FX AID - multi audio effect module

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by SavageMessiah » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:30 pm

The absurd process I was referring to was specifically the process of registering for the payment service. There is no way in 2020 that I am sending sensitive information like a scan of my damn drivers license or passport to some company for a purpose as inessential as buying a module. It's crazy to me that people would be willing to do that in today's threat environment, my PII has been stolen from far too many "secure" third parties (including the US government!) to take that chance when the alternative is just to wait. I'm not blaming Igor here, paypal does not send money to Ukraine, so he has to do what he has to do. Also not blaming anyone for the supply situation, it is what it is. I've just thought the situation was pretty unusual, which is why I commented.

hel1
Common Wiggler

Post by hel1 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:30 pm

guys, you've lived all your life without it, just cope for another couple of weeks, or months, or whatever.
like I do by the way.

it'll get there and you'll have your fun
like I will by the way.

relax...

adaris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adaris » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:48 pm

SavageMessiah wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:30 pm
The absurd process I was referring to was specifically the process of registering for the payment service. There is no way in 2020 that I am sending sensitive information like a scan of my damn drivers license or passport to some company for a purpose as inessential as buying a module. It's crazy to me that people would be willing to do that in today's threat environment, my PII has been stolen from far too many "secure" third parties (including the US government!) to take that chance when the alternative is just to wait. I'm not blaming Igor here, paypal does not send money to Ukraine, so he has to do what he has to do. Also not blaming anyone for the supply situation, it is what it is. I've just thought the situation was pretty unusual, which is why I commented.
I've ordered from Igor, and I'm in the U.S., and I didn't have to scan anything. I thought that was just for certain currencies or large amounts?

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:56 pm

adaris wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:48 pm
SavageMessiah wrote:
I've ordered from Igor, and I'm in the U.S., and I didn't have to scan anything. I thought that was just for certain currencies or large amounts?
That was the impression I got too but when I actually tried to do the deed it wouldn't let me proceed without the scans. Maybe I missed something :despair:. I just assumed that $200 was a large amount and left it at that.

adaris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adaris » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:05 pm

SavageMessiah wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:56 pm
adaris wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:48 pm
SavageMessiah wrote:
That was the impression I got too but when I actually tried to do the deed it wouldn't let me proceed without the scans. Maybe I missed something :despair:. I just assumed that $200 was a large amount and left it at that.
Weird, I've definitely never scanned anything, and I've ordered from Igor twice using TransferWise.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:12 pm

Company X is in Ukraine, and I’ve ordered from them with PayPal. Just FYI....

(Removed name, don’t want to get anyone in trouble)
Last edited by Zymos on Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:37 pm

As if I’m just pretending that PayPal can not be sent to Ukraine.
There is no legal way for Ukrainian accounts to receive transfers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:22 pm

I went back through my PayPal transactions and confirmed I ordered <a module> from <a company> They must have found some way to accept payments. Or maybe the policy changed since July 2018?

(Edited to remove incriminating details)
Last edited by Zymos on Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:47 pm

Nothing changed: PayPal does not remit to accounts in Ukraine, never did and 0,1% chance will ever do. My modules are available through dealers in most of the regions, so that is the way to get them.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:51 pm

Not saying you're wrong but Ukraine is listed as a country that you can use (send/receive)
https://www.paypal.com/en/webapps/mpp/country-worldwide

They should probably fix that if you cant use them..

Here's an article.
https://expatukraine.com/reader-questio ... n-ukraine/

"If you’re Ukrainian, you can basically forget about using Paypal. Ukrainians are not eligible to sign up for the service, due to ridiculous currency controls from the Ukrainian government."

Dave.ID
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Dave.ID » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:26 pm

Hopefully all of the conflicting posts just demonstrate how much everyone likes/wants the module :) I'm also very keen to get my hands on one. Do we know which UK retailers would be getting them and if there's any way we can get alerted when they are available again?

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:40 pm

Signal Sounds will get them in UK.

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:43 pm

So, a miracle happened and I now have an FX AID. There's some great sounding effects here but I noticed a lot of artifacts in some of the reverbs, especially at long decay times. Sounds like hard clipping, and this is even with the input attenuated quite a bit below normal modular 10vpp levels. Is this expected for FV-1 based modules, or is this maybe an artifact of the recent volume boost? It's easy to find spots that sound amazing and don't have problems but it's a little annoying.

Also, I may replace the knobs with those little mini ones. How do you get the current ones off? Just pull really hard?

Both of the grayhole reverbs are nuts, really looking forward to feeding some crazy drones into them :eek: :love: :hyper:

adaris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adaris » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:57 pm

SavageMessiah wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:43 pm
Also, I may replace the knobs with those little mini ones. How do you get the current ones off? Just pull really hard?
You can probably just pull them off with enough effort, but it will be easier if you use a pair of pliers, I would recommend one with plastic or nylon jaws to avoid scratching the knobs, although I've found the Davies knobs that the FX Aid comes with to be less prone to that than some other knobs.

I'm interested in what Igor has to say about the sound artifacts you mentioned, as I'm still using the original stock effects without the volume boost.

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:34 am

If you feed reverb with a constant sounding tone with “Decay” near its max position – there will be possibility for the clipping. You should decrease input level to avoid it or check another reverb algo. They all have different resonance frequencies, so some reverbs may not accumulate volume on that particular frequency and do not clip.
If the subject reverb algo has a “Tone” control, it can be used to tame volume accumulation. That is why many Big Sky’s reverbs have low frequency cut active all the time despite the maxed “Low End” control. They did it intentionally to avoid clipping on long guitar tones.

fileandplot
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fileandplot » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:26 pm

igorrr wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:34 am
If you feed reverb with a constant sounding tone with “Decay” near its max position – there will be possibility for the clipping. You should decrease input level to avoid it or check another reverb algo. They all have different resonance frequencies, so some reverbs may not accumulate volume on that particular frequency and do not clip.
If the subject reverb algo has a “Tone” control, it can be used to tame volume accumulation. That is why many Big Sky’s reverbs have low frequency cut active all the time despite the maxed “Low End” control. They did it intentionally to avoid clipping on long guitar tones.
Did this clear things up for the poster? Got
my FX Aid today and I am very pleased so far. Can’t wait to explore further.

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:40 pm

igorrr wrote:
It's a little disappointing that I can't just throw whatever I want at it and have it work since none of the other eurorack reverbs I've used have this issue, maybe they have some kind of limiters or the like in there. However I played with it a bunch more today and had a lot less problems. As you say, you definitely have to tweak your gain and settings for the material you're using, but with a little bit of fiddling I didn't have any trouble getting the results I wanted without clipping. This will definitely make using the CV control a bit trickier, it seems like it will be important to test drive the modulation source and make sure it doesn't cause anything bad to happen. I've noticed sometimes you can get crazy swells of feedback in both grayhole heavy and chorale (love this one too, holy crap) and probably others when you sweep controls like gravity or resonance when there is already a lot of decay built up, even if there's no input at the moment. My only real concern at this point is that if I feed generative stuff into it I need to make sure that it can't produce long tones (or long runs of short tones) that could push it into clipping. I doubt that will be a problem in practice either.

tldr; the problem is real and a bit annoying but it's certainly not going to keep me from enjoying the hell out of this thing. Might have to get another when the supply/demand situation is a bit better.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:24 am

SavageMessiah wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:40 pm

It's a little disappointing that I can't just throw whatever I want at it and have it work since none of the other eurorack reverbs I've used have this issue,
Guess you don't have the z-dsp... clipped like crazy, they try to make it sound like a feature in the manual though.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:03 am

SavageMessiah wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:40 pm

It's a little disappointing that I can't just throw whatever I want at it and have it work since none of the other eurorack reverbs I've used have this issue, maybe they have some kind of limiters or the like in there.
its posts like this who make some Manufacturers doing fear driven decissions.
But: i totally get it that there are different use cases.

personally i´m *very* happy that the wet gain has been adjusted,
since its important for the more wiggly jamms with your Reverbs that the wet/dry levels are equal.

On the other side would i not create here a per se relation to the wet-level corrected FX. ( my concern was btw. only on the Reverbs )
Since input gains and the input stage of the FX might play here a role........independent of the corrected dry/wet leveling.
Well, the question is: is there a relation ?

On another note: Eurorack has *definitly* NOT a consistent levelling throughout all the modules !
some throw out +-10V ( 20V pp) some just +-5V (10V pp).
I personally have NO cliping issues with my FXaid and the signals i send in ! ( all my used FX are now the wet-level corrected ones)
But: i think the Spin chip based FX´s are a bit on the picky side ( can just compare to ZDSP mkII. also had a ZDSP mkI )

And: when i went first thru all the FX to check them out, ( the mkI FX´s w.o. wet-level corrected FX/Reverbs)
have i also experienced that some FX were clipping. There was a little inconsistency between them all,
then well, just tame your incoming levels upfront, no ?
I for example have a HN 3x Stereo mixer beside the FXaid. Problem solved ! in fact many "problems" solved at once. ;)

And as has been sayed by Igor:
igorrr wrote:
If the subject reverb algo has a “Tone” control, it can be used to tame volume accumulation.
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:11 am

Most of the algorithmic reverbs out there will be internally clipping at high Decay values and constant tones as input. You can check it with VST reverbs too: just play sines to the input and you will pick those notes that cause clipping. Pedal reverbs are also clipping.
Erbe Verb has saturators to prevent clipping, because it is designed with self oscillation in mind.
I will upload saturated reverb, so it can be safely used for those weird cases.

fileandplot
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fileandplot » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:52 am

igorrr wrote: I will upload saturated reverb, so it can be safely used for those weird cases.
Thank you. :cheers

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:42 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:24 am
Guess you don't have the z-dsp... clipped like crazy, they try to make it sound like a feature in the manual though.
igorrr wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:11 am
Most of the algorithmic reverbs out there will be internally clipping at high Decay values and constant tones as input. You can check it with VST reverbs too: just play sines to the input and you will pick those notes that cause clipping. Pedal reverbs are also clipping.
Erbe Verb has saturators to prevent clipping, because it is designed with self oscillation in mind.
I will upload saturated reverb, so it can be safely used for those weird cases.
My other experience is with pico DSP, 2hp verb, and erbe-verbe. Come to think of it I have gotten pico dsp to clip pretty easily but the effects didn't seem as audible. Never had any problems with the latter 2 and now I see that erbe-verbe may not be the most fair comparison. Thanks for adding a saturated reverb, I'm sure I'll get some use out of it. Seems like the problem here was mostly my expectations, good to have learned something useful from this!

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:27 pm

Can someone verify the direction for the power ribbon on the back of their FXAID? I had to remove it from my case for a second, and forgot to look at it before I disconnected it. There is a slight silver dash above the right side, but I'm not going to just trust that it means negative...

Thanks!
Current system:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/5549

FS/T: Various Euro:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=221800

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:40 pm

That line shows negative. And there is reverse power protection anyway.

Granny
Common Wiggler

Post by Granny » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:27 pm

is there a chorus or stereo delay on the unit, that creates the haas effect or makes it easy to create it?
and would it be possible to create different filters?

different dual mono effects seem possible
http://www.spinsemi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=765

Return to “Eurorack Modules”