger/gate (compared to previous) on either Root or Chord progression will reset
CC CV. A high on the CC CV (>2.5V) will reset both. CC CV must also be assigned this
Interval x2,x4. A pause of 2x or 4x previous time in pulse train on either root or chord progression will reset
If you don't want to reset progressions, leaving it at default CC CV without assigning the CC CV to it works!

MIDI Remote Root Control via LINK -
Changing the Root note offset via LINK MIDI input (from a keyboard or controller) has been augmented to deal with hand played chords by searching for the lowest note in the chord and using it for the root offset. This is great for feeding a MIDI sequence from a song playing in a DAW (on chords channel) or MPE sequencer machine (MPE allows tracking by note order on a specific channel) then using that as the key for modular sequences.
This feature (along with remote CC controls of various internals on the Melisma) makes it very playable for live sequencing and works similarly to an arpreggiator on a keyboard synth. This feature is always on as long as the Remote Control channel is set away from "---"

That's it! I hope everyone enjoys these features
The preliminary manual should be available be the end of this week

7on5on8on3
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 7on5on8on3 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:39 am

Oh that's really exciting about the reset control. Now wandering if I can ditch the CV sequencer altogether. That might finance buying a melisma. Hmmm

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:36 am

Decisions decisions eh?
I like to use the CC CV as a Window control (that moves a short progression around) off an LFO and 2x on a trigger sequence it's pretty cool. Using HOLD as reset ( also switches to Arp) works but if that happens at the exact same time as the progression that chord won't be heard but the Arp notes instead. That as a burst of very fast clocks on ACLK makes for an interesting switch.

7on5on8on3
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 7on5on8on3 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:49 am

Using hold as a reset might work well. I've got a lot of very controlled triggers and resets for dealing with the same issue with other sequencers. I just need to get my hands on a melisma now.

Another thought, how 'black midi' or colon nancarrow can you push the melisma? can you triggger the aclk at audio rates? Asking for a friend....

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:29 am

The Melisma is very Black MIDI / Colon Nancarrow oriented. One of the inspirations for it was the lack of Nancarrow-like possibilities of movements in a modular environment :hihi:

Audio rate is not the right speed for these things though, but as I'm used to saying when testing any CV-to-MIDI device, "it's good if my or the MIDI specification gives up before the device does". That's the case with Melisma. Your synth will freak out way before the Melisma does.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:19 am

Well here's some good news

macOS Mojave 10.14 or later. macOS Mojave 10.14 (released in October 2018) includes a CH34x driver by Apple.

Not being a Mac user I had no idea this existed. So I guess we're all set for firmware updating :)

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:18 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:29 am
The Melisma is very Black MIDI / Colon Nancarrow oriented. One of the inspirations for it was the lack of Nancarrow-like possibilities of movements in a modular environment :hihi:

Audio rate is not the right speed for these things though, but as I'm used to saying when testing any CV-to-MIDI device, "it's good if my or the MIDI specification gives up before the device does". That's the case with Melisma. Your synth will freak out way before the Melisma does.
That nailed it! Gates, HOLD or Arping at audio rates is psychedelia supreme if the synth can handle it. The other day, I used it's own audio to trigger and, depending on the levels, was like bowing a bizarre violin (pretty hard to describe)
I have yet to try that on the DAW MIDI though, probably wouldn't handle it well.

Now the prelim. manual is complete (V1.1, 30 pages only!) I'll be getting some Melisma videos up. Some of the subjects will be:
Progressions, reset types
CC CV input internal controls
1 V/Octave pitch bending
Imprint Mode / MPE
Using with BeatStep Pro with CV / LINK MIDI
Hand playing & using Remote MIDI w/ controller
Pairing Melisma's
SysEx I/O

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:47 am

just got mine!
so just trying it out of the first time. chords are working fine, but arp/aclk is not.
like in sandy's demo, i have a high voltage in hold input, and a gate pattern in the gate input and a fast clock in aclk and getting nothing out.
im sure im missing something in setup, theres a lot in the menus i don't fully understand.
any help would be appreciated.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:04 pm

Hi BL! Glad to hear you received the module, I'll the prelim. manual out to you right away
-edit- Oh I just sent you an email then realized that indeed your synth is not on the Arp channel because it's the one you mentioned a few posts ago LOL.
Is that sampler synth (BeatSqueezer) capable of different channels or is it all regions?

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:38 pm

Here's a video on the Select Bus interface in the Melisma.
It can be pretty useful (although this video doesn't cover "great applications") especially the HOLD switch

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:39 pm

Thanks, just had to config the midi channels. i think beatsqueezer can only do one midi channel at a time. im going to play with the digitone too.
but here my first patch with it!

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:31 am

Very impressive! And without any paper wow.

I split the output to 2 synths and did some experimental hand played remote roots via LINK http://www.freshnelly.com/tunes2020/RootRemoteKB.mp3 and CV root offset from a RIT_M and chord progression Maj's/6 and min/6's. The squeaks are a mono-synth on varied Spread from the RIT_M's velocity (pad pressure). It's interesting how that's handled

For anyone that didn't get my email (I think I got everyone) the user guide: http://www.freshnelly.com/melisma/Melisma-PreGuide.pdf

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:10 pm

This is a block diagram that describes (pretty well) the way the Melisma is set up. This isn't in the present manual but I'll post it on the site http://www.freshnelly.com/melisma/BlockDiag.jpg in higher resolution (altho it's not bad here) and eventually it'll be on the Melisma page
BlockDiagsm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:03 am

This is a video on CC CV internal functions, the ones that aren't MIDI controls..
There are 12 total

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:25 am

Here's a tutorial on Spread Modifiers

These modifiers add "pizazz"to chord Spreads, can be set or controlled via CC CV as mentioned in the previous video

eewee
Common Wiggler

Post by eewee » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:46 pm

Got one! And it's 20 times as feature rich as I'd imagined, so plenty of long nights to dive into it :-)

Two questions from a nerd:

1. is there a way in the menus to see the installed version? I did the 1.1 upgrade, but apart from the absence of error messages, I don't know if it worked or not;
2. in the screensaver mode, it looks as if the rightmost column of pixels is a copy of the leftmost, I guess that's a one-off error somewhere?

Now for the real stuff, patching it up :-)
Why, say she now, is I not glean that one may say of thing while thing is not.
(Alan Moore, Voice of the Fire)

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:45 pm

eewee wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:46 pm
Got one! And it's 20 times as feature rich as I'd imagined, so plenty of long nights to dive into it :-)

Two questions from a nerd:

1. is there a way in the menus to see the installed version? I did the 1.1 upgrade, but apart from the absence of error messages, I don't know if it worked or not;
2. in the screensaver mode, it looks as if the rightmost column of pixels is a copy of the leftmost, I guess that's a one-off error somewhere?

Now for the real stuff, patching it up :-)
Glad to hear the module arrived OK!
-That's a good idea, I'll put that into V1.2. (perhaps a little splash to boot!)
-That's the normal way the screen saver is. It was done that way to save a few CPU cycles. I'll check & see if it can be more efficiently written
Have fun! Any questions, don't hesitate to post them

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:25 am

This video tutorial covers the CC IMPRINT feature
enjoy!

These videos are meant to augment the user guide. There's 3 more in the "tutorial" group then after that if anyone has a suggestion on another, drop me a line here (ha ha what an antiquated expression, but it still applies in a different way!)

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:34 pm

This video tutorial covers the LINK MIDI input's remote control of various Melisma functions including Root "take-over" notes.

With a MIDI break-out panel (only uses 2 of the 4 LINK header pins) the capabilities (especially if performing with the Melisma) is augmented quite a bit!

Note - Since this video, "Spread Linear" option has been added where the empty space was in the Spread menu shown. Spread linear switches the knob & CV away from exponential, the default in V.1.1. This will be available in V1.2 (soon!)
This means that 2.5 volts (with knob CW) or knob at 50% (no CV patched) will spread at about 1 second (full range is 2 seconds)

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:30 pm

This is the second last tutorial video on the Melisma, which covers the LHAND Percussa mode (perhaps better than the user guide?)
Enjoy!

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:19 pm

First patch with the newly arrived Melisma. It's so much fun to play with; I did minimal changes to the original settings using the menu which is super easy to navigate, especially considering how deep this thing goes. I'll be posting a lot of examples of the Melisma in action if anyone's interested. There's a lot to cover!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”