microcell: micro Supercell / expanded Clouds in 14hp

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:45 am

I think the current mode switching UI is OK, mode switching is more of a meta-function than an intrinsic part of the UI so it's not something I'd want to change. Developing, testing, and deploying even a minor firmware update like this is no small task either. Thanks for the request though.

atrostor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by atrostor » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:22 pm

sempervirent wrote:mode switching is more of a meta-function than an intrinsic part of the UI
That depends on the use case though, right? For instance, I have works where I switch between the granular and resonator modes mid-performance so the ability to go immediately into the mod switching state and scroll back is pretty useful. Although this sounds like a fringe case, the method itself is relatively tried and tested at this point. Seeing that how prevalent the Parasites firmware is, it's possible that more users are used to this method than not. Nevertheless, it's hard to argue against the developer not having time to invest into a UI change so I'll keep on pressing and holding in the meantime.

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:03 pm

Context is everything, for sure. Even so, with the Superparasites firmware, the two modes you want to access are not adjacent to each other as they are on Parasites. You would need multiple button presses, since there are 8 modes rather than the 4 from Clouds or 6 from the original Parasites.

Going backwards from Granular would switch to Spectral Clouds, and going forward from Resonestor would switch to Beat Repeat. Since the mode changes are nearly instantaneous you would have to skip the extra modes very quickly or get an unwanted audio glitch.

So then the question might be whether the modes can be arranged in a specific order... you can see how this request gets more complicated than it might seem at first.

atrostor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by atrostor » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:27 pm

Right, I think that would be overkill but, nevertheless, switching into mode selection immediately and scrolling back is still faster than pressing and holding and scrolling forward. I think, more importantly, I sometimes confuse the modes and scroll over the one I am aiming for, which in this case requires going through the whole thing again rather than simply scrolling backwards. Anyhow, I was just hoping this would be something that would be easily ported over from the Parasites firmware but maybe not so.

pld
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pld » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:37 am

atrostor wrote:Anyhow, I was just hoping this would be something that would be easily ported over from the Parasites firmware but maybe not so.
Ease of porting is a separate question to whether it should be done :)
I'm agnostic about it, but it's kind of an either/or choice since I don't think supporting both navigation options (cleanly) will work. I suspect one might be able to avoid glitches during switches by only changing on release (or exit from mode selection) but it's been a while, and obviously that has the side effect of switches no longer being immediate...

milkyjoe
Ultra Wiggler

Re: microcell: micro Supercell / expanded Clouds in 14hp

Post by milkyjoe » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:01 pm

edit. sposed 2b pm
Last edited by milkyjoe on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

milkyjoe
Ultra Wiggler

Post by milkyjoe » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:06 pm

anyone heard from this sempervirant/grayscale guy lately ? he does not answer messages and has money people have given him for preorders....not cool....

Also, am i the only one who had to pay $15 for shipping 1 kit which has no eta ?

$15 shipping for 1 module is expensive..
Last edited by milkyjoe on Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atrostor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by atrostor » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:44 pm

I think the website said “late January” for a while now so I wouldn’t call it “no eta”. When I bought mine when it was in stock, it shipped the same day and arrived two days later. The shipping did have a signature requirement, which might explain the price. This actually caused me to miss delivery so I would prefer if this was an option but maybe it’s needed for the seller to cover their bases. Either way, I think grayscale has proven itself as a reliable Eurorack brand so I wouldn’t worry about getting scammed.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by thetwlo » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:54 am

milkyjoe wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:06 pm
Also, am i the only one who had to pay $15 for shipping 1 kit which has no eta ?
$15 shipping for 1 module is an intentional rip (kinda like the grayscale panels too)....
I ordered mine right before it switched to "pre-order", and received it about 2 weeks later--about 12/23.

The $15 shipping is about actual cost as he sends it signature required.

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:46 am

This was a holiday weekend in the US, even us module-making androids need a break sometimes.

Preorders for assembled units will be fulfilled by the end of this week, DIY kits will be shipping next week.

milkyjoe
Ultra Wiggler

Post by milkyjoe » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:52 am

Well, i guess i don't get one now.

ForAiur
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by ForAiur » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:40 pm

aroom wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:00 am
well, even if the implantation won't be perfect it would be available.

and it will be up to the user to choose to use it or not. not a big deal.

it's a matter of choice and opportunity.
I would also really love to have this option. I built a very small skiff with only a Expert Sleepers Little Mikey, 2HP Delay, Microcells and Audio out and I would LOVE to bring some randomness into the Microcell without any LFOs and so on at my disposal if I don't have any of my racks with me.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:00 am

milkyjoe wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:52 am
Well, i guess i don't get one now.
Hey man, take a deep breath and realize that all of the small manufacturers are not Walmart. They take holidays, have lives and for the very most part do a great job. As far as shipping goes, you can go on line and compare shipping costs between USPS, UPS, etc. They are all expensive over a few ounces.

Hoping that you get one soon.

MM
FS: A-140-2 Dual VC ADSR, Erica VCA 2, SP-555 Sampler and more - CHEAP!!!
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

milkyjoe
Ultra Wiggler

Post by milkyjoe » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:18 am

Thanx mindMachine , do you have a microcell ?

do you like it /if you dont, are you interested in it .

kinda wondering why you are here and also digging up my past possi=blyshitshow posts......

Have i been abusive by asking questions ?

btw, i am not a troll. i openely admit to being bad at social interactions (and spelling words :bang: ).
I am aware that some could miscunstrue my intentions due to my inept soclial skills and problems with getting frustrated sometimes(after spending multiple hours troubleshooting based on a manufacturers comments).

so why are you following up on my past posts so much ? for real, do you want to be friends, or are you trolling me ?
Strange behaviour here.....

I am a very open minded person and believe in peace. I will admit to being wrong if you make a good claim.
I know that ego can be a destroyer.

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:56 am

Take it to the PMs please.

milkyjoe
Ultra Wiggler

Post by milkyjoe » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:54 am

very funny you say that sempervirent.
you don't reply through email or pm..who is trolling here ? :sstorm:

i have absolutely nothing to hide grayscale...but you seem to, very much so....

this is a perfect example of how you conduct business and public humiliation just aint the way to go...
Last edited by milkyjoe on Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”