Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

cliffemu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cliffemu » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:45 pm

This looks really nice. I'm just trying to think of something tiny and capable to plug the midi out into. Even the Waldorf Streichfett looks huge compared to most eurorack modules, but it would nicely allow for the LHAND part and has onboard fx...

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:40 pm

cliffemu wrote:This looks really nice. I'm just trying to think of something tiny and capable to plug the midi out into. Even the Waldorf Streichfett looks huge compared to most eurorack modules, but it would nicely allow for the LHAND part and has onboard fx...
I'll have to check that one out! Strings are wonderful with the Melisma (I like pianissimo on the chords and a bowed string on LHAND drifting around the range)

Sometimes I use my MidiPlus MiniEngine Pro. It's a GM type synth but uses a newer Dream (France) chip so it sounds quite good. I've been thinking on putting it on a 16HP panel blank but the plugs need to go in the top so it needs clearance there.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:12 am

Here's a short video on Melisma user lists. Covered are
-CV Chord Lists
-Root Progression Lists
-Chord progression Lists

[video][/video]

Accessing the lists is pretty intuitive but it must be known that the progression lists are selected together (not shown in video) so if selecting progression list #2, both the Root and Chord progression lists are loaded together even though one may not be used at the time.
This way they always remain associated

Also, in the final version, between list elements (for insertion) a little line will appear across from the arrow to better indicate

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:00 am

diffrentstrolks wrote:Re: select bus-- it's the future I tells you! Albeit, maybe an alternate future, but the word future is in there nonetheless.

I was mostly interested in the Melisma being able to save/recall via the select bus-- preset management across multiple modules via the bus.

So, if I have a patch rolling with a few Disting MK4s, a Melisma, and Omnimod, etc... and I like where all my menus are for each respective module; I can just ask the select bus master to "save all," and any module listing (slave) will save those menu settings for future recall and use.

Basically, a system-wide save bank vs. an individual module save. There's probably more to the protocol than I understand, but that was my initial thinking (and maybe the thinking of other developers who've tried to feature the bus?)
Bus control is just a CC message on the bus of the case, so it shouldn't be that difficult to implement. Sandrine the protocol is readily available, in one of the links provided. What do you think?

What might be of more interest would be to be able to utilize the CC input of the Melisma to change presets and have the Melisma also act as a master, to be able to change presets via CV control :hmm:

As we speak, there are not enough modules that can act as masters. Or at least, there are not enough modules that act solely as Save/Load/Preset modules for the Control Bus. Namely the original Macro Machines module is not available anymore, and all the other options (Malekko, Makenoise, etc) are not dedicated to the task, they are big sequencers. The only one I know of is the option to utilize an external MIDI controller and use the module offering by Expert Sleepers.

There ought to be a 2-4hp dedicated controller module that does this but there isn't. I'm not sure whether the Disting can act as a master, I know it's a slave, but let's be honest here, that's a bad use for such a module and the UI is not there for quick save/load options. Personally I'd prefer something in 2hp.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:54 pm

Ah the Melisma as a master, OK!
That makes sense now, and making select bus an option of use for the CC input is brilliant!

I guess linking (optionally again) the CC CV input's control over saved global "states" of the Melisma -or- just user lists (each opted in) would make sense.

The global states (which would supersede all others if set) saved would include settings..
LHAND sync source
Zero notes
MIDI channels and settings (except CC!)
Progression User Lists
Chord List
Velocity curve etc
Inversion & expand options

There would probably need to be a select bus "quick box" added for fast access and if the CC input is being used for something else (which also means each "Select" should have the CC switched to Select bus control?)

All in all this would also be useful without the select bus, if used globally.. so I approve it ;)

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:50 am

Ugg!
Beatstep Pro has 4mS CV slew after the gate it sends, that's terrible! Was trying to use it for a video the other day and kept having to set the Melisma's gate delay further back, wow that's quite a bit. Verified it on the scope hmmm

The thing with setting the gate delay (in any module) in settings is forgetting to switch it back so there ends up being a permanent latency until I remember to set it back down.

As they say "necessity is the mother of invention" so I decided to make a variable gate delay module that turned into a multi-function (as all my module do!) 3 HP'er. It's open source so I'll be posting a video on that in the DIY forum, and probably here too because several of it's modes use the Melisma for demonstration :tu:

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:46 am

Sandrine wrote:As they say "necessity is the mother of invention" so I decided to make a variable gate delay module that turned into a multi-function (as all my module do!) 3 HP'er. It's open source so I'll be posting a video on that in the DIY forum, and probably here too because several of it's modes use the Melisma for demonstration :tu:
:mrgreen: :hihi: :yay:

7on5on8on3
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 7on5on8on3 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:47 pm

Can't wait for the melisma, in the mean time here are some thoughts for expansions...

as I use eurorack for odd timing I can't do using a midi clock the melisma will enable me to use midi gear. Im imaging an expander that allows you to send different gates/arps/lhand stuff to multiple devices/midi channels, but all with the same base chord/root. Could there be expanders to allow this? Or even the ability to send an additional lhand on another midi channel, a second lhand, for those with two left hand, or three or four even.

What might be simpler is if there's a midi channel that always sends a chord even if the melsima is set to send arps, so that you get the chord on one channel, the arp on another. A string pad with some piano arps for example.

Even if none of this is possible (I don't completely get how midi works), the melisma still looks ace and I'm totally saving up for one!

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:21 pm

7on5on8on3 wrote:Can't wait for the melisma, in the mean time here are some thoughts for expansions...

as I use eurorack for odd timing I can't do using a midi clock the melisma will enable me to use midi gear. Im imaging an expander that allows you to send different gates/arps/lhand stuff to multiple devices/midi channels, but all with the same base chord/root. Could there be expanders to allow this? Or even the ability to send an additional lhand on another midi channel, a second lhand, for those with two left hand, or three or four even.

What might be simpler is if there's a midi channel that always sends a chord even if the melsima is set to send arps, so that you get the chord on one channel, the arp on another. A string pad with some piano arps for example.

Even if none of this is possible (I don't completely get how midi works), the melisma still looks ace and I'm totally saving up for one!
I believe the Melisma could send Arp on one channel and chords on another.. while arping. Interesting idea that!
The LHAND already can be on a different channel (as sent from the Melisma's MIDI jack) and with the expansion would certainly have it's own CV+gate channel.

On the expansion there will be a MIDI-merge (in and out) that can selectively merge a separate MIDI input to the Melisma. The MIDI out on the expansion would also do this but can be configured to output LHAND only (so that can be to a different synth that may only have global receive)

The CV outputs would be of course separate as well.

We have also already considered the possibility that 2 Melisma modules could be connected together via the same bus through the expansion module. ..which would offer more LHAND's hehe

I'm not sure how big the expansion module will be yet, I've tossed around quite a few variations, but we'd like to keep it within reason ;)

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:20 am

Here's a video featuring a fun little module fresh off the grille called "Gate Crash". It's an open source DIY module that is used with the Melisma in several modes.

Time Shortcuts to each mode are:
A. 0-Dual Gate Delay Mode 3:10 <<Melisma @ 5:20
B. 1-Dual Long Delay Mode 6:28
C. 2-Dual Clock Divider Mode 9:44 <<Melisma @ 11:30
D. 3-Dual Gate Recorder/Looper Mode 13:43
E. 4-Logic Mode 15:33
F. 5-Dual Variable Gate Length Mode 17:41
G. 6-Dual Burst Pulse Generator 21:33 <<Melisma @ 23:30 Arp Bursts
H. 7-Dual Preset Gate Sequences Mode 24:26 <<Melisma

[video][/video]

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:21 pm

I have been working on an experimental new module called the "Sequarallel" that is a modularized version of a deep project I completed last winter called the Pedal7.
The Pedal7 is, as the name suggests, a 7 pedal controller/Sequencer...

Primarily to control a TC Helicon VoiceLive Touch 2 with MIDI sequences and a built in Sample player. Suffice to say it's an amazing piece of kit for performing!

Anyway, the Sequarallel module outputs 4 channels of Gate/Velocity/CV, a clock I/O, 3 CC-CV outputs, + MIDI I/O. It has it's own display (same size as the Melisma) to make it easy to use.
It can Record MIDI from a DAW sequencer (ableton, FL Studio, Reaper, Cubase, Hardware keyboard) then Loop it at set locations, sequencing under clock control and output the modular signals as chords, individual channels, or just 12 triggers. It can record up to 90 minutes of MIDI sequences and loop points and notes can be edited on the panel.

The reason I have mentioned all this is the "Live" mode of the Sequarallel. It can connect to the Melisma via MIDI to output all of the CV's & gates etc.
Then I got to thinking, why not integrate the two into the Melisma module? That way the outputs can be MIDI or Gate/CV's and with the record ability integrated could be a powerful sequencer module indeed!
Strangely, I have been using this sequencer to play the Melisma, making it full circle -MIDI recorded to play G/CV to Melisma to output to a MIDI synth in it's unique way + a couple of VCO's.

I am right at the precipice of finalizing the Melisma's PCB design (with the more powerful processor) so, apart from parts which would also be used the same way, I haven't made the commitment for the final product.

There are some disadvantages to this direction though:
-Size. It would be certainly 16 HP (each is 8HP)
-Cost. It's going to be at least $300
-Time. This will delay the release of course!
-Some may want to keep them separate

The advantages are obvious:
Integration. No latency, Direct control from one side to the other
Display. More space on the MIDI-CV side because same display (if do)
I/O. CV, Gate, trigger, clock, MIDI I/O makes this a great interface hub between modular and MIDI/DAW

It's just a thought. :hmm: -and I'll test it with the Melisma to see what could be added and what's useful in the upcoming days.

Cheers!

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:12 am

One more downside is that it will require more menu-diving / the menu system will be more convoluted. Even though I'm interested in the Sequarallel module ( :hyper: ) I think they ought to be separate.

Let's not forget that there's a lot of people with Yarns and/or other MIDI-to-CV modules out there already, whereas Melisma's features are unique. Nothing like it!

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:43 am

I agree with Paranormal Patroler.

davide3737
Common Wiggler

Post by davide3737 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:10 am

Less is more: keep it simple, avoid menu-diving and resist never-ending embellishments.

Looks ideal to go with the 4ms Spherical Wavetable Navigator in 6 voice mode.

A kit would be good, but perhaps there's too much SMD.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:22 am

OK we'll leave it alone!
@Paranormal Patroler NO MENU DIVING is the word
BTW I'm still waiting for those stereo jacks from Thonk, it's been a month now. I hope they come soon :confused:

@davide3737 Yes it will be a kit but probably not bare board as you are right there's quite a bit of SMD. The first run will not be kit, but the following will be.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:01 am

I'm still working on the Sequarallel with the ultimate goal of connecting to the Melisma to out 4 CV channels but also to record sequences into Loops.

I did up a short video while testing..

[video][/video]

..when not playing a sequence, the MIDI in is live to the Gate+CV+Velocity

As long as the Channels source matches the channels in modes in the Sequarallel it will output up to 4 notes of a chord.

The selectable mappings are 1+1+1+1 which requires 4 channels (not for chords so much), 3+1, which is 3 notes on one channel and 1 note on another (perfect for the Melisma chord+LHAND), 2+2, and All 4 outputs on one channel.

The "Note order" setting is comprised of TIME, where notes are CV'd in the order they are received (i.e. CV 1 would output all arps), RANGE, where notes that fall into ranges will play through the coresponding CV output, and CYCLE, where notes rotate through the CV outputs (this can be interesting with Spread on the Melisma)

On 2+2, cycle mode rotates on the upper two, while the lower two are set to random order.

The CC jacks seem useless with the Melisma, but if recording, a modulation can be fed into the CC jack on the Melisma and will be recorded along with the rest.

Other Features...
"Quick Boxes"
Like the Melisma, this module uses on-screen buttons we dubbed Quick Boxes. (Konstantine's idea!) They are quick. The encoder scrolls down through them, then press to select/toggle, as you'll see in the video.
Some of these when held upon for 1.5 seconds will open a related list (i.e. dial Channel Mode to 1+1+1+1, hold encoder down, and an editable list of 4 MIDI channels opens)

-Edit- Removed this function. It was hard to play with any coherence and would ruin an otherwise great sequence. see below
Overdub
The Sequarallel has the ability to do channel Over-Dub. The idea is to patch a MIDI keyboard into the MIDI input while a sequence is playing through the Gates/CV's so that chords played on the keyboard modify the notes on the same channel in the sequencer without changing the pattern.

This is powerful because a set # of bars is recorded, then switches to play/modify no matter which Loop is sequencing (A sequence can be broken up into loops). The new chords can also be transposed, disabled to return to original notes, and re-enabled.

-OD replaced with "Remote" giving control (when turned on) of transpose from a MIDI keyboard or other MIDI source +/-48 notes. There's also Play/Stop, and will slave to a MIDI clock. I am deciding on Pitch Bend and PC selecting loops, jury is out!

Auto-Rec
Automation (transpose, Loop on/off, JumpTo, switching channel mappings, chord order, even over-dub,) can be added for any amount of time which adds yet another dimension to how the sequences play.
Used with "REmote" above the transpose changes will also be recorded

CV Selected Loops
When being clocked by a modular clock bus, the Clock output becomes useless, so turns into a CV input for selecting Loops or bars(if no loop points) This selection is over the range of 0 to 5V so if there's only 2 Loops, then a digital signal would sselect one or the other. Changes are time quantized to the Loop or Bar points of course.

So there it is. Once the prototype programming is complete, I'll make a proper video on it. The take-away thus far has been figuring out better & faster ways to handle certain internal I/O, particularly to do with the OLED display. These methods can be applied to the Melisma increasin it's sleekness as well!

The reason I am searching for another module is that it could be manufactured at the same time, on the same rail PCB, as the Melisma. I have noticed the larger PCB's tend to have less silk screen damage than their smaller counterparts, plus the cost becomes quite a bit less (split setup charges, split PNP setup charges etc)

Sorry about the long post, it's all so exciting! :hyper:

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:43 am

As mentioned in the edit above, I have removed the OverDub feature from the Sequarallel. It just ruined great sequences so why have it?
Interestingly though, I have added an alternate sequence record mode and found a method to properly record the Melisma:

Holding the P & S button arms record (as the panel indicates)
The clockout is patched to everything controlling the Melisma so essentially is the master clock
Assuming a BPM has been set, pressing the "P" button will start the record, clock output, and the Melisma inputs.
The stop time will quantize to the next bar.

I will show this in a video, it's pretty cool!

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:46 pm

Once K gets back to testing the Melisma and we can finalize the design, we'll get back to posting on that! The thread is after all for the Melisma ha ha!

The Sequarallel deserves it's own thread though really

Anyway, here's a much clearer looking video on Loop Markers (magic notes):

[video][/video]

From YT:
This week (now the 3rd) started of with getting the Loop Markers working. I like to call them "Magic's" from when I designed the Pedal-7, so magic notes (Note #121) inserted anywhere in the longer sequences or songs become the Loop points rather than bars.

In this video the Transposing is easier because there's more time. Each Magic is 2 bars apart in the 16 bar sequence making 7 total possible. The start and end of the sequence is also used so really there's 8 loop markers.

The JumpTo quick-box (button) can be used to jump over to other loops as 0=start of sequence, 1=first marker etc. but is bar quantized still so longer loops can be escaped from to allow a "bridge" or "fill" using drumming terms, or a refrain / alternate in musical terms.
JumpTo will be in the next video as it wasn't completed at the time of shooting. ;)

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:07 am

Sequarallel is up on the grid https://www.modulargrid.net/e/sds-digital-sequarallel

Hope to get Melisma up later today!

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:30 am

The Accord Melisma is up on MG!
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/sds-digit ... rd-melisma

I kept it simple :)

After spending some time with the Melisma patched over to the Sequarallel, they certainly would benefit from being linked behind the panel, even if only via MIDI. I have already added a link on the Melisma final that basically sends & receives MIDI, so this could be used with other modules as well with some minor DIY'ing.

The plan is the Sequarallel's MIDI input is sent, via the link, at all times and the Melisma merges it with it's MIDI output at all times.
The Melisma's 2nd MIDI output is also sent via the link to the Sequarallel to produce CV outputs and MIDI output from the panel front. This output can be blocked (as is already setup for) on certain channels if desired.

Each module can send SYSEX requests on the link to discover each other, so they'll know they're linked for any special info i.e. channel arrangement changes ect

I think this is a great solution as it adds the ability to "live audition" MIDI sequence compositions to be recorded to the Sequarallel via the Melisma's MIDI output.

The Select bus (PSU ribbon) master (still under scrutiny) status of the Melisma is on a completely different port so will operate independently (probably with a "quick box" button) and has very little overhead :)

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:01 pm

:hail: :hail: :hail:

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:37 am

I could use this to make a bunch of small sequences, arrange them and transpose them in real time from another pitch source?

I was imagining using this with a few melodies programmed in while I have a sequencer doing a backing track and another sequencer tell the Accord Melisma what pitch to transpose to...

trying to figure out whether I want this or the sequarrel or both to do what I am imagining.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:55 am

sutekina bipu-on wrote:I could use this to make a bunch of small sequences, arrange them and transpose them in real time from another pitch source?

I was imagining using this with a few melodies programmed in while I have a sequencer doing a backing track and another sequencer tell the Accord Melisma what pitch to transpose to...

trying to figure out whether I want this or the sequarrel or both to do what I am imagining.
The Sequarallel on it's own would be the one to do that
I guess I hadn't mentioned it here but the Clock out, when not receiving MIDI or self-clocking a sequence is an input (need to add an arrow on the panel there) that can be set to jump to different loops, change Channel modes, or transpose upward.

So put all of the sequences into the Sequarallel as one sequence with loop markers, then clock them as usual, use the clock out jack input to transpose and use the JumpTo box to select them.
All of this is bar quantized so would flow nicely

Transpose can also be controlled with any MIDI keyboard or controller (like a BSP) if you wanted a more hands on option

Another way would be to just use The Sequarallel as I said but with a CV adder / offest to transpose if only single note melodies...

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:32 pm

Sandrine wrote:
sutekina bipu-on wrote:I could use this to make a bunch of small sequences, arrange them and transpose them in real time from another pitch source?

The Sequarallel on it's own would be the one to do that
I guess I hadn't mentioned it here but the Clock out, when not receiving MIDI or self-clocking a sequence is an input (need to add an arrow on the panel there) that can be set to jump to different loops, change Channel modes, or transpose upward.

So put all of the sequences into the Sequarallel as one sequence with loop markers, then clock them as usual, use the clock out jack input to transpose and use the JumpTo box to select them.
All of this is bar quantized so would flow nicely

Transpose can also be controlled with any MIDI keyboard or controller (like a BSP) if you wanted a more hands on option

Another way would be to just use The Sequarallel as I said but with a CV adder / offest to transpose if only single note melodies...
Thank you Sandy1 I gotta go grab a Sequarrel then. And I can see now that using it in conjuction with my Liveloop Reflex will be a blast :yay:

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:11 am

Ha ha there's so,ething else I haven't really had a chance to try it with the Reflex...and...

This brings up an interesting thought on controlling the Melisma with CV's from the Sequarallel, something I also have not tried yet!
Patch Seq's row 1 CV & Gate (and velocity) over to Melisma's Root & gate inputs. Then patch Seq's row 2 CV into Melisma's chord input.

More could be patched over too. Hook up MIDI from DAW soft to compose the chord sequences in real time, then record them in.

The Melisma's other inputs like spread, Hold, ACLK, inversion, and expand, can all be rack controlled but the Roots and progressions are sent from the Sequarallel....which could have it's loops selected by CV

MIDI to control MIDI :)
With the two linked behind panel, the Sequarallel's other MIDI outputs (ie channels, percussion) would be merged with Melisma's MIDI output at it's MID out jack. wew!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”