FX AID - multi audio effect module

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Mabuse
Common Wiggler

Re: FX AID - multi audio effect module

Post by Mabuse » Wed May 06, 2020 7:42 am

BananaPlug wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 5:46 pm
I've mostly used old school spring reverbs, which have there own set of pros and cons. So now I'm getting up to speed on the FX Aid algorithms, trying to achieve relatively subtle natural sounding spatial effects. An issue I'm having is that the reverb tails sound mostly like grainy noise rather than the source material. That's just my impression, not necessarily fact. It's less distracting when turned down low.

There's still some plate and reverb algos I haven't tried. So far the best from the default algos is either Reverb Room Stereo or Reverb Hall Medium, with about 10 to 15% wet. Both are decent. I think "Room" was smoother but noisier. Any pointers?
ofcourse you have tried lowering the tone parameter? i set it to somewhere arround 10 o clock…

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Wed May 06, 2020 9:28 am

davide3737 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:08 am
So what about all the other FX that you've produced? All I'm seeing when running both the standalone program and the app are the 32 that ship with the module.
Left mouse click on any of the 32 slots brings you to chose the available effects.

Stereo " Tremolo into Reverb" added to the Modulation category. It has true stereo pass for both tremolo and reverb.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thebrotherspus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thebrotherspus » Wed May 06, 2020 9:39 am

igorrr wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:28 am
Stereo " Tremolo into Reverb" added to the Modulation category. It has true stereo pass for both tremolo and reverb.
Nice! I can't wait to try it. Thanks igorrr!

davide3737
Common Wiggler

Post by davide3737 » Wed May 06, 2020 9:55 am

igorrr wrote:
davide3737 wrote:
So what about all the other FX that you've produced? All I'm seeing when running both the standalone program and the app are the 32 that ship with the module.
Left mouse click on any of the 32 slots brings you to chose the available effects.

Aha. Thanks.

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Wed May 06, 2020 10:01 am

Mabuse: Yes, lowering tone does diminish the breathy exhale but can get too dark. It's a balancing act.

Imagine a high pitched, somewhat resonant, high pass filter making little 'tink' sounds and random S&H provides CV for the filter frequency. I want the reverb tail to retain some sense of the pitches of those sounds.

Funny how listening to combinations of just a few knobs, with a variety of sound sources, can leave you in a daze. Have to stop and go back with fresh ears.

xcc
Common Wiggler

Post by xcc » Wed May 06, 2020 11:15 am

igorrr wrote:
davide3737 wrote:

Wait, what?! That's awesome!. Can't wait to try this out. What sort of reverb is it? Fingers crossed for a Flint 80's plate (best reverb ever?) but spring would be really cool too.

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Wed May 06, 2020 11:21 am

It is more like hall reverb.

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Wed May 06, 2020 12:29 pm

trem->reverb
Throw that into fuzz and we're all going to sound like My Bloody Valentine!

xcc
Common Wiggler

Post by xcc » Wed May 06, 2020 12:30 pm

rayultine wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:29 pm
trem->reverb
Throw that into fuzz and we're all going to sound like My Bloody Valentine!
Yup!

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Wed May 06, 2020 4:00 pm

My first time with the editor. Just for clarity...

So, within the Editor we can edit a "bank" and use Save and Open buttons to move bank info to the computer as a json file.
Then to get that our bank info to the device I suppose the next thing is to click Get Firmware. That generates a .wav file and I'm assuming playing that to the device installs BOTH the firmware AND the bank info currently seen in the editor. Correct?
Here is the biggest part of the available effects. FX AID runs 32 effects at once, but not limited to this amount. I will provide the easy way of reflashing the factory effects with the desired ones in any order. Will add the possibility to run freely available third party effects too.
Easy reflashing means the following: playing 40 sec long “wav” file with line level to CV input.
Reflashing mode: hold both buttons for 10 sec. This part is already done. Web editor to select the desired effects and generate that “wav” file is to be done yet.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Wed May 06, 2020 4:05 pm

Correct.

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Wed May 06, 2020 4:34 pm

You do not need to save bank itself unless required. Web editor and app will keep the last state the next time opened.

greyscales
Learning to Wiggle

Post by greyscales » Wed May 06, 2020 9:56 pm

Got a silver and a black FX Aid from Signal Sounds in today! Easily the fastest international shipping I've ever experienced (ordered 5 days ago) let alone during a pandemic. Beyond impressed with them.

I have a lot of exploration to do but the Delay Magneto amazed me on first pass through. Can't wait to dig in more! Great work, Igor!

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Thu May 07, 2020 5:16 am

Please be informed that last runs of FX AID use D-shaft knobs for controls 1-3 and T18 shaft for D/W knob. Previously all were T18 shafts.
Please understand that with the current shortage of supplies one needs to use whatever is available. D/W potentiometer is placed rotated thus can use the same D-shaft knobs.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Thu May 07, 2020 6:18 am

Damn Brandon, that sounds awesome!

Tonefloat01
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonefloat01 » Thu May 07, 2020 9:20 am

greyscales wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:56 pm
Got a silver and a black FX Aid from Signal Sounds in today! Easily the fastest international shipping I've ever experienced (ordered 5 days ago) let alone during a pandemic. Beyond impressed with them.
Indeed, Signal has sent me 4 items so far and they have all come within a week from ordering they even beat a store from Los Angeles :tu:
The space you occupy determines the time that you live in.

Black_Materia
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Black_Materia » Thu May 07, 2020 5:36 pm

Love signal sounds. They're the only store that's ever contacted me to tell me an item was not in stock and if it was okay if they sent me another colour. Other stores will just sit on the money till it's back in stock or you inquire about the delay.

black_label
Common Wiggler

Post by black_label » Fri May 08, 2020 12:42 am

My FX Aid showed up yesterday. First impression is a) that I’ll use it on just about every patch b) it’s probably never leaving my rack and c) I need two.

southberry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by southberry » Fri May 08, 2020 4:25 am

Igor ... Any idea when a second (third ?) batch will be available in EU ?
no stress , I know the situation is complicated. EU post services seems to back to normal but I guess the problem is more about chinese parts ?

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Fri May 08, 2020 4:53 am

I have no idea. Still waiting for the confirmations regarding my reservation of some critical parts.

xcc
Common Wiggler

Post by xcc » Fri May 08, 2020 2:30 pm

black_label wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:42 am
My FX Aid showed up yesterday. First impression is a) that I’ll use it on just about every patch b) it’s probably never leaving my rack and c) I need two.
Ditto. Just received my second.

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Fri May 08, 2020 2:37 pm

Tonefloat01 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:20 am
greyscales wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:56 pm
Indeed, Signal has sent me 4 items so far and they have all come within a week from ordering they even beat a store from Los Angeles :tu:

my FXaid came from Signal Sounds to LA also, in just 4 days. was so happily surprised

xxeyes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xxeyes » Sat May 09, 2020 3:12 pm

Are these still in stock anywhere? How long until the next batch?

greyscales
Learning to Wiggle

Post by greyscales » Fri May 15, 2020 4:22 pm

Just updated one of my FX Aids and wanted to shout out how easy it was to do.
I ran the wav file out of my MacBook Air at half volume from the headphone jack and it worked perfectly. Full volume gave an error.

The updater interface is surprisingly easy to navigate. I appreciate being able to drag algos once they are picked to create a playlist. Helps a lot with organization after filling all of the slots.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”