FX AID - multi audio effect module

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Exit Chamber
Common Wiggler

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by Exit Chamber » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:06 pm

Bizarrely, I seem to get the best (as in, never fails) results playing the firmware file via the YouTube Music app on my phone at about 70% volume. For some reason other audio players tend to make it freak out at some point, but I've had success first go every time with YouTube Music's floating player.

axm311
Common Wiggler

Post by axm311 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:47 pm

Zymos wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:48 am
Glad you eventually got it to work, but using a phone, tablet or headphone out of a laptop and default media player is so much easier for most people!
Haha yeah I didn’t exactly take the path of least resistance but had an odd sense of determination to finish once I started in ableton. It didn’t even occur to me that you could use the web app and download / play the firmware from my phone!

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:06 pm

I have one of these on order. I imagine I'll just use the presets it ships with for a while but I'm wondering if there is any consensus, or if there's been a Muff Wiggler poll, for example, on which editor effects, particularly among the reverbs and delays, stand out.

Capta
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Capta » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:40 pm

I’m considering one of these. Can someone say how it works with live voice? I want something that will pitch-shift voice with as little distortion/artifacts as possible, but I can’t find any actual examples on Youtube. Thanks.

guidocbt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by guidocbt » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:26 am

Hi,
In fx aid can I apply 2 effects together and modulate them? For example reverb + delay.

Thanks

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:37 am

guidocbt wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:26 am
Hi,
In fx aid can I apply 2 effects together and modulate them? For example reverb + delay.

Thanks
The XL version has CV ins for all three knobs and some of the effects are combination effects. See the list of effects and what the knobs affect here: http://www.happynerding.com/wp-content/ ... X-List.pdf

Also, from Happy Nerdings site:
“The module is not limited to the factory selected 32 effects: FX AID can be reflashed with other user selected Happy Nerding effects in any order.”
Gaun Yersel!

Granular
Common Wiggler

Post by Granular » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:57 am

Since I loaded the Lofi Junky into my Effects Bank i have a real Problem with my FX Aid. I need a second one ;)

But I think I will wait if there is any news about the Xaoc Timiszoara.

xcc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by xcc » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:10 am

Granular wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:57 am
Since I loaded the Lofi Junky into my Effects Bank i have a real Problem with my FX Aid. I need a second one ;)

But I think I will wait if there is any news about the Xaoc Timiszoara.
Yeah, the FX Aid really should come in a two pack.

Kosmikos
Common Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:31 am

Voltcontrol wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:37 am
guidocbt wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:26 am
Hi,

Thanks
The XL version has CV ins for all three knobs and some of the effects are combination effects.
Not to forget that the non XL version as also one assignable CV for modulation duty.

Kosmikos
Common Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:36 am

xcc wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:10 am
Yeah, the FX Aid really should come in a two pack.
I’ve just ordered my 3rd one for my new overflow rack. I guess I’ll also need a fourth one for the overflow of the overflow. :hihi:

At which number do we get the golden Happy Nerding sticker and a free personalised reverb algorithm? ;)

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:38 am

Ok this may have come up earlier in the thread, but, you know, it is at 1760 posts now...

I just got an FX Aid, for the purpose of being a stereo filter that can also provide lots of other fun.
So I patch an envelope to the cv input (for controlling filter frequency) but I am like, whoa, what is wrong here? After working a bit with it, I have to conclude that there is a rather massive slew on the cv input.😣 Please correct me if I am wrong. I guess this is fine for controlling, say, a chorus rate, but for modulating a filter with an envelope with its attack set to zero, is... - well, you get a very sloppy attack. Like, forget percussive or plucky behavior.
I assume, that this slew is in place, to make up for a not-so-fast sampling rate on the cv input (to prevent stepping artifacts). But I am wondering if there is any hope for a software improvement of this cv in slew? At least for using Fx Aid as a filter, it feels rather limiting to me.
Ok, I understand filters was not the origin of this module, but I, as a late-comer, bought it with filters in mind, so I am a bit bummed about this cv input slew.

Granny
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Granny » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:28 am

LDT wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:38 am
But I am wondering if there is any hope for a software improvement of this cv in slew?
Short answer: nope. This comes with using the Spin-F1-Chip. Just wanted to add that I'm super happy with the filters on this thing. I rarely automodulate the effects I mostly use the FX AID with my Planar to sloooowly dive through sweet spots of different effects

igorrr
Ultra Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:51 am

Noise Station (Shapers category) is a stereo noise source with tunable colors. Full CW “Tune” position is for the white noise and the rest of the “Tune” knob rotation selects many different noise flavors. “Shape” knob does stereo field noise crossfade. “Tone” is the usual high/low frequency filtering.
Last edited by igorrr on Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

igorrr
Ultra Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:53 am

Regarding faster CV operation: - it is already at max rate, so filters can not be modulated faster than it is now, thus suitable for LPG kind of sounds only.

Biff
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Biff » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:54 am

Thank you so much Igor! This one looks especially fun.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:55 am

igorrr wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:53 am
Regarding faster CV operation: - it is already at max rate, so filters can not be modulated faster than it is now, thus suitable for LPG kind of sounds only.
Thanks.

SOPiiAC
Common Wiggler

Post by SOPiiAC » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:59 am

Ok, you just made my day with the new noise algo. My drum case just got a lot more glitchtastic!

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:05 am

Wow, that new program will be great for percussion sounds.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:06 am

Ooh, Noise Station is nice. I bet it's fun to modulate the sample rate with it too.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:55 pm

I'm having trouble with the editor app for Windows, v0.4.1. When I click "Get Firmware" the window goes invisible (but still blocks other windows and continues to run until killed).

I can open the saved bank in the web version of the editor and have it generate firmware, but then I'm missing the Oil Can Delay spin program I added to the program library (which used to work fine).

Removing the Oil Can Delay doesn't stop the Windows app from freezing, either.

ziggomatic
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ziggomatic » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:36 pm

igorrr wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:51 am
Noise Station (Shapers category) is a stereo noise source with tunable colors. Full CW “Tune” position is for the white noise and the rest of the “Tune” knob rotation selects many different noise flavors. “Shape” knob does stereo field noise crossfade. “Tone” is the usual high/low frequency filtering.
AWESOME thank you Igorr!!!!

lomma-kommun
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lomma-kommun » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:27 pm

igorrr wrote:
Omg THANK YOU!
I’ve been looking for a noise module but haven’t found what I was looking for and this really fits my needs!!!

tdallas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdallas » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:48 pm

lomma-kommun wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:27 pm
igorrr wrote:
Omg THANK YOU!
I’ve been looking for a noise module but haven’t found what I was looking for and this really fits my needs!!!
Since you like this you may also like a Reverse Landfill Noise? But I agree ... this new algorithm is fantastic! Unfortunately this is once again another feature which increases the pressure to buy more FX AIDs to use the effects simultaneously ;-)

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:05 am

wow, i wasn't that interested since i already have noise, but glad i looked, this is like byte-beat almost :)

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:52 am

bemushroomed wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:05 am
this is like byte-beat almost
:eek: been missing my equation composer since it died years ago! i'll definitely have to try this out.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”