FX AID - multi audio effect module

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

jvt
Ultra Wiggler

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by jvt » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:29 am

I *finally* got hold of an FX Aid! I was looking through the Delay algorithms on the fxaid.app web page for an algorithm that allows time changes without the emulated BBD or tape pitch modulation effects. I'm interested in a simple "digital" delay where I can manually change the time component without slewing the pitch, but I don't see an easy way to identify which preset(s) meets that criteria based on the descriptions. Any recommendations?

xcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xcc » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:37 am

jvt wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:29 am
I *finally* got hold of an FX Aid! I was looking through the Delay algorithms on the fxaid.app web page for an algorithm that allows time changes without the emulated BBD or tape pitch modulation effects. I'm interested in a simple "digital" delay where I can manually change the time component without slewing the pitch, but I don't see an easy way to identify which preset(s) meets that criteria based on the descriptions. Any recommendations?
That's a pretty rare feature in my experience. I know the 4ms DLD and Chronoblob can do that, but I haven't tried it on the FX Aid.

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:47 am

jvt wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:29 am
Delay Mono Muted & Ping Pong Muted are the only ones which do this afaik

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:06 pm

Getting ready to purchase a Zvex Lo-Fi junky but I see that this unit has modeled it. How close is it?

Edit: oops my bad. I just realized that this was very recently implemented.

xcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xcc » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:22 pm

Gringo Starr wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:06 pm
Getting ready to purchase a Zvex Lo-Fi junky but I see that this unit has modeled it. How close is it?

It doesn't have the different waveshapes, but having had the real thing I think it otherwise pretty much nails it. I would by an FX Aid for that algorithm alone, but I really love wibbly wobbly things.

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:17 pm

xcc wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:22 pm
Gringo Starr wrote:

It doesn't have the different waveshapes, but having had the real thing I think it otherwise pretty much nails it. I would by an FX Aid for that algorithm alone, but I really love wibbly wobbly things.
I think it sounds great! I never used the square waveform and never cared for the noise that came with the original.

xcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xcc » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:54 pm

Struggle wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:17 pm
xcc wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:22 pm
Gringo Starr wrote:

I think it sounds great! I never used the square waveform and never cared for the noise that came with the original.
Yeah I can live without the noise as well. Kind of an upgrade in that way.

luupp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by luupp » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:31 pm

Anyone have some kind of sound demos of the barber pole modes (phaser/pitch shifter/flanger)? Super interested by them, as I love the Buchla 297e but having hard time finding some demos of it.

boom blip
Wiggling with Experience

Post by boom blip » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:29 pm

Would love to hear sound demo's of the SRR on the XL being modulated.

cafesinleche
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cafesinleche » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:07 am

I have a few of igors modules and finally got the FXaid. Super super wonderful.

Igor you make incredibly wonderful and functional modules and just may be my favorite (certainly the most under rated) eurorack designer. Thank you for all that you do.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:27 am

yeah, for real: Igor is among the most talented and generous creators in this format.

deKaro
Common Wiggler

Post by deKaro » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:27 am

Is there a "Best Of FX AID" effects compilation out there? Would be nice if someone could make one.
I use the factory ones on my 3 FX AIDs, because I can't decide even though it has so many banks.
How about a User rating system with stars ***** on the Firmware software? 8-)
i̫͚̬͎̻͗̉

R͋̇̒̏͂͋a̫̝̾ͬ̎ͫn̪̪̪͆̽ͧ͑d̾͑̒ͭͮͨͫo̖͉ͧͮmͦͬ̏ ͔͎̭̯̱͙̏͆̄̇ͪ͊w̠͖͈̖ͮ̌̑̑ͨ̌ͮẩ͙͎̩̺̳ͅĺ̰͖͙̒̌͆̇̎k̍̽͂s̹͎̫̆ͥͣͬ̉ ̣͍͕̬͉̲͑̓͗́͗o̿ͪ̑ͦ̏ͫn̒ ̮̘̜̘̪̉ͭn̮̲̼͎͓͎̮͊ͨ̇ͨͮȇ̮̦̻͖͈̇̓̉ͣv̲̬̪̟̟ͬe̿̔̽r̰̹̍̐̀-̬ͨ̿ë́̅̎̿ͯ̋͑n͍͈͎͙͖͋dͅi̫͚̬͎̻͗̉ñ͈̱g̞̯̠̈́̐ͨ̔̈ͩ ̙͙̹͙̠͍ͮ̀̉ͯ̾p̯͖̰̫͉͇͔a͇t̩̜̗͎ͫ͐ͯ̌͐̓ṭ̭͆̃ͩ̓ḛ̫͈͖̠̼͚̑̇̂͐r͓̳͚͗̅ͩ̋̽̀́ṉ̣͚͔̝͓̎̋̂ͅ

https://www.youtube.com/tonydekaro

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:30 am

deKaro wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:27 am
Is there a "Best Of FX AID" effects compilation out there? Would be nice if someone could make one.
I use the factory ones on my 3 FX AIDs, because I can't decide even though it has so many banks.
How about a User rating system with stars ***** on the Firmware software? 8-)
I love this idea :love:

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:41 am

my 2c: it's a fairly good idea because this cornucopia is pretty massive, but a rating system could quickly lead people to under-explore all the possibilities in their FX Aid, choosing to use only the rated algorithms. besides being an inherently subjective matter, the 'quality' of an audio effect algorithm is also completely context-dependent (what audio you're feeding it; whether the particular algorithm is used end-of-chain, mid-chain, in a feedback loop; etc). and I'm sure most folks who rate an algorithm will do so before trying out all the others in its category.

I'm more in favor of a separate thread focused on crowdsourcing opinions on, say, '10 favorite FX Aid algorithms', so there's more space to explain the contexts surrounding each preference. it would take more time to wade through and aggregate that, but it would be more useful info in the end IMO

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:44 am

cafesinleche wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:07 am
(certainly the most under rated) eurorack designer. Thank you for all that you do.
autopoiesis wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:27 am
yeah, for real: Igor is among the most talented and generous creators in this format.
+3.......tooting into that same Horn

:sb:

Thanky You Igor

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:04 pm

Star ratings are 100% pointless, because stars don’t mean a damn thing. Seriously. Not. A. Damn. Thing. It’s noise. A one star for one person is a five star to another.

What would really help is some living documentation where usage tips (actual scenarios) could be appended to each algo… “try this!”. Maybe some keywording, search.

I’m facing a comparable problem with WaveEdit Online.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:04 pm

I love the lofi mode.
Makes think, it would be nice to have a stereo compressor mode!
With ratio, threshold, and release parameters.

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:07 am

I (for myself) would not need a user based star rating since everybody might use their FX AID in a different way/scenario? :hmm: But that's only my opinion and doesn't mean, that somebody else might use such a feature - like the new way for effect navigation on the module.

My battle is more a luxary problem. As more and more effects are added* I sometimes struggle to find the right one. It's a little bit like on Netflix, when you are browsing for hours instead of watching a movie. So sometimes an effect demo source might be helpful for wigglers, which do not know all the details between e.g. the reverb/delays. But I see, that this is a looooot of work...

* please do not stop ;)

southberry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by southberry » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:17 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:04 pm
I love the lofi mode.
Makes think, it would be nice to have a stereo compressor mode!
With ratio, threshold, and release parameters.
Oh yeah a stereo compressor can be an amazing addition

Squallaz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Squallaz » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:27 am

Hi guys. No one is experiencing any distortion coming from the output of some algorithms of the module?

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:32 am

Squallaz wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:27 am
Hi guys. No one is experiencing any distortion coming from the output of some algorithms of the module?
Edit: Igor explains below
igorrr wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:14 am
FX AID's input should not exceed -7V...+7 V, which is a wise compromise.
FX AID's output is limited to -6V...+6V, which is also a wise compromise, so dry and wet mix is never above 10 V.
I deliberately limited it to 10V vs 12 V, because some other modules can be following FX AID, and them are not obliged to use rail to rail parts to be safe from nasty distortion. How can I explain to a client that FX AID's output is heavily distorted being fed to his/her X times more expensive module from a popular brand?
FX AID has 3 dB Dry/Wet mixing law to avoid level drop at 50/50 mixing. This required dropping dry amplitude a bit to fit to the above described limits.
In other words, just attenuate the signal a bit going in and you should be fine

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:55 am

Oh yes, a stereo compressor would be fantstic. Although that may mean I have to buy another one!

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:08 am

not only a kompressor,
also: a kompressor specially tailored for ducking/sidechain/gating purposes* ( stereo! ) would be super-welcome.

* not shure if this is possible (in stereo) with the FXaid ?.......the essentiell part would be the sidechain Input (mono)

i for example like to send my main mono synth voice thru a delay ( pingpong or so),
then thru a FXaid for (strong) reverberation, and then thru a steroe compressor for sidechaing/ducking purposes.
ducked by its original source sound. At the end of all another FXaid for final (subtle) Reverb.
doing this gives great possibilitys with just one single monophonic synthline.

now, if "a" FXaid could do the ducking, now that would be great ! ;)
( having only 3 parameters available would a ducking-comp require a different parameter set than a regular comp i´d say )

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:39 am

good ideas Funky40. this could be a whole new category of FX Aid effects. compressors, limiters, duckers, gates, side chain, etc!

Granny
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Granny » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:20 am

Funky40 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:08 am

also: a kompressor specially tailored for ducking/sidechain/gating purposes* ( stereo! ) would be super-welcome.

* not shure if this is possible (in stereo) with the FXaid ?.......the essentiell part would be the sidechain Input (mono)
t parameter set than a regular comp i´d say )
I would guess that wouldn't work well as the reaction time would be pretty slow

Return to “Eurorack Modules”