FX AID - multi audio effect module

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Post Reply
User avatar
Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5999
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:08 pm
Location: on a big voyage

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by Funky40 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:45 am

scragz wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:39 pm
Funky40 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:32 pm
that lo-fi junky FX, what is it exactly ? (the function it does)
It's basically a smashed compressor with a tape warble.
ahh, its a compressor :lol:
thanks

i tryed it, i had no clue what it is :oops: :lol:



:hmm: , but how is a tape warble coming into a compressor ?


edit:
ahhh ok, it seems to be a lo-fi chorus.

the first demo with Guitar in the lofi junky page gives me a good idea of what it is and how to use
MikeLeeBirds wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:12 pm
Funky40 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:32 pm
that lo-fi junky FX, what is it exactly ? (the function it does)
https://www.zvex.com/guitar-pedals/ins ... ects-pedal


User avatar
jvt
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 811
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:40 pm
Location: Michigan, US

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by jvt » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:22 am

ronnieb wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:47 am
jvt wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:29 am
I *finally* got hold of an FX Aid! I was looking through the Delay algorithms on the fxaid.app web page for an algorithm that allows time changes without the emulated BBD or tape pitch modulation effects. I'm interested in a simple "digital" delay where I can manually change the time component without slewing the pitch, but I don't see an easy way to identify which preset(s) meets that criteria based on the descriptions. Any recommendations?
Delay Mono Muted & Ping Pong Muted are the only ones which do this afaik

The mute is not what I'm after. I just looking for a simple clean digital delay that without the BBD behavior when changing the time component. I stumbled on the "Delay Clock Sync" factory preset which appears to have the right behavior (with the right settings), but it requires an external clock. Is there some way to build from this preset to create the sort of delay I'm describing?

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 489
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:05 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by zerodivide » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:24 pm

Funky40 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:45 am
scragz wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:39 pm
Funky40 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:32 pm
that lo-fi junky FX, what is it exactly ? (the function it does)
It's basically a smashed compressor with a tape warble.
ahh, its a compressor :lol:
thanks

i tryed it, i had no clue what it is :oops: :lol:



:hmm: , but how is a tape warble coming into a compressor ?


edit:
ahhh ok, it seems to be a lo-fi chorus.

the first demo with Guitar in the lofi junky page gives me a good idea of what it is and how to use
MikeLeeBirds wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:12 pm
Funky40 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:32 pm
that lo-fi junky FX, what is it exactly ? (the function it does)
https://www.zvex.com/guitar-pedals/ins ... ects-pedal
its supposed to give that unstable pitch you would find from an old tape machine, ala Boards of Canada. I wouldn't exactly call it a compressor, its more like a "make low-fi" maker

User avatar
scragz
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 423
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:19 pm

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by scragz » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:41 pm

zerodivide wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:24 pm
its supposed to give that unstable pitch you would find from an old tape machine, ala Boards of Canada. I wouldn't exactly call it a compressor, its more like a "make low-fi" maker
Yeah I wouldn't call it a compressor per se. And the end result is "low-fi" but I think it's helpful to break that down into the building blocks to help understand what it's actually doing especially since that word could mean a lot of things.

It's my understanding it's way too much compression and then....not really a chorus but more of a vibrato, like the oscillating part of a chorus without the other signal mixed it. That's all it is though, right? I don't actually have the pedal and haven't updated FX Aid yet.

User avatar
Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5999
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:08 pm
Location: on a big voyage

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by Funky40 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:37 pm

thanks @all

this will help me to understand in which type of patches a check might be sinful.
my first try was totally into the dark and yielded to nothing.
But its stunning to see that Igor was able to manage to clone that FX on the FXaid


zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 489
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:05 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by zerodivide » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:12 pm

scragz wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:41 pm
zerodivide wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:24 pm
its supposed to give that unstable pitch you would find from an old tape machine, ala Boards of Canada. I wouldn't exactly call it a compressor, its more like a "make low-fi" maker
Yeah I wouldn't call it a compressor per se. And the end result is "low-fi" but I think it's helpful to break that down into the building blocks to help understand what it's actually doing especially since that word could mean a lot of things.

It's my understanding it's way too much compression and then....not really a chorus but more of a vibrato, like the oscillating part of a chorus without the other signal mixed it. That's all it is though, right? I don't actually have the pedal and haven't updated FX Aid yet.
Ya basically. It also filters out the high end frequencies too. And it modulates the pitch based on 3 diff waveforms.
The FXAid version sounds good in the demo but honestly it doesn't compare to the real module sadly. I did a side by side and they are quite different.
Going to have to keep my module
Last edited by zerodivide on Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

technomania
Common Wiggler
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:47 pm
Location: USA

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by technomania » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:16 pm

Is there a cheat sheet showing all the modes?

User avatar
scragz
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 423
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:19 pm

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by scragz » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:17 pm

technomania wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:16 pm
Is there a cheat sheet showing all the modes?
Make your firmware at fxaid.app and then you can print a two sided cheat sheet for the ones you are using. Or if you just want to see everything available it's at that site.

User avatar
mvdirty
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:03 pm

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by mvdirty » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:19 pm

technomania wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:16 pm
Is there a cheat sheet showing all the modes?
This may also be of interest: http://www.vo1t.com/Euro/Illustrated/Ha ... FX_Aid.pdf

technomania
Common Wiggler
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:47 pm
Location: USA

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by technomania » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:20 pm

scragz wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:17 pm
technomania wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:16 pm
Is there a cheat sheet showing all the modes?
Make your firmware at fxaid.app and then you can print a two sided cheat sheet for the ones you are using. Or if you just want to see everything available it's at that site.
Thank you!

User avatar
igorrr
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 776
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:52 am
Location: Ukraine

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by igorrr » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:39 am

zerodivide wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:12 pm
The FXAid version sounds good in the demo but honestly it doesn't compare to the real module sadly. I did a side by side and they are quite different.
Going to have to keep my module
Actually it can closely mimic 99% of the Lo-Fi Junky sound.
The compressor has the same threshold and time parameters – the first part of the demo shows it on drums. Original thing has its attack portion hitting +12 V limit, so it clips at this high amplitude, mine version has lower amplitude, but the same clipping amount to match it.
BBD part has the same cut off frequency and slope. Also you can adjust that cut off frequency with SRR control making it brighter or darker if needed.
Original thing has a limited modulation depth on slow rates – mine has the same big range.
Noise is lower, but hardly anybody miss it. According to the Junky’s thread some users were sending their modules for modification, where compressor gain and threshold were reduced to have less noise.
Even LFO bleed to the output is modeled too.

You can record something via your original module (if it was not modified) and I will show the FX AID version settings matching it.

Squallaz
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:45 pm

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by Squallaz » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:19 am

don't mess with the boss bro haha

User avatar
JES
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 679
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by JES » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:24 am

Sorry if this has been covered. If I'm using this in a purely mono setup, what do you recommend doing for the stereo output algorithms? Just take one output (which one?) or do I need to sum them outside the module somehow?
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

User avatar
igorrr
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 776
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:52 am
Location: Ukraine

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by igorrr » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:55 am

This depends on the particular effect. If we are talking about Ping-Pong Delay, then listening to Left or Right channel gives twice bigger time gap between repeats compared to L+R mix.
There is Frequency Shifter program which send plus shift to one channel and minus shift to the other channel.
So you should check description to the each effects for such nuances.

User avatar
Dedal
Common Wiggler
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:45 pm
Location: Russia

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by Dedal » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:13 pm

absolutely confirm, I personally compared with the original face to face and did not notice any difference.
igorrr wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:39 am
zerodivide wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:12 pm
The FXAid version sounds good in the demo but honestly it doesn't compare to the real module sadly. I did a side by side and they are quite different.
Going to have to keep my module
Actually it can closely mimic 99% of the Lo-Fi Junky sound.
The compressor has the same threshold and time parameters – the first part of the demo shows it on drums. Original thing has its attack portion hitting +12 V limit, so it clips at this high amplitude, mine version has lower amplitude, but the same clipping amount to match it.
BBD part has the same cut off frequency and slope. Also you can adjust that cut off frequency with SRR control making it brighter or darker if needed.
Original thing has a limited modulation depth on slow rates – mine has the same big range.
Noise is lower, but hardly anybody miss it. According to the Junky’s thread some users were sending their modules for modification, where compressor gain and threshold were reduced to have less noise.
Even LFO bleed to the output is modeled too.

You can record something via your original module (if it was not modified) and I will show the FX AID version settings matching it.
PARATEK - aesthetics of the Soviet cyberpunk!
Grid: http://www.modulargrid.net/e/vendors/view/749
insta: http://www.instagram.com/paratekorg/

User avatar
igorrr
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 776
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:52 am
Location: Ukraine

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by igorrr » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:44 am

Reverb Black Hole into Phaser effect added to the “Reverb” Category.
The same as other effects having Rate and Depth controls, once Rate is set to zero – Depth control works as manual/CV modulation.
Attachments
FX AID_BH into Ph.jpg

Squallaz
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:45 pm

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by Squallaz » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:56 am

can't wait to try this one out. igorr, is it possibile fo have a full stereo versione of the black hole and cloud reverb? Or do we have cpu constraints?

User avatar
igorrr
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 776
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:52 am
Location: Ukraine

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by igorrr » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:13 am

Original Black hole reverb is mono input stereo output. And it makes sense, because making stereo input reverb means setting some room dimensions to it. And there is none available for the black hole objects. If you need to use almost 100% wet reverb and preserve panning for impulsive sources – just set it 95% wet and 5% dry, like BigSky fakes it has stereo input for its reverbs.

User avatar
Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2698
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:14 pm
Location: ABQ,NM

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by Zymos » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:29 am

I was worried about updating after hearing about other people having a hard time. I sent the file from Audacity, didn’t even touch the volume, and it worked the first time!
maybe you’d like to buy some nice used modules? Free cables with purchase!!

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=235367&p=3313562&h ... s#p3313562

User avatar
igorrr
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 776
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:52 am
Location: Ukraine

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by igorrr » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:47 am

In most troubled cases it is device dependant. There can always be a ground loop between particular computer and modular case.
Also the audio should be played without any sound enhancers, notifications in the background, other interruptions. The file is 48 kHz, so some systems set to 44,1 kHz may play it with artifacts.
And the user should not twist the volume knob once the file is playing – this my hang the FX AID, so it becomes irresponsible and no lights are active. To reboot it: switch off the case power, press both buttons and while they are still pressed switch on the power. FX AID will reboot to firmware update mode with two inner leds blinking asking for the proper update.

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 489
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:05 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by zerodivide » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:13 am

igorrr wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:39 am
zerodivide wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:12 pm
The FXAid version sounds good in the demo but honestly it doesn't compare to the real module sadly. I did a side by side and they are quite different.
Going to have to keep my module
Actually it can closely mimic 99% of the Lo-Fi Junky sound.
The compressor has the same threshold and time parameters – the first part of the demo shows it on drums. Original thing has its attack portion hitting +12 V limit, so it clips at this high amplitude, mine version has lower amplitude, but the same clipping amount to match it.
BBD part has the same cut off frequency and slope. Also you can adjust that cut off frequency with SRR control making it brighter or darker if needed.
Original thing has a limited modulation depth on slow rates – mine has the same big range.
Noise is lower, but hardly anybody miss it. According to the Junky’s thread some users were sending their modules for modification, where compressor gain and threshold were reduced to have less noise.
Even LFO bleed to the output is modeled too.

You can record something via your original module (if it was not modified) and I will show the FX AID version settings matching it.
no disrespect meant Igorrr as I'm a huge fan of the FXaid. My pedal wobbles a lot faster than the FXaid's algorithm . Also the pedal has 3 different shapes for the pitch wobble. And it just colors the sound differently from my test. I think the FXAid patch is incredible and very useable I just don't think its a mirror copy

User avatar
Benoist
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:28 pm
Location: France

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by Benoist » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:11 am

The latest offline editor ( V 0.3.3 while the installer is still 0.2.6 ) put my Bit Defender on alarm while installing on 0.2.6 because it displayed ransomware behavior ( several FX files being encripted ) after restauration of encripted files it seems to work but at firmware generation Bit Defender went red again and wiped out the editor.

User avatar
igorrr
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 776
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:52 am
Location: Ukraine

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by igorrr » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:54 am

Offline editor should be added to the trusted sources, so antiviruses and other protective software do not interrupt its operation.

User avatar
acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2738
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:48 am
Location: Denmark

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by acidbob » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:59 am

Man Igor, I have to say, you are totally on fire, how do you even manage to sleep? This is just crazy.
My thought was with this module in 10 years, do we have a place to store all these effects in a safe place?

User avatar
igorrr
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 776
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:52 am
Location: Ukraine

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by igorrr » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:39 am

As soon as zombie apocalypse will be approaching, the users can save their favorite banks as firmware wav files. Also the offline editor will remember all effects available before the global internet shutdown.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”