Cwejman SM-1

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Sanys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sanys » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:48 pm

SM-1 in on the way here. I'm out of rack space when it's here, Probably would have to get rid of BLD-2 :roll:

SnipeCatcher
Common Wiggler

Post by SnipeCatcher » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:23 pm

My SM-1 just arrived. One day earlier than expected. This thing sounds amazing! Very happy so far :)

SnipeCatcher
Common Wiggler

Post by SnipeCatcher » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:36 pm

This is kinda noisy and dumb, but I was playing around with some percussion on the SM-1

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:00 am

SnipeCatcher wrote:This is kinda noisy and dumb
Don’t worry... most modular videos are.

Some cool sounds here though. :tu:
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

SnipeCatcher
Common Wiggler

Post by SnipeCatcher » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:21 am

Gringo Starr wrote:
SnipeCatcher wrote:This is kinda noisy and dumb
Don’t worry... most modular videos are.

Some cool sounds here though. :tu:
Haha! Thanks:)
Definitely in the learning part, but I’m over the moon for this thing so far.

B0bcat
Common Wiggler

Post by B0bcat » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:27 am

SnipeCatcher wrote:This is kinda noisy and dumb, but I was playing around with some percussion on the SM-1
Very cool!!
WTB: Intellijel Dixie v1, Intellijel Spock, Plan B / SubCon Model 15 VCO

SnipeCatcher
Common Wiggler

Post by SnipeCatcher » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:40 am

^^^Thanks!^^^

musicaespressiva
Common Wiggler

Re: Cwejman SM-1

Post by musicaespressiva » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:56 am

The Disquiet wrote:Getting familiar with the wonderful Cwejman SM-1. All sounds are solely from the SM-1.

https://soundcloud.com/poly_mod/sm-1-arp

The two VCOs are tuned in a fifth, first one is a SAW, 2nd a PWM Saw. The PWM is done by LFO2. LFO1 modulates the cutoff of the filter as well is the spacing of the filter.

I'm playing through several filter settings, first clean and at the end SAT1.

I've played keyboard through a Yarns in ARP mode to provide the pitches.
Recorded in one take in Pro Tools, added bit of delay (Echoboy) and reverb (Adaptiverb)
What a beast. Thank you for the demo.
WTB: Keith McMillen 12 Steps controller with MIDI expander

SnipeCatcher
Common Wiggler

Post by SnipeCatcher » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:08 pm

did a really simple jam to give myself an assignment. I’m new at this, so I use drum modules and never made much percussion from scratch, but I’m focusing my time on really getting to know the SM-1. I decided to make several sounds on the SM-1 only.
Kick
Snare
Hats
Bass
Pad
Lead

Everything but the lead was sampled into and sequenced by my Octatrack.

Here’s a simple little demo, though maybe I’m the only noob in this thread :)

SnipeCatcher
Common Wiggler

Post by SnipeCatcher » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:34 am

Been fairly obsessed with my SM-1. Maybe it’s because after foolishly selling my BLD it’s the only Cwejman I own. A very pleasant surprise is how amazing it is for percussion. I’ve sent countless hours sampling and recording drum sound and rhythmic stuff. It also makes a lovely synth :)
This jam was the result of just goofing around, making sounds and sampling them into my Octatrack

aze_007
Common Wiggler

Post by aze_007 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:01 am

Hi SM-1 Users,

can anyone tell me what the word Loop is supposed top mean on the two Decay knobs of the two ADSR's. I would have expected that if you turn these down to minimum setting the ADSR turns to an AD Looper. But it does not. Equally the two switches above between Attack and Decay with the settings ADx and Loop In seem to do nothing.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Alexander

Euro and nothing else - but isn't that enough?
Member of the 100x100 Club of Dieter Doepfer Supporters.

B0bcat
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by B0bcat » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:50 pm

aze_007 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:01 am
Hi SM-1 Users,

can anyone tell me what the word Loop is supposed top mean on the two Decay knobs of the two ADSR's. I would have expected that if you turn these down to minimum setting the ADSR turns to an AD Looper. But it does not. Equally the two switches above between Attack and Decay with the settings ADx and Loop In seem to do nothing.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Alexander

To get the envelopes looping you need to patch a positive (?) offset voltage into Gate 1 (which is normaled to Gate 2), AND turn the DecaySustain most of the way down. You can use the cycling AD as additional oscillators although the knob range limits the frequency - negative voltage into A and D jacks helps with that
Last edited by B0bcat on Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WTB: Intellijel Dixie v1, Intellijel Spock, Plan B / SubCon Model 15 VCO

versipellis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by versipellis » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:36 pm

Loving these audio demos, guys!
tunes: https://www.soundcloud.com/dycedot
in boston? I run nights: https://www.facebook.com/4OTFEvents/
selling [Qu-bit Bloom; NE Cursus Iteritas]: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229821

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:45 pm

after further thought I decided to pick one of these up for a smaller case!! ;) I removed other non-cwejman modules where there was overlap covering.

Mosiej
Common Wiggler

Post by Mosiej » Tue May 12, 2020 5:12 pm

one thing I cant get past is that the VCO's have no seperate outputs. are users experienceing this as a limitation ? otherwise this thing is wicked cool

BlackDoors
Common Wiggler

Post by BlackDoors » Tue May 12, 2020 6:32 pm

Mosiej wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 5:12 pm
one thing I cant get past is that the VCO's have no seperate outputs. are users experienceing this as a limitation ? otherwise this thing is wicked cool
Not really a huge problem, the filter cutoff and vco2 frequency can be modulated by vco1 using existing normalisations. Also, you have access to two onboard lfos via normalisations and also on jacks, these lfos go to audio rate and do track. Each VCO has two fm inputs as well as tracking from the master tune input plus it’s own PWM and sync jack, and you also have ring mod, so there’s lots to explore.

I do find it good to have an attenuator, mixer and maybe a vca or two spare nearby in the rack.....that’s because there’s no attenuators on the filter ext audio in jack, and an external cv mixer can give a little more flexibility adding modulations for the filter CM, for example.

There are some minor differences compared to building this voice up from (say) VCO-2RM, D-LFO, MMF-1S, plus an ADSR-VC2, but you win in size and price. And you get a great octave control and master tracking switch section all on board, as well as the option of using one of the VCOs as a noise source.

Just a superb module, a very powerful and flexible voice for the size.

Mosiej
Common Wiggler

Post by Mosiej » Wed May 13, 2020 12:23 pm

Thanks for the informative response BlackDoors. Yes you make a very good point about form/size factor. Just still a little bummer.. I do suppose you can get a somewhat clean OSC out from the MMF Output? Also wondering where the VCA is exactly in this module.. in the MMF, like the MMF-1S? That would make sense to me... is the ADSR's auto linked to it? Somewhat confusing.. can't find any manual online.. Cwejman hasn't even update his main website.. Only Cwejman can get away with a stunt like that lol. My SM-1 is in the mail ! so i will be joining the club here :)

mmontazeri
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mmontazeri » Wed May 13, 2020 2:02 pm

The closest to a manual is a few messages from Maho:

the sections : Master, 2xLFO, 2xOSC, Filter, 2xEnvelope, VCA, Inputs & outputs. The signal flow goes left and right.

✨Master :
for TUNE CV or the FILTER CUTOFF and 3 switches connect LFO1,OSC1,OSC2 pitch for frequency.

It has an octave switch TRANSPOSE and GLIDE.

✨LFO1 & LFO2 : are identical and have RATE manual controllers ( speed ) .
There are wave-selectors bellow RATEs. It can be controlled by external CV inputs and those are calibrated for 1V/oct.

SYNC input is common for both.
LFOs has also outputs for the external use ( to the right on panel ).

✨OSC1 and OSC2: are identical but..
OSC1 + Noise
OSC2 + Ring modulator

It has manual frequency controllers COARSE and FINE TUNE.

OSC1 and OSC2have a internal sync switch.
OSC1 is master OSC2 is slave. It menas synced OSC2 must have a higher frequency than OSC1 when it syncs.

OSC2 has a ring modulator, you can select.

PULSE with controller in Oscillators.
PULSE has 2 modes *

Sawtooth + Triangle
Sawtooth is pulse width control

You can control Osc pitch separately. FM2 follows 1V/oct.

✨Filter :
you can manually control the cutoff

Cutoff 1 : has 3 different inputs. so, the cutoff can be controlled by
*OSC1 & LFO1
*External CV controlled voltage and this is calibrated by 1V/oct& LFO2.

Cutoff 2 & Cutoff 3 are bipolar.

RES : Resonance self oscillating switch.
SAT1: Symmetrical soft grip.
SAT2: Hard Asymmetrical Tube like distortion.
1POLE/2POLE: multimode filter consists of 2 identical filters so you can have 2 pole or 4 pole and dual peak controlled by spepcing manually and external CV.
and also single or dual notch.

✨Envelope:
Conventional ADSR generator with looping A D envelopes when sustain is Zero.

ADSR and MMF have separate outputs.

✨VCA: the output of VCA is controlled by envelope 2 and external control of velocity.
It has 2 modes: *Semi exponential and *Liner.
VCA 's output is the main out put called VOICE.

Signal from “voice”. It looks like adsr 1 doesn’t affect the amplitude.
If envelope is served as amplitude of gain, only adsr2 affects. If I activate “cutoff 2” control, ads 1 controls cutoff.
Even though I have gate signal into both “gate 1” and “ gate 2”, only “gate 2” affects the signal.
✨Answer: It controls the amplitude and it works like that.
( See the mark AMP ( black square ) under ADSR2 ) .
☘️Q2, What is the switch between “res” and “osc” under filter section?
✨Answer : You can position the filter in oscillation mode and it produces single or dual tone in dual bypass mode.
Resonating is almost oscillating.

BlackDoors
Common Wiggler

Post by BlackDoors » Wed May 13, 2020 6:17 pm

Mosiej wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:23 pm
Thanks for the informative response BlackDoors. Yes you make a very good point about form/size factor. Just still a little bummer.. I do suppose you can get a somewhat clean OSC out from the MMF Output? Also wondering where the VCA is exactly in this module.. in the MMF, like the MMF-1S? That would make sense to me... is the ADSR's auto linked to it? Somewhat confusing.. can't find any manual online.. Cwejman hasn't even update his main website.. Only Cwejman can get away with a stunt like that lol. My SM-1 is in the mail ! so i will be joining the club here :)
Congrats, I hope you enjoy!

The MMF output gets the output of the filter so it’s the oscs mixed with the external input if the filter is in lpf and all the way open. Note that this can still sound a little saturated if the levels are high, of course easy to back the levels off. The module’s saturation switch works on the mmf output (ie presumably is saturating the filter, not the output vca).

The output VCA level is hard wired to ADSR2 but there’s an additional velocity input which you can deploy externally (or patch to a LFO for AM effects). Each envelope has its own gate input too (with gate 1 normalised to gate 2 when unpatched).

Forgot to mention another benefit on the SM-1 is the filter cutoff tracking pot. No need for another buffered mult, and keeps the filter external cutoff mod jack free. :yay:

John

Mosiej
Common Wiggler

Post by Mosiej » Thu May 14, 2020 9:24 am

Thanks for re-posting that mmontazeri ... super useful. Ahh yes, BlackDoors, the filter will always saturated them a bit.. I guess we cant have everything :P.

I've never owned a module with a Velocity input, which CV signals do you tend to send it? I understand LFO for AM etc but not sure about getting slight velocity differences between gates.

Also not sure what you meant about "Forgot to mention another benefit on the SM-1 is the filter cutoff tracking pot. No need for another buffered mult, and keeps the filter external cutoff mod jack free." What would the buffer mult be for?

BlackDoors
Common Wiggler

Post by BlackDoors » Thu May 14, 2020 2:54 pm

If you want the filter to key track while your melody is controlled Using the V/Oct Tune input, turn the filter cutoff tracking knob to ‘CAL’. Of course, there are many other techniques that can draw on this function and knob, but the commonest is making the filter move up and down together with the frequency of your musical notes. If you didn’t have this knob.... you’d need a buffered mult to copy the melody tune jack to the filter cutoff to achieve the same result.

Velocity is good just for varying the volume of notes or sounds, good to use for drum accents or just expressive keyboard playing. Think of a piano, the volume varies so much depending how hard you hit a key.

Just to be clear, the MMF output can saturate when the levels are set high, Or if the SAT knob is engaged. Turning off SAT (centre position) and reducing the levels of the oscs into the filters away from the maximum gets you a nice rather clean MMF output, if the filter is open.

Mosiej
Common Wiggler

Post by Mosiej » Wed May 20, 2020 3:30 pm

Mine finally arrived!.. Def very impressed. i was previous owner of the MMF-1s, so i knew what to expect filter-wise. First impressions: the saturation is amazing. preferable over the MMF-1s for my use case and is somehow raw yet clean which is not what most distortion/saturation gives you. The modulation possibilities are quite well thought out as well.. and makes the synth very jam able

Quick question for users.. what are the inputs under the OSCs that are highlighted in white such as : ADSR1 LFO1 LFO 1 under the respective FM! FM@ and PWM inputs? Cheers!

mmontazeri
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mmontazeri » Wed May 20, 2020 3:45 pm

Those are basically normalled internal modulation. I.e, LFO1 being under FM2 means that LFO1 is internally routed to modulate FM2

aze_007
Common Wiggler

Post by aze_007 » Sat May 23, 2020 5:55 am

Hi, I am going deeper into the module. Thanks mmonatzeri for copying Wowa's notes. I have a question to there owners. My FM1 on OSC1 has no function. No matter if I leave it unpatched (should get ADSR1 envelope) or patch it from any other CV source and no matter if switched to + or to - I have no effect on OSC1. OSC2 works as expected. Any clue?

Thanks,
Alexander
Euro and nothing else - but isn't that enough?
Member of the 100x100 Club of Dieter Doepfer Supporters.

Mosiej
Common Wiggler

Post by Mosiej » Sat May 23, 2020 9:26 am

Another oddity for me is the EXT audio input of the filter.. It Always receives EXT audio when EXT is patched to another OSC.. even if the switch OSC1 X OSC2 is NOT turned to OSC2 X EXT AUDIO.. Anyone else experiencing this? if so what is up with this and the purpose of the switch?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”