FX AID - multi audio effect module

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

mosorensen
Wiggling with Experience

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by mosorensen » Tue May 26, 2020 7:06 am

igorrr wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:14 am
scragz wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:25 pm
Anyone else noticing fairly significant volume drop? If I send a 10vpp signal, 100% dry, on the other end it ends up as 8vpp. 4vpp goes to 3vpp. So pretty consistent ~20% drop. Tested with two FX Aids. I know the Spin chip is all kinds of fussy about levels and expected mixed results with the wet signal but again this is 100% dry.
Can we finally accept that FX AID has the optimized levels eurorack gives to us?
There is no other way to balance both high level guys and moderate level ones.
It is just not possible to have other levels and not to clip at some settings.
Some people want the FX AID to accept -10V...+10V at input, give -10V...+10V at wet output and magically have them both mixed without hitting 12 V rail limit.

FX AID's input should not exceed -7V...+7 V, which is a wise compromise.
FX AID's output is limited to -6V...+6V, which is also a wise compromise, so dry and wet mix is never above 10 V.
I deliberately limited it to 10V vs 12 V, because some other modules can be following FX AID, and them are not obliged to use rail to rail parts to be safe from nasty distortion. How can I explain to a client that FX AID's output is heavily distorted being fed to his/her X times more expensive module from a popular brand?
FX AID has 3 dB Dry/Wet mixing law to avoid level drop at 50/50 mixing. This required dropping dry amplitude a bit to fit to the above described limits.

Amen. Thanks for clarifying and being thoughtful about this. I have FX Aid, it is my favorite reverb, and I have never had problems with the volume.

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Tue May 26, 2020 8:16 am

igorrr wrote:
Some people want the FX AID to accept -10V...+10V at input, give -10V...+10V at wet output and magically have them both mixed without hitting 12 V rail limit.

FX AID's output is limited to -6V...+6V, which is also a wise compromise, so dry and wet mix is never above 10 V.
I deliberately limited it to 10V vs 12 V, because some other modules can be following FX AID, and them are not obliged to use rail to rail parts to be safe from nasty distortion. How can I explain to a client that FX AID's output is heavily distorted being fed to his/her X times more expensive module from a popular brand?
FX AID has 3 dB Dry/Wet mixing law to avoid level drop at 50/50 mixing. This required dropping dry amplitude a bit to fit to the above described limits.
Great explanation. FWIW I’ve emailed Igor in the past and he always responds (in the first response!) with a detailed explanation and usually a chart or graph. Incredibly good service and knowledge.

Thanks for clarifying re: my question about the sync delay as well!

Dob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dob » Tue May 26, 2020 11:27 am

igorrr wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:37 am
A bit of FX AIDs will soon be delivered to Elevator Sound in UK, and later to Dupertuis Electronique SA in Switzerland.
Thanks for sharing this information, finally got hold of one. Already dispatched today, I'm excited :tu:

scragz
Common Wiggler

Post by scragz » Tue May 26, 2020 3:37 pm

igorrr wrote:
scragz wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:25 pm
Anyone else noticing fairly significant volume drop? If I send a 10vpp signal, 100% dry, on the other end it ends up as 8vpp. 4vpp goes to 3vpp. So pretty consistent ~20% drop. Tested with two FX Aids. I know the Spin chip is all kinds of fussy about levels and expected mixed results with the wet signal but again this is 100% dry.
Can we finally accept that FX AID has the optimized levels eurorack gives to us?
There is no other way to balance both high level guys and moderate level ones.
It is just not possible to have other levels and not to clip at some settings.

I was aware of all the limits of the Spin chip and clipping and all that but I missed the part about dropping the dry signal. Personally I'd prefer that I could choose to attenuate before or after if needed -- like most racks, I have a fuckton of attenuation but very little amplification -- but I understand now why it's like this.

It makes more sense thinking about an effect that is continually added together. I was using it as a delay with percussive sounds, giving a quiet dry signal and then quieter repeats. I generally set my levels at the VCA so by the time I get to my FX section everything has the right relative levels already and I use a bunch of other digital delays and haven't run into this before.

I think it's understandable confusion considering there's no manual documenting this!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”