FX AID - multi audio effect module

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Kattefjaes
Wiggling with Experience

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by Kattefjaes » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:31 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:30 pm
I read that the sample rate is something in the 30'ish range, do you all up it to 44 (whatever the highest is).. i don't get why the default is lower than what's possible..
Presumably to allow for longer delays with a finite buffer size?

xcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xcc » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:32 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
xcc wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:27 pm
bemushroomed wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:32 pm
Getting mine tomorrow. FedEx is a little slower now than last year when i used Signal Sounds.

So which has been your favorite presets?
I have two, and one of them has been stuck on Clouds for a while now. Worth the price alone for that one.
Cool :)

I read that the sample rate is something in the 30'ish range, do you all up it to 44 (whatever the highest is).. i don't get why the default is lower than what's possible.. on e.g clouds i think it makes a huge difference when you change the sample rate to be the highest, it's directly audible to me when i've forgotten to raise it.
I've never seen that before, and can't say I've noticed if true.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:33 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:31 pm
bemushroomed wrote:
I read that the sample rate is something in the 30'ish range, do you all up it to 44 (whatever the highest is).. i don't get why the default is lower than what's possible..
Presumably to allow for longer delays with a finite buffer size?
I see. I would still prefer higher sample rate i think. Does it save this setting if you up it?

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:34 pm

xcc wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:32 pm

If you haven't tried it / seen it, how are you sure you "haven't noticed"? I would suggest you try it, you might be surprised.

xcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xcc » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:39 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:34 pm
xcc wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:32 pm

If you haven't tried it / seen it, how are you sure you "haven't noticed"? I would suggest you try it, you might be surprised.
I suppose I mean to say I haven't noticed anything that sounds like a low sample rate. But I will definitely dig up the manual and see what's happening.

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:42 pm

Some effects may benefit from higher sample rate, others not. Reverbs do not need high SR, you can play with it to change the reverb brightness.
SR is not saved, it is adjusted via CV input if CV is routed to it (4th led).

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:46 pm

igorrr wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:42 pm
Some effects may benefit from higher sample rate, others not. Reverbs do not need high SR, you can play with it to change the reverb brightness.
SR is not saved, it is adjusted via CV input if CV is routed to it (4th led).
Good to know, thanks.

mosorensen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mosorensen » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:51 pm

In the description of the algorithms, what does "input" mean? For example, there is a "Delay into Shimmer" and "Delay into Input Shimmer", and the descriptions look pretty identical.

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:37 am

For Shimmer reverbs "input" means placement of the pitch shifting block. The same word is used in Strymon's BigSky Shimmers. Ordinary Shimmer ("regen" in BigSky) has this pitch shifting block inside the reverb and you get increasing Up or Down shifts as the reverb decays. "Input" version do not have this increasing effects, so you get static pitch shifted decay.
"Reverb Shimmer Combo" program has both input and regeneration pitch shifts for dramatic effect.
"Dual" Shimmer programs have both Up and Down octave pitch shifts with crossfade control.

mosorensen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mosorensen » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:13 am

igorrr wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:37 am
For Shimmer reverbs "input" means placement of the pitch shifting block. The same word is used in Strymon's BigSky Shimmers. Ordinary Shimmer ("regen" in BigSky) has this pitch shifting block inside the reverb and you get increasing Up or Down shifts as the reverb decays. "Input" version do not have this increasing effects, so you get static pitch shifted decay.
"Reverb Shimmer Combo" program has both input and regeneration pitch shifts for dramatic effect.
"Dual" Shimmer programs have both Up and Down octave pitch shifts with crossfade control.
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I was puzzled about the "combos" as well. :tu:

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:41 am

As expected, really great module.

The interface is nice too, it was really great being able to make my own set of effects. I took all the ones that seemed interesting, printed out the "memo", uploaded the FW.. Then i rated the effects from 1-5 and removed the ones i didn't like(/didn't find useful) and replaced with new to try. I only had to redo it 2 times. Now i'm happy with all the effects. The reverbs all have that dark quality to them that i like and find most useful.

For spectral / shimmer reverbs i still prefer my Specular Reverb v3, but i've never heard any better reverb than that so it serves as a reference for me.

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:18 pm

igorrr wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:51 am
The only thing I can focus on now is to provide the requested amounts of FX AIDs to the distributors, any other plans should be delayed.
Any idea when these will be arriving at US dealers?...
Analoge Haven?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”