Earthquaker coming to Eurorack

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

s.l.o.w
Common Wiggler

Post by s.l.o.w » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:50 pm

I'm very excited about great pedal manufacturers like Earthquaker (I have a few of their pedals) getting into Eurorack, but will also temper my enthusiasm about getting any of this stuff into my cases until these potential products are not vaporware (maybe in the next year) and actually ship.

QuantumMechanakillWave
Wiggling with Experience

Post by QuantumMechanakillWave » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:05 pm

Fair enough!

We currently have 6 prototypes that are fully functional and stable. So, it is definitely not vaporware. However, the release date still needs to be decided upon and depends greatly on factors such as parts availability and production schedules. We hoe to have it out as soon as possible!
s.l.o.w wrote:I'm very excited about great pedal manufacturers like Earthquaker (I have a few of their pedals) getting into Eurorack, but will also temper my enthusiasm about getting any of this stuff into my cases until these potential products are not vaporware (maybe in the next year) and actually ship.
"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only by night."

-Edgar Allen Poe

chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chiasticon » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:26 pm

Nutritional Zero wrote:I feel pedal manufacturers who step into eurorack do so with a either a) an incomplete picture of the state of the scene/art/industry, b) or adapt their pedal products inadequately (this) or incorrectly (Strymon).
Malekko pulled it off pretty well, no? they adapted their designs and brought Wiard and Roland along for the ride...

anyway, back on topic! stoked to check this bad boy out and that EQD is moving into Euro. a good friend of mine works there and I've been asking him for years when they were going to! bummed I missed Earthquaker Day, and a chance to play with it :sadbanana:

QuantumMechanakillWave
Wiggling with Experience

Post by QuantumMechanakillWave » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:55 pm

Quick pseudo stereo patch that I recorded during my lunch break. I will do a more in-depth-depth video ASAP

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only by night."

-Edgar Allen Poe

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:42 pm

Pseudo-stereo is plenty good enough for me. I don’t care about stereo input as much because every reverb I’ve ever owned sums to mono internally anyway. It *is* a huge convenience factor, but mono FX sends are the norm anyway.

This goes back on my radar.

deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deftinwulf » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:33 pm

QuantumMechanakillWave wrote:Quick pseudo stereo patch that I recorded during my lunch break. I will do a more in-depth-depth video ASAP

I tried to check this out, but the account is private. I don't have an instagram account. Can you upload to youtube?

QuantumMechanakillWave
Wiggling with Experience

Post by QuantumMechanakillWave » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:26 pm

The link should now be accessible! I will try to do some YouTube uploads sometime soon. Here is another video using the Afterneath patched for pseudo-stereo:

Check out this thread that has an embedded YouTube video: viewtopic.php?t=220687&highlight=
deftinwulf wrote:
QuantumMechanakillWave wrote:Quick pseudo stereo patch that I recorded during my lunch break. I will do a more in-depth-depth video ASAP

I tried to check this out, but the account is private. I don't have an instagram account. Can you upload to youtube?

-Edgar Allen Poe

weirdo
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by weirdo » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:24 pm

QuantumMechanakillWave wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:45 pm
This is desirable.
Very!

want.

gotama
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Earthquaker coming to Eurorack

Post by gotama » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:38 am

Is the mono operation is due to multiplexing the pots from one of the outputs? So a stereo version would be possible, but with less controls (which really wouldn't be an Afterneath at that point)?

Dedal
Common Wiggler

Post by Dedal » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:56 pm

for a very long time I dreamed that the EQD came to eurorack, but I am very skeptical about this module. well' firstly it's huge, reaaally huge, don’t know why, but it's okay, the main thing - I had the pedal, I loved her, but it did not sounds interesting with synths and was also very annoying hiss, but the potential is revealed only with a guitar, so there was a rush on this! in the end I sold it and now a little puzzled that EQD chose her first-born a “Gendalph”, I’d rather would take transmisser, it is much more interesting sounding with the synths IMHO
PARATEK - aesthetics of the Soviet cyberpunk!
Grid: http://www.modulargrid.net/e/vendors/view/749
insta: http://www.instagram.com/paratekorg/

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:48 pm

Dedal wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:56 pm
firstly it's huge, reaaally huge
In what world is 16hp "huge, reaaaaally huge"??

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:47 pm

NoLegs wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:48 pm
Dedal wrote:
Liliput.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Dedal
Common Wiggler

Post by Dedal » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:01 pm

NoLegs wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:48 pm
Dedal wrote:
For mono reverb? In every possible IMO)
PARATEK - aesthetics of the Soviet cyberpunk!
Grid: http://www.modulargrid.net/e/vendors/view/749
insta: http://www.instagram.com/paratekorg/

minatorymodular
Learning to Wiggle

Post by minatorymodular » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:12 pm

I just don't get why they didn't go with full stereo. It seems that that's the future for Eurorack. Unless there's no way to adapt the sound of the pedal for both mono and stereo outputs?

QuantumMechanakillWave
Wiggling with Experience

Post by QuantumMechanakillWave » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:37 pm

Hey everyone! Josh from EarthQuaker here. Just figured I would chime in to answer a couple of your questions.

We landed on this size as it was the best low noise design given the layout we had envisioned. Making it smaller would have likely resulted in stacking circuit boards which would have increased the price. Furthermore, making it stereo in/stereo out would have further increased the size making it quite a bit more expensive given the components used and the design of the effect. Ultimately, we are really happy with the end results, and have received nothing but compliments from those that have used it.

We will be at SynthPlex, SuperBooth, Knobcon and Analog Heaven (assuming these events will still be happening). We highly recommend checking it out for yourself to see what you think. It has definitely become an instrument unto itself while maintaining the unique characteristics that embody the Afterneath.

We chose the Afterneath as our first Eurorack module not only because it was the most requested, but also because it was the effect we most wanted in our own systems.

Older versions of the Afterneath pedal did have some hiss and clock noise, but this has been drastically reduced over time. The Eurorack module and version 3 pedal have very low noise when used correctly. However, one should realize that some aliasing and artifacts are desirable at lower “Drag” settings as it is intended to produce a low fidelity effect at that setting.

We chose the Afterneath over the Transmisser as we felt that users could simply patch the resonant filter and modulation of their choice, resulting in a much more flexible and open experience. This is one of the many reasons that we included the Reflect Send and Reflect Return.

At any rate, we are super excited about our adventure into Eurorack, and have had a very positive and welcoming experience so far. Thanks for all of your encouraging words and positivity during our intro into the world of synthesis!

-Edgar Allen Poe

QuantumMechanakillWave
Wiggling with Experience

Post by QuantumMechanakillWave » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:11 pm

Also, check out this awesome video by Rheyne:

-Edgar Allen Poe

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:12 pm

Very nice. I’d love to get one if these in my rack some day.

AeroSigma
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AeroSigma » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:39 pm

I'm very excited about this! I agree with others, I hope this and the zoia hunt at more cv to come!

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:04 am

IMO Earthquaker has done a great job entering the eurorack market. Can't wait to get in into my rack :party:

Thanks to Edd at Sonicstate for making a clear and concise demo video:

QuantumMechanakillWave
Wiggling with Experience

Post by QuantumMechanakillWave » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:46 am

Such a great video! Thank you for your kind words!

Also, here is our video manual for the Afterneath Module:

-Edgar Allen Poe

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:01 pm

cackland wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:27 am
I do feel the UI could be improved. Wonder if this is the final layout?
Today I learned that I should get my Afterneath module in two days. As I then resumed thinking about the module, I realized that the only aspect of it I didn't understand was its enormous model name badge plus the seemingly unnecessary closeness of its rows of jacks.

Although I cannot know the realities of the board design or that of the whole module, on studying it in profile (shown here, below), it looks as if lots of room was left unused at the bottom. I imagined that the panel layout could have been like this instead:

Afterneath eurorack layout mockup.jpg
Afterneath-Eurorack-Module-4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by synonymist on Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bartimaeus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bartimaeus » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:18 pm

it seems like everyone who's complaining about it being mono has never listened to what it sounds like, because it's really more of a super interesting diffuse echo. if you're just expecting a hall verb to stick at the end of your chain for some natural ambience you'll be very surprised by this hahaha

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:10 am

Bartimaeus wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:18 pm
it seems like everyone who's complaining about it being mono has never listened to what it sounds like,
On the contrary, I think that at least some people critiquing the module for having no dedicated stereo output capability were familiar with the sound of the pedal. The original Afterneath pedal was released several years ago, so many have had a chance to hear, if not play it.
Bartimaeus wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:18 pm
because it's really more of a super interesting diffuse echo. if you're just expecting a hall verb to stick at the end of your chain for some natural ambience you'll be very surprised by this hahaha
The Strymon El Capistan pedal makes a not super interesting tape echo simulation. Excellently done, but pretty standard stuff. Yet it implements stereo ouputs by the optional use of a TRS cable at the output jack. In other words, there is no necessary correllation between whether a device's audio processing is interesting and it's implementation of stereo outputs.

Similarly, a device should not get a pass just because its processing is "interesting". Indeed I would say that, even as the Afterneath pedal was hobbled by its inexplicable lack of trails (spillover), the Afterneath module is begging for true stereo outputs.

Already an owner of the pedal, I bought the module anyway; but I am surprised that EQD passed on the chance to add true stereo outputs to the circuit in the Afterneath module.

SynapseCollapse
Common Wiggler

Post by SynapseCollapse » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:50 am

I got mine in the mail this week, and really like it.

I don't really understand the obsession with stereo modules, and I like that I can either break the feedback path OR use it in pseudo stereo with the send out hard panned with the main output.

synonymist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by synonymist » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:35 am

This weekend I got my Afterneath module installed. Its Mix control might not work: except possibly at first, eventually definitely I could not get any dry signal out of it; only a range between silence and all wet. Otherwise I like it.

EDIT: Wait. What if the "Dry kill" button is latching, not momentary as I thought it was. Hmm...

Compared to the Afterneath pedal precedent, the module is a marked improvement and a logical progression. I found it to be quite playable, both with CV and manually. The unquantized modes are very useful to me, for non-12-tet scales and for non-scales; the other modes, not so much. Plenty to work with there, however. :)

1.jpg

In these pieces, my first go with the Afterneath module, I settled on a "liquid tonal space" kind of thing. Special thanks to Cš-L, which seems to become more powerful each time I play it. Yes, I covered the "Afterneath" badge with black artist's tape. No, I will not discuss how I got it to sound so very stereo (beyond the recommended pseudo-stereo technique, that is). Sorry! Session notes are at each track's webpage:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”