Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2216
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:28 pm
Location: BC Canada
Contact:

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by Sandrine » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:37 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:19 pm
First patch with the newly arrived Melisma. It's so much fun to play with; I did minimal changes to the original settings using the menu which is super easy to navigate, especially considering how deep this thing goes. I'll be posting a lot of examples of the Melisma in action if anyone's interested. There's a lot to cover!

Thanks for posting K! Indeed there is a lot to cover. I have been working through all of the video tutorials to kind of help explain where perhaps the user guide leaves questions. Two more to go!

User avatar
Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2216
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:28 pm
Location: BC Canada
Contact:

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by Sandrine » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:51 pm

Update:
The new user guide for V1.2 is at http://www.freshnelly.com/melisma/Melis ... deV1-2.pdf
It's pretty close except page 25 & 28. The last page lists the firmware changes and updates to the guide, primarily:
- Linear Spread Option
- Reset (master reset) in case you want to see (again) the version number or nice Start-up Splash!
- CC CV Progression Reset: Now holds progressions at lower limits
- minor bugs fixed, the Chord List ALL offsetting (you may not have seen this) and CC CV Reset knob not showing properly
The new Firmware V. 1.2 is at http://www.freshnelly.com/melisma/MEL-REL-V12.zip

Also the video tutorials have been added to the site.. http://www.freshnelly.com/melisma/melisma.htm

User avatar
eewee
Common Wiggler
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:34 pm
Location: Belgium, close to Brussels

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by eewee » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:37 pm

and the screen saver artefact is fixed in 1.2 :hyper:
Why, say she now, is I not glean that one may say of thing while thing is not.
(Alan Moore, Voice of the Fire)

User avatar
Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2216
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:28 pm
Location: BC Canada
Contact:

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by Sandrine » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:28 pm

eewee wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:37 pm
and the screen saver artefact is fixed in 1.2 :hyper:
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that one!

User avatar
Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2216
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:28 pm
Location: BC Canada
Contact:

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by Sandrine » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:35 pm

Last two tutorial videos!



This one is the first part covering Root/Chord Progressions & pause inserts



This one is about the Progressions Reset options and how they work

Enjoy!!

User avatar
Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2216
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:28 pm
Location: BC Canada
Contact:

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by Sandrine » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:14 pm

To Melisma owners:

I found a minor bug in the state of SPREAD when a new PROGram is loaded and have fixed it to prevent confusion with anyone getting familiar with the Melisma.
Even though SPREAD Q=N the quantizer is active. This discrepancy resolves for that particular PROGram once changed to Y/N, so for now just switch to Y then back to N and the Spread Quant will turn off.
This will be included in V1.3, but not sure when that'll be out, perhaps after more bugs are found ;)

Also, an alternate method of factory reset (since V.1.2) is to press both the encoder and button together for a reset, then when the logo appears, press and hold both again until screen goes dark. This way you don't have to power down to do a factory reset.
Please note that this will erase all of your lists and put everything back the way it was when it came out of the box. This does not affect calibration.

User avatar
Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2216
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:28 pm
Location: BC Canada
Contact:

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by Sandrine » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:38 pm

Notice:

Anyone trying to contact us about any of our products please post here or PM me (our emails are all down)
Thanks!
Sandy

User avatar
Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2216
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:28 pm
Location: BC Canada
Contact:

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by Sandrine » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:12 am

Never mind, emails are back up!

calvinsomething
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:59 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by calvinsomething » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:13 pm

This is really cool. I'm not sure if there are modular poly synths that accept 3.5mm MIDI in? That would be very convenient.

The other things is this would be awesome with a more ergonomic and aesthetically pleasing design (obviously a lot of people will want more functionality per HP, but as this module in particular seems to be quite playable, some space and nice feeling knobs would be valued by many, I think).

User avatar
Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2216
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:28 pm
Location: BC Canada
Contact:

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by Sandrine » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:35 pm

calvinsomething wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:13 pm
This is really cool. I'm not sure if there are modular poly synths that accept 3.5mm MIDI in? That would be very convenient.
Thanks!
Yes there are plenty of modules/synths/samplers that have 3.5mm TRS, the only thing is polarity, some are one way (ring=hot), some are the other (tip=hot) which can be resolved by using a pair of mating stereo 3.5mm to RCA and switching them to match whatever MIDI receiver
The other things is this would be awesome with a more ergonomic and aesthetically pleasing design (obviously a lot of people will want more functionality per HP, but as this module in particular seems to be quite playable, some space and nice feeling knobs would be valued by many, I think).
Ha ha, yes, more HP begats more jacks, knobs, functions, you know how it is ;)

calvinsomething
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:59 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by calvinsomething » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:58 pm

Sorry, I meant in module form, yes. To have this right next to another module that accepts the same type of MIDI connection would be nice, without having the adapters hanging.

User avatar
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 10861
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: the Terminal beach

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:55 am

calvinsomething wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:58 pm
Sorry, I meant in module form, yes. To have this right next to another module that accepts the same type of MIDI connection would be nice, without having the adapters hanging.

Up to 16 voices, simple MIDI TRS from the Melisma.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/supercrit ... e-expander

I haven't managed to make a video yet, as a friend owns the module but he lives fairly far, but it's in my plans to make a short video demoing the two.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

calvinsomething
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:59 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by calvinsomething » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:58 am

Good idea!

User avatar
eewee
Common Wiggler
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:34 pm
Location: Belgium, close to Brussels

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by eewee » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:07 am

There's also 1010music's synthbox (4 note polyphony), and just a (free) firmware upgrade away from their bitbox or fxbox.

But their MIDI connector has the 'other' wiring. If you don't want to solder, MIDIXO from XOXO Modular comes in handy.
Why, say she now, is I not glean that one may say of thing while thing is not.
(Alan Moore, Voice of the Fire)

User avatar
Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2216
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:28 pm
Location: BC Canada
Contact:

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by Sandrine » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:13 am

eewee wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:07 am
There's also 1010music's synthbox (4 note polyphony), and just a (free) firmware upgrade away from their bitbox or fxbox.

But their MIDI connector has the 'other' wiring. If you don't want to solder, MIDIXO from XOXO Modular comes in handy.
Here's the TRS to TRS solution:
trs2rcaMale.jpg
trsF2rcaFemale.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 10861
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: the Terminal beach

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:15 am

That is very clever!!
Only issue I see is that you need both TRS sections to be male. I'm sure there's a male-RCA to male-TRS, as well as female-RCA to male-TRS.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

User avatar
Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2216
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:28 pm
Location: BC Canada
Contact:

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by Sandrine » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:23 pm

Oh that so depends on the availability of a TRS patch :)

So today I patched the Melisma's MIDI over to the Sequarallel and recorded in the TRAX tracker. It was super fun and complex results as spread chords rolled into some steps while others spanned 2 or 3 steps. It needs more investigation at the cost of some UI dev. still a fair amount to go but getting there!

User avatar
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 10861
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: the Terminal beach

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:00 am

Sandrine wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:23 pm
Oh that so depends on the availability of a TRS patch :)

So today I patched the Melisma's MIDI over to the Sequarallel and recorded in the TRAX tracker. It was super fun and complex results as spread chords rolled into some steps while others spanned 2 or 3 steps. It needs more investigation at the cost of some UI dev. still a fair amount to go but getting there!
In the meantime I'm getting a simple expander module to bring the MIDI input to the front of the Melisma and I'm working with the LINK settings. Any chance we could expand on that list at a later update? I'd love to be able to have CC control over C/R WIN for example, or be able to change more than the CV Chord list using MIDI. That would free up the CC CV input for other purposes.

After all this time my mind still gets boggled by how powerful the Melisma is. I can only imagine what will happen if you combine this with a Sequarallel ... :nuke:
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

User avatar
Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2216
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:28 pm
Location: BC Canada
Contact:

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by Sandrine » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:09 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:00 am
Sandrine wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:23 pm
Oh that so depends on the availability of a TRS patch :)

So today I patched the Melisma's MIDI over to the Sequarallel and recorded in the TRAX tracker. It was super fun and complex results as spread chords rolled into some steps while others spanned 2 or 3 steps. It needs more investigation at the cost of some UI dev. still a fair amount to go but getting there!
In the meantime I'm getting a simple expander module to bring the MIDI input to the front of the Melisma and I'm working with the LINK settings. Any chance we could expand on that list at a later update? I'd love to be able to have CC control over C/R WIN for example, or be able to change more than the CV Chord list using MIDI. That would free up the CC CV input for other purposes.
Yes I have been looking at more CC control as well, merging more of the CV list with the Remote list so to speak. Also Re-Chord (chord record hehe) idea has been re-vamped by a similar feature in the Sequarallel that has been running successfully. CC pad control over windowing will be a cool addition I agree.
After all this time my mind still gets boggled by how powerful the Melisma is. I can only imagine what will happen if you combine this with a Sequarallel ... :nuke:
Indeed, re-processing Melisma's output into a tracker sequence, or even just straight recording (which is better than with a DAW because of the clock source being the same) is powerful
Going the other way is equally fascinating, with the Sequarallel controlling the Melisma with recorded CC Loops and key change feeds on the remote channel. Combine that with MIDI sourced clock from Sequar's clock out to sync the rest the possibilities are truly panoramic.
I haven't tried both directions yet but it's entirely feasible with 2 different channels and some record automation.
Then there's the Sequar's CV/Gate outputs patched over to Melisma's inputs, which needs to be explored more. I have done Root & Chord selections this way but triggering notes rabbit hole yet to be done, +glide glide controlled :goo: CV LHAND runs

User avatar
Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2216
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:28 pm
Location: BC Canada
Contact:

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by Sandrine » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:08 am

Is there anyone out there using the Melisma with a sample player like 1010 BitBox or other MIDI-->Sample based module?

I have used mine with the Reflex LiveLoop (via MIDI) with some success but it's not poly so rather limited to Arp'ing really. The Imprint mode works nicely when assigned to a PlayFX control though, each note in Arp has the same shape of envelope on the G-Move granulizer!
I have also used the Melisma with DAW samplers which is pretty cool, but the bit of latency drives me nuts which reminds me why I got away from that sort of thing.

User avatar
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 10861
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: the Terminal beach

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:31 am

Sandrine wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:08 am
Is there anyone out there using the Melisma with a sample player like 1010 BitBox or other MIDI-->Sample based module?

I have used mine with the Reflex LiveLoop (via MIDI) with some success but it's not poly so rather limited to Arp'ing really. The Imprint mode works nicely when assigned to a PlayFX control though, each note in Arp has the same shape of envelope on the G-Move granulizer!
I have also used the Melisma with DAW samplers which is pretty cool, but the bit of latency drives me nuts which reminds me why I got away from that sort of thing.
Yes, I have both the 1010 Blackbox unit and the BeatSqueezer. Is there something in particular you want me to try out?

One of the most exciting things for me is the Select Bus function in combination with the Imprint. I have a Macromachines Omnimod module, which is a complex envelope generator. It listens to the Melisma's Select Bus changes, so I can have different envelopes getting recorded by the Imprint, for each Program on the Melisma. It's pretty amazing!

I've been mulling over integrating the i2c protocol. I know you're not fond of it Sandrine :hihi: but I really want to get the Melisma to respond to the Teletype.
Talking with ascannerdarkly about generic ops on the Teletype that would work with any i2c-capable module.

Also adding MIDI input/output plugs in the next few days, to see if I can have the Melisma play nicely with the Befaco VCMC. Things are getting crazy here :party:
We need more stuff under MIDI control on the Melisma ;)
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

User avatar
Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2216
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:28 pm
Location: BC Canada
Contact:

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by Sandrine » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:50 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:31 am
Sandrine wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:08 am
Is there anyone out there using the Melisma with a sample player like 1010 BitBox or other MIDI-->Sample based module?

I have used mine with the Reflex LiveLoop (via MIDI) with some success but it's not poly so rather limited to Arp'ing really. The Imprint mode works nicely when assigned to a PlayFX control though, each note in Arp has the same shape of envelope on the G-Move granulizer!
I have also used the Melisma with DAW samplers which is pretty cool, but the bit of latency drives me nuts which reminds me why I got away from that sort of thing.
Yes, I have both the 1010 Blackbox unit and the BeatSqueezer. Is there something in particular you want me to try out?
Yes just different synth samples tuned to the notes over a range (in those little boxes) so when the Melisma strums a chord, it will be made up of different samples but still in tune.
One of the most exciting things for me is the Select Bus function in combination with the Imprint. I have a Macromachines Omnimod module, which is a complex envelope generator. It listens to the Melisma's Select Bus changes, so I can have different envelopes getting recorded by the Imprint, for each Program on the Melisma. It's pretty amazing!
Where's Imprint going? Filters? That sounds interesting as it's predictable. I use the RIT_M sort of in that way, with it clocked and the Gate out to Melisma's Gate in which does the Imprint capture..then progressions to trigger chords so imprint stays the same for a while :)
I've been mulling over integrating the i2c protocol. I know you're not fond of it Sandrine :hihi: but I really want to get the Melisma to respond to the Teletype.
Talking with ascannerdarkly about generic ops on the Teletype that would work with any i2c-capable module.

Also adding MIDI input/output plugs in the next few days, to see if I can have the Melisma play nicely with the Befaco VCMC. Things are getting crazy here :party:
We need more stuff under MIDI control on the Melisma ;)
i2c to MIDI? Or CV? I'm wondering if this something I should consider adding to the Sequarallel's SD Card expansion...

Using the Melisma's LINK is a definite plus. Just for the remote alone, but also for merging without a merger :hyper:

User avatar
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 10861
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: the Terminal beach

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:44 am

Sandrine wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:50 am
Yes just different synth samples tuned to the notes over a range (in those little boxes) so when the Melisma strums a chord, it will be made up of different samples but still in tune.
But why does it have to be a sampler?
Sandrine wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:50 am
i2c to MIDI? Or CV? I'm wondering if this something I should consider adding to the Sequarallel's SD Card expansion...
Ideally I'd want to have Melisma be able to respond to i2c. Since the Melisma is able to control the Select Bus, if it could also receive i2c (via the pins I guess) it would act as a medium between i2c devices and the select bus. Nothing out there does that right now.

The idea is to be able to send i2c control messages to the Melisma. The Teletype acts as i2c master, and having generic operators in the Teletype means it will be able to work on any i2c capable devices. I'm imagining being able to tell the Melisma to change lists, change root notes, etc, and also switch Programs. Having set a Program to a specific Select Bus would also switch the bus for all devices slaving to the Melisma. It would act as a hub!

Since i2c is bi-directional, the Teletype could also request info from the Melisma such as root note, chord type, etc. Or, on second thought, I guess the generic operators would be MIDI focused, so we'd need the Melisma to open up its parameters to CC control, and accept i2c on the pins. Then the Teletype would ask for MIDI information. Not sure which way is best. What do you think?
Sandrine wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:50 am
Using the Melisma's LINK is a definite plus. Just for the remote alone, but also for merging without a merger :hyper:
I need a second Melisma for that :hihi: ;)
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

User avatar
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 10861
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: the Terminal beach

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:03 am

In the meantime, using the Melisma to channel some Ligeti

All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

User avatar
Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 10861
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: the Terminal beach

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:38 pm

Let me know if I'm hogging over the thread. Just wanted to show you that I got a MIDI expander for the Melisma. With the Melisma acting as a Master for the Select Bus, and the Program being changed via external MIDI, you have a lot of ways to go about programming your case:

All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”