Earthquaker coming to Eurorack

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

User avatar
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4676
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39 am
Location: St Louis, MO
Contact:

Post by starthief » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:50 pm

Those mode options sound great!

User avatar
sir stony
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 395
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:09 pm
Location: Bavaria

Post by sir stony » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:07 pm

Nice sound, maybe, but if the module will only draw from the positive rail, that is clearly not a correct implementation into the eurorack environment.

No bashing intended, but I totally second this:
Nutritional Zero wrote:I feel pedal manufacturers who step into eurorack do so with a either a) an incomplete picture of the state of the scene/art/industry, b) or adapt their pedal products inadequately (this) or incorrectly (Strymon).

Furthermore there are enough Spin FV-1 based reverbs available in eurorack. These are characterful and quite lovely, but ultimately underpowered. Unfortunately, as many (most?) boutique pedal manufacturers are still working with the chip it’s unlikely we’ll see an alternative anytime soon. Something tells me Strymon didn’t quite hit the mark with Magneto and had to release the Volante to recoup R&D costs... Who else is big enough to sink money into an endeavour of this kind?

Earthquaker seem like a great company and their pedals seem to command a lot of respect (I see that Avalanche one connected to a lot of modular synths.) But.. a modular synth isn’t a guitar.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:33 am
Location: Texas

Post by damase » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:33 pm

QuantumMechanakillWave wrote:Hello everyone!

I work as the Systems Administrator and Customer Service Manager for EarthQuaker Devices.

Actually, the Afterneath module is capable of pseudo-stereo operation by patching out of the “Reflect Send” jack and “Output” jack simultaneously. We got a lot of compliments on the imaging from those that demoed the module at EarthQuaker Day. Soo much fun!

The modes are as follows: Mode: Controls the behavior of the “Drag” control as well as how it responds to control voltage. There are 8 different modes:
1. Linear – smooth, un-quantized response over the operating range
2. Linear with Slew – Smooth, un-quantized response over the entire operating range, but with a musical slew that is reminiscent of turning the varispeed knob on a vintage British tape delay. The “Drag” will lag behind the knob or cv changes, but then quickly catch up
3. Linear Volt/Octave – Smooth and un-quantized, yet scaled to align with the 1V/octave curve to allow melodic modulation of audio in the buffer, or control the frequency of self-oscillation like a voltage controlled oscillator
4. Chromatic Scale – Quantized 1V/octave to the chromatic scale
5. Major Scale – Quantized 1V/octave to the major scale
6. Minor Scale – Quantized 1V/octave to the minor scale
7. Pentatonic Scale – Quantized 1V/octave to the pentatonic scale
8. Octaves and Fifths – Quantized 1V/octave to omit all but octaves and fifths
9. Octaves – Quantized 1V/octave to omit all but octaves
interesting. maybe i missed something...
what exactly is being quantized? is it some sort of pitch shifting or the delay line oscillation being tuned to notes? if its the delay line, how fast can it actually go?

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:33 am
Location: Texas

Post by damase » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:36 pm

southberry wrote:I can understand why the pedal is mono ... you want to plug it into a guitar / bass amp ... but with modular ????
I can understand a mono in, even if it's changing (I bought a SWN and a QPASS recently), modular has been built around mono voices (one oscillator , to one filter , to one VCA etc)
but for a reverb , I want a stereo output ... even if it's a mono signal at the input ...
... if all you want is end of chain reverb i see this. mono is easier to patch around and get tricky with imo. especially considering the send/return.

there is a place for stereo reverb also, just a different type of usage

User avatar
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4676
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39 am
Location: St Louis, MO
Contact:

Post by starthief » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:38 pm

sir stony wrote:if the module will only draw from the positive rail, that is clearly not a correct implementation into the eurorack environment.
So I guess the Doepfer A-196, and Make Noise Pressure Points and Rene are also incorrect...?

(There are probably more examples, but ModularGrid doesn't have a sort by power feature.)

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 395
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 2:57 am

Post by Nutritional Zero » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:43 pm

mgscheue wrote:
Nutritional Zero wrote:It’s mono, so no, they very much don’t.
No mono modules in Eurorack... . :despair:
Point taken. The whole point of “modular” is definitely only you can decide what the role of the system is and it can’t be imposed on you. I get that.

But... almost every system I see nowadays (excluding the lunchbox scene) is multi-voice though.

User avatar
sir stony
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 395
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:09 pm
Location: Bavaria

Post by sir stony » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:00 pm

starthief wrote:So I guess the Doepfer A-196, and Make Noise Pressure Points and Rene are also incorrect...?
I don't intend to hijack this thread or lead any unneccessary discussion like just happened on that recovery fx thread, but please think about the signal processing of audio vs logic paths.

User avatar
CaneMan
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:27 pm
Location: Albany, NY
Contact:

Post by CaneMan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:09 pm

:doh: This is just going to make it harder for me to choose an in-rack delay/reverb. Right now, my only in-rack reverb is a Disting. It's surprisingly good enough when I feel like leaving behind the outboard effects.

That said, Afterneath in Eurorack looks like wicked good fun. :yay:

User avatar
Jason Brock
just visiting
Posts: 4271
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:32 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Post by Jason Brock » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:15 pm

sir stony wrote:...if the module will only draw from the positive rail, that is clearly not a correct implementation into the eurorack environment.
sir stony wrote:please think about the signal processing of audio vs logic paths.
I'm not sure what the problem is that you are hinting at, so please explain.

User avatar
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4676
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39 am
Location: St Louis, MO
Contact:

Post by starthief » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:40 pm

Jason Brock wrote:
sir stony wrote:...if the module will only draw from the positive rail, that is clearly not a correct implementation into the eurorack environment.
sir stony wrote:please think about the signal processing of audio vs logic paths.
I'm not sure what the problem is that you are hinting at, so please explain.
Likewise. I don't know very much about electronics, but... they have a working module here and it sounds good. Unless it's going to dump a ton of noise on the rest of the system or electrocute somebody, I'm not sure what about it could be "incorrect", or why that would only happen with audio rather than logic.

User avatar
QuantumMechanakillWave
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:26 am
Location: Cleveland

Post by QuantumMechanakillWave » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:57 pm

Actually, It is completely possible (and viable) to design a module in this way. The module has been through multiple rounds or prototyping, has been burned in for multiple days and functions perfectly. We allowed the public to test them through six different systems on Saturday during EarthQuaker Day, and received nothing but positive reviews from both the public and other modular manufacturers. Electrical engineering is complex, and there are more than one way to accomplish any given result, regardless of habit or industry convention.

I’d highly recommend staying tuned for upcoming demos and reviews!


sir stony wrote:Nice sound, maybe, but if the module will only draw from the positive rail, that is clearly not a correct implementation into the eurorack environment.

No bashing intended, but I totally second this:
[/quote]
"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only by night."

-Edgar Allen Poe

User avatar
QuantumMechanakillWave
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:26 am
Location: Cleveland

Post by QuantumMechanakillWave » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:06 pm

To clarify, you do not need to utilize a bipolar power supply for modules that process/create bipolar(in this case, audio) signals.

Properly engineering the circuit with the correct referential voltages and DC offsets will achieve the same results.

Now, let’s talk about the fun stuff! Anyone have any questions?
"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only by night."

-Edgar Allen Poe

User avatar
recoveryeffects
Common Wiggler
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:41 pm
Location: Seattle

Post by recoveryeffects » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:17 pm

I've been saying this for months- The next step in Eurorack is playable modules. Here's yet another example confirming this. Enough with the 4hp menu diving with generic labeled pots, etc...

I think there is actually room for a whole new format based on this. Something with the height of of Euro, with unique power and output spec, with focus on audio quality and playability. Euro is just getting too illogical for musicians who want a tactile surface with the flexibility of modular.

Also, The Afterneath is Spin based... There are limitations in programming headroom, which is why I'm assuming it is mono (it does a lot of stuff with that Spin chip). It's a fantastic effect though. I've loved the Afterneath for years... I'll be picking one up for Euro as soon as it is available.

User avatar
QuantumMechanakillWave
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:26 am
Location: Cleveland

Post by QuantumMechanakillWave » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:21 pm

When changing the “Drag” parameter the pitch and fidelity of the audio in the effects buffer is changed. Hence, the usefulness of the different modes. You can achieve some really interesting modulated reverb effects! It is so much fun! You can also set the “Length” and “Reflect” controls so that there is a long enough decay time to play the sound in the buffer as if it were an oscillator. Also, you can jack up the levels of the “Length” and “Reflect” controls so that it goes into wild self-oscillation :deadbanana: , and have it track chromatically.
damase wrote:
QuantumMechanakillWave wrote:Hello everyone!

I work as the Systems Administrator and Customer Service Manager for EarthQuaker Devices.

Actually, the Afterneath module is capable of pseudo-stereo operation by patching out of the “Reflect Send” jack and “Output” jack simultaneously. We got a lot of compliments on the imaging from those that demoed the module at EarthQuaker Day. Soo much fun!

The modes are as follows: Mode: Controls the behavior of the “Drag” control as well as how it responds to control voltage. There are 8 different modes:
1. Linear – smooth, un-quantized response over the operating range
2. Linear with Slew – Smooth, un-quantized response over the entire operating range, but with a musical slew that is reminiscent of turning the varispeed knob on a vintage British tape delay. The “Drag” will lag behind the knob or cv changes, but then quickly catch up
3. Linear Volt/Octave – Smooth and un-quantized, yet scaled to align with the 1V/octave curve to allow melodic modulation of audio in the buffer, or control the frequency of self-oscillation like a voltage controlled oscillator
4. Chromatic Scale – Quantized 1V/octave to the chromatic scale
5. Major Scale – Quantized 1V/octave to the major scale
6. Minor Scale – Quantized 1V/octave to the minor scale
7. Pentatonic Scale – Quantized 1V/octave to the pentatonic scale
8. Octaves and Fifths – Quantized 1V/octave to omit all but octaves and fifths
9. Octaves – Quantized 1V/octave to omit all but octaves
interesting. maybe i missed something...
what exactly is being quantized? is it some sort of pitch shifting or the delay line oscillation being tuned to notes? if its the delay line, how fast can it actually go?
"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only by night."

-Edgar Allen Poe

User avatar
QuantumMechanakillWave
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:26 am
Location: Cleveland

Post by QuantumMechanakillWave » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:25 pm

Thanks! We are having a lot of fun with it!
starthief wrote:Those mode options sound great!
"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only by night."

-Edgar Allen Poe

User avatar
Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 789
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:18 pm
Location: Northbay, CA

Post by Ras Thavas » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:29 pm

QuantumMechanakillWave wrote:When changing the “Drag” parameter the pitch and fidelity of the audio in the effects buffer is changed. Hence, the usefulness of the different modes. You can achieve some really interesting modulated reverb effects! It is so much fun! You can also set the “Length” and “Reflect” controls so that there is a long enough decay time to play the sound in the buffer as if it were an oscillator. Also, you can jack up the levels of the “Length” and “Reflect” controls so that it goes into wild self-oscillation :deadbanana: , and have it track chromatically. ]
O.K., I think you know the audio we all want to hear!

Seriously, the feedback loop combined with the ability to cv/pitch the buffer in multiple ways, on top of being a nice sound reverb is a great value add. Interested...

skreetis
Common Wiggler
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:04 pm
Location: The Wasteland

Post by skreetis » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:30 pm

Very cool to see Earthquaker making the eurorack leap! I own a decent number of EQD pedals and enjoy them all. I’d love to see a clockable Space Spiral one of these days. :hihi:

Buyakasoundman
Common Wiggler
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:46 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Post by Buyakasoundman » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:56 pm

ThunderSkull wrote:It can only be a matter of time before Chase Bliss joins the eurorack party?
I am hoping so hard they get into euro; it’s such a natural fit. The Dark World would make a lovely euro verb. With its wide sonic pallet and split personalities, it would be so much fun to modulate. The upcoming Blooper would also be right at home in my rack. If only we can get these guitar pedal designers to think in stereo (not you Zoia, you get it).

User avatar
QuantumMechanakillWave
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:26 am
Location: Cleveland

Post by QuantumMechanakillWave » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:58 pm

Thanks! We are having a lot of fun with it!
starthief wrote:Those mode options sound great!
"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only by night."

-Edgar Allen Poe

User avatar
QuantumMechanakillWave
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:26 am
Location: Cleveland

Post by QuantumMechanakillWave » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:59 pm

Thank you for all of your support!
skreetis wrote:Very cool to see Earthquaker making the eurorack leap! I own a decent number of EQD pedals and enjoy them all. I’d love to see a clockable Space Spiral one of these days. :hihi:
"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only by night."

-Edgar Allen Poe

User avatar
QuantumMechanakillWave
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:26 am
Location: Cleveland

Post by QuantumMechanakillWave » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:35 pm

We will get to recording!
Ras Thavas wrote:
QuantumMechanakillWave wrote:When changing the “Drag” parameter the pitch and fidelity of the audio in the effects buffer is changed. Hence, the usefulness of the different modes. You can achieve some really interesting modulated reverb effects! It is so much fun! You can also set the “Length” and “Reflect” controls so that there is a long enough decay time to play the sound in the buffer as if it were an oscillator. Also, you can jack up the levels of the “Length” and “Reflect” controls so that it goes into wild self-oscillation :deadbanana: , and have it track chromatically. ]
O.K., I think you know the audio we all want to hear!

Seriously, the feedback loop combined with the ability to cv/pitch the buffer in multiple ways, on top of being a nice sound reverb is a great value add. Interested...
"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only by night."

-Edgar Allen Poe

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:33 am
Location: Texas

Post by damase » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:43 pm

very interesting... will need to see demos of the modes to really get it i think for me. if the “play the reverb chromatically” thing is very applicable, maybe consider adding a “freeze buffer” (infinite reverb) button?

User avatar
QuantumMechanakillWave
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:26 am
Location: Cleveland

Post by QuantumMechanakillWave » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:45 pm

One can achieve a frozen buffer by using a combination of the “Length” and “Reflect” controls. Like anything that is frozen, it will be preserved for quite some time, but not forever. There will be some changes and degradation as the high decay is based upon feedback. So, over time, sum and cancellation of harmonics will occur. This is desirable. There is a lot of fun to be had in this little module.

I will do my best to record some unofficial video examples. :party:
damase wrote:very interesting... will need to see demos of the modes to really get it i think for me. if the “play the reverb chromatically” thing is very applicable, maybe consider adding a “freeze buffer” (infinite reverb) button?
"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only by night."

-Edgar Allen Poe

User avatar
cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2207
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:42 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California

Post by cackland » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:24 pm

QuantumMechanakillWave wrote: I will do my best to record some unofficial video examples. :party:
Please do :)

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 499
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:16 am

Post by BlinkyLights » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:43 pm

Totally don't care that it's Mono, personally.

But I already like the pedal version, so this one requires no decision at all... Anything that takes the pedal version and gives you more is a must-have, to me. They'd have to royally screw it up to turn me off it at this point. Take my money...

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”