Omsonic/dBs Stochastic Inspiration Generator

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

phinland
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Omsonic/dBs Stochastic Inspiration Generator

Post by phinland » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:25 am

windspirit wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:12 pm
Looking really good. Is there a way to clear settings without turning all of the knobs?
Hi, good question, and yes, absolutely. There''s a global Reset you see me do right at the beginning, but also a Track-specific Reset (Run+Loop+TrackSelect). I just...er...forgot to do it in the vid!! D'oh! Check out the manual link here: https://omsonic.co.uk/product/stochasti ... sequencer/

phinland
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by phinland » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:39 am

starthief wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:45 am
It does say "trigger output for pinging LPGs", which would have to be a short trigger rather than a gate... but also it says "duration" is one of the parameters with probability control, so that's a little confusing.

Also says there are secondary functions and other features TBA. I wonder about the A, D, P, R, L labels.
*Very* good questions! The TrigOut is really another new concept in sequencing, it's a 'TrEG' out - it defaults to a short 75ms decay which will trigger an LPG and digital modules, but it can also output ASD envelops *built in*, rising and/or falling and/or sustaining (in combination) as a proportion of the randomly selected Duration. All that can combine with Ratchets to give 16 different possible articulations for the Trigger. It's very cool. Check out the Appendix in the manual for the various shapes. https://omsonic.co.uk/product/stochasti ... sequencer/

And A D P R L! You were paying attention! :-)

These are (some of) the 2ry / 3ry functions. Every knob and fader does 3 things depending on whether you're holding Loop, Run or nothing when you turn it. pr(X) means 'control the probability of X'.

controls +Loop are 2ry and concern pitch
Ascend, Descend, pr(Portamento), pr(Repeat), Linearity. (A,D,L 'steer' the melody up, down, or make the melody more stepwise)
Note sliders set a fixed octave offset specific to that note only (great for harmonising)
Durations become dotted or extended (4 and 8 bars)
Tempo & 1/16 set Loop Start/End

controls +Run are 3ry and concern articulation
pr(Attack), pr(Decay), pr(Pause), pr(Ratchet), pr(Legato)
Note sliders set a fixed level offset specific to that note only (great for control foreground/background prominence)
Durations become irregular e.g. 5/16
Tempo & 1/16 set Time Signature top (count) & bottom (division)

phinland
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by phinland » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:48 am

Mr. Roboto wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:34 am
For me what's missing is a 13th slider for rests. As I understood it now there will be a note on every step. Of course, this step can be 1/16 a 1/4 or whatever in length. If you use percussive sounds you will have a kind of rest therefore.

But as I understood, the "Trigger" out is in fact a Gate out, right? That would mean with sustained notes you never have any rests in your generated sequence. That's why I'm wondering if there is a (hidden) option to have a probability value for a rest. If not a 13th slider would be great or alternatively another knob.
Hi, good question, and you're absolutely right, there is. Two in fact:

First, there is what we call 'Automatic Density', where the note slider heights control the likelihood not only of that note firing but of a trig firing too. e.g. a small amount of C only would say 'play me some Cs' so they intersperse with rests (non-trigs) of whatever the selected durations. Raise the C more and the note:rest density increases until at the top, it's solid Cs.

Obviously this works across multiple notes, so if all your values are low you get sparser material: raise them and it's denser, but obviously with the relative probabilities of all the notes retained.

Second, which overrides everything (including high Note sliders) is with the 3ry Pause function (Run+Octave0).

Finally, note that it always randomising everything: Pause and Automatic Density only control if a TrEG fires (yes, TrEG: see previous post!). That way, you can opt to dial up your LPG or VCF a little so you hear the pitch changes in the background but it only punches through when the TrEG fires.

Enjoy!

phinland
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by phinland » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:50 am

nios wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:56 pm
I didn't quite grasp it/what the point was until hearing that demo, that's actually quite quite cool. Can it transpose octaves across the melodies?
Yes, both overall (with the Octave probabilities) and specific to each Note (2ry function).

phinland
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by phinland » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:56 am

MARK27 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:43 pm
I love the idea of this, but I have a couple of thoughts:

1) It doesn't seem like there is much in the way of CV control. Can notes and note probabilities be changed via CV? It doesn't look like it, but it's hard to tell. Maybe this is meant as a controller. That's fine, of course, but it seems like a missed opportunity for people doing more generative kinds of music.

2) Will there be a black panel version? Most of the OmSonic released have been black panels. It would be nice to have a cohesive look among one's OmSonic stuff.
Hi, it's a great question, and we looked at CV control but felt it missed the essentially *performative* nature of the module. Moreover, that would require a huge number of sockets: 23 just for the primary functions, and there are 2ry and 3ry also, so some 70 sockets! The point of Stochastic is that it is *inherently* generative: if you want to alter its behaviour, we want you to *perform* that alteration and listen to how it responds--and we hope we've provided enough control to do that (we think we have!).

On BlackPanel, yes a few people have asked for that and we're doing some I think. Check with omsonic :-)

phinland
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by phinland » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:58 am

skreetis wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:29 pm
Interesting! I’m curious to see some more demos of it in different styles.
Yes! Watch omsonic's channel over the next weeks as we'll be putting more up. I've kept it pretty mainstream so far to show that even a fully generative module can make viable EDM but yes, it's really designed for much more than just that. :-)

phinland
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by phinland » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:07 am

Mr. Roboto wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:18 am
Looks very promising. So I‘m really interested. :hyper:

Maybe the developer got at least a little inspiration from the (terribly implemented) Vince Clarke Pattern Generator?
Cool, great to hear you're hyped! And, interesting - but actually, no, I'd honestly not even heard of it! Looking now, it doesn't appear to be at all probabilistic (i.e. setting *relative* probabilities for members of a set of things like Notes) so I guess it just has some Vincesque patterns in it. No, my idea came out of learning about comparator circuits on an electronics course, back in 2009. I had a software implementation in 2014 on a RaspberryPi in 2014 but the modern prototyping and PCB fabrication opportunities of the last 3 years meant this was born for Eurorack, so here we are!

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:43 am

Wow, this has some deep features. I'm looking forward to more videos 8-)

Acquadar
Common Wiggler

Post by Acquadar » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:12 am

And when it’ll be ready to buy?

phinland
Learning to Wiggle

Post by phinland » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:25 am

Acquadar wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:12 am
And when it’ll be ready to buy?
The first batch is ready now, so just go to the omsonic site...

https://omsonic.co.uk/product/stochasti ... sequencer/

...and put your name on the list. We're in manufacturing at the moment, so get your name on the list! We're doing batches as fast as we can, omsonic will fill you in.

Thanks so much for your interest dude! :-)

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:50 pm

Nice concept. But why is “rest” not one of the rhythmic probabilities?
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

phinland
Learning to Wiggle

Post by phinland » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:08 pm

electricanada wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:50 pm
It is! Except it’s called ‘Pause’ — Run+Octave0 sets probability that it will rest for the selected duration (ie won’t send out a TrEG). This can also be controlled by Automatic Density (see above, and the manual).

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:21 am

phinland wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:08 pm
electricanada wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:50 pm
It is! Except it’s called ‘Pause’ — Run+Octave0 sets probability that it will rest for the selected duration (ie won’t send out a TrEG). This can also be controlled by Automatic Density (see above, and the manual).
Excellent, thanks. What’s the timetable for all the other out of stock modules? Strange looks interesting.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

phinland
Learning to Wiggle

Post by phinland » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:34 am

electricanada wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:21 am
Excellent, thanks. What’s the timetable for all the other out of stock modules? Strange looks interesting.
No problem, thank *you* for your interest, and a great question! Timetable is that omsonic is ramping up production so asap. Strange is great (but I'm bound to say that, it's another one of mine!) so watch this space, because it's coming back with a vengeance!

obust
Learning to Wiggle

Post by obust » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:39 am

Wow. I am sold on the Stochastic! I've been looking for a module like this and it is better than what I was looking for :yay:
Can't wait for the next batch to be available.

phinland
Learning to Wiggle

Post by phinland » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:07 pm

obust wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:39 am
Wow. I am sold on the Stochastic! I've been looking for a module like this and it is better than what I was looking for :yay:
Hey, cool, that's really great to hear, thanks dude! Make sure you get your name on the list with omsonic to secure yours! :-) Enjoy!

obust
Learning to Wiggle

Post by obust » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:30 am

phinland wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:07 pm
obust wrote:
Hey, cool, that's really great to hear, thanks dude! Make sure you get your name on the list with omsonic to secure yours! :-) Enjoy!
I have tried to contact them on facebook and email omsonicelectronics@gmail.com but no answer this week yet :/
Is there a communication medium you recommend ?

phinland
Learning to Wiggle

Post by phinland » Wed May 06, 2020 7:13 am

obust wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:30 am
phinland wrote:
obust wrote:
I have tried to contact them on facebook and email omsonicelectronics@gmail.com but no answer this week yet :/
Hi, sorry to hear that, only just spotted this - did you hear back? If not, apologies, but please try again and we'll pick up.

obust
Learning to Wiggle

Post by obust » Mon May 11, 2020 9:30 am

phinland wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:13 am
obust wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:30 am
phinland wrote:
obust wrote:
Hi, sorry to hear that, only just spotted this - did you hear back? If not, apologies, but please try again and we'll pick up.
Got a response eventually :)

Mr. Roboto
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Roboto » Mon May 11, 2020 4:58 pm

So the first batch has already been sold? Any plans and timelines for a second rum?
Der Sägezahn, der Sägezahn, der hat's mir angetan.

Less talk, more action!

phinland
Learning to Wiggle

Post by phinland » Fri May 22, 2020 7:09 am

Mr. Roboto wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:58 pm
So the first batch has already been sold? Any plans and timelines for a second rum?
They're in build at the moment - I'm not sure when they're due, but soon. Maybe check with omsonic (and obviously if you're not already on the list, make sure you are! If you've expressed an interest though you will be).

MARK27
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MARK27 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:55 pm

Is there anyone that has used both the Omsonic SIC and the Vermona Melodicer? They seem to be built around the same principle, but of course, the devil is in the details.

Can anyone describe the differences between the two modules? Otherwise, I'll end up getting the Vermona just because it has a black panel.

phinland
Learning to Wiggle

Post by phinland » Tue May 26, 2020 9:10 am

MARK27 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:55 pm
Is there anyone that has used both the Omsonic SIC and the Vermona Melodicer? They seem to be built around the same principle, but of course, the devil is in the details.

Can anyone describe the differences between the two modules? Otherwise, I'll end up getting the Vermona just because it has a black panel.
Hi, I may of course be biased because I'm the guy who designed omsonic's Stochastic! (My original concept was done back in 2009)

However, the omsonic IS available in black!! Just email them. :-)

The omsonic also has 4 channels with the expander (Melodicer is single channel only), has a wider range of duration values (1/16 through to 8 bar drones plus dotted notes, irrationals and triplets/quints etc.), 18 event loops, reverse loops, individual per channel independent looping, rhythm, time sigs, built in ASR envelopes (i.e. you don't need 4 EGs with it), pauses and portamentos, individual per-note transposition and levels, and has a totally unique 'understanding' of melody, so will produce more or less 'jumpy or smooth' melody depending on how you set it. I can't speak for the Melodicer, and Vermona are a great company, but I haven't seen it do any of that stuff in the videos I've seen. Anyway, here's my manual, showing everything: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Sp2 ... wG6eM/edit
Last edited by phinland on Wed May 27, 2020 3:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

MARK27
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MARK27 » Tue May 26, 2020 1:37 pm

Okay, I think you sold me. That manual is really well written compared to many. Well done on that bit.

phinland
Learning to Wiggle

Post by phinland » Tue May 26, 2020 4:40 pm

MARK27 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:37 pm
Okay, I think you sold me. That manual is really well written compared to many. Well done on that bit.
Ha, thanks dude, it took bloody ages to write, but I hope it makes sense and gives a flavour of what's possible with my little module! :-)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”