FX AID - multi audio effect module

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by bemushroomed » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:45 am

dooj88 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:52 am
bemushroomed wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:05 am
this is like byte-beat almost
:eek: been missing my equation composer since it died years ago! i'll definitely have to try this out.
i don't think it byte-beat based, but it sure sounds like some of those sounds. I have one of my Ornament&Crime dedicated to byte-beat, tons of stuff you can do with that algoritm. Can really recommend it just for that alone 8-)

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:15 pm

My FX aid XL is outputting a humming/noise sound from the Right output. It seems to be impacted by the dry/wet pot. At full CCW there's no noise, then then noise appears until I move the dry/wet to noon, it goes away and comes back when turning CW.

My two small FX aid are dead silent so I wonder if my FX aid XL is defective. Anyone noticed any noise on their?

e: just for info Igor reached out to me to confirm it's not normal behavior. He reminded me happy nerding modules are covered by a lifetime warranty and that he will arrange for a replacement/repair. My other 2 FX aid are working flawlessly and are super quiet so in case anyone was on the fence because of my post; don't. Happy Nerding has been extremely responsive and professional (also I have 3 FX aid which should tell you how much I find this module useful)

Devilwidget
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Devilwidget » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:37 am

This has no doubt been answered upstream, but what is the difference between patches labelled with 'input' in their name? i.e. 'reverb shimmer' vs 'reverb shimmer input'?

lohacker
Ultra Wiggler

Post by lohacker » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:39 am

Devilwidget wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:37 am
This has no doubt been answered upstream, but what is the difference between patches labelled with 'input' in their name? i.e. 'reverb shimmer' vs 'reverb shimmer input'?
Normal Shimmer has the pitch shifter inside the reverb, so you get increasing up/down pitch effect, the input version doesn't and you'll have static pitch shifted decay.

Devilwidget
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Devilwidget » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:38 am

lohacker wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:39 am
Devilwidget wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:37 am
Normal Shimmer has the pitch shifter inside the reverb, so you get increasing up/down pitch effect, the input version doesn't and you'll have static pitch shifted decay.
A thousand thank you's from the great beyond.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:08 am

So, after using the FX Aid for some weeks, I have one great wish for a new delay algo (or just a small tweak to one of the existing ones:
I would love to have a delay with a much more brutal amount of feedback. Yes, the feedback knob should be one that you would need to handle with care, but we are adults, not?
Ideally, I would like it to have a resonant bandpass filter in the feedback chain, but I would be delighted, if I could just have a version of "Delay HP" with an increased feedback range. I would guess, that that is a very minor software tweak.
And yes, I know that letting the feedback run wild would most likely lead to some digital crunch, and that is all fine and expected.

maxl0rd
Common Wiggler

Post by maxl0rd » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:24 am

For something like that to be useable at all you would need a pretty good soft clipping algorithm in the feedback loop. None of the public domain code sounds particularly good, so the program might be underwhelming.

I have created runaway feedback by accident so many times while writing programs and I’m not sure it ever sounded good. :/

Kent
Curator/Janitor/Zookeeper

Post by Kent » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:46 am

LDT wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:08 am
So, after using the FX Aid for some weeks, I have one great wish for a new delay algo (or just a small tweak to one of the existing ones:
I would love to have a delay with a much more brutal amount of feedback. Yes, the feedback knob should be one that you would need to handle with care, but we are adults, not?
Ideally, I would like it to have a resonant bandpass filter in the feedback chain, but I would be delighted, if I could just have a version of "Delay HP" with an increased feedback range. I would guess, that that is a very minor software tweak.
And yes, I know that letting the feedback run wild would most likely lead to some digital crunch, and that is all fine and expected.
Have you looked at the Z-DSP? You have analog feedback right there on the module. Or use a matrix mixer, perhaps?

TVNoel
Common Wiggler

Post by TVNoel » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:00 am

LDT wrote:
If you can live with mono, then have you tried using the "Delay AUX" program on FXAid? This converts the Right out and in sockets into aux send and receive within the feedback loop. Could insert amplification and filtering into this chain to get really messy with your feedback.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:28 am

TVNoel wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:00 am
LDT wrote:
If you can live with mono, then have you tried using the "Delay AUX" program on FXAid? This converts the Right out and in sockets into aux send and receive within the feedback loop. Could insert amplification and filtering into this chain to get really messy with your feedback.
True, but just one minor software tweek, and things would be far simpler.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:30 am

Kent wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:46 am
LDT wrote:
Have you looked at the Z-DSP? You have analog feedback right there on the module. Or use a matrix mixer, perhaps?
I have tried Tiptop Echoz, and all modes have this very safe amount of feedback. And yes, I can create a stronger feedback in other ways, but that is besides my point.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:40 am

maxl0rd wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:24 am
For something like that to be useable at all you would need a pretty good soft clipping algorithm in the feedback loop. None of the public domain code sounds particularly good, so the program might be underwhelming.

I have created runaway feedback by accident so many times while writing programs and I’m not sure it ever sounded good. :/
Think of it this way: As things are with FX Aid, if I crank up feedback to max, let´s say we use "Delay HP", it will take quite a while for it to reach some kind of "self-oscillation". I would like to be able to go there faster, and then backup the feedback, as I did with all my (long gone) analog and early digital delays. If we say the feedback knob goes to 10 now, I would just like a version where it goes to 11. Simple as that.

Kent
Curator/Janitor/Zookeeper

Post by Kent » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:13 am

Kent wrote:
LDT wrote:

I have tried Tiptop Echoz, and all modes have this very safe amount of feedback. And yes, I can create a stronger feedback in other ways, but that is besides my point.
Z-DSP, my dude. Not the Echoz.

I think that the FX Aid is great. I don't own one but love the concept. User upload-able algos? Yes, please!
Not taking a dig at the FX Aid, to be clear. Just pointing out that the Z-DSP does what your are asking.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:03 pm

Kent wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:13 am
Kent wrote:
LDT wrote:

Z-DSP, my dude. Not the Echoz.

I think that the FX Aid is great. I don't own one but love the concept. User upload-able algos? Yes, please!
Not taking a dig at the FX Aid, to be clear. Just pointing out that the Z-DSP does what your are asking.
Oh, I am sure many modules does what I am after, but it is Fx Aid that is in my rack, and I am just looking for that small tweak of an algorithm.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:44 pm

LDT wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:40 am
If we say the feedback knob goes to 10 now, I would just like a version where it goes to 11. Simple as that.
Use the CV input for that, it seems to push beyond "10." However, there's an internal limiter or something and it doesn't get super dirty and nasty; for that you still need to use an external mixer and patch your own feedback.

I shudder at the idea of doubling the number of delay algorithms just to have versions with more feedback. And if it's only done for Delay HP and Delay LP, people are going to start asking why there isn't a "Delay into Input Dual Shimmer Extra Feedback."

(As a side note, I found you can "overclock" it a bit by using a negative CV into the sample rate... :mrgreen:)

Matt_L
Common Wiggler

Post by Matt_L » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:06 am

Have ya'll needed to attenuate your signals going into FX Aid that much? I just installed some new algos on my module and it seems like I've been clipping/crackling pretty quickly even with a lot of the parameters turned down.

tdallas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdallas » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:43 am

Matt_L wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:06 am
Have ya'll needed to attenuate your signals going into FX Aid that much? I just installed some new algos on my module and it seems like I've been clipping/crackling pretty quickly even with a lot of the parameters turned down.
Hi. Sometimes I have to do this depending on the source and the algorithm. Some details about the levels can be found here -> https://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3#p3270253

igorrr
Ultra Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:40 am

Shapers category is updated with “Filter 3-band EQ” effect.

Granny
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Granny » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:59 am

igorrr wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:40 am
sweet! :yay:

Accelra
Common Wiggler

Post by Accelra » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:52 am

Granny wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:59 am
igorrr wrote:
sweet! :yay:
Oooo that does sound nice. Might have to re-buy the FX Aid for stereo EQ. At least I won't need a cheatsheet with that!

zerodivide
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zerodivide » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:00 pm

Matt_L wrote:
Yup big time .and when I asked in here before nobody agreed this was an issue. Was thinking mine had issues. Or maybe I'm pushing volume levels beyond normal. Either way i have to pull my VCa down to like 30% before gojng into FxAid

Devilwidget
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Devilwidget » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:46 am

zerodivide wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:00 pm
Matt_L wrote:
Yup big time .and when I asked in here before nobody agreed this was an issue. Was thinking mine had issues. Or maybe I'm pushing volume levels beyond normal. Either way i have to pull my VCa down to like 30% before gojng into FxAid
Volume ranges within a euro system vary wildly, which is why others might not be having this issue. I have to turn down some 'hot' outputs going in to the fx aid (and every other euro fx module I have ever used, to be fair), but most modules go in just fine.

zerodivide
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zerodivide » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:50 am

Devilwidget wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:46 am

Volume ranges within a euro system vary wildly, which is why others might not be having this issue. I have to turn down some 'hot' outputs going in to the fx aid (and every other euro fx module I have ever used, to be fair), but most modules go in just fine.
yeah , the thing is my barometer is other modules. If I send to say Bead or Mimeophon and its fine, but its crackling like crazy in FXAid, it shows me it doesnt have the best input. Its not a huge deal , just a minor nuisance but its definitely there on my unit and affects my workflow somewhat. I can't just patch without hitting a VCA first. However, I may definitely be hitting my levels way too hot in the first place, I'll check in a DAW

Devilwidget
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Devilwidget » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:10 am

Also bare in mind that case power (and total power consumption) might be a factor. The mimephon is famous for needing an attenuated signal going in. Likewise, every mutable module I have ever owned has had a much hotter output than the rest of my system. It’s not the module, its the nature of eurorack.

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:26 am

igorrr wrote:
Sounds great and that Low boost really works my sub.
I'm looking for nothing at this moment in time

Return to “Eurorack Modules”