Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by Sandrine » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:34 am

That first one was epic!
Is the expander that strip right next to the Melisma?
With the i2c, it requires a specific interface on the processor (which exists but not on the LINK port, that's isolated) so would be a no-go.
The only thing I don't like with the i2c is, apart from a possible mosfet buffer, the interface tends to be board level with lack of immunity to accidental over voltage and ES discharge etc. Taking that out to the front panel seems suicidal to me ;)
An interesting protocol would be i2c to bidirectional MIDI (via sysex I would imagine)That would open up a vast amoun of possibilities as long as the MIDI modules complied to the format

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:46 am

Sandrine wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:34 am
That first one was epic!
Is the expander that strip right next to the Melisma?
With the i2c, it requires a specific interface on the processor (which exists but not on the LINK port, that's isolated) so would be a no-go.
The only thing I don't like with the i2c is, apart from a possible mosfet buffer, the interface tends to be board level with lack of immunity to accidental over voltage and ES discharge etc. Taking that out to the front panel seems suicidal to me ;)
An interesting protocol would be i2c to bidirectional MIDI (via sysex I would imagine)That would open up a vast amoun of possibilities as long as the MIDI modules complied to the format
The expander module I'm using is a simple passive module from Manikk called Otto Passive Stereo. I explicitly asked Manikk to make a stereo version in order to be able to use it with the Melisma.

To the best of my knowledge i2c modules are connected via port in the back. Looks like an expander port most of the times, so no front panel connection. So i2c is out of the question? Damn, it would've been great. The only other way I can think of is opening up the Melisma to more CC control, and then making a ssmall standalone device that plugs into the i2c ports of modules that support it, and then to the pin and translate from i2c to MIDI. Sysex doesn't sound like a good option as it's ... well, exclusive. No way to make a generic i2c to MIDI operator work for everyone, no?
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon May 04, 2020 1:48 am

Sandrine wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:50 am
Yes just different synth samples tuned to the notes over a range (in those little boxes) so when the Melisma strums a chord, it will be made up of different samples but still in tune.
So, I sat down yesterday and fired up the Beatsqueezer. Unfortunately it seems that it uses the Arturia mapping, so no direct connection to the Melisma, but I'm using it in a weird way anyway (as is customary). Loaded up some prepared piano samples and other stuff and gave it a swirl. I've been planning to do this in a long time so thanks for the nudge!

I'll post some videos soon, I was too excited to make a video, got some really cool stuff without much patching or sequencing. Oh, and the spread works just fine! One thing that I love is using the Ladik Gatsby module right before the Gate input of the Melisma. That gives me easy control over the gate length which is pretty amazing when used in conjunction with the Spread function over samples.

I'm going to test how the recording of the CC works with the Beatsqueezer, it was a lot of CC parameters worth manipulating.

I actually need a second Melisma :hihi: :lol: !!

bgribble
Common Wiggler

Post by bgribble » Sun May 10, 2020 7:32 am

Really enjoying getting to know the Melisma. Sometimes, I must admi, it’s a bit of a mystery why it does exactly what it does! But always musical and interesting so I’m not too concerned ;)

Are there favorite “recipes” for using it that people have landed on? Right now I am using it in a fairly basic way for sustained organ chords with root and chord sequenced from Nerdseq and other parameters wiggled live. But the melodic ability is what initially attracted me and is the most fun to play with when connected to a piano-like instrument. Would love to know what other users are doing with it.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sun May 10, 2020 4:18 pm

bgribble wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:32 am
Really enjoying getting to know the Melisma. Sometimes, I must admi, it’s a bit of a mystery why it does exactly what it does! But always musical and interesting so I’m not too concerned ;)
Please let me know if there's something you need to clear up. I've promised to update the manual for Sandrine (although she's done an amazing job of explaining everything in detail), but with the whole situation I'm running late. So if anything in unclear or something seems cryptic, please ask here and I'll make sure to explain to the best of my abilities. I can also make a video of a function or I can suggest you look at the SDS Digital Youtube channel which has videos that go through all functions of the module in detail.
Are there favorite “recipes” for using it that people have landed on? Right now I am using it in a fairly basic way for sustained organ chords with root and chord sequenced from Nerdseq and other parameters wiggled live. But the melodic ability is what initially attracted me and is the most fun to play with when connected to a piano-like instrument. Would love to know what other users are doing with it.
Here's something different according to what you see most of the times. Not sure if it answers your question bgribble but it's based on what Sandrine asked for earlier on. I'm using a sampler that has pitched samples for each note, at the same time as external synths, to play piano notes. In this scenario I'm using gestural controllers (the Instrument of things 2.4 Sink) to provide the chord gate, type, spread, and also CC messages that control granular elements over the crotales sound of the sampler. The core functionality comes from the Melisma, the gestures (re: control) comes from the 2.4 Sink.

I'm going to be exploring this far more in the near future and posting more (not sure if people want me to keep posting about these experiments here or not but I do feel like providing examples of the Melisma in action helps showcase some ways of using it).

Let me know if you want other ideas as well, I have a lot! Please indulge yourself with other uses such as the LHand, or the internal Pause, or programming chord progressions and then using triggers to move through them, without having to use the Nerdseq to control root or chord type, maybe just the triggering. The module is very open to experimentation. Does the Nerdseq have MIDI input? Or MIDI output? The Melisma has a MIDI in ...

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Mon May 11, 2020 9:22 am

That was cool! Gesture control of the Melisma is something I hadn't considered. Interestingly gesture control has been in the forefront of my thoughts these days (will email you K on that) and use of the WiFiMIDI module with said iPhone AP and OSC configurations. But I digress!

I agree the Melisma is 50% triggering progressions rather than direct intentional / predicable CV control of roots and chords, which is fine also.
My favorite patch involves slowly triggering progressions (with CV control over windowing through a larger list) with a drone-like instrument on the chords, then something plucky on the LHAND channel, manipulating LHAND with chaotic signals like an LFO mix or even noise+LFO while clocked via ACLK gating series. The way LHAND reacts is very interesting, rhythmic, and melodic.
Patching over from the Sequarallel's CV outs (MIDI2CV Tracker sequencer in dev.) is another great way to add sparkle to a sequence it's playing. The CV out from the Sequar. TRAX tracker lane 1 (mostly) sends the root of it's chords, so if the Melisma's chord is set to be "diatonically" compatible with the Sequarallel's chords (or not!) the two meld very nicely. Using Lane 2 ( usually the melodic matcher) of a TRAX sequence chord, then the first inversion on the Melisma magically aligns them again!

One final mention is using Melisma Chord notes (or Arp) on the Sequarallel's remote MIDI transpose channel (full range) is out of this world! The Sequar's sequence transposes to each chord note being sent from the Melisma and if the Sequar's progression is a fairly fast (like and arp) very cool progression ensue.

That's my happy rant!

bgribble
Common Wiggler

Post by bgribble » Mon May 11, 2020 3:19 pm

Thanks for the tips! The gesture control really does look cool. I am continuing to experiment and have gotten some really nice stuff out using LHAND and a LFO or sequenced EXPAND input. Also some very jazzy feels when doing a rhythmic LFO into SPREAD so that it alternates between comping and arp-melodies.

One thing I am finding with CV input into the CHORD is that the response to CV seems pretty finicky. I have to crank the knob all the way CW to allow me to reach the last chord on the chord list (makes sense, it's documented to be an attenuator) but even so I have to pad the chord list with an extra unused chord (otherwise higher CV values just seem wrap around and I get the major chord, which is the first in my list). Maybe this is a calibration issue?

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Wed May 13, 2020 8:31 am

bgribble wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:19 pm
Thanks for the tips! The gesture control really does look cool. I am continuing to experiment and have gotten some really nice stuff out using LHAND and a LFO or sequenced EXPAND input. Also some very jazzy feels when doing a rhythmic LFO into SPREAD so that it alternates between comping and arp-melodies.

One thing I am finding with CV input into the CHORD is that the response to CV seems pretty finicky. I have to crank the knob all the way CW to allow me to reach the last chord on the chord list (makes sense, it's documented to be an attenuator) but even so I have to pad the chord list with an extra unused chord (otherwise higher CV values just seem wrap around and I get the major chord, which is the first in my list). Maybe this is a calibration issue?
Yes the Spread quantized is my personal favorite, then vary the CV with a sequencer :tu:
This sounds like a pre-V1.2 issue.. http://www.freshnelly.com/melisma/melisma.htm#SUPPORT
When you power up is there a screen logo (SDS DIgital & K with us girls happy faces) splash? If not you need to update the firmware, also V.1.2 is displayed.

eewee
Common Wiggler

Post by eewee » Sat May 23, 2020 9:19 am

Just spent a few days off making two 2hp MIDI jack expanders: one for the Melisma's LINK pins, and another one for the Expert Sleepers General CV MIDI IO. And sugar on top: with switches that convert between MIDI A and B style. So now I'm just a simple patch cable away from connecting the Melisma and the General CV, or whatever else that comes with a MIDI jack.

And because there's always room for error, I had to break out the MIDI debugger just because I'd left the velocity on the Melisma set to zero...
Why, say she now, is I not glean that one may say of thing while thing is not.
(Alan Moore, Voice of the Fire)

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sat May 23, 2020 6:42 pm

eewee wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:19 am
Just spent a few days off making two 2hp MIDI jack expanders: one for the Melisma's LINK pins, and another one for the Expert Sleepers General CV MIDI IO. And sugar on top: with switches that convert between MIDI A and B style. So now I'm just a simple patch cable away from connecting the Melisma and the General CV, or whatever else that comes with a MIDI jack.

And because there's always room for error, I had to break out the MIDI debugger just because I'd left the velocity on the Melisma set to zero...
Right on! That's ingenuity! Believe it or not I have done the velocity thing too, twice (had to laugh)
BTW Melisma's link can drive 2 MIDI things

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sun May 24, 2020 1:40 am

Sandrine wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:42 pm
Say what now?

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sun May 24, 2020 9:44 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:40 am
Sandrine wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:42 pm
Say what now?
The LINK out can be split into 2. I do it all the time. The front panel too of course with a "Y". You didn't know that?

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:59 pm

I have been using a Copper Traces Seek to change the root chord, and occasionally, the pattern deviates from normal as if a wrong note has been sent. At first, I thought it was a problem with the random also on the Seek, but now I think the problem may have something to do with the Melisma. While I do not know the voltage range for the note output from the Seek, I suspect it isn’t -5V to +5V. Could this cause a slight drift? Also, could I have hit something on the Melisma? Is there a way to initialize the patch? Sorry, I haven’t had time to carefully read the manual!

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:22 pm

kwaidan wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:59 pm
I have been using a Copper Traces Seek to change the root chord, and occasionally, the pattern deviates from normal as if a wrong note has been sent. At first, I thought it was a problem with the random also on the Seek, but now I think the problem may have something to do with the Melisma. While I do not know the voltage range for the note output from the Seek, I suspect it isn’t -5V to +5V. Could this cause a slight drift? Also, could I have hit something on the Melisma? Is there a way to initialize the patch? Sorry, I haven’t had time to carefully read the manual!
Is this CV control (I assume) of the Root? If so the CV may be lagging a bit. Try changing the Melisma's GATE DELAY up a bit. I personally experience this with the BSP on sample players or any CV2MIDI as it's CV has a lot of slew.
The Melisma has the Gate Delay setting to deeal with this >> Page 16: Global Settings and Utilities
It's default is 2mS, so try 3 or 4, probably 3 if it's just every once in a while
Cheers!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”