FX AID - multi audio effect module

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by LDT » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:56 am

Regarding my question about a delay with a bit more feedback: The Delay HP now has a feedback that "goes to elleven", and it works like a charm, perfect for my use. (Just crank the feedback a bit less, and you have the old MAX.)
Thanks Igor. :party:

igorrr
Ultra Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:49 am

Lo-Fi Junky with built in noise gate is added for those who do not need the tape hiss.
Attachments
NG.jpg

ritec
Common Wiggler

Post by ritec » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:30 am

igorrr wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:49 am
Lo-Fi Junky with built in noise gate is added for those who do not need the tape hiss.
Thanks so much!!

xcc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by xcc » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:39 pm

igorrr wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:49 am
Fantastic!

MindStasis
Common Wiggler

Post by MindStasis » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:47 pm

Is it weird to want 3 of these?

xcc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by xcc » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:50 pm

MindStasis wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:47 pm
No. I have three and felt a bit weird about it until I started considering a fourth.

MindStasis
Common Wiggler

Post by MindStasis » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:01 pm

I have an fx aid and an fx aid XL and seriously considering another fx aid XL... also considering switching the fx aid for another XL.

InsectInPixel
Common Wiggler

Post by InsectInPixel » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:17 pm

Has anyone compared an Eventide H9Max to compare with the FX Aid/XL? I realize the Eventide is a bit of a different format & no CV.
I make UnderBridge for the Elektron Analog Keys. https://youtu.be/dowAKQkFAE0

xcc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by xcc » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:53 pm

InsectInPixel wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:17 pm
Has anyone compared an Eventide H9Max to compare with the FX Aid/XL? I realize the Eventide is a bit of a different format & no CV.
They are a bit different, yeah. ;)

I haven't comparered them directly but I've had three H9 Max's in the recent past. I'd say the reverbs are on par or close enough. Everything else I prefer on the FX Aid (for what I would use both for at least). There are some neat algorithms on the H9 that the FX Aid can't do though.

InsectInPixel
Common Wiggler

Post by InsectInPixel » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:21 pm

xcc wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:53 pm
InsectInPixel wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:17 pm
They are a bit different, yeah. ;)

I haven't comparered them directly but I've had three H9 Max's in the recent past. I'd say the reverbs are on par or close enough. Everything else I prefer on the FX Aid (for what I would use both for at least). There are some neat algorithms on the H9 that the FX Aid can't do though.
Thanks for the feedback (pun intended)
I make UnderBridge for the Elektron Analog Keys. https://youtu.be/dowAKQkFAE0

Saladolar
Common Wiggler

Post by Saladolar » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:28 pm

MindStasis wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:01 pm
I have an fx aid and an fx aid XL and seriously considering another fx aid XL... also considering switching the fx aid for another XL.
Do you use the 3 CV inputs that often ?

virtualpt
Common Wiggler

Post by virtualpt » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:54 pm

MindStasis wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:47 pm
I have 2 & would add a third if I had room!

MindStasis
Common Wiggler

Post by MindStasis » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:53 pm

Saladolar wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:28 pm
MindStasis wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:01 pm
Do you use the 3 CV inputs that often ?
Not particularly but I like the extra space.

nexgen23
Common Wiggler

Post by nexgen23 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:04 pm

Anyone think there might be a chance there is a firmware to allow two effects (one on right and one on left)? I think it could be implemented (baring memory restrictions), would just need a button combo, or long hold to swap between the two, kind of like Peak's alternate firmware double ADSR) :)

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:49 am

nexgen23 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:04 pm
Anyone think there might be a chance there is a firmware to allow two effects (one on right and one on left)? I think it could be implemented (baring memory restrictions), would just need a button combo, or long hold to swap between the two, kind of like Peak's alternate firmware double ADSR) :)
pretty sure the spin chip is run to maximum capability with each effect, it came out in 2006 after all. better just get another fx aid :miley:

reverb did an article on the history of it a few years back if you're into that kind of thing: https://reverb.com/news/fv-1-chip-history-5-pedals

nexgen23
Common Wiggler

Post by nexgen23 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:36 pm

dooj88 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:49 am
nexgen23 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:04 pm
pretty sure the spin chip is run to maximum capability with each effect, it came out in 2006 after all. better just get another fx aid :miley:

reverb did an article on the history of it a few years back if you're into that kind of thing: https://reverb.com/news/fv-1-chip-history-5-pedals
Thats what I assumed :) I'm probably going to get a second one at some point, the damn thing is like the o_C/Disting/Maths of effects lol.

southberry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by southberry » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:06 am

The only bad point on this module is that if you don't have a good mixer before it to tame your source before FX AID (I use to mix my different voices outside the box) ... Most of my analog osc are too much for it , it cracks a lot and I need to be sure to sacrifice a VCA or mixer channel just to dial a right level before FX AID. Generally I need to tame my source by 40/60 % ... If the XL version had a input level I would have switch them ... for example my Mangrove is burning it each time I try to send it directly ... same for any distorsion module ... but otherwise it's a great great module

nexgen23
Common Wiggler

Post by nexgen23 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:20 am

southberry wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:06 am
The only bad point on this module is that if you don't have a good mixer before it to tame your source before FX AID (I use to mix my different voices outside the box) ... Most of my analog osc are too much for it , it cracks a lot and I need to be sure to sacrifice a VCA or mixer channel just to dial a right level before FX AID. Generally I need to tame my source by 40/60 % ... If the XL version had a input level I would have switch them ... for example my Mangrove is burning it each time I try to send it directly ... same for any distorsion module ... but otherwise it's a great great module
I just got my FX Aid last week and thought there was something wrong with it due to this. After taking the input via a vca, it was pure bliss!

wr0ng1
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wr0ng1 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:42 am

Same here. I was seriously concerned I had a duff unit.
All good now though.

igorrr
Ultra Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:22 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:23 am
If i only want to have let's say 3 effects on one of my FX AIDs, is that possible? It'll just scroll to number 3 and then back to 1 so that it's not really possible to get lost into empty or silent presets? If not that would be a request.. and yes, i do understand that i can add the same 3 over and over, but its not optimal imo..
Please note that the editor is now ignores empty slots, so those, who do not need all 32 effects, will have only the loaded effects selected by the knobs.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:14 pm

southberry wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:06 am
Sounds like you could need a Koma attenuator cable, to save the vca/mixer. They are bad for tiny adjustments, but for taking a level a good chunk down they are great. (And zero hp.)

waveglider
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by waveglider » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:21 pm

I am also finding that normal Euro signal levels are too hot for the FX Aid, can this be fixed in firmware or are we stuck having to attenuate everything going into it?

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:28 pm

Interesting, I find most of my sources are okay going directly into FX Aid and I need attenuation less frequently than, say, the E520 (despite its gain settings in the menu).

igorrr
Ultra Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:47 pm

“In-Out” program is added to the Shapers category, which does nothing and only passes input to the output. It should be used with 100% wet amount to test whether your input is too hot and clips after passing through the ADC-DAC.
Another option for distorted sound is internal clipping, which can arise with feedback effects like delays and reverbs with high Feedback or Decay amounts.
Anyway, if the user likes to play with cranked resonating filters, which in many designs reach full supply voltages, and wants to feed the result to the FX AID - attenuators should be used.
There is no free lunch: I can easily make some hardware adjustments, so euro levels will not overload the FX AID, but hardly most of the users will want to pay for it with the raised noise floor. And you will not be able to eliminate that added noise, but you can drop the hot levels before the FX AID and have optimum signal to noise ratio all the time.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:54 pm

i have no issue to input levels. in fact, some of the reverbs sound exquisite (like infinite and cloud) when the signal is a bit high. what's that thing everyone says again...? oh yeah..

:vcas:

use em.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”