Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:14 pm

Severed head wrote:64 chords?

can you explain that ?
im hoping you mean 64 various chord structures.

and not something like 64 chords over 12 tonics
That means 64 chords in the list you scroll through to select chords for your lists.
They start out as triads in the list and progress up to 7 note chords in a logical order. Some chords span 2 octaves in their natural form. (Before expanding)

Then the low & high range "window" can be set on your list so only some are used for CV or progression selection.

Severed head
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Severed head » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:01 pm

Sandrine wrote:
Severed head wrote:64 chords?

can you explain that ?
im hoping you mean 64 various chord structures.

and not something like 64 chords over 12 tonics
That means 64 chords in the list you scroll through to select chords for your lists.
They start out as triads in the list and progress up to 7 note chords in a logical order. Some chords span 2 octaves in their natural form. (Before expanding)

Then the low & high range "window" can be set on your list so only some are used for CV or progression selection.
sorry im still confused

so your sayin if my incoming value is say any value that results in a C tonic. the outgoing result values can be any of 64 different C chord built from 3-7notes ?

or

are you saying no mater what the incoming value is (A,A#,B,C,C#D,D#E,F,F#G tonic) it can then only be output in 64 different chord values built from 3-7note?

so I guess what im asking
are the 64 chords created from the incoming tonic value ?
or
are there only 64 different chords over all 12 tonics(which would break down to roughly like 5-6 chord per tonic, ie 5-6 A chords, 5-6 G chords etc etc)?
WTB: modules, MA35 filter.
:help:

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:34 am

Currently there are 64 chord types (not chords, chord types), but there are plans to add more. The tonic of the chord can be separate to the chord type. There are different ways to sequence your progression, several of which have the root note of the chord and the type of the chord as separate parameters.

Does that answer your question?
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Severed head
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Severed head » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:41 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:Does that answer your question?
not really I think its a just a written conversation error,
as ive rarely bought anything new and online purchase in only a few years deep for me so I have a hard time time understanding gear though manual & written documentation, were I really learned how to use devices & instruments(electronic ones mostly) through just picking it up an pressing buttons turning knobs and plugging any/everything to every/anything until I could remember how to create/recreate sound with it.

but I watched the vid more closely. with that question in mind and seem to have realized the answer to what I was asking as I was Mrs.Understanding

so what I gathered:

1. there is no general input Tonic/root, but rather a Gate that triggers the selected Chord which determines the root/tonic

2. there are 64 chords to select from (more too come!!!) to send to the output (in various list/seq settings), although only one chord can be triggered at a time, to a degree you can layer the chords on top of one another through various knob settings or CV to layer out 40 notes/output values
was I understanding that correctly?
if so although you can't (from my understanding) select which 40 notes to a degree you can by selecting the chords order/progression
which at 40 notes layered would produce a seemingly infinitely variable output of chords / types or what ever,

3. for the root the -/+ 24 notes ill assume this is through the note in an octave range not microtonal notes?

4. I didn't see a chromatic chord?
which I know isn't a thing. to me I think would be a very interesting feature when hitting an arpeggio's, sorta like being able to slide your hand all they way up the keys of a piano or hiding a note on the 21st fret and sliding all the way down to open or bending up a note. maybe this is achievable through a slew/glide type setting and I just didn't notice it in the vid. maybe the spread knob would be useful in that scenario too.

5. I dont & haven't ever use anything that run/connects/operates through midi and tbh haven't ever looked in to know how midi works or what its actually doing
just from observation ive gathered if you plug a midi devices up to your DAW or app you can create a midi map or directions so to say that isn't any sound but rather a set of information that is sent to a sound source either soft or hardware that interprets the info and translates it into an output sound, right?.
so in regards to this module, I see that the only out put jack says "midi out" being so ignorant to midi works can someone fill me in on how this would work in a euro system that doesnt have any sorta connection to a computer?,
im guessing some way theres modules that can receive and understand the midi data and out part the poly sound ?

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:56 am

Severed head wrote: there is no general input Tonic/root, but rather a Gate that triggers the selected Chord which determines the root/tonic
There's a V/Oct input for the tonic. There are different ways to address the tonic, you can have it programmed in a list and then trigger the module to move to the next tonic, or you can use CV to define what the tonic is.
there are 64 chords to select from (more too come!!!) to send to the output (in various list/seq settings), although only one chord can be triggered at a time,
There are 64 chord types to select from, with more chord types coming. An example of a chord type is a major chord (specifically a trichord) ; that is a type of chord. A C major chord is a specific chord (trichord), that belongs to the major type. So we have 64 chord types (major, minor, major 7th, etc), included for now. All typical and some non typical chords are included.
to a degree you can layer the chords on top of one another through various knob settings or CV to layer out 40 notes/output values
if so although you can't (from my understanding) select which 40 notes to a degree you can by selecting the chords order/progression
which at 40 notes layered would produce a seemingly infinitely variable output of chords / types or what ever,
I have no idea how you got the impression that you can layer up to 40 notes. That is not correct. There are different parameters that determine how many notes can be played at the same time, including what your synthesizer (plugged at the receiving end of the Melisma's output) can play at the same time. So I am not going to get into more details here, you'll have to wait for the documentation to come out when the time comes.
3. for the root the -/+ 24 notes ill assume this is through the note in an octave range not microtonal notes?
The Melisma outputs MIDI so the root note is based on the MIDI specification.

The MIDI specification is not microtonal unless you add pitch bend messages to determine non-12-tet notes. I will not go into the details of how MIDI works because that's beside the point of this thread and it's been explained in detail in the internet in general and in books about MIDI. Melisma adheres to a V/Oct at the pitch input and MIDI specification at the output.

which I know isn't a thing. to me I think would be a very interesting feature when hitting an arpeggio's, sorta like being able to slide your hand all they way up the keys of a piano or hiding a note on the 21st fret and sliding all the way down to open or bending up a note. maybe this is achievable through a slew/glide type setting and I just didn't notice it in the vid. maybe the spread knob would be useful in that scenario too.
There's a limit the number of notes contained in a chord. This limit is at 7 notes so a chromatic chord would be out of the question plus it would only be useful if you're playing Stravinsky pieces. I get the arpeggio idea but that's easy to achieve with any CV-to-MIDI module (including Melisma) that is not focused on chords - I'm a big fan of non-standard chords (as Sandrine will atest) but adding chromatic chords is besides the point, especially since you can do what you're asking for using either the LHand function or the V/Oct input to just play all the notes in the chromatic scale if that's what you're going for.

So to answer your question in the simplest way possible: if you're looking to move across all the notes of the chromatic scale like in a glissando, you can, in a monophonic fashion, using those aspects of the module that allow for a monophonic movement of a note. There is no chromatic chord added and there are no plans to add it, as it's a big outlier in terms of usefulness. Pitch bend is implemented so you could go crazy by bending a note if that's what you want. I suggest you read up on how Pitch Bend works (see below)!
so in regards to this module, I see that the only out put jack says "midi out" being so ignorant to midi works can someone fill me in on how this would work in a euro system that doesnt have any sorta connection to a computer?,
im guessing some way theres modules that can receive and understand the midi data and out part the poly sound ?
You can plug the MIDI output to any device with a MIDI input, such as hardware synthesizers, modules that also accept MIDI inputs, and other such devices, and use the Melisma, and by extension your modular system, to sequence these devices. The Melisma, and all CV-to-MIDI devices are essentially translators of the voltage into MIDI messages. Where you'd use MIDI messages, you can now use voltage instead using the Melisma.

MIDI is a communication protocol that allows polyphonic control of synthesizers. It's everywhere, including your phone, or even lighting systems in theater. You can read more about it here: MIDI!

It's a beautiful protocol made in the 80's and it's still around because it nailed down a lot of things even though it has some limitations.

Severed head
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Severed head » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:25 pm

Thanks for the details response.
Seem like an interesting module
Being as I dont MIDI it may be under utilized for in my studio.
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Severed head wrote: there is no general input Tonic/root, but rather a Gate that triggers the selected Chord which determines the root/tonic
There's a V/Oct input for the tonic. There are different ways to address the tonic, you can have it programmed in a list and then trigger the module to move to the next tonic, or you can use CV to define what the tonic is.

I must have not caught the v/oct in feature in the vids but was think there must be something like that..
Paranormal Patroler wrote: there are 64 chords to select from (more too come!!!) to send to the output (in various list/seq settings), although only one chord can be triggered at a time,
There are 64 chord types to select from, with more chord types coming. An example of a chord type is a major chord (specifically a trichord) ; that is a type of chord. A C major chord is a specific chord (trichord), that belongs to the major type. So we have 64 chord types (major, minor, major 7th, etc), included for now. All typical and some non typical chords are included.

theoretical speaking “chord qualities”
to a degree you can layer the chords on top of one another through various knob settings or CV to layer out 40 notes/output values
I have no idea how you got the impression that you can layer up to 40 notes. That is not correct. There are different parameters that determine how many notes can be played at the same time, including what your synthesizer (plugged at the receiving end of the Melisma's output) can play at the same time. So I am not going to get into more details here, you'll have to wait for the documentation to come out when the time comes.

“Up to 40 note on’s can be in the cue so overlapping different chords and note lengths is a very interesting possibility”
2m 11sec
Obviously im mrs understanding that.
Paranormal Patroler wrote: 3. for the root the -/+ 24 notes ill assume this is through the note in an octave range not microtonal notes?
The Melisma outputs MIDI so the root note is based on the MIDI specification.

The MIDI specification is not microtonal unless you add pitch bend messages to determine non-12-tet notes. I will not go into the details of how MIDI works because that's beside the point of this thread and it's been explained in detail in the internet in general and in books about MIDI. Melisma adheres to a V/Oct at the pitch input and MIDI specification at the output.
I G
There's a limit the number of notes contained in a chord. This limit is at 7 notes so a chromatic chord would be out of the question plus it would only be useful if you're playing Stravinsky pieces. I get the arpeggio idea but that's easy to achieve with any CV-to-MIDI module (including Melisma) that is not focused on chords - I'm a big fan of non-standard chords (as Sandrine will atest) but adding chromatic chords is besides the point, especially since you can do what you're asking for using either the LHand function or the V/Oct input to just play all the notes in the chromatic scale if that's what you're going for.

So to answer your question in the simplest way possible: if you're looking to move across all the notes of the chromatic scale like in a glissando, you can, in a monophonic fashion, using those aspects of the module that allow for a monophonic movement of a note. There is no chromatic chord added and there are no plans to add it, as it's a big outlier in terms of usefulness. Pitch bend is implemented so you could go crazy by bending a note if that's what you want. I suggest you read up on how Pitch Bend works (see below)!

again dont use midi so I really wouldnt have any Idea how to achieve this with midi, and I sorta assumed there was a way to achieve this with the module. Just was thinking out loud as they say so something that would be be an interesting way to use the module. As its also a pretty easy thing to accomplish with out midi. With a sequence, quantizer, quality vco, a few mod source and offsets.
You can plug the MIDI output to any device with a MIDI input, such as hardware synthesizers, modules that also accept MIDI inputs, and other such devices, and use the Melisma, and by extension your modular system, to sequence these devices. The Melisma, and all CV-to-MIDI devices are essentially translators of the voltage into MIDI messages. Where you'd use MIDI messages, you can now use voltage instead using the Melisma.

MIDI is a communication protocol that allows polyphonic control of synthesizers. It's everywhere, including your phone, or even lighting systems in theater. You can read more about it here: MIDI!

It's a beautiful protocol made in the 80's and it's still around because it nailed down a lot of things even though it has some limitations.
I won’t be researching midi, but I do see how it is useful for others, just ive seen the workflow and its not of interest to me.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:22 am

Thanks PP for the explanations, very concise as always :tu:

I thought I'd chime in on the 40 notes misunderstanding...for others that do use MIDI.
What that means is that as Gates are triggering new chords, notes are playing according to the Spread delay like a strum. If the Spread is slow enough, notes created may not have played yet.
If the gate is 4 times per second, and the chords being played are 5 notes each, and the Spread is 2 seconds, then each gate's chord will take 8 seconds to play all of it's notes.
After almost 2 seconds there will be 8 chords in with 4 notes each left to play. That's 32 notes in the buffer that haven't played yet.
The buffer can hold up to 40 notes.

On MIDI...

Some people don't like MIDI and I can understand that, especially after having experienced DAW "VST Burn-in" in the early 2000's, (I did!) modular is a fresh perspective. But because MIDI is so versatile in polyphony it's worthwhile pursuing it even in a modular system.
There are loads of MIDI2CV convertors out there that allow patching for polyphony without the complex network and difficult management of dynamically sequencing multiple VCO's in a cohesive, interesting, and variable way.
The Melisma becomes the core of poly note control in a very dynamic and easy to manipulate real time method. This method creates sequences of chords that would be difficult to achieve in a standard sequencer patch, thus allows more classical, dynamic, and less repetitive phrases to be played with the simplest of patches.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:30 am

Updates:

MIDI Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression!
Today the MPE Mode was added! It uses 7 channels (not including the Master Zone channel) and LHAND uses an eighth. Arp mode isn't functional as MPE and still uses the first channel only but considering adding it into the MPE mode as well.
It sounds deeper and when modulated with (below) is noticeably different than single channel.

The CC CV Gate record is also operational and works with all modes and functions (Chords, Arp, LHAND bass/melody, Progression modes)
I'm thinking on calling it "IMPRINT" as it records the CC CV during a gate, then imprints the modification onto each note as it's played.

This can be any CC, PW, or AT. In MPE mode each note is more able to play the entire CC as they are all on different channels. It's pretty cool!

MPE works great with my little MIDIplus Mini-engine but with the Yamaha (V-Drums) one of the notes, despite the "set all instruments to this" message, has percussion on channel 6. I'm sure there's a way to change that. I haven't tried this on any of my other synths yet.

With 8 notes playing in MPE mode with their own CC CV modifiers about 70% of the MIDI bandwidth is being used so I still need to put in redundancy traps. There's no problems even with this amount of data!

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:21 pm

question, is there a way to set a maximum number of possible simultaneous midi notes?

Like if i'm using it with a 8 voice midi synth, I never want more than 8 simultaneous notes to be sent no matter how crazy i am modulating it. or if im using it with my 4 channel midi2cv module, i never want more than 4 overlapping notes.
so there should be a way to set max number of overlapping notes so it prioritizes the notes properly.

Maybe lowest note priority? So if you play a 5 note chord but only have it set to 4 max, it would only output the 4 lowest notes?

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:54 pm

brandonlogic wrote:question, is there a way to set a maximum number of possible simultaneous midi notes?

Like if i'm using it with a 8 voice midi synth, I never want more than 8 simultaneous notes to be sent no matter how crazy i am modulating it. or if im using it with my 4 channel midi2cv module, i never want more than 4 overlapping notes.
so there should be a way to set max number of overlapping notes so it prioritizes the notes properly.
Hi BL,

That should be up to the MIDI receiver really (i.e. the upcoming Sequarallel Module has facilities to handle >4 simultaneous notes to it's 4 gate/CV outputs) which should assume that all MIDI note inputs will be from a poly source.

That said, it's a good idea!
It would have to be a dual setting though IMO
Right now, if I play a straight chord, say min7, 4 notes would play together. But if I played a Maj9, 5 notes will play together.
If the Spread was adjusted up some to strum the notes, the 5th would (possibly) come around and play in the 1st slot of the hypothetical MIDI2CV module.
So the first limit would need to be maximum notes in any chord.

The second limit would need to be Max notes on at any time.
There's 2 ways to handle this one...
If the number exceeds 8 (as in your example) then note-offs are sent before new note-ons. I think most synths would handle this, offering a trigger by that.
The other way is to stop all following notes until there is space within the limit. Personally I like the first :)

With an 8 voice synth the Chord size limit could of course be left alone and the max notes-on be set for 8.

What do you think?

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:20 am

brandonlogic wrote:question, is there a way to set a maximum number of possible simultaneous midi notes?

Maybe lowest note priority? So if you play a 5 note chord but only have it set to 4 max, it would only output the 4 lowest notes?
That's something that should be handled properly from the side of the receiving device, whether that is your synth with limited number of voices or a MIDI-to-CV module like Sequarallel. Ideally your synthesizer should allow you to choose how you prefer that it handles note priority - the same applies to proper MIDI-to-CV modules (Yarns readily comes to mind as a module that does that). If it does not then you can always opt for small Midi devices that would allow you to supplement your particular synth's limitation.

Let me put it another way: you wouldn't expect a midi keyboard to limit the number of notes it can output no matter how many keys you play on it, would you? No, you'd program the receiving device to accommodate to the input. I don't see why you'd expect anything different from Melisma.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:09 pm

That's something that should be handled properly from the side of the receiving device, whether that is your synth with limited number of voices or a MIDI-to-CV module like Sequarallel. Ideally your synthesizer should allow you to choose how you prefer that it handles note priority - the same applies to proper MIDI-to-CV modules (Yarns readily comes to mind as a module that does that). If it does not then you can always opt for small Midi devices that would allow you to supplement your particular synth's limitation.

Let me put it another way: you wouldn't expect a midi keyboard to limit the number of notes it can output no matter how many keys you play on it, would you? No, you'd program the receiving device to accommodate to the input. I don't see why you'd expect anything different from Melisma.
this is a module that is going to be heavily modulated and probably going to get pretty intense with little effort, in ways nothing like how i, or any human being can possibly play a midi keyboard. im sure it will be easy to get carried away quickly. most modern synths have midi handling options, but not all synth/midi devices. i don't think the option of dialing it back is a bad thing.

Let me put it another way:

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:07 am

brandonlogic wrote:this is a module that is going to be heavily modulated and probably going to get pretty intense with little effort, in ways nothing like how i, or any human being can possibly play a midi keyboard. im sure it will be easy to get carried away quickly. most modern synths have midi handling options, but not all synth/midi devices. i don't think the option of dialing it back is a bad thing.

Let me put it another way:
:hihi:

I fully agree with your Dude reference!

What I don't agree with is not wanting to focus your modulation when you know your end-of-chain synth won't cope with what you're sending it, and then ask that the 'translator' should work extra because of that. You can easily avoid chords that have too many notes (stick to 3 or 4-note chords when making your progression list - in case it wasn't clear from the videos, you can make your own chord lists and choose what types of chords are in there), or avoid spreading them too much so that notes don't overlap between chords. It's easy to do, Spread knob works as an attenuator. No need for extra parameters to be added when all you need is some care and attenuators!

I actually think adding niche parameters is a bad thing. Sorry, my UI/UX spirit gets the better of me when working on designs! I can easily think of scenarios where users get puzzled over why they hear 3 notes instead of 7 because of an obscure parameter that limits the number of notes at the output. It's not a typical parameter to have on MIDI controllers (e.g. my keyboard reference above) and I honestly don't think it should be there.

By the way, Melisma is very musical! Contrary to what you might imagine, there's some very clever work behind the scenes by Sandrine, so getting smooth results out of it is simply effortless. You don't have to go Stravinsky on it unless you want to - but you most certainly can!

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:11 am

Edit: ok I give up :despair:

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:08 am

brandonlogic wrote:Edit: ok I give up :despair:
Answering to your original comment because it seems my replies frustrated you:

:hug: It's just an argument over functionality my good sir! Don't take it to heart. Your opinion has been taken into account both by Sandrine and myself. I guess it wasn't obvious that I'm actively working on the design? Melisma is somewhat of a joint effort albeit, in all honesty, it is Sandrine who is the obvious powerhouse here. I'm merely pointing out why I disagree with this inclusion, taking into account all the factors that you might not be aware of, including usefulness, usability, UI, UX, and current feature set. Regardless of that, would you prefer that I didn't voice an opposing opinion? I enjoy discussing these things both as a user and as a designer - it helps keeping an informed opinion.

When working on a design there are a lot of parameters to consider and sometimes adding something that 'might be useful for others' can force something that 'would be useful for everyone' out of the list of features. So when seriously considering a feature request one has to seriously argument for and against it. Anyway, I don't want to sound pedantic - I'm sure I can speak for both of us when I say that we really appreciate and consider all incoming suggestions.

Sorry if it seemed like a stranger shot down your request. Stick around, Melisma is going to be amazing!

justintonation
Common Wiggler

Post by justintonation » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:49 pm

Does this module allow for microtonal chords? Scala input or anything like that?

7on5on8on3
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 7on5on8on3 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:01 am

I'm just checking the poly synth called the buzzy.
And it's powered over midi.

Would this work with the melisma? Also there's sandrines midi merger, which I think is also midi powered. Would both these devices work? If not would a powered midi patch bay fix this?

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:38 am

Just an additional word on poly-limits
A "notes on" limit could be implemented, but probably isn't necessary. I just did some extreme chording tests and honestly it's hard to push the number of notes on above 10. Eventually I managed to get to the upper 30's but notes were just a blur at that point.

There is also an option that will turn off notes and re-play them if they are the same (on the same channel) as some synths don't like overlapping notes at all.

justintonation wrote:Does this module allow for microtonal chords? Scala input or anything like that?
I'm confused by this question as SCALA & MT setup is via SysEx TO the synth.
While the Melisma has a LINK where a MIDI merge via breakout can be added, there are no plans for SCALA or micro-tuning SysEx recognition.
Our Sequarallel module does though.

De facto Micro-tuning can be achieved on the Melisma using CV on CC input configured to Pitch Bend. When MPE mode is used and the CC set to "per note", Pitch Bend information is applied to individual notes/channels at the time they occur (as opposed to globally at Gate time)
Because MPE uses individual channels, the pitch information is held for the duration of notes statically, making this useful for pads & such

For precise control the CV sequence to the CC jack must match the Spread of Notes, so using Quantized Spread is preferable
When Arping (HOLD input high) this configuration is a bit easier because you control when notes are played with ACLK input
7on5on8on3 wrote:I'm just checking the poly synth called the buzzy.
And it's powered over midi.
I had a look but I don't think it is. There seems to be focus on the USB.
If it is, the Melisma can source 50mA through it's MIDI out.
Would this work with the melisma? Also there's sandrines midi merger, which I think is also midi powered. Would both these devices work? If not would a powered midi patch bay fix this?
The MIDI Merge project uses guitar pedal power (9V) or battery, not MIDI power.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:50 am

Updates
Nearly ready! Looks like Chrissy holidays will thwart my efforts to release any modules though so I hope no one was looking to stuff their stockings with a Melisma.

New Stuff-

1V/Oct pitch bend:
If the bend range is set to 12 notes, and the CC input set to Pitch Bend, then the 1V/Oct option will roll through the range every 1 volt. this is a really interesting way to manipulate played notes (I don't think I've ever heard anything quite like it) after they have been played as an arp-like modulation.
Most GM synths accomplish Pitch Bend by simply changing the sample rate so the notes offset sound different than just notes playing. If you were to use a CV inversion on the root that matched the CC offset (bipolar) then the same note can be played with varied timbre.
This is especially neat to use with "Imprint" CC or Sample&Hold CC, and being non-quantized allows for micro-tonal expression in a predictable way.

Sample & Hold CC
When this is turned on, the CC modulation (to whatever it is applied) will only be captured at notes on. Optionally The Gate, Progression, LHAND, and Arp notes can trigger this update. When in MPE mode each note can have a fixed CC value attached that remains for the duration of the note.

Imprint
When turned on, CC envelopes recorded during the Gate On time will be applied to any note played afterwards. I have mentioned this feature previously but it has been updated so that any type of note can trigger it (options are Chord progression pulses, Arp notes, Lhand notes, and Gate)
So an envelope of Cut, for example, can be applied to all following notes in the same way. In MPE mode long gates are especially intriguing as they can have a complex envelope interacting sonically with each note played
Imprint has it's own Quick Box button and takes over Sample&Hold of course.

Spread Modes
The chord note's Spread can be set to be quantized time-wise to any of the inputs ACLK, Gate, Progression Pulses, or LHAND Bass. It works in graduations of 1/16th's. In addition to this, Spread now has 3 additional modes of variation quickly controllable from it's Quick-Box button.
These are Swing, Random, and Order. The order mode will change the order that the notes are played withing the spread, while the Random mode will tack on a variable amount of randomness to the timing, and the Swing mode will of course add a variable amount of swing to the spread.
The Quick box, when selected, allows easy scrolling from Quantizing off, through the intensity levels to Quantizing on, making it really easy to change from one to the other and set an intensity between.

Poly Percussion - Percussa
Yep the feature creep has gone full circle with this one! It was done on a whim (and desire for percussion control) that seems to have found it's way into the Melisma permanently. Using a CV on LHAND and triggers on ACLK, any combination of drums (on assigned perc channel) can be played with a max polyphony of 8.
This is possible by using LHAND's CV sensitivity registration (settable in Cents/mS) and ACLK to play the drum notes. The changes in CV voltage accumulate drums notes to be played at the ACLK trigger.
While this sounds like a hap-hazard way to play drums, it truly goes beyond premeditated control thanks to the brilliant designers of the MIDI percussion order. In other words, it just sounds really great with little effort or thought to the actual CV values going in.
It's simple to control the complexity of rhythms by either attenuating the CV to LHAND or changing LHAND's sensitivity to accumulate notes.
I'll post a sample of this in short order, it's a truly unique way to add percussion!
It can also be used with themed banks (if your GM synth has that) and even a new way to create chords on a non-percussion channel

Multi-Channel!
Each element of the Melisma now has it's own MIDI channel. Chords, Arps, LHAND, Percussa, and CC can be set to any channel. Switching from piano when playing chords to xylophone for playing arps while LHAND plays it's melody on strings or plucks bass notes on a finger bass adds another dimension to the Melisma.

MIDI PUSH
This was a much needed Button. It simply sends a defined set of MIDI messages when pressed, a reset of sorts. It sends vitals like volume/pan and pedal resets, Pitch Bend, Program Change, reset all controllers,and up to 4 user set CC's. This eliminates the need to set up the synth other ways after powering up. PUSH is also called when changing programs (1-8) so the synth is ready immediately with everything adjusted appropriately. (Super useful on Select Bus)
This means one can switch to a completely different set of instruments and settings by simply changing from one program to another.

Select Bus
SO the implementation on Select Bus is as follows
As Master:
Changing from one Program to another will send a user set Select Bus State #. There is also a Select Bus QB Button to change states to any of the 64 if required. The HOLD jack (for Arping) can also send state changes at transition from Low-Hi and High-Low. Each of the 8 Programs can have it's own HOLD settings.
The CC input can be assigned to Select Bus for CV controlling 1-64,1-16,1-8, or 1-4
As Slave:
The Select Bus State # can be entered into each Program (1-64) so only that State received will switch to the programmed assigned with it, making the Melisma transparent to other State changes.
This is updated by the "Store" message making the new Select Bus State match the present Program.
If neither Master or Slave (AUTO) then Program changes only send State changes if there hasn't been a valid state change from another master.

Names!
Each of the 8 Programs can be assigned a name (that pops up on the screen when the *PROG*:n is selected. The name is up to 16 chars.

Piano-Roll Screen Saver
After 30 seconds of no-touchy the piano roll screen saver starts. This scrolls chord/arp notes played and a waveform from the CC input super-imposed. It's cool to watch but useful for the CC waveform. If LHAND is in Percussa mode, then ACLK trigger shows all drum notes played.
The screen-saver can be forced by clicking the encoder at the top screen when no quick-boxes are selected. It can be disabled in settings.

Now you know what I've been doing over the past couple of weeks, making it well worth the wait IMHO!

7on5on8on3
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 7on5on8on3 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:11 am

Wow it sounds amazing, there's some serious depth to this module now.

7on5on8on3
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 7on5on8on3 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:51 am

Just re reading this. Does the midi implementation mean that the melisma will work even with awkward midi synths that restrict which midi channel they can be on?

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:52 am

7on5on8on3 wrote:Just re reading this. Does the midi implementation mean that the melisma will work even with awkward midi synths that restrict which midi channel they can be on?
Yes of course. You can freely assign MIDI channels to each mode (chord, arpeggiation, left hand, etc) which means any restricted synthesizer will work with Melisma.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:20 am

Update:

Link SysEx is working!
The Melisma can send 3 types of SysEx dumps that can be edited in any text editor and sent back into the module via Link bus:
1-Chord Lists.. All 8 CV Chord lists
2-Single PROGram, all settings and chord/Root Progression lists
3-Global Dump.. all settings, Chord lists, chord/Root Progression lists

Using Global Sysex an entire "image" of the Melisma can be saved/recalled

If the Melisma is LINK'ed to the Sequarallel module, any SysEx sent will be saved to the present Sequence which will be recalled when the sequence is loaded (if SysEx update activated) so the Melisma chords & settings can match a particular Sequarallel sequence when loaded across the board... regardless of whether the sequence is actually played.

Copy/Paste:
Any CV Chord list or Root/Chord Progression list can be copied (from the list selection pop-up) then pasted into a different list. This is great for an alternate list that uses many elements of another but with variations.

Percussa LHAND Mode Tests:
I have been testing the precussa mode with an O_C module in Sequins mode and it's entirely predictable + easy to use! If the ACLK input is the same clock as the Sequins Sequence, CV steps carried over play no drums, while CV changes play single drums.
If the clock to ACLK is divided by 4 from the clock to Sequins, then up to 4 drums can be played together. (/4 can be achieved with a second Sequins sequence's gate if there's no clock divider available).
Adjust LHAND's Cents/mS sensitivity will thin out the number of drums played.

If percussa is used on a non-percussion channel, 2 to 8 note chords can be created this way which are of course predictable if Sequins is set to send Semitones ;)
Last edited by Sandrine on Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by Sandrine » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:14 am

Updates:

Copy/Paste is now for the entire PROGram# including progression lists and all of the settings. Simple copy present into a new one for an exact duplicate. The new PROG can be then changed around.

The CC CV input can control Root or Chord Progression list's start, end, or window over the list. It can also control the Arpeggio note's lengths based on Gate length from 1 to 200%. This, as you can imagine, props up any arp significantly when used with a CV sequencer. When the CC CV drops to zero volts, the arp is paused (bridged) without losing it's position.
Arp Types (1-8) can also be selected instantly via CV so steps through the notes can duplicate the same note or skip some.
CC CV can be used to address Select Bus as mention before, but covers the ranges 1-4,1-8,1-16,1-32, & 1-64.
LHAND Time can be controlled directly from 10 to 250mS. This works well with the new Percussa mode offering direct control of the density of percussive elements played at ACLK trigger.

LINK MIDI input can be used to control various elements via CC/PC and Root Note offset with notes from a controller or keyboard. This control makes the Melisma very use-able in a live performance setting, especially if used with a MIDI controller like the BeatStep Pro.

We'll be replying to order requests shortly :)

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Introducing the Accord Melisma Chord Module!

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:39 am

Sandrine wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:14 am
We'll be replying to order requests shortly :)
:champagne:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”