FX AID - multi audio effect module

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by Zymos » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:19 pm

Good call on suggesting an attenuator cable. I have a few inline headphone volume controls, mostly for CV but once in a while I grab one for audio. They’re only a few bucks, everyone should have a couple.

But personally, I haven’t had any clipping issue with the FX Aid...

adaris
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adaris » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:25 pm

Yeah I haven't had any issues with input levels yet, but I would mention that Mazzatron makes a nice in-line attenuator with a knob that is bulkier but much easier to dial in than the KOMA cables.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:26 pm

igorrr wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:47 pm
“In-Out” program is added to the Shapers category, which does nothing and only passes input to the output. It should be used with 100% wet amount to test whether your input is too hot and clips after passing through the ADC-DAC.
Another option for distorted sound is internal clipping, which can arise with feedback effects like delays and reverbs with high Feedback or Decay amounts.
Anyway, if the user likes to play with cranked resonating filters, which in many designs reach full supply voltages, and wants to feed the result to the FX AID - attenuators should be used.
There is no free lunch: I can easily make some hardware adjustments, so euro levels will not overload the FX AID, but hardly most of the users will want to pay for it with the raised noise floor. And you will not be able to eliminate that added noise, but you can drop the hot levels before the FX AID and have optimum signal to noise ratio all the time.
I love your response to this new discussion. Thanks for the unflagging support.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:27 pm

adaris wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:25 pm
Yeah I haven't had any issues with input levels yet, but I would mention that Mazzatron makes a nice in-line attenuator with a knob that is bulkier but much easier to dial in than the KOMA cables.
The RYO Airtenuators are also great and of course a super easy build: https://synthcube.com/cart/ryo-airtenuator-pcb

Exit Chamber
Common Wiggler

Post by Exit Chamber » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:45 pm

ST Modular make little floating attenuators too (amongst other things like floating LPGs): https://www.st-modular.com/workmates.htm

nexgen23
Common Wiggler

Post by nexgen23 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:41 pm

Exit Chamber wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:45 pm
ST Modular make little floating attenuators too (amongst other things like floating LPGs): https://www.st-modular.com/workmates.htm
The Workmates are very useful looking, some of them I could probably fab myself, but others I'd happily pay for, alas I don't think they distribute to the US.

waveglider
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by waveglider » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:00 pm

Thank you Igor, you have always been very helpful with issues. I'll try the In-Out program and see if it is internal clipping with me adding too high feedback, I suspect this is the case.

igorrr wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:47 pm
“In-Out” program is added to the Shapers category, which does nothing and only passes input to the output. It should be used with 100% wet amount to test whether your input is too hot and clips after passing through the ADC-DAC.
Another option for distorted sound is internal clipping, which can arise with feedback effects like delays and reverbs with high Feedback or Decay amounts.
Anyway, if the user likes to play with cranked resonating filters, which in many designs reach full supply voltages, and wants to feed the result to the FX AID - attenuators should be used.
There is no free lunch: I can easily make some hardware adjustments, so euro levels will not overload the FX AID, but hardly most of the users will want to pay for it with the raised noise floor. And you will not be able to eliminate that added noise, but you can drop the hot levels before the FX AID and have optimum signal to noise ratio all the time.

maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by maudibe » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:18 am

Well, my long awaited FX-Aid XL arrived today: not yet plugged in ... arranging the case shortly, but I must say the panel is a thing of beauty :) It is better in the flesh than from photographs and video. Super impressed. Igor. Thank you!

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:33 pm

Exit Chamber wrote:
Oh wow, had no idea. The floating LPGs sound very good in the demo. Must build some

Exit Chamber
Common Wiggler

Post by Exit Chamber » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:25 pm

autopoiesis wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:33 pm
Exit Chamber wrote:
Oh wow, had no idea. The floating LPGs sound very good in the demo. Must build some
Yeah I'm keen to get some of them too. I built some of the attenuators which were a fun little five minute project. Would be a good place to start getting confident with a soldering iron for anyone that wants to start doing DIY stuff.

oliodnb
Common Wiggler

Post by oliodnb » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:49 am

starthief wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:28 pm
Interesting, I find most of my sources are okay going directly into FX Aid
Same here, is more common for me to boost up my sources before going into it to have the wet signal at a sufficient level than having to attenuate them.

maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by maudibe » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:52 am

Don't know what's going on with you guys - but I'm chucking Rings and Anti-Oscillator at it with no problem of clipping.... and I thought they are supposedly 'hot'.

Anyway... its a joy. Best bang for buck I have had for a while :)

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:17 pm

often depends on the source material the the particular effect. a raw wave form directly in tends to have a much higher chance clipping than a impulse. also depends on the effect and feedback (and other) settings.
but anyone with a modular should have plenty of ways to attenuate signals if/when needed if your doing it right :hihi:

ipassenger
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ipassenger » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:19 am

FX Aid XL and FM Aid arriving today. :goo: :goo:

igorrr
Ultra Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:19 am

Shaper category is updated with the “Sample & Hold” effect. It features sawtooth and triangle oscillators with their frequency set by the internal random generator sampled by the internal LFO. Also the frequency is set by external audio applied to Left input and sampled by the clock applied to Right input.
Left output – sawtooth.
Right output – triangle.
“Rate” – frequency (speed) of the internal LFO.
“Range” – spread of the internal random generator, defines oscillator’s frequency jumps.
“Shift” – plus and minus shift of the oscillator’s frequency.

SOPiiAC
Common Wiggler

Post by SOPiiAC » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:55 am

FX Aid is taking over the world! Thank you for all the awesome updates. My drum rack keeps getting better and better!

biproduct
Learning to Wiggle

Post by biproduct » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:30 pm

igorrr wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:06 am
exper wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:14 pm
Wondering if there could be a modified version of the clockable delay, with channel offset. I'm thinking left channel can follow external clock exactly 1:1, but the right channel gets offset from that but still remains in sync. Sort of like a ping pong without identical times.
Uploaded under “Delay Ping-Pong Sync” name.

Please note that sync delay programs do not need the sync (clock) input all the time. If it is not meant to be changed any more – this input is better to disconnect. It should be connected if some changes to the clock rate are done.
Hi Igor, thanks for all you do! Would it be possible to add a clockable ping pong delay that strictly follows the clock?

igorrr
Ultra Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:13 am

But it is already available for several months.
Attachments
P-P.jpg

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:15 am

Just got my FX Aid XL this weekend- holy crap, what a GREAT module. Might just add a 2nd to my case!

AThousandDetails
Common Wiggler

Post by AThousandDetails » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:16 am

got 2 of them, XL and Normal :D can't go wrong with them!

And i never had my FXaids clipping with ANYTHING!
Dogs are cool. Dogs rule over cats :D

bronzebygold
Common Wiggler

Post by bronzebygold » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:11 pm

igorrr wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:13 am
But it is already available for several months.
Hi Igor, Is there any plan to add a compression into reverb mode for FX AID?

igorrr
Ultra Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:00 pm

Reverb Saturated is available for a long time.

Kosmikos
Common Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:38 pm

The program that I think is missing is the special Igorrrverb to rule them all. :hihi:
Or maybe it already exists and I missed it?

I recently tried again the Clouds mode, I really love the long tail/decay on this one. I know there is a dark clouds version too, but I wish there were more variations of it.

pjay
Common Wiggler

Post by pjay » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:43 am

can't wait to get one! any clue on the availability of FX AID in the US? are they on the ever given?

Polarflux
Common Wiggler

Post by Polarflux » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:07 pm

Analog Haven got a batch over the weekend. Check the website and see if they still have them.
Reality is whatever refuses to go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K. Dick

Return to “Eurorack Modules”